Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree43Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2012, 06:39 PM   #1841
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christina612 View Post
Hey, Kelly! We missed you! Hope your little one there feels better really quickly. I bet your garden has grown tons while you were away! I think of you and Susan every time I look at my potatoes, lol! Since that tire potatoe conversation spurred me on... Now if only those great looking plants are actually making potatoes down there and they don't rot!
I know ours are producing. Before I put the 2nd tire on, I pulled one up to show Adrian where the potatoes were at. They ranged in size from shooter marbles to golf ball sized.

Did you remember to paint the outside of your tires white to reflect the heat from the rubber?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 06-02-2012, 06:42 PM   #1842
Stazon Splitcoast

Monticello is worth the trip for the gardens alone. You don't have to be a history buff. When I lived with my sister in Rapidan, my bedroom was the 'library' on the 3rd floor. I could just make out the top of Monticello. Sadly, I was a silly 21 year old and not really into appreciating what my surroundings had to offer. I intend to go back when I start my Civil War series.
Old 06-05-2012, 04:52 AM   #1843
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by StampinGoodDeeds View Post
Christina --- Did I read right somewhere that DD is 2 tomorrow!!!??? OH MY! Time flies!!!! I'm pretty sure I still haven't even packed away that fabric and pattern from when I made her basket...haha!
Yep... 2 on the 1st! We love your basket!
Old 06-05-2012, 04:55 AM   #1844
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrappinCEO View Post
I could use some of that. Adrian's cold is nearly gone. Just some residule nose stuff to keep blowing.

Me on the other hand... have caught her cold. Of course I have the mother of all coughs. Figure another day or two before I feel human again. Today I've been like Dori on Finding Nemo... just keep moving just keep moving. hehehe
We picked the first huge blackberries off the thornless bush tonight. Adrian enjoyed all 3 of them. I noticed tomatoes on the Early Girl plants tonight and the peas are blooming. Late I know, but our weather has been unseasonably cool so it will be interesting to see how they do. I"ll plant again for fall.
Late? We ARE LATE! Our peas are still babies! But we did have loads of rain and cool temps too. I figure we will enjoy what comes on and plan for fall planting, too. Hope you're feeling better!
Old 06-05-2012, 04:58 AM   #1845
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
I know ours are producing. Before I put the 2nd tire on, I pulled one up to show Adrian where the potatoes were at. They ranged in size from shooter marbles to golf ball sized.

Did you remember to paint the outside of your tires white to reflect the heat from the rubber?
I opted to use burlap bags instead... The plants have grown like crazy, but I can't help but wonder what's going on down inside there, lol!
Attached Thumbnails
05-17-12_1500.jpg  
Old 06-05-2012, 05:02 AM   #1846
Pearl-ExPert

I'll have to go take a new picture of the grow bags. They are almost totally unrolled now! Is that supposed to happen that fast?
Old 06-05-2012, 06:53 AM   #1847
Swapper of the Month March 2012

Hey! When is that? Maybe we can meet up then and I would have someone to go see these with!!!

Quote:
Monticello is worth the trip for the gardens alone. You don't have to be a history buff. When I lived with my sister in Rapidan, my bedroom was the 'library' on the 3rd floor. I could just make out the top of Monticello. Sadly, I was a silly 21 year old and not really into appreciating what my surroundings had to offer. I intend to go back when I start my Civil War series.

I'm Stampin' Good Deeds, Are You?
Old 06-05-2012, 07:22 AM   #1848

Oh you will definitely have to let me know how the bags do because that would have opened up 1.5 of my boxes to planting more veggies! Where did you get the bags too?

So far I have gotten lettuce and collards out of our garden, and blueberries off the new blueberry bushes we planted a few weeks ago. Our peas are small too, barely starting... the vines are growing and are about 18" high but there aren't many blooms/peas yet, I think its because of that hot streak we had.

There are a lot of plants this year in my garden that are firsts for me so I'm still waiting ot see how they do. Obviously the collards did well, and I learned you can clip the outer leaves and leave the plant in and it will continue to produce so I did that. I did that with spinach last year too. The kale is growing really slow, swiss chard too, hoping they pick up and produce more... The brussel sprouts are huge, but not sprouting yet, so waiting to see what they do. The broccoli is getting bery big too but not budding yet. Beans are finally vining up the poles. I have a husky red tomato plant thriving but the others are still small/slow. Pepper plants are starting to grow peppers so that is good. I have a purple tomatillo plant that is huge and thriving... can't wait ot try those. I've grown green ones before but not the purple. Love it in salsas and sauces. Bok choy is getting there, almost ready to start harvesting, maybe in a week or two. green onions are starting, the leeks are starting though I had to thin them out and transplanted a bunch so hoping the transplants will do well too. One eggplant and it seems to be doing well so far. Carrots are barely starting to peek up above the soil. Potatoes doing well, need to add more dirt to them soon. I was worried about them becuase it took me forever to plant the little spuds. I also just put in cucumber starters, beets, and pumpkin seeds so hoping they do well. Planted a starter of sunburst yellow squash too, and the zucchinis, rhubarb and watermelon seem to be growing slow but sure too. All the herbs have done well so far, adn I need to also start marjoram seeds in a planter this week as I forgot to plant them before, and will probably transplant dill from the big box to a planter soon. I used the fresh oregano, rosemary and sage in the turkey I baked the other day, awesome!

I have a ton of flower seeds that I also wanted to plant... I was reading a couple of magazines (including the one you sent, Christina!) and want to be sure to plant the flowers in planters around the veggie garden area too so as to encourage the bees for pollenation. May try to get some of those done tonight or this weekend at latest. I can hardly believe its already June!

On the crochet scene, I was just talking with SLHawes yesterday on the phone and she was saying how much she is enjoying crocheting again... just started up. I need to get her to join us on here too. I was at Michaels over the weekend and saw they have classes for crochet and knitting, but the knitting information was incorrect so I have to call to see about them and see if I can't find a starter class to go to. I am going out ot CO later this month for my mom's 80th birthday adn my sister and daughter both said they'd show me how to knit but things usually get so busy that we don't do it. I have a ton of needles, jsut need to know how to use them now! haha

And I've promised myself to finish up the three crochet projects that I have half done here before I will let myself start anymore... okay, maybe its five or six UFOs... pumpkin, sweater, shawl, pillow, sachets, ...

Old 06-05-2012, 03:38 PM   #1849
Pearl-ExPert

Lol... Susan, you always have so much going on! Your garden sounds great! You have a nice variety of things growing. We had a larger variety last year, but I was gone a lot and then it was hard to work the garden with DD last year, so it didn't do much. This year we have a better quality garden already but a bit less variety. Since we are still amending the soil, I feel better about seeing what grows well here and what doesn't. We can't grow carrots or tubers due to rocks so I have those in the grow bags and containers. (I will ck to see where these burlap bags came from). I've been trying to companion plant and use certain flowers throughout the garden for birds/bees and natural insect repellant, etc. It's such a science when you get right down to it! I had to write stuff down because I couldn't keep it all in my busy head, lol. It's definitely not the garden dreams are made of, but it's looking nice and we love it anyway. I'll have to get some pics of it up now and then. Of course, it'll be all over the blog... Now I need to get planting my echinacea and chammomile! Thank you sooooooo much! Need more pots!
Old 06-09-2012, 04:46 PM   #1850

I'm exhausted when I go back and read my own post!!! haha

I harvested the butter lettuce today but it had started to bolt and was bitter.. The wierd cold weather spell then hot then cool did it I think. Bummer. Oh well, I did get blueberries and peas today also and they were delicious! I have to find a place for my chamomille and echinacea too.

I have been reading on the natural companion planting too! I have a bunch of packets of marigolds to plant, just got soil for them today!

Old 06-09-2012, 06:17 PM   #1851
Mad Swapper

Yes, marigolds and petunias help to keep those little pests away. I too have been reading about companion planting. I have pots of herbs all around the veggies; sage by the cabbage and peppers, bee balm, mint, rosemary and chives around the tomatoes and oregano by the cumbers. Whew!!

I lost my garden to the weeds last year and I promised myself not to loose it again. I am happy to say that I have kept that promise, this year. We got a little cultivator that is just amazing. So much easier to handle and to start. I LOVE IT. If you guys have trouble keeping the weeds out the garden rows, you need the Honda mini tiller. This thing is perfect for the female gardener!!

By the way, have any of you noticed the flea beetles being bad this year? I almost lost all my pepper plants!!! :O
Old 06-10-2012, 01:12 PM   #1852
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Hey! When is that? Maybe we can meet up then and I would have someone to go see these with!!!
Unfortunately not for at least 2 years. I have other partial books to finish and get out the door first. And I'm anxious to get back to Rapidan. Now that I'm older with a better appreciation of history.
Old 06-10-2012, 01:21 PM   #1853
Stazon Splitcoast

Your gardens all sound like they're doing well. My Early Girl tomatoes are putting on tomatoes. They are a little bigger than golf ball right now. Too big to pickle and too small to fry The Rutgers are coming up right behind them.

I need Bob home next weekend to run the tiller and make space for the Big Boy tomatoes. With this cold and keeping up with Adrian I just haven't had the energy to get the tiller out.

I was looking at my garden plan sketch and see where I'll need to relocate some things next year and I want more of these Cattle feed tubs. I get them free from a guy. They are plastic. I drill drain holes in the bottom and spray paint the outside with the Krylon paint for plastics. If you don't paint them, they get sun-cracked and only last about a year. Farmers used to be able to turn the tubs in for a deposit return fee. But they don't to that anymore so they just gather at the cattle farms.

We've also gotten 2 plastic barrels to put under the downspouts on the garden shed gutters so I'll have rain water collection. They were sky blue but I painted them flat forest green to match the trim/ roof on the garden shed. LOL Yes, I'm one of those people hehe
Old 06-11-2012, 09:58 AM   #1854

Hey, I recognize those people. I'm one of them.
I wanted rain barrels for here too but haven't gotten to those yet. We have a lot of humidity and rain here so don't know how much I'd need them, but I've been eyeballing them still...

I watched a show on tv about an area in Taos NM that has green homes... completely independent green too. Not only rain collecting designs on their roofs, but feeds into a strained cistern and then is used for the water in their home (I believe post running through a reverse osmossis) and then it drains into an indoor planter and outside landscaping also! And they had a solar incinerator for waste also. Solar panels for electrical. It was amazing to see. Its an entire community that is that way... no dependence on public utilities at all... how would THAT be!? After the twins graduate, my goal is to sell this home and then hopefully find a job out west again and move back that way, and build something green and as self-sustaining as possible. Of course, that is MY goal, not so sure if it matches up to what God deems, but we shall see!

The butter lettuce I harvested was bitter, figured out it was from bolting and the heat this year. Bummed about that but I'll replant a second planting of all the greens in late July/early August probably.

What sources are you all using for reading on the companion planting?

Old 06-11-2012, 10:13 AM   #1855
Mad Swapper

HI! These are my favs, but one is for repellent. Companion Planting
How to Grow a Pest Repellent Herb Garden (with pictures)

To help keep those pesty pests out put onions and citrus scraps around the plants. Oh, and plant marrigolds and petunias too.
Old 06-13-2012, 09:55 AM   #1856

Thanks!

Old 06-15-2012, 06:11 AM   #1857

I went to Michaels yesterday to pick up some cardstock for a bible class project this weekend, but of course had to check out the yarn... the cottons were on sale 4/$6... and they had a cute dishcloth free pattern there in front of them... so of course I picked up the items and came home to try it while watching a movie last night....
I didn't find the H needle so used a G... and you'd laugh if you saw the way it turned out. It was supposed to be a flat chrysanthemum dishcloth but literally came out with twice the amount so is a big ruffly one instead. But I discovered it makes a fun frisby too as I swirled it through the air to show DH... haha

Old 06-17-2012, 06:52 PM   #1858
CBC Lady Violet

There are a couple of companies making this sort of puff ball/pom pom style yarn - like this one: Bernat: Bernat Baby Pom Pom - Free Knitting and Crochet Patterns!
Does anybody know of a crochet children's scarf pattern for this style of yarn? I've been looking for one, but no luck so far.
Old 06-17-2012, 09:21 PM   #1859
Die Cut Diva

once upon a time I had a pattern for a reversible shell baby afgan...does anyone have this? It was a very simple pattern. Wanting it for my niece.....

Old 06-18-2012, 09:17 AM   #1860

Hi Kristi and Anemone, sorry I don't think I have either.
Perhaps Christina or Toni or Kelly? I know they are all making kiddo items now!

Old 06-18-2012, 11:50 AM   #1861
Pearl-ExPert

I'll look around for that one....

HI all!
Old 06-20-2012, 06:36 AM   #1862

Finally was able to figure out what I did wrong on my crocheted dishcloths... here is the way they turn out.
Attached Thumbnails
dishcloth.jpg  

Old 06-20-2012, 06:40 AM   #1863

Harvested lots from the garden yesterday so that it won't bolt or burn up with this heat wave. Two big bags of collards, cooked up one last night, delicious! Three big bowls of herbs that I dried in the dehydrator (parsley, oregano, basil). Some cilantro, and reseeded two containers for that. Romaine lettuce and bok choy, snow and snap peas too.
Attached Thumbnails
harvest.jpg  

Old 06-21-2012, 02:47 AM   #1864
Pearl-ExPert

There's a lot of green in that picture! It looks great!
Old 06-21-2012, 07:11 AM   #1865
Mad Swapper

Quote:
There's a lot of green in that picture! It looks great!

Sure is!!

I read on you HR blog that you made a garlic/pepper/onion mix. Did yours do any good? I made one when the flea beetle envasion made its way to my garden. Boy they are destructive!!! The spray helped a little, but they are still out there!
Old 06-21-2012, 12:45 PM   #1866
Pearl-ExPert

It did great! I was surprised at how well it worked. I should post a pic.
Old 06-27-2012, 05:51 AM   #1867

I just had a brief catch up read on your blog too, Christina. You'll have to share your recipe for that secret weapon. I'm not sure what is eating my broccoli up at the moment, but the leaves are "holy" nonetheless (yes, I know, corny since DH is a pastor, but I couldn't resist).

Your cherries look droolingly delicious! Do you spray at all? We have several apple trees but haven't sprayed, and are having all sorts of bumpy apples from that... I was going to do the natural method with the footy covers but we never did get them on there this year its been so busy.

Old 06-27-2012, 06:05 AM   #1868

I took crochet projects with me on the trip, and wouldn't you know it? Out of three projects, I ran out of yarn on all three!!! So I did crochet, but got nothing finished!

Old 06-27-2012, 06:44 AM   #1869

HEY THERE, CREATIVE LADIES!!!
I'm seeking more swappers for my filled Altered Tins swap! Not due til end of August so you have two months still to craft away!!!

Come have fun and think outside (and inside for that matter) of the box (or rather, tin)!!!

http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/fo...l#post19520014

Old 07-16-2012, 04:46 AM   #1870
Pearl-ExPert

Good morning! Hope everyone is enjoying their summer with some cool crochet projects!
Old 07-16-2012, 04:58 AM   #1871

Good morning to you all too! I had a lazy weekend actually, all things considered. I did harvest on Friday from the garden, which resulted in 15 zukes last week, 15 cukes last week, about 4 lbs of green beans, a bowl of tomatoes, about 24 green anaheim chiles, about a dozen serrano chili peppers, some small brocolli heads, and lots of other miscellaneous... and there is more out there, but I'll wait til this week to get them as the fridge is full!

I had planted the zucchini and the rhubarb in our boxes, but am regretting that as they have grown so big they have taken over and are covering the other plants so much they aren't getting sufficient sun to grow I think. Lesson learned. May have to try to transplant that rhubarb again before it gets any bigger if I can. It really took well there though so I hate to do that... especially as they say to let them settle in for a year before you harvest.

We fenced finally with just a dark green, less obvious fencing and posts to keep the groundhogs and rabbits and deer out. They seem to be staying clear of it now and just going for the dropped apples and low hanging ones on the trees now. And the neighbors garden.

Have any of you grown brussel sprouts before? My plants are huge but no sprouts showing yet. Just wondering.

I haven't done much crocheting of late, still have several UFOs to finish up but summer just slows for me on crocheting. I try not to sit too much but this weekend I did just a lot of tv watching/sitting and relaxing, I think my body was just telling me it needed it. So I didn't argue with it.

Old 07-16-2012, 08:37 AM   #1872
Mad Swapper

HI ladies! I have not been able to crochet lately either. Just no time! So much to do: the yardwork, housework, misc. activities, my photography jobs and the county fair is coming up. Whew!!

My garden is starting to show its treasures! The cukes, beans and tomatoes are starting to come in. YUM!!! I have had a lot of trouble with my peppers though! We bought them from True Value and they have gave me nothing but trouble!! I think the dirt (in the pepper container) was contaminated with a disiese and infested with black flea beetles. Some of them are still only 3-5 inches tall!?
Old 07-19-2012, 04:40 AM   #1873
Pearl-ExPert

Oh the garden.... It has been looking so pretty. The corn is really tall and the sunflowers have opened their faces. We had a similar problem with our tomatoes and peppers. In fact, we ended up pulling out all of our tomato plants and replanting new ones. They are now looking great, but nothing ripe yet since they went in so late. Our peppers had to be nursed along too. Not sure if they will produce. Everything else has been great, but we found what I think is aphid honeydew on our limas. Not happy about that, so seeing if we can remedy that problem. Then some of our squash seem to have vine borers so we've pulled some of those out. Sad! They were sooo pretty. Oh well. Live and learn about pests!
Old 07-19-2012, 08:39 AM   #1874
Mad Swapper

Tell me about it! I pulled nearly all of my peppers out today. The soil is now tainted and needs to be treated in the fall. The HOT peppers are looking good, but I'm keeping my eye on them.
I had some beautiful huge thick sunflowers, but the deer came one night. Need I say more? I'm fighting deer, a raccoon, bugs, worms, rabbits and disiese. I think I'm fighting a loosing battle. But I'm not flying the white flag yet!
Old 07-19-2012, 11:37 AM   #1875
Pearl-ExPert

I need to go take some pictures of the garden now that it's looking so full. It's funny that the houses along our road that have gardens have really high fences around the gardens to keep deer, etc. out. We have seen deer prints in our garden, but haven't lost anything to them yet. Last year some things were nibbled a bit, but nothing destructive. I think it's because we have a dog and even though the deer and critters travel through, they smell him and don't stay long.

Hubby and I said we've learned a lot in the last 2 years about growing a garden. Now we have to learn about the pests and how to avoid them. Not to mention the disease and microbes, etc... Don't fly the flag yet!
Old 07-19-2012, 11:48 AM   #1876
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
I went to Michaels yesterday to pick up some cardstock for a bible class project this weekend, but of course had to check out the yarn... the cottons were on sale 4/$6... and they had a cute dishcloth free pattern there in front of them... so of course I picked up the items and came home to try it while watching a movie last night....
I didn't find the H needle so used a G... and you'd laugh if you saw the way it turned out. It was supposed to be a flat chrysanthemum dishcloth but literally came out with twice the amount so is a big ruffly one instead. But I discovered it makes a fun frisby too as I swirled it through the air to show DH... haha
LOL too fun, Susan.
Old 07-19-2012, 11:52 AM   #1877
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Finally was able to figure out what I did wrong on my crocheted dishcloths... here is the way they turn out.
Cute! Love it in the varigated
Old 07-19-2012, 12:04 PM   #1878
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by SummerBreeze View Post
Tell me about it! I pulled nearly all of my peppers out today. The soil is now tainted and needs to be treated in the fall. The HOT peppers are looking good, but I'm keeping my eye on them.
I had some beautiful huge thick sunflowers, but the deer came one night. Need I say more? I'm fighting deer, a raccoon, bugs, worms, rabbits and disiese. I think I'm fighting a loosing battle. But I'm not flying the white flag yet!
LOL I plant plenty to share with the creatures. They need to eat too however, if you hand-feed the raccoon graham crackers, she'll be quite content and leave everything else alone Just ask my Miss Thing
Old 07-19-2012, 12:07 PM   #1879
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
I need to go take some pictures of the garden now that it's looking so full. It's funny that the houses along our road that have gardens have really high fences around the gardens to keep deer, etc. out. We have seen deer prints in our garden, but haven't lost anything to them yet. Last year some things were nibbled a bit, but nothing destructive. I think it's because we have a dog and even though the deer and critters travel through, they smell him and don't stay long.

Hubby and I said we've learned a lot in the last 2 years about growing a garden. Now we have to learn about the pests and how to avoid them. Not to mention the disease and microbes, etc... Don't fly the flag yet!
I highly recommend Jerry Baker's book on garden care. Jerry Baker, America's Master Gardener

My mom bought his paperback collection several years ago. When I remember to use his remedies they work great! Saved my peach trees this year.
Old 07-19-2012, 12:12 PM   #1880
Stazon Splitcoast

Okay, I'm caught up with you guys hehe. Just been really crazy here. We had Adrian for 6 weeks. I miss her like crazy and the house is sooooo quiet. But I am getting work caught up before life gets crazy again.

It's hot here... 108 today. My corn will be nothing but good for fall decorations (maybe) and word has it that what tomatoes we have on the vines now is all we're going to have. Squash bores got our pumpkin vines so I'm replanting them tomorrow. Did you know you can plant those in July and still have jacks for halloween? That's when my local greenhouse plants all of his for fall sale. Interesting.

I was able to find peaches this year (ours are 1st year and though producing, not really big enough for doing anything with). I did 21 pints and 6 qts of peaches for cobbler and 24 pints of peach preserves. As the tomatoes come in I'm just coring/ skinning and putting in the freezer. I'll do the sauce up all at once this fall when it's a bit cooler. Wishing I'd planted green peppers though. Don't know what I was thinking... or not.

That's life in the Ozarks so far