Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree49Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2012, 07:14 AM   #1761
Swapper of the Month March 2012

These are the ones we bought, and we love them, and extremely reasonable, look good, went together in minutes, you can expand or combine them, etc.!
Search Results for greenes raised beds at The Home Depot

I'm Stampin' Good Deeds, Are You?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 04-12-2012, 08:06 AM   #1762
Pearl-ExPert

Hello ladies! Susan, those raised beds look nice. Believe it or not, after some 80 degree days this spring, my tomato plants, etc are sitting right in the floor beside me as I type to avoid the 'freeze warning' this week. It's not just the cold that makes it bad to work outdoors, but the wind. It's been VERY unpleasant for gardening this week. Oh well, more sunshine is ahead.
Old 04-12-2012, 11:48 AM   #1763

Yeah... sadly I didn't get my tomatoes inside for that... lost the four I did have outside already, but I knew it was a chance and risked it. I don't think they will come back. I've got seeds started inside, hoping they will come up. My raised beds are doing well so far with the other items planted in them. The asparagus is producing this year already! Yay! I got two whole pieces so far. haha But there are several others coming up.
The broccoli, kale, swiss chard and bok choy seeds are all starting, as are the beans. They are just peeking their seedlines out. The other plants are doing well so far... collard greens, rhubarb, brussel sprouts, lettuces. I'm still waiting to see the peas and spinach seeds poke up. I hope to get some others planted this weekend too... carrots, beets, more beans.

This chilly weather has me back in the armchair with the crochet piles out. Between afghans and the laptop on my lap to keep me warm, I'm doing fine!

Old 04-16-2012, 03:24 PM   #1764
Stazon Splitcoast

okay... how far behind am I? LOL Off to try and catch up. Have missed you guys.
Old 04-16-2012, 03:26 PM   #1765
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by StampinGoodDeeds View Post
I got two whole boxes, but the ones that crack me up are the 70's issues... because its all back in style now!!! Crocheted ponchos for example! haha
I know! I was noticing some of the styles at the mall in Paducah the other day and wondering if I'd stepped back in time.
Old 04-16-2012, 03:34 PM   #1766
Stazon Splitcoast

kay...caught up. LOL

I didn't get as much done in the garden while Adrian was here as I'd hoped. And some plants I bought wound up trashed so I'll be getting new ones this weekend and starting from scratch.

Bob did get the fencing on the old swing set frame for peas to climb on and my two tires for potatoes are in place. We'll see how the taters do. Weather is to be nice this week so I'm hoping to have everything in the ground by the weekend.
Old 04-16-2012, 03:35 PM   #1767
Stazon Splitcoast

Susan, the tagged textile swap sounds fun but I do no dare join. My interview in Nashville on Thursday netted me 3 additional leads for new stories. I might make money at this writing thing yet
Old 04-17-2012, 07:19 AM   #1768

Congrats on the leads, Kelly. We missed you too but I know how the work and other activities can interfere with the craft time. haha That's why I am not hosting with stuff due during hte summer and cut on what I joined too.

I ordered potatoes to try too after you posted that about tires, and they have arrived and now I am wondering where to plant them!!! haha How deep does it have to go? I'm wondering if they can get planted in my boxes that are 10" deep or if I have to get something deeper going... it says up to 18" out so I don't dare do planters...

Old 04-17-2012, 01:08 PM   #1769
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Congrats on the leads, Kelly. We missed you too but I know how the work and other activities can interfere with the craft time. haha That's why I am not hosting with stuff due during hte summer and cut on what I joined too.

I ordered potatoes to try too after you posted that about tires, and they have arrived and now I am wondering where to plant them!!! haha How deep does it have to go? I'm wondering if they can get planted in my boxes that are 10" deep or if I have to get something deeper going... it says up to 18" out so I don't dare do planters...
You can start them in as little as 6"-8" AS LONG AS you can continue to add on top of them (aka add more tires) as they grow up. Does that help? Otherwise, you still plant them at about 4-6" BUT the dirt below them must be well worked so the roots (which become potatoes) can spread and grow.
Old 04-18-2012, 05:22 AM   #1770

Got it! Now to figure out where. We may end up buying a good cultivator/tiller and putting them in an area in the yard, or may just add a couple more or those raised beds for these... I just didn't calculate well when I ordered the sampler set that had three types... wasn't realizing I would get 30 starters! haha Wish you guys lived closer to share with!

Old 04-18-2012, 12:56 PM   #1771
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Got it! Now to figure out where. We may end up buying a good cultivator/tiller and putting them in an area in the yard, or may just add a couple more or those raised beds for these... I just didn't calculate well when I ordered the sampler set that had three types... wasn't realizing I would get 30 starters! haha Wish you guys lived closer to share with!
Me too!

I got the potatoes planted yesterday. 5 in each tire. I also got 2 rows of peas planted and the area under the pea trellis mulched with black plastic and about 50 gal. of play sand. I've finished my writing for the day and am headed outside to get the corn and pumpkins done this afternoon. It will take me longer to pick up the rocks out of the area than it will be to plant everything LOL. I'll take pictures this afternoon
Old 04-19-2012, 06:15 AM   #1772

5 per tire? My instructions say to plant them 12" apart, and the rows 24" apart minimum? Are you just taking the chance to put them closer? DH is not looking forward to our next Home Depot or Lowes trip... he knows there are far too many paving stones and bags of soil on my mind...

My peas are about 2" high now! Yay! And spinach is peeking up too. I still have yet to plant the squash, pumpkins, carrots, green onions, beets and cukes. If I have space left I also want to add more beans and spinach/swiss chard. Can't get enough of those.

I came home yesterday and DH was beaming with pride to show me what he did... he bought pepper starters and put them in a planter to grow together... ancho, cayenne, and banana peppers.

Shhh, I didn't tell him, but... I grew banana peppers before so I can use those though we have a jar of them in the fridge that we haven't used in over a year! But I've never grown cayenne. I don't know how to use them from fresh! And I have over 15 ancho peppers already started in seeds in our box inside. Why couldn't he have come home with tomatoes??? Oh well. He's excited about them, so we'll go with it. It will be his little mini garden.

The azaleas have come alive around the house! See?
Attached Thumbnails
azaleas.jpg  

Last edited by StampinGoodDeeds; 04-19-2012 at 06:21 AM..
Old 04-19-2012, 06:23 AM   #1773

Oh, I have to tell you my asparagus is producing this year. Last year was the first year I'd planted them.
Anyhow, so I'd never grown it before and was excited to see them start coming up. I didn't check on them for 2 days as it was super busy, and I went out and there was 1 stalk standing up about 3 feet! Thin, crisp, delicious, but hilarious how tall it got in 2 days!!!

Old 04-19-2012, 08:44 AM   #1774
Stazon Splitcoast

Gotta love hubby. When they get into something, they're like kids and you don't want to burst their bubble. LOL I've never used cayanne fresh. I know you can roast them like bells and pablano's but that only increases the heat. Most of the time I think they're just dried.

My tires are big 4x4 truck tires and yeah, they might be a bit close but I only had 2 tires and the package had 10 starts in it so I just divided them between the two tires. I guess I'll have even less chance of weeds.

I wound up with 7 hills for pumpkins with 4 corn plants around each one. I'll probably wind up thinning the corn to 3 plants once they come up. The pumpkins will also get thinned to 2 or 3 per hill. I still need to mulch that bed but I was happy just to get them planted and everything watered yesterday. I did find 3 volunteer cantalope in that bed. I need to prep the other bed and get those moved before I mulch.

Just like yarn... so many projects so little time
Old 04-19-2012, 11:45 AM   #1775

Isn't it the truth?
I have so much yarn in various locations in the house. And about 5 projects semi-done now, and I keep sitting down thinking I will pull one out to finish lately, but too many other things calling me... I suspect they won't get finished until Fall.
I have a pillow project, a shawl, a hat, an afghan, and some little whimsy types like sachets...

Old 04-20-2012, 05:54 AM   #1776
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Isn't it the truth?
I have so much yarn in various locations in the house. And about 5 projects semi-done now, and I keep sitting down thinking I will pull one out to finish lately, but too many other things calling me... I suspect they won't get finished until Fall.
I have a pillow project, a shawl, a hat, an afghan, and some little whimsy types like sachets...
And don't forget your projects for the tagged textiles swap... Just teasing! I think we all sympathize with your unfinished projects!

Kelly! Great to see you back and congrats on those leads! Sounds exciting!!
Old 04-20-2012, 08:36 AM   #1777
Stazon Splitcoast

Good morning girls.
Yesterday was near non-productive. I don't know what was in my breakfast sandwich at the restaurant but by 10:30 I couldn't keep my eyes open. I slept until 3:30! Got the lawn mowed (3 hours), ate supper and watched 3 shows off the DVR. Barely made it til 9 when Bob called to check in.

Today is starting off much better
Old 04-23-2012, 07:44 AM   #1778

Somedays you just need it, Kelly.

We had so much rain, and a busy Saturday, then on Sunday morning a busy morning with church, and more rain and a cold front, so by the time we got home on Sunday afternoon at 130pm, I had a massive migraine, ate a sandwich and then dozed off on the couch and woke up at 5pm! So I know exactly what you mean.
I still battled the headache til I went to bed but feel better today, PTL!

Old 04-23-2012, 03:04 PM   #1779
Mad Swapper

Hi everybody! Got a cold last week and I have been of the grid. So not fun! I still have the sniffles. cough' cough' cough'

The first day was really bad--my throat was so sore I couldn't talk! But on the plus side I did get to work on my latest crochet project.

I had bought some crochet books last week and got go through those too. WHEW! So many stitches, so little time! And complicated! It just makes wonder........who in the would came up with this?! Who in their right mind would take a piece of string and a little stick with nick in it, and try and do anything with it? LOL!
Old 04-24-2012, 05:12 AM   #1780

Come join us for a tea party! http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/fo...t-t551930.html

Old 04-26-2012, 12:17 PM   #1781
Pearl-ExPert

Hey ladies. Missed ya! I've been doing a little family visiting, but am back to reality now. You ladies are doing great with your gardens. I am planting my potatoes in burlap bags so I can just add dirt and keep rolling up the bag sides as I go. Wish me luck, right? Anyway, our garden is very rocky so need to grown them in containers. I will not pay what containers and grow bags cost, soooo.... I'm doing it this way. I'll let you know, lol.

Yep, lots of crochet stuff happening, too... But with family things, spring sports and such I rarely get any time. And we've had sooo much rain lately there has been NO further gardening. Hopefully tomorrow.

Hey, Summer Breeze... Glad you're on the mend! Crochet has quite a history. I don't think they actually "know" it's true origin, but if you google Irish crochet you will see some history. I love Irish crochet partly because of it's story. Ladies made lace and crocheted up a storm to feed their families, etc. Check it out.
Old 04-26-2012, 12:33 PM   #1782
Mad Swapper

Thanks! I'm doing even better today, thank goodness! The yardwork waits for no one!

I will look that up, thanks. Knitting and crocheting just fascinates me--all those stitches and techniques. Who would'a thunk it? LOL
Old 04-30-2012, 06:54 AM   #1783
Pearl-ExPert

Good morning all! Did you have a good weekend? I managed to finish a cute little crocheted ball this weekend. I had a new baby in mind for this gift, but now have to get it back from DD, lol.
Old 04-30-2012, 08:29 AM   #1784

Oh you know you can't do that... just time to make another!

Old 04-30-2012, 10:28 AM   #1785

I received packs of unsweetened Koolaid with some pale vanilla tone yarn from a secret sister, and Christina mentioned that it was to dye the yarn on that thread...
So... I thought I'd come over here and ask how do I do that??? I've never even heard of it!

Old 04-30-2012, 11:02 AM   #1786
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
I received packs of unsweetened Koolaid with some pale vanilla tone yarn from a secret sister, and Christina mentioned that it was to dye the yarn on that thread...
So... I thought I'd come over here and ask how do I do that??? I've never even heard of it!
Here ya go:

knitty.com

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Old 04-30-2012, 12:53 PM   #1787

Oh my! Fabulous! Thank you!

Old 04-30-2012, 02:00 PM   #1788
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
Oh my! Fabulous! Thank you!
You're welcome. My youngest dd has 6 children, yes 6 (expecting #7 in June) and still manages to find time to knit. She told me it's because you can knit standing up and walking around, lol.

Anyhow, she was all into knitting cloth diaper "soakers" because she uses cloth diapers for her babies. You can knit these cute little covers to make the diapers waterproof. She did a lot of Kool Aid dying of yarn when she was making them.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Old 04-30-2012, 05:19 PM   #1789
Pearl-ExPert

See, Susan? There ya go!
Old 04-30-2012, 05:32 PM   #1790

Wow, I'm not knitting any diaper covers. No way! I sewed my own covers with plastic lining and velcro 30 years ago before anyone sold them that way in the U.S. (my aunt sent me a couple of them from Japan and I used them as the pattern!). I am long since done with diapers. hehe

Bless her... 7 kids... wow...

We have 6 between us... he had 2 from one marriage, and I had two from mine... and he was married a second time and didn't plan on anymore but along came twin girls (15 years after the others)... then he and I met later when they were 9 yrs old and married...
So 6 total from ages 9 to 31, and 5 grandkids now, but we rarely see any as mine lives several states away and even though his are only 10 min away, we're lucky to see them every 3 mths if that!

Old 04-30-2012, 05:32 PM   #1791

I do however have two big dogs who are getting along in age and I suspect I may have to start buying depends for them possibly... hahah

Old 05-01-2012, 04:12 AM   #1792
Pearl-ExPert

Oh no! Lol.
Old 05-01-2012, 04:13 AM   #1793
Pearl-ExPert

Crocheted pooch panties...
Old 05-01-2012, 02:03 PM   #1794

That just sounds wierd, doesn't it????

Old 05-01-2012, 08:17 PM   #1795
Stazon Splitcoast

HI girls... just checking in on all my threads while I wait for Bob to call.

No crocheting here. I do have strawberries, tomatoes, corn, peas, pumpkins, potatoes coming up. I still have more tomatoes to plant, some strawberries to move and flowers to plant. I warned Bob we must have the greenhouse finished this fall. Prices for those 4-pks of seedlings is seriously outrageous! Either that or I've just gotten tight in my old age. LOL

I've also been doing a lot of writing. Just met a couple of contest deadlines. Have another one the 30th of this month. Plus I've done 2 more interviews I hope to work up articles with. yeah..ready for a vacation

Which I'll get on the 19th. Did I tell you we get Adrian for 6 weeks?! LOL But after July 5th, I'll be pretty much on my own schedule again til Birthdays start popping up in Oct and Nov.
Old 05-02-2012, 05:24 AM   #1796

I have to get the rest of my garden planted, including the potatoes that arrived! Its rained so much here on almost all my days off of late, that I hvaen't been able to get things done! Hopefully this weekend!
Yes, I agree on a greenhouse, been wanting one myself.
Yes, seeds have definitely gone up. I tried to harvest some myself from my last crop but not sure how they are doing just yet. A few coming up, we shall see...

6 weeks of Adrian will be a blast for you! I can imagine the fun you two will have in the garden alone!

Old 05-02-2012, 05:51 AM   #1797
Pearl-ExPert

I know- the rain is great but we haven't been able to plant either! We had a couple storms move through yesterday but it was hot and sunny by the time hubby came home. So we decided to skip the gym and get our exercise by gardening. Got a little done. Hope to get the rest in next week. I am seriously stressed though that we have black widows around our garden. I want my kids to be in the garden with us so it REALLY bothers me. We have to move some rocks that are a nice habitat for them. DH removed some old stumps but we have a pasture next door to us and I'm guessing they live there too. Ugh!
Old 05-02-2012, 09:46 AM   #1798

Oh no, Christina! I would freak over the BW's there around the kids or even around me!
I love nature, but some of the bugs out there and I do not get along...

Gnats for example. I hate the gnats here, never had to deal with those out west when I gardened there, don't know if its a humidity thing or elevation thing or what. They drive me crazy here. I had one in my eye last year that resulted in an eye infection so this year my sister is sending me the no-see-um nets (mosquito nets you put over a big brimmed hat). You can just imagine me looking like Katherine Hepburn (though a lot more rolly polly style) out there with my hat and mosquito net on...

Old 05-02-2012, 11:58 AM   #1799
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christina612 View Post
I know- the rain is great but we haven't been able to plant either! We had a couple storms move through yesterday but it was hot and sunny by the time hubby came home. So we decided to skip the gym and get our exercise by gardening. Got a little done. Hope to get the rest in next week. I am seriously stressed though that we have black widows around our garden. I want my kids to be in the garden with us so it REALLY bothers me. We have to move some rocks that are a nice habitat for them. DH removed some old stumps but we have a pasture next door to us and I'm guessing they live there too. Ugh!
I'm not big on using chemicals, but with black widows and brown recluse prevalent around here, I swear by Home Defense. It is not toxic to children or pets. Try spraying it around the perimeter of your garden area - not near the vegetables directly. It might help deter those little critters.

We spray around the foundation of our house each spring and fall (though it has a 12-month rate) and around window/ door frames to keep them outside where they belong and not in the house.
You can find it in the Lawn and Garden section of WM. Around here the price has recently been rolled back to under $5 a jug. It's self-contained with the trigger gun - no mixing or putting in a separate sprayer.
Old 05-02-2012, 12:01 PM   #1800
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Oh no, Christina! I would freak over the BW's there around the kids or even around me!
I love nature, but some of the bugs out there and I do not get along...

Gnats for example. I hate the gnats here, never had to deal with those out west when I gardened there, don't know if its a humidity thing or elevation thing or what. They drive me crazy here. I had one in my eye last year that resulted in an eye infection so this year my sister is sending me the no-see-um nets (mosquito nets you put over a big brimmed hat). You can just imagine me looking like Katherine Hepburn (though a lot more rolly polly style) out there with my hat and mosquito net on...
LOL I see a new avatar in your future
Speaking of avatar, look what a big boy he's getting to be.