Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree49Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2012, 04:28 PM   #1881
Mad Swapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrappinCEO View Post
LOL I plant plenty to share with the creatures. They need to eat too however, if you hand-feed the raccoon graham crackers, she'll be quite content and leave everything else alone Just ask my Miss Thing
That's all well and good but....I have not seen this raccoon--only his footprints and other evidence--but he is a BIG raccoon. Big enough to toss a few hay bales around in our barn. And things go missing: bags, plants, trowels. I'm not going near this thing.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 07-20-2012, 05:21 AM   #1882
Pearl-ExPert

Kelly, I had forgotten about your 'pet' coon, lol. My grandparents have a family of coons at their house that act like you are there just to feed them. They have a garden room with glass doors to the floor and they just come at night and sit on their bottoms with paws folded in front of them looking in, waiting for their order just as if they are at a drive-up window. Cute, but we are always afraid one will come in the house.

This has been our fist experience with vine borers. They got one pumpkin plant so far and a few squash. I'm afraid it will be all down hill from here. Thanks for the book recs... I'll look into that!
Old 07-20-2012, 08:48 AM   #1883
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by SummerBreeze View Post
That's all well and good but....I have not seen this raccoon--only his footprints and other evidence--but he is a BIG raccoon. Big enough to toss a few hay bales around in our barn. And things go missing: bags, plants, trowels. I'm not going near this thing.
LOL

did you know that even a coon less than a year old has the strength and capacity to drag off a 36 gal trash bag full of goodies? He may not be as big as you think he is. hehe
Old 07-20-2012, 08:54 AM   #1884
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christina612 View Post
Kelly, I had forgotten about your 'pet' coon, lol. My grandparents have a family of coons at their house that act like you are there just to feed them. They have a garden room with glass doors to the floor and they just come at night and sit on their bottoms with paws folded in front of them looking in, waiting for their order just as if they are at a drive-up window. Cute, but we are always afraid one will come in the house.

This has been our fist experience with vine borers. They got one pumpkin plant so far and a few squash. I'm afraid it will be all down hill from here. Thanks for the book recs... I'll look into that!
Too cute about your grandparents' visitors. We used to have a possum that would sit on the deck next to the cat at night and wait for the food dish to be filled. Unfortunately, she got to close to the dogs one night and we had to shoot her.

I picked up some seeds yesterday and today for pumpkin, tomato, green peppers, peas, green beans and beets. Am going to try for some fall plantings. Plan to set those seed trays this afternoon. Will keep you posted.
Old 07-20-2012, 05:26 PM   #1885
Mad Swapper

Quote:
LOL

did you know that even a coon less than a year old has the strength and capacity to drag off a 36 gal trash bag full of goodies? He may not be as big as you think he is. hehe
True, but like I said, I've seen his footprints. Not a small coon!
Old 07-21-2012, 12:53 PM   #1886
Pearl-ExPert

Lol... We were at a park yesterday where the kids can plan in a little creek. I thought of you ladies when I spotted really big coon hand-prints in the mud!

Kelly, we are just talking about what and if for a fall planting. I think I might as well go for it. More work, but I'd like to try. I told hubby what you posted about planting pumpkins now. I also read in one of my organic gardening books that several things can be planted much later to avoid the common summer heat pests... like cabbage, etc. Worth a try!
Old 07-29-2012, 06:29 AM   #1887
Pearl-ExPert

Well, even with losing some squash plants to vine borers, I still have surplus. I guess I'll be blanching and freezing again this afternoon if I can't find some poor victim to give it to, lol. We went to visit our friends yesterday and let the kids visit their chickens. No chickens. Coon.
Old 07-31-2012, 11:38 AM   #1888
Swapper of the Month March 2012

The squash bugs and catepillars are attacking mine now. Grrr....
They have all but demolished my kale, collards and brussel sprouts.
I have been harvesting a lot of green chiles lately though, which I love and we are using. I grew Chinese long green beans this year and love them! Some are over 2' long! A meal for one in one bean!
The little bit cooler weather of late has helped the tomatoes and green beans. My tomatoes have a bunch of brown leaves on the lower parts, they are struggling. Any ideas on those?

Spinach that I planted last month has started to grow, hoping it doesn't bolt and that we get to have some for Fall. I've already harvested the potatoes as the plants were dying off on top, not too many but its been a learning experience! Now I have those two boxes that I can plant some items in for Fall crops too so will start on that. I'm glad you guys are giving ideas so I won't have to decide what to plant! haha

I'm Stampin' Good Deeds, Are You?

Last edited by StampinGoodDeeds; 07-31-2012 at 11:41 AM..
Old 07-31-2012, 11:41 AM   #1889

OH NO! The coon ate them????

Its a shame we don't live closer, we would share well with the different items we have!

I wish we could do chickens but the HOA says clearly no poultry.
And considering that the four neighbors all around me are all the board for the HOA, I doubt I could get away with it... of course, maybe I could join the board and then change the HOA? Nah, I don't need another thing to do.

The apples will be ready in a month if not sooner I think. There is one we think may be granny smith even that I don't even remember seeing last year! I think the others are Rome. Any tips or ideas?

Quote:
Well, even with losing some squash plants to vine borers, I still have surplus. I guess I'll be blanching and freezing again this afternoon if I can't find some poor victim to give it to, lol. We went to visit our friends yesterday and let the kids visit their chickens. No chickens. Coon.

Old 07-31-2012, 03:12 PM   #1890
CBC Lady Violet

Quote:
Originally Posted by StampinGoodDeeds View Post
OH NO! The coon ate them????

Its a shame we don't live closer, we would share well with the different items we have!

I wish we could do chickens but the HOA says clearly no poultry.
And considering that the four neighbors all around me are all the board for the HOA, I doubt I could get away with it... of course, maybe I could join the board and then change the HOA? Nah, I don't need another thing to do.

The apples will be ready in a month if not sooner I think. There is one we think may be granny smith even that I don't even remember seeing last year! I think the others are Rome. Any tips or ideas?
If you have the freezer space (we had two huge chest freezers when I was a kid), you can make apple pies, and freeze them uncooked. When you need a nice dessert, but don't have time in the winter, just pull out the pie & bake!
Old 08-02-2012, 06:25 AM   #1891
Pearl-ExPert

Well, Susan, I was thinking about heading north and meeting up with you, then realized how far that actually is. How long does it take you to get to Harrisonburg? We have family coming this weekend and we are traveling next week, but when the fall temps arrive I think we should meet for soup or coffee or something! Sadly, I won't have fresh squash to burden you with by then, lol, but I may something else if I ever get my next planting under way! And yes, apples... make applesauce and freeze it. You can also use it in pancakes later...
Old 08-02-2012, 06:26 AM   #1892
Pearl-ExPert

AND: If you should find crazily spelled words or strange spaces, Sweet P. is helping me type this morning. lol.
Old 08-03-2012, 04:23 AM   #1893
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Well, Susan, I was thinking about heading north and meeting up with you, then realized how far that actually is. How long does it take you to get to Harrisonburg? We have family coming this weekend and we are traveling next week, but when the fall temps arrive I think we should meet for soup or coffee or something! Sadly, I won't have fresh squash to burden you with by then, lol, but I may something else if I ever get my next planting under way! And yes, apples... make applesauce and freeze it. You can also use it in pancakes later...
And remember Apple Sauce is a a great low-fat substitute for oil in muffins and quick breads. I can mine in pints.

I'm starting to do a lot more things in pints since Bob and I are calorie watching. That way I can make us individual desserts without having to open an entire quart of something and have leftovers.
Old 08-08-2012, 09:59 AM   #1894

oooooooooo, well definitely! Harrisonburg is only about 1.5 hours from me. I think you are just about 3 hrs. What's fun to go see in your area? I haven't been down there and keep telling DH I want to make a day trip of it and just go down that way!

How far are you from Natural Bridge? Did you see they have a Homeschool Day? hint, hint

Okay, I've never made applesauce... someone will have to teach me!

Quote:

Old 08-08-2012, 10:10 AM   #1895
Mad Swapper

Hi ladies! How are things? Anything interesting going on? Does anyone like to enter their county fair or state fair?
Old 08-08-2012, 11:50 AM   #1896
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Hi ladies! How are things? Anything interesting going on? Does anyone like to enter their county fair or state fair?
Hey!
First off, if that is Poppet in your Avatar, he looks just like my Butter kitty. Very adorable.

As to county fairs... before we moved to MO where the fairs aren't near as impressive, I used to enter 5 county fairs a year up in IL. Approx. 100 entries per fair. That's how I made money to pay for my writers conference trip every year - plus by the end of fair season I had enough cookie dough in the freezer to take care of my holiday baking hehe
Old 08-08-2012, 11:52 AM   #1897
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
oooooooooo, well definitely! Harrisonburg is only about 1.5 hours from me. I think you are just about 3 hrs. What's fun to go see in your area? I haven't been down there and keep telling DH I want to make a day trip of it and just go down that way!

How far are you from Natural Bridge? Did you see they have a Homeschool Day? hint, hint

Okay, I've never made applesauce... someone will have to teach me!
Not sure how apples are going to do here but Bob said when he comes back from Chicago next trip he'll stop by my favorite orchard and bring home a bushel or two. I'm out of apple butter.
Old 08-08-2012, 12:22 PM   #1898
Mad Swapper

Quote:
Hey!
First off, if that is Poppet in your Avatar, he looks just like my Butter kitty. Very adorable.

As to county fairs... before we moved to MO where the fairs aren't near as impressive, I used to enter 5 county fairs a year up in IL. Approx. 100 entries per fair. That's how I made money to pay for my writers conference trip every year - plus by the end of fair season I had enough cookie dough in the freezer to take care of my holiday baking hehe
About the cat: Yes, that's my Poppet. She is a treasure! She has such a "person"ality!!

WOW! Now you know to enter a fair! I've only been entering our county fair for 5 years. It started out that I was only entering the photography and later pro photography catagories. My art won has won many ribbons and occasionally I win the Best of Show award depending on whose "turn" it was for that year. LOL This year, along with my photographs, I put in a few crocheted items and to my shock and surprise, I recieved the Best of Show in the needlecraft section! I couldn't get over it! I'll post some pics later today.
Old 08-08-2012, 06:52 PM   #1899
Mad Swapper

OK, here are two of the things I entered; the necklace does have antiqued looking chain on it now. It got 2nd place in jewelry. The star doily recieved 1st and best of show of the needlework section. I'll post the rest crochet stuff tomorrow--still need to photograph them.
Attached Thumbnails
necklace0.jpg   star-doilie.jpg  
Old 08-08-2012, 07:31 PM   #1900
Kookie Creator

Wow, beautiful work!!
Old 08-13-2012, 06:57 AM   #1901

Wow! Do you earn money for winning in the fairs? I never knew that. I always thought they just handed out ribbons! Maybe I need to start!
Quote:
Hey!

Old 08-13-2012, 06:58 AM   #1902

Kelly (AND Christina) you are going to have to send me instructions and recipes in PM/email!
Quote:
Not sure how apples are going to do here but Bob said when he comes back from Chicago next trip he'll stop by my favorite orchard and bring home a bushel or two. I'm out of apple butter.

Old 08-13-2012, 06:59 AM   #1903

Congratulations!!! They are gorgeous, I can certainly see why you won!
Quote:
OK, here are two of the things I entered; the necklace does have antiqued looking chain on it now. It got 2nd place in jewelry. The star doily recieved 1st and best of show of the needlework section. I'll post the rest crochet stuff tomorrow--still need to photograph them.

Old 08-13-2012, 08:54 AM   #1904
Mad Swapper

Quote:
Congratulations!!! They are gorgeous, I can certainly see why you won!
Thank you! I need upload the pics of the rest if the stuff I entered, but I got sidetracked! LOL!!

On getting money for winning at a fair. It depends.......I entered 2 county fairs this year. One I have never entered before and my county's fair. My co. fair gives a premium, but the money smaller if you are in a cat. by yourself. The other fair only gives money if the buget allows; AKA, that means there wasn't any. LOL! I didn't care about the money anyway, it was for my photography business. (I got grand and reserve grand champion by the way. Yay!)
Old 08-13-2012, 10:03 AM   #1905

That is awesome! Congrats on it all!

Old 08-13-2012, 10:04 AM   #1906

Fall is approaching and I need to get crocheting on scarves for my step-grandson's football boosters. Hoping it will go well. I was making the curly-q kind of scarves in their team colors.

Old 08-13-2012, 04:04 PM   #1907
Stazon Splitcoast

Hey girls.

I have just a couple minutes but I wanted to share things with you that I found.
One is this book

Great projects in here and real easy to do. I picked my copy up at Lowes for $19.99 so keep that in mind when you're looking at shipping costs.

The other one I found at Amazon while I was looking the other one up. I've not looked at it much yet but may have to. it's about water features. Can't have all work in our gardens, can we?

The greenhouse is finished. Bob just got the seed tables in place. I MIGHT have room for the shoe holder herb garden. Will have to see. It's pretty tite space in there.

Storms moving in and need to fix supper. Will check in tomorrow.
Old 08-15-2012, 05:20 AM   #1908
Stazon Splitcoast

Good morning girls!
Wow... what a temperature difference! We've gone from temps over 100 last week to barely hitting the 80's this week. No humidity... feels like fall. Ask me if I'm disappointed LOL. Was so tired of the heat.

With the cooler temps I'm starting to think about crocheting again. I'm determined to finish the hats/ scarves for the mitten tree this year. That will totally empty a tub out of the sewing room.

I do know I'm taking one day next week and deep cleaning the garden shed. I don't think we're in for any wind today so thought I might start on fire starters. I'd love to get those 3 tubs (2 of TP roll sections and 1 of dryer lint) out of the shed.

Can you tell I"m getting in a fall cleaning mode? hehe
How's everyone else doing?
Old 08-27-2012, 11:10 AM   #1909
Pearl-ExPert

Hi ladies. I hope to read back and get caught up here soon. Hope all is well!
Old 09-03-2012, 08:36 AM   #1910
Stazon Splitcoast

HI Christina. Was hoping to hear from you after you got caught up. I hope everything is okay.

Remember I told you guys I seemed to have lost the potatoes in the tires. We thought we might have smothered them? I planted my 2 big boy tomato plants in the tires since they were full of dirt and ready to go. I went out to check on them night before last and guess what....

all around the base of the tomato plant in each tire.... I have potatoes! LOL

We finally got some rain over the weekend. I'm letting the ground dry a bit today. Tomorrow I hope to pull up the Early girl and Rutger tomato plants. Then I'm going to plant beets down one side and carrots down the other.

I never did get the pumpkins reseeded. They'll have to wait until next year. But the green house is done and I'm in the process of cleaning out/ reorganizing the planting shed.

And I've had the crochet itch. yeah!
Old 09-03-2012, 01:33 PM   #1911
Mad Swapper

Hi everybody! Who's making their own Christmas ornaments this year? I'm crocheting ornaments, star garlands and a little Christmas tree. I post some pics later. I know I owe you ladies lots of pics, but things have crazy lately. The microwave committed suiside, relatives have been theatening to visit( which would be fine if the house was not in the middle of being redecorated!) and my father is going to have heart surgery on Tue. Oh boy, I feel a long couple of months ahead!
Old 09-04-2012, 11:52 AM   #1912
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Hi everybody! Who's making their own Christmas ornaments this year? I'm crocheting ornaments, star garlands and a little Christmas tree. I post some pics later. I know I owe you ladies lots of pics, but things have crazy lately. The microwave committed suiside, relatives have been theatening to visit( which would be fine if the house was not in the middle of being redecorated!) and my father is going to have heart surgery on Tue. Oh boy, I feel a long couple of months ahead!
Wow. You have a lot on your plate. Know we're thinking of you and are here when you need a break.

No ornament making this year. Though I am hoping to have my full village unpacked this year.
Old 09-04-2012, 04:26 PM   #1913
Mad Swapper

THANK YOU! Father is doing wonderful and the doctors said he was recovering better than anyone they new of--"sigh" of relief!
Old 09-04-2012, 07:43 PM   #1914
CBC Lady Violet

I attempted a tawashi last night (picked the one that looked/seemed one of the easiest) from a pattern book I bought. *sigh* Not a success. I think I will be able to make it and have it turn out ok, but will need to make some adjustments to the pattern. Some of the directions in the pattern I found strange. You make four strips the same size, then they are connected together to form the tawashi shape. Each strip is six rows. But you don't just stitch the six rows. The directions have you stitch five rows, finish off, the join to the foundation row & do the sixth row there. I tried one strip this way, and one strip just doing a straight 6 rows, and I can't see that it makes any difference to shape or size - the only difference I see is that stitching the sixth row is more of a pain and there are extra ends which need weaving in. I really can't figure out what I'm misunderstanding in the pattern, but to me, the directions just seem nonsensical.
I also discovered that making the strips according to the pattern, they are not nearly long enough. With the way they fit together, each strip needs to be as long as the width of the stripx4, but mine ended up only being about the width of the stripx3. And I don't think my gauge is off, as I am 1)using the same hook for the same type yarn that I've done previous projects with and been ok for gauge and 2)the pattern actually says gauge not important for this item. Granted, its an easy fix, as making a strip longer just means adding extra chains at the beginning row - but it really makes me question the rest of the directions KWIM?
Frustrated though. I was hoping to make several of these for my mother for Christmas, since she likes crocheted dishcloths. But I don't think I'll be making many if they all prove to be this troublesome.
Old 09-04-2012, 09:20 PM   #1915
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anemone View Post
I attempted a tawashi last night (picked the one that looked/seemed one of the easiest) from a pattern book I bought. *sigh* Not a success. I think I will be able to make it and have it turn out ok, but will need to make some adjustments to the pattern. Some of the directions in the pattern I found strange. You make four strips the same size, then they are connected together to form the tawashi shape. Each strip is six rows. But you don't just stitch the six rows. The directions have you stitch five rows, finish off, the join to the foundation row & do the sixth row there. I tried one strip this way, and one strip just doing a straight 6 rows, and I can't see that it makes any difference to shape or size - the only difference I see is that stitching the sixth row is more of a pain and there are extra ends which need weaving in. I really can't figure out what I'm misunderstanding in the pattern, but to me, the directions just seem nonsensical.
I also discovered that making the strips according to the pattern, they are not nearly long enough. With the way they fit together, each strip needs to be as long as the width of the stripx4, but mine ended up only being about the width of the stripx3. And I don't think my gauge is off, as I am 1)using the same hook for the same type yarn that I've done previous projects with and been ok for gauge and 2)the pattern actually says gauge not important for this item. Granted, its an easy fix, as making a strip longer just means adding extra chains at the beginning row - but it really makes me question the rest of the directions KWIM?
Frustrated though. I was hoping to make several of these for my mother for Christmas, since she likes crocheted dishcloths. But I don't think I'll be making many if they all prove to be this troublesome.
Here is a great tawashi pattern. It is simple, only one piece, and you can crochet it quickly. I used it and made quite a few that turned out really cute. It is a little tricky to fold it, so that it spirals the right way. Be sure to click on the youtube link at the beginning of the pattern. It shows you how to sew it together.

Crochet Patterns Only: Spiral Scrubbie updated 6/24/09)

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Old 09-04-2012, 09:25 PM   #1916
Watercolor Wizard

Anemone, I made a bunch of the tawashi's for gifts, and put this little instruction guide on a hang tag. All my friends and relatives really liked them. Here it is:

Handmade Japanese Tawashi

A Japanese traditional scrubbing brush to wash off dirt. There are many different types of ‘tawashi’ depending upon the material it is made from.

This is made from 100% acrylic yarn, with very fine synthetic fibers similar to microfiber. This fine-filament material is the key to magical cleaning. This acrylic sponge is scratch-free, and you can use it not only for dishes, but also for the bathtub and shower, for washing a car — basically anywhere you want.

Machine wash and dry as needed.

Hope you enjoy using your Tawashi
"ta washi" the dishes.

Old 09-05-2012, 07:34 PM   #1917
CBC Lady Violet

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggainok View Post
Here is a great tawashi pattern. It is simple, only one piece, and you can crochet it quickly. I used it and made quite a few that turned out really cute. It is a little tricky to fold it, so that it spirals the right way. Be sure to click on the youtube link at the beginning of the pattern. It shows you how to sew it together.

Crochet Patterns Only: Spiral Scrubbie updated 6/24/09)
Thanks Bugga! I'm sure I will try that one.

I guess I am just a bit disappointed in the book. It has several fun-looking (flower, butterfly, spiral, puzzle block) tawashis and I thought a nice variety would be neat KWIM? I will still probably at least attempt several of the others, but I am concerned whether or not they will work......
Old 09-05-2012, 08:49 PM   #1918
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anemone View Post
Thanks Bugga! I'm sure I will try that one.

I guess I am just a bit disappointed in the book. It has several fun-looking (flower, butterfly, spiral, puzzle block) tawashis and I thought a nice variety would be neat KWIM? I will still probably at least attempt several of the others, but I am concerned whether or not they will work......
Good luck with the others. I have much better luck finding patterns on the internet, and in crochet forums, than buying pattern books.

I've had the same experience you did with patterns from a book, when things didn't make sense, and didn't turn out right.

Old 09-10-2012, 07:16 AM   #1919

Thanks for the link on the other one, printed to try, but I can't get a link below on this one. Can you repost it? Thanks!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by buggainok View Post
Anemone, I made a bunch of the tawashi's for gifts, and put this little instruction guide on a hang tag. All my friends and relatives really liked them. Here it is:

Handmade Japanese Tawashi

A Japanese traditional scrubbing brush to wash off dirt. There are many different types of ‘tawashi’ depending upon the material it is made from.

This is made from 100% acrylic yarn, with very fine synthetic fibers similar to microfiber. This fine-filament material is the key to magical cleaning. This acrylic sponge is scratch-free, and you can use it not only for dishes, but also for the bathtub and shower, for washing a car — basically anywhere you want.

Machine wash and dry as needed.

Hope you enjoy using your Tawashi
"ta washi" the dishes.

Old 09-10-2012, 07:22 AM   #1920

Thanks, Kelly! I will have to check those out. I have a few books for projects like those at home but I barely get my crafting done it seems anymore, much less gardening, and then forget ever getting any workshop stuff done... my tools have been packed away so long I'd have to scrape off the layer of dust first...

My garden has been attacked by bugs of every type of late and its killed off a lot unfortunately. We used organic sprays but didn't do the job, between the stink bugs eating tomatoes, cucumbers or beans or anything juicy, the catepillars eating my parsley and greens (so much for brussel sprouts, broccoli, kale and collards), there is barely anything left!
I haven't had a chance to get anything started for cooler weather either so not sure if I will have that this year.
We have been talking about a greenhouse or tunnel, but they are predicting a harsh winter this year, so may not be the year to try that either.
Quote:
Hey girls.

I have just a couple minutes but I wanted to share things with you that I found.
One is this book

Great projects in here and real easy to do. I picked my copy up at Lowes for $19.99 so keep that in mind when you're looking at shipping costs.

The other one I found at Amazon while I was looking the other one up. I've not looked at it much yet but may have to. it's about water features. Can't have all work in our gardens, can we?

The greenhouse is finished. Bob just got the seed tables in place. I MIGHT have room for the shoe holder herb garden. Will have to see. It's pretty tite space in there.

Storms moving in and need to fix supper. Will check in tomorrow.