Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree49Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2012, 07:24 AM   #1921
Swapper of the Month March 2012

I chuckle at this thought because you have me saving all those now and my laundry room closet is overflowing with bags of tp rolls and paper towel rolls waiting to be stuff. I have a couple bags of lint too and a box of candle remnants that I'll use too for them. They work awesome!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrappinCEO View Post
Good morning girls!
Wow... what a temperature difference! We've gone from temps over 100 last week to barely hitting the 80's this week. No humidity... feels like fall. Ask me if I'm disappointed LOL. Was so tired of the heat.

With the cooler temps I'm starting to think about crocheting again. I'm determined to finish the hats/ scarves for the mitten tree this year. That will totally empty a tub out of the sewing room.

I do know I'm taking one day next week and deep cleaning the garden shed. I don't think we're in for any wind today so thought I might start on fire starters. I'd love to get those 3 tubs (2 of TP roll sections and 1 of dryer lint) out of the shed.

Can you tell I"m getting in a fall cleaning mode? hehe
How's everyone else doing?

I'm Stampin' Good Deeds, Are You?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 09-10-2012, 07:26 AM   #1922

I haven't made Christmas ornaments in years though I used to crochet angels and snowflakes for them then. I was thinking about making some out of stamped Polymer clay this year, jsut don't know if I'll get around to doing them with all else going on. I also have a Babylock machine that does the embroidery that I want to try to make some with too, maybe ministockings to hold gift cards and hang on the tree. Just need about 48 extra hours in each day to do it....
I'm also a Blessings Unlimited Consultant so most of my Christmas shopping in already done this year between that and my swaps items. My family went to doing a secret santa thing a couple years ago, so until I get that person's name and wish list, I can't do that one's shopping and we give each of the kids some cash/gift cards each year, but otherwise, I'm done! I do have to make my cards yet though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SummerBreeze View Post
Hi everybody! Who's making their own Christmas ornaments this year? I'm crocheting ornaments, star garlands and a little Christmas tree. I post some pics later. I know I owe you ladies lots of pics, but things have crazy lately. The microwave committed suiside, relatives have been theatening to visit( which would be fine if the house was not in the middle of being redecorated!) and my father is going to have heart surgery on Tue. Oh boy, I feel a long couple of months ahead!

Old 09-10-2012, 08:15 AM   #1923
Pearl-ExPert

I found a really cute daisy pattern for a tawashi on Ravelry last Christmas...very easy! Used tulle for the center and acrylic for the petals...."unfortunately" they were so cute my mom refuses to use them!! Talk about defeating the purpose...

(Edit) sometimes I'm a little slow...just now realized there were more pages after the tawashi posts! LOL
Old 09-10-2012, 05:29 PM   #1924
CBC Lady Violet

Quote:
Originally Posted by StampinGoodDeeds View Post
I haven't made Christmas ornaments in years though I used to crochet angels and snowflakes for them then. I was thinking about making some out of stamped Polymer clay this year, jsut don't know if I'll get around to doing them with all else going on. I also have a Babylock machine that does the embroidery that I want to try to make some with too, maybe ministockings to hold gift cards and hang on the tree. Just need about 48 extra hours in each day to do it....
I'm also a Blessings Unlimited Consultant so most of my Christmas shopping in already done this year between that and my swaps items. My family went to doing a secret santa thing a couple years ago, so until I get that person's name and wish list, I can't do that one's shopping and we give each of the kids some cash/gift cards each year, but otherwise, I'm done! I do have to make my cards yet though.

I saw something on pinterest about being able to stamp on ornaments made out of salt dough. I may do some investigation into that.
Old 09-10-2012, 05:33 PM   #1925
CBC Lady Violet

Quote:
Originally Posted by galet1 View Post
I found a really cute daisy pattern for a tawashi on Ravelry last Christmas...very easy! Used tulle for the center and acrylic for the petals...."unfortunately" they were so cute my mom refuses to use them!! Talk about defeating the purpose...

(Edit) sometimes I'm a little slow...just now realized there were more pages after the tawashi posts! LOL
I did a google search last night (and discovered that google does not know the difference between crochet and knit........) and have bookmarked a few. Actually made one last night which is pretty much just hdc after the beginning chain. It turned out HUGE though - about 9x9. If I made it again I think I would reduce the foundation chain by a few stitches. Intend to do a search on ravelry as well. Don't know why I didn't do that BEFORE I bought the book. I did bookmark one pattern on etsy ($2) which seems to use just small sections - kind of a log cabin quilt block effect and may get that at some point. I have a ton of cotton yarn left over from the puppets I made last year, so lots of yarn in lots of colours to choose from.
Old 09-15-2012, 08:17 PM   #1926
CBC Lady Violet

Have abandoned the tawashi book for now, and just gone with freebie patterns I found around the net. Have crocheted five dishcloths so far this week, all different patterns. Hope to do a couple more, then will repeat all the patterns in different colours I think.
Old 09-18-2012, 04:00 PM   #1927
Pearl-ExPert

I used to make things with salt dough... Stamping it sounds fun. My little people would like that too.

I've been hookin' up a storm lately, too.
Attached Thumbnails
09-16-12_3306.jpg  
Old 09-18-2012, 05:43 PM   #1928

Oooooooooo, Christina --- Do tell more about it! Very cute!

Old 09-21-2012, 02:52 PM   #1929
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by StampinGoodDeeds View Post
I chuckle at this thought because you have me saving all those now and my laundry room closet is overflowing with bags of tp rolls and paper towel rolls waiting to be stuff. I have a couple bags of lint too and a box of candle remnants that I'll use too for them. They work awesome!
I didn't get outside to work as I'd hoped. They're all still in the shed. It turned very warm back then and just not good for getting wax to harden. hehe.

I was lucky enough a couple years ago to visit a candle place in Eureka Springs AR that was going out of business. I bought 2 big totes full of candle remnants for $50. Some are perfumed and I can break them up into my candle warmer. But then there was a lot that was undecipherable as to the scent and is perfect for these (which is why I snagged the tubs in the first place )
Old 09-21-2012, 02:55 PM   #1930
Stazon Splitcoast

Christina the throw is lovely. Very colorful and perfect for snuggling with a book.
Old 09-24-2012, 09:21 AM   #1931

I keep all the candle remains in their jars in a box, then when we start using the wood stove, I just set them on top of that to warm up/melt, then go stuff the rolls and rubber band them together to stand up, then pour the melted wax in them as I go.

Old 09-26-2012, 02:23 PM   #1932
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Christina the throw is lovely. Very colorful and perfect for snuggling with a book.
Thank you! It's still a work in progress. I'm making it up as I go along. How are you?
Old 09-27-2012, 09:51 AM   #1933

I got out an afghan the other evening, this Fall weather is perfect for it... loving it!

Old 09-27-2012, 01:09 PM   #1934
Mad Swapper

HI Gang! Feels like I have been off the grid more than I have!LOL DF is doing great and is making a wonderful recovery, thanks to the good Lord above. Have lots to show you when I get a minute. HUGS
Old 09-28-2012, 05:28 AM   #1935
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christina612 View Post
Thank you! It's still a work in progress. I'm making it up as I go along. How are you?
Everything is fine here, Christina. Freelance business is picking up. I've just been really busy. I keep eyeing the crochet tub and plan to take a portion of it upstairs soon. I'm ready for a crochet hook project. You guys ready for fall?

I miss fall in VA.
Old 09-28-2012, 05:31 AM   #1936
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
HI Gang! Feels like I have been off the grid more than I have!LOL DF is doing great and is making a wonderful recovery, thanks to the good Lord above. Have lots to show you when I get a minute. HUGS
Glad to hear DF is doing well. Can't wait to see what you are bringing to show and tell!
Old 09-28-2012, 10:38 AM   #1937
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Yay for DF! So glad he's doing well! Can't wait to see what you're making. I need to start some Christmas projects and stop fooling around with all the other yarny distractions... I'm just not the kind of girl who can settle down and make "Christmas" things in the summer. I have to start 'feeling' it, lol.
Old 09-28-2012, 10:41 AM   #1938
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Everything is fine here, Christina. Freelance business is picking up. I've just been really busy. I keep eyeing the crochet tub and plan to take a portion of it upstairs soon. I'm ready for a crochet hook project. You guys ready for fall?

I miss fall in VA.
I am always ready for fall! We all love it. We joke about moving north to avoid the hot summers. I hope to get some fall decor out this weekend. Of course, that was the plan last weekend too and it didn't happen, lol. The guys will be busy all day tomorrow, so Sweet P and I should be able to play and decorate a bit.

The worst part about fall in VA here is the stink bugs. They are awful! Apparently they've only just moved into the area in recent years. Last fall wasn't terrible, but the fall before that was bad and I think it's going to be bad again from the looks of our windows. Anyone else live in an area with these critters?
Old 09-29-2012, 07:18 AM   #1939
Mad Swapper

Yes, we have the "little darlings." Indiana has lots of those Creep Crawlies that no one wants---and stick bug are one them. Fortunately, they don't much more than just looking around, observing everything. The real problem is ladybugs! They get so bad here; they get in and on the the house and gardening shed! YUCK! I think they stink worse than stink bugs!
Old 09-30-2012, 06:29 AM   #1940
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Yes, we have the "little darlings." Indiana has lots of those Creep Crawlies that no one wants---and stick bug are one them. Fortunately, they don't much more than just looking around, observing everything. The real problem is ladybugs! They get so bad here; they get in and on the the house and gardening shed! YUCK! I think they stink worse than stink bugs!
Those 'lady' bugs are actually Asian beetles. If you spray around your window frames with Home Defense where they are coming in, they'll crawl through it and die. Very easy to vaccum up. Doesn't help the smell, they still stink hehe. They live in the ground and come up when it gets really warm. They also leave nasty black tracks on your walls and woodwork that is almost impossible to wash away.
Old 10-02-2012, 06:03 AM   #1941
Pearl-ExPert

Good golly, I didn't know lady bugs could be such a bother, much less stink! Hope you are all having a good week!
Old 10-04-2012, 02:11 PM   #1942
Stazon Splitcoast

stopping for a check in. We are having a rather warm day (80's) before a cold snap comes through. I've already moved my cacti to the green house and dug out the tub of garden sheets for covering my lavendar and late tomatoes.

Took a walk through the orchard last night. I have new growth on my apple trees. Those poor babies are in for a shock. They said on the news today lots of spring flowering trees are starting to set buds but that it won't hurt them come spring they'll just have fewer blooms. nature's way of thining them out as the horticulturalist put it.
Old 10-05-2012, 12:40 PM   #1943

We had tons of lady bugs before but never a stink from them. Now these stink bugs on the other hand are driving me insane. We have collected a couple hundred a day lately. Nothing you can do to kill them, jsut collect them and drop them in the toilet and flush away or put in soapwater jars til they drown and then get rid of them. EVERYWHERE! I get more exercise each day from collecting stink bugs constantly and taking them to the toilets than I do if I went for walks! UGH!

Old 10-05-2012, 12:41 PM   #1944

Kelly, you missed the party yesterday. Christina and I finally met in person!!! It was a great and blessed day. Her kids are so awesome, had a fun time at Natural Bridge. Wish you'd been there too!

Old 10-06-2012, 06:11 AM   #1945
Pearl-ExPert

It was Sooo great to meet you and your family! We enjoyed our time with you ALL so much. We need to do it again. Come on out and join us, ladies!

And Happy Weekend to everyone. The fall weather is GORgeous this morning!
Old 10-06-2012, 08:06 AM   #1946
Polyshrink Goddess

I couldn't believe it when I checked out the forums and this thread was at the top of the list. I only went into forums because I wanted to see if there was anyone out there that like to crochet. I just learned to crochet recently. So far, I've made three baby blankets and am working on a fourth. I would love to learn to read a pattern though. I can't figure out what the pattern is trying to tell me or what pictures are showing. I'm much better when I can see it done live and ask questions.

So does anyone in FL crochet? Maybe someone near Tampa???
Old 10-06-2012, 11:50 AM   #1947
Polyshrink Goddess

Wow! I hope I didn't scare everybody away. I just really need some help with crochet. I'm getting a little tired of baby blankets. I'd like to make some baby caps though. I actually have a cool pattern for making a reuseable shopping bag - I'd love to try that one but don't know how to crochet in the round.

Anyone want to help??
Old 10-06-2012, 12:33 PM   #1948
Mad Swapper

Hi there! Welcome! I have only recently learned other things in crochet orther than the chain stitch. LOL! I am still in the learning process aswell. Don't know much about crocheting in the round either. This is one of those things I haven't learned yet. I'm more of a doily person. LOVE doilies! I'm the Doily Lama. LOL!! Just kidding-- I've always wanted to say that. Don't worry, there are some very accomplished crocheters on here. Maybe we can both learn something new! Hugs!
Old 10-06-2012, 12:37 PM   #1949
Polyshrink Goddess

Talking

Quote:
I'm the Doily Lama. LOL!!
Hahaha. Love it!

I'm hoping there's someone hungry for cookies. I'll back (from scratch even) if someone will just help me. See I'm not above bribing for help with chocolate chips.
Old 10-06-2012, 12:46 PM   #1950
Mad Swapper

*sniff* *sniff* *sniff*

That's dirty. Bribing with cookies! You should be ashamed of yourself!

Not a bad idea. Maybe I should try it. LOL!
Old 10-06-2012, 02:28 PM   #1951
CBC Lady Violet

Quote:
Originally Posted by StampnCroplady View Post
Wow! I hope I didn't scare everybody away. I just really need some help with crochet. I'm getting a little tired of baby blankets. I'd like to make some baby caps though. I actually have a cool pattern for making a reuseable shopping bag - I'd love to try that one but don't know how to crochet in the round.

Anyone want to help??
If you could post the part of the pattern you are stuck on, perhaps some of the more experienced in this thread could help. It is hard to help without knowing the specifics of the problem.
Old 10-06-2012, 06:36 PM   #1952
Polyshrink Goddess

Thanks, but I'd have to post the whole thing. I'm not sure how to even start. I guess I should tell you that the baby blankets I've done, I've actually created the pattern for. My mother-in-law was impressed and she's knows crochet (and hand-quilting) and said they looked great.
Old 10-06-2012, 06:52 PM   #1953
CBC Lady Violet

Quote:
Thanks, but I'd have to post the whole thing. I'm not sure how to even start. I guess I should tell you that the baby blankets I've done, I've actually created the pattern for. My mother-in-law was impressed and she's knows crochet (and hand-quilting) and said they looked great.
If you aren't sure how to start, then post the beginning for us.
You could also search the pattern name on ravelry and youtube - you may find help there.
also, if you search youtube, there are a ton of tutorials for crocheting in the round, so maybe one of those will help with whatever it is you are stuck on?
crochet in the round - YouTube
Old 10-06-2012, 07:08 PM   #1954
Mad Swapper

Yeah! Or try Googling it. Google has been a friend to me in my research and study of crochet. I also have several great books that have taught me well.
Old 10-07-2012, 06:15 AM   #1955
Polyshrink Goddess

Thanks. I never think about trying YouTube. I'll try that first to see if I can get a better idea and maybe that will get me started.
Old 10-08-2012, 09:13 AM   #1956
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Thanks. I never think about trying YouTube. I'll try that first to see if I can get a better idea and maybe that will get me started.
Well, this is just such a shame... I would love to help you AND eat your cookies! I'm just no where near Tampa, lol! I'll help you on line though!

Welcome to the thread!
Old 10-08-2012, 09:14 AM   #1957
Pearl-ExPert

Susan, DD has asked for your DH since Thursday. Just thought he should know he has a new fan...
Old 10-08-2012, 10:49 AM   #1958
Watercolor Wizard

Hi everyone,

Wanted to share something cute and quick to make for Christmas gifts. They are spiral scarves, really more for looks and fun than to keep you warm, lol.

They don't take much yarn, and you can use any kind. You can use up leftovers, or buy new yarn. They are made with only double crochet and are easy for a beginner.

StampTaylor has another thread going for Christmas gifts and she suggested pairing them with fuzzy socks, which I think make great little gifts. I've already made about 10 of them.

Here is a link:

Dyeabolical®: Spiral Crochet Scarf Pattern

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Old 10-08-2012, 02:31 PM   #1959
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christina612 View Post
Well, this is just such a shame... I would love to help you AND eat your cookies! I'm just no where near Tampa, lol! I'll help you on line though!

Welcome to the thread!
I wish you were here too.
Old 10-08-2012, 02:32 PM   #1960
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggainok View Post
Hi everyone,

Wanted to share something cute and quick to make for Christmas gifts. They are spiral scarves, really more for looks and fun than to keep you warm, lol.

They don't take much yarn, and you can use any kind. You can use up leftovers, or buy new yarn. They are made with only double crochet and are easy for a beginner.

StampTaylor has another thread going for Christmas gifts and she suggested pairing them with fuzzy socks, which I think make great little gifts. I've already made about 10 of them.

Here is a link:

Dyeabolical®: Spiral Crochet Scarf Pattern
Love the spiral scarf. I'll have to check out the patter later. I'll try to find StampTaylor's thread.