Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree44Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2011, 11:17 AM   #1281
Stazon Splitcoast

I need to put the living room back together this afternoon so I can have my chair to knit or crochet in. I have a sterilite tub downstairs of baby yarns in various colors. I think I'm going to knit Abby an afghan out of it. I need to check with the knit store owner to find out how to change colors. That would get rid of one tub of yarn out of the quilt room LOL We won't discuss how many others to go... though most of them are fabric, not yarn.

I want to work on the afghan right away so I can imbed this knitting thing into my brain beyond the 18 rows I did during class on Sat.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 07-03-2011, 11:19 AM   #1282
Stazon Splitcoast

I havent' seen Lord of the Rings in a long time. I don't spend much time in front of the tv any more. By the time I can watch something on TV I'm ready to stretch out on the bed and wind down with something like Criminal Minds or the history channel
Old 07-03-2011, 11:20 AM   #1283
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by StampinGoodDeeds View Post
Have a safe and blessed Independence Day!
You too, Susan... and everyone!
Old 07-05-2011, 08:36 AM   #1284
Swapper of the Month March 2012

I KNEW we had so much in common... I have 2 of those same tubs tucked behind my chair in the living room with yarn... and then I bought one of those footstool/benches which stores stuff in it for the living room when we bought this house and I ended up filling it too! I'm just trying to use up some of the overflow stuff that won't fit in those containers at the moment... hehe

You would be proud of me... the Walmart here had a whole rack of Homespun yarn on clearance.... I pulled out a bunch, had about 20 of them in the basket... and started to walk to the cashier and then asked myself, WHAT ARE YOU DOING?? AS IF YOU DON'T HAVE ENOUGH YARN!!! and I put all but 6 rolls back, and only got those to use for prayer shawls projects...

6 is better than 20... I'm getting better anyhow...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrappinCEO View Post
I need to put the living room back together this afternoon so I can have my chair to knit or crochet in. I have a sterilite tub downstairs of baby yarns in various colors. I think I'm going to knit Abby an afghan out of it. I need to check with the knit store owner to find out how to change colors. That would get rid of one tub of yarn out of the quilt room LOL We won't discuss how many others to go... though most of them are fabric, not yarn.

I want to work on the afghan right away so I can imbed this knitting thing into my brain beyond the 18 rows I did during class on Sat.

I'm Stampin' Good Deeds, Are You?
Old 07-06-2011, 06:05 AM   #1285

SHARING A NEW PROJECT/SWAP/GOOD DEED: Crochet Chemo Caps! http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/fo...a-t532268.html

Also, don't forget about the baby blankets one in my signature too!!!

Old 07-06-2011, 04:32 PM   #1286

Hi Everyone! If you have Facebook, look here at my grandson's pic and vote for him please! It is so cute!!! Of course, I'm partial, but this is a super cute pic!
The 2011 Gerber Generation Photo Search on Facebook | Facebook

Old 07-07-2011, 04:33 AM   #1287
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Hi Everyone! If you have Facebook, look here at my grandson's pic and vote for him please! It is so cute!!! Of course, I'm partial, but this is a super cute pic!
The 2011 Gerber Generation Photo Search on Facebook | Facebook
What a sweetie! You have good reason to be partial! lol! I voted for him....
Old 07-07-2011, 06:48 AM   #1288
Pearl-ExPert

Hi, everyone!! I'm hoping someone can help me with a couple of questions...

For anyone that crochets (or uses crochet thread or embroidery floss), can you help me understand the sizing? I have a TON of embroidery floss at home that I want to use for small crochet projects. But most of the projects call for size 3 or 10 or 20, etc crochet thread. What is the floss comparable to? Also, most embroidery floss comes in 6-ply (so you have to split into 2-thread sections to cross-stitch with); so if you crochet with it, do you use the full strand, or only part of it?

Also, I have a bunch of crochet thread at home with no labels...size 3 is the heaviest with 20 being thinnest, right??
Old 07-07-2011, 07:44 AM   #1289

Thanks, Toni for voting for him.
Can't tell you on the sizing for embroidery floss as I haven't use it, but I have used crochet thread with the small hooks... and I think that is about the same thickness so you might look for patterns that reference the crochet thread and go from that.

This site has tutorials, perhaps it could help? Crochet Pattern Central - Free, Online Crochet Patterns - Beginner Crochet Instructions - Crochet Tips, Tricks, Testimonials and More!

Old 07-08-2011, 12:22 PM   #1290

Hey, you can vote for my incredibly cute grandson every day! The]The 2011 Gerber Generation Photo Search on Facebook | Facebook 2011 Gerber Generation Photo Search on Facebook | Facebook

Old 07-10-2011, 09:46 AM   #1291

I LOVE ORGANIC GARDENING!!!!
Just have to share! Wish you were here to share the harvest! This morning I picked about 5 lbs of green beans, a huge bowl of fresh spinach, 3 big bok choys (full ones), about 1.5 lbs of snap and snow peas, some tomatoes, and a big bunch of thai basil from my garden. I calculate approx. $75 of produce. I have some of it cooking now (green beans with ham, potatoes, onions, broth, pepper, tumeric) and am sharing the bounty with the neighbor (they share theirs with us too --- works out well as we grown different things, got fresh broccoli from them yesterday!), and also with my brother in law/sister in law when they stop by later. Just yesterday we took a big bag of butter lettuce and a pile of peas to my mother in law also. We have been enjoying lettuce cups in the butter lettuce, so delicious!

The tomatoes are going to be a bumper crop this year I can tell... 12 roma plants have them growing like crazy , just waiting for them to turn red; and there are a dozen bell pepper plants blooming and starting to grow now too. I planted swiss chard seeds last week in three planters and they are already 2" tall... should make for a great September crop of that! The green onions are slow but surely coming along too. If the beans keep producing at this rate, I may get another 20 lbs or 30 lbs more from them too! I reseeded spinach and butter lettuce also for a Sept/Oct crop of those. I love fresh and organic produce grown at home!

I still have more that I want to plant and lots that I hadn't planted but wanted to, and am already planning for next year too.

Old 07-13-2011, 12:34 PM   #1292

If you haven't joined yet, here is the perfect swap for you crochet and knit queens!
http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/fo...a-t532268.html

Old 07-18-2011, 04:20 PM   #1293
Polyshrink Goddess

Default Help!!!

Ladies,

I need your help, please. I have finished a baby blanket for a friend's daughter. She's due in a few months so I still have a small window of time before the shower. The body of the blanket is an alternating V shell ( shell stitch - three double crochets in one stitch) skip two chains then V stitch ( double crochet, chain one, double crochet).

The vertical edges of the blanket do not look as polished as the top and bottom rows so I wanted to do an edge/border. Well, all the books I've seen have told me to make a single crochet in the stitches and to add more as necessary to avoid straining, puckering, etc.

Nothing I'm doing looks good. I am tempted to go without an edge/border. What do you typically do??? I am at my wits end with this thing.

Thanks for your help!
Old 07-18-2011, 04:32 PM   #1294
Polyshrink Goddess

Default Forgot to mention -

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuntKimi View Post
Ladies,

I need your help, please. I have finished a baby blanket for a friend's daughter. She's due in a few months so I still have a small window of time before the shower. The body of the blanket is an alternating V shell ( shell stitch - three double crochets in one stitch) skip two chains then V stitch ( double crochet, chain one, double crochet).

The vertical edges of the blanket do not look as polished as the top and bottom rows so I wanted to do an edge/border. Well, all the books I've seen have told me to make a single crochet in the stitches and to add more as necessary to avoid straining, puckering, etc.

Nothing I'm doing looks good. I am tempted to go without an edge/border. What do you typically do??? I am at my wits end with this thing.

Thanks for your help!
the yarn I used is a Light weight #3, baby yarn, so it's not bulky at all - I think that's most of my issue since the stitches are small with the yarn being so light.
Old 07-18-2011, 04:49 PM   #1295
Matboard Maniac

Can't you just do a crochet ruffle around it?
Old 07-20-2011, 07:40 AM   #1296

I'm one for the single crochet edge mostly, but I have done a ruffle here and there too, the last one I did that because I ran out of the yarn and had to do a coordinating yarn edge and the ruffle turned out cute.

Old 07-20-2011, 07:41 AM   #1297

GOOD DEED ALERT!!!
In case you have some extra cards around to donate…
Or feel like making new ones!

OPEN & RECRUITING***THANK YOU CARD SWAP FOR RONALD MCDONALD HOUSES! DUE AUG 15TH***

OPEN & RECRUITING***BIRTHDAY CARD SWAP FOR RONALD MCDONALD HOUSES! DUE AUG 15TH***

Janie is also always looking for folks to coordinate with their local RMcD houses supplying cards and kits to them should you ever have any interest.
Request for cards and/or stamping supplies for Ronald McDonald House! - Splitcoaststampers.com

Old 07-20-2011, 02:24 PM   #1298
Stazon Splitcoast

Garden sounds fab, Susan! I'm picking more sweet banana peppers than anything. My tomatoes are starting to come on but this heat is really sucking the water out of them... which they desperately need. I'm going to water again tonight after I mow.
Old 07-20-2011, 04:56 PM   #1299
Polyshrink Goddess

using a single crochet was causing gaps on the edges, so instead I'm doing a round of slip stitches and then will come up with something
Old 07-21-2011, 03:12 AM   #1300

Well, we suddenly have some beetles which worries me greatly! I think this heat is what brought it on... supposed to have 97 today and 100 tomorrow, and that isn't counting for humidity and heat index. Ick. Its 7am and already in the 80s here today. The AC is cranking.

Supposed to get rain and a little cooler starting on Saturday, I sure hope it does! We sprayed with soap water, but not sure that will get rid of the beetles. I garden organically so am really hoping it works.

We had our first bunch of romas this past week --- have had about a dozen so far, but they aren't nearly as productive as they should have been... all that rain was great here but now this heat is baking them on the vine!

Quote:
Garden sounds fab, Susan! I'm picking more sweet banana peppers than anything. My tomatoes are starting to come on but this heat is really sucking the water out of them... which they desperately need. I'm going to water again tonight after I mow.

Old 07-27-2011, 06:05 AM   #1301

Was making a ski cap for kids but ran out of that color, but I too another color and added a ruffle to it instead and 3 crocheted flowers and am going to use it for the Cancer Caps swap instead. I also crocheted a lime beret too and added the crocheted flowers.

Old 08-01-2011, 12:25 PM   #1302

BE KIND!!! DO GOOD AND HELP TO MAKE A DIFFERENCE FOR CHILDREN: Click and accept the mission to give someone working outdoors a cold drink tomorrow. If enough of us do the kind deed, children in need are helped too -- scroll down on the page to see. Current KINDING Mission - August 2011
The KINDING MissionThis KIND Tuesday, August 2nd (or ANY time before midnight on August 2nd!), give a cold beverage to someone working outdoors (a construction worker, camp counselor, landscaper, lifeguard, or even your neighbor who is always tending to his or her lawn)!

Old 08-01-2011, 04:37 PM   #1303
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Well, we suddenly have some beetles which worries me greatly! I think this heat is what brought it on... supposed to have 97 today and 100 tomorrow, and that isn't counting for humidity and heat index. Ick. Its 7am and already in the 80s here today. The AC is cranking.

Supposed to get rain and a little cooler starting on Saturday, I sure hope it does! We sprayed with soap water, but not sure that will get rid of the beetles. I garden organically so am really hoping it works.

We had our first bunch of romas this past week --- have had about a dozen so far, but they aren't nearly as productive as they should have been... all that rain was great here but now this heat is baking them on the vine!
Susan... try this tonic. It's what I use. You should spray it every two weeks but I'm spraying every week so I remember. LOL

Make a tobacco tea with 3 fingers of chewing tobacco and warm water in a gallon jug.

Then in a hose end sprayer mix
1 C. Antiseptic mouthwash (like listerine)
1 C. dish washing liquid
1 C. tobacco tea

Fill the sprayer jug the rest of the way with warm water and spray your plants (preferrably in the evening) until they are dripping. Spray UNDER the leaves as well as from the top.
Old 08-01-2011, 04:40 PM   #1304
Stazon Splitcoast

Bob and I worked for less than 2 hours last night to dig out/ rearrange my quilt room. We used our old entertainment center to hold my boxes of quilt of the month kits. I can put my yarn project bags on the bottom shelves.

Best part... I can now get to my yarn boxes so maybe I'll be able to get some stuff done up!
Old 08-02-2011, 06:08 AM   #1305
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuntKimi View Post
using a single crochet was causing gaps on the edges, so instead I'm doing a round of slip stitches and then will come up with something
How did this work out for you?
Old 08-02-2011, 06:03 PM   #1306
Stazon Splitcoast

Does anyone have a pattern for making scrubbies using nylen netting? I would sure appreciate getting one if I could!
Old 08-03-2011, 04:36 AM   #1307

Okay, but if the twins starting asking for Skoal every time they eat the beans from now on, I'm sending them to you to finish raising them in their teen years...

Quote:
Susan... try this tonic. It's what I use. You should spray it every two weeks but I'm spraying every week so I remember. LOL

Make a tobacco tea with 3 fingers of chewing tobacco and warm water in a gallon jug.

Then in a hose end sprayer mix
1 C. Antiseptic mouthwash (like listerine)
1 C. dish washing liquid
1 C. tobacco tea

Fill the sprayer jug the rest of the way with warm water and spray your plants (preferrably in the evening) until they are dripping. Spray UNDER the leaves as well as from the top.

Old 08-03-2011, 04:38 AM   #1308

Will any of these work? Scrubbies and Cloths with Scrubbies | Dish and Wash Cloth Mania

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2CuteCats View Post
Does anyone have a pattern for making scrubbies using nylen netting? I would sure appreciate getting one if I could!

Old 08-03-2011, 03:10 PM   #1309
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Okay, but if the twins starting asking for Skoal every time they eat the beans from now on, I'm sending them to you to finish raising them in their teen years...
ROFL I think you're safe hehe
Old 08-03-2011, 04:21 PM   #1310
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Thanks so much Susan!
Old 08-08-2011, 06:24 AM   #1311

LADIES: Break out the needles for a good cause right here on SCS! http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/fo...a-t532268.html

Hope to see you there!!!

Old 08-08-2011, 06:25 AM   #1312

Oh good, I made you laugh! I was in line at the convenience store I want you to know and saw all these people buying tabacco and thought about this... would you believe I was too chicken to ask to buy a pack of chewing tobacco????

I'm sending DH for it.

Quote:
ROFL I think you're safe hehe

Old 08-10-2011, 05:48 PM   #1313
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Oh good, I made you laugh! I was in line at the convenience store I want you to know and saw all these people buying tabacco and thought about this... would you believe I was too chicken to ask to buy a pack of chewing tobacco????

I'm sending DH for it.
ROFL

Glad I can laugh without coughing hehe

If you want, I can send you a care package hehe
Old 08-11-2011, 08:44 AM   #1314

Hope you are all better. I had to get the antibiotics shot and steroid shot last time to get rid of the bronchitis. Ouch. Hips still feel them.

Hey, was thinking of you when I harvested 110 romas out of the garden on Tuesday, along with several heirloom tomatoes and a whole bowl of cherry/grape/pear/jelly bean tomatoes (why are they always named for other fruits and foods??).

Old 08-11-2011, 09:51 AM   #1315

ENABLING YOUR CREATIVITY INTO THE NEW YEAR: http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/fo...a-t535259.html

Come join me!

Old 08-11-2011, 10:47 AM   #1316
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Hope you are all better. I had to get the antibiotics shot and steroid shot last time to get rid of the bronchitis. Ouch. Hips still feel them.

Hey, was thinking of you when I harvested 110 romas out of the garden on Tuesday, along with several heirloom tomatoes and a whole bowl of cherry/grape/pear/jelly bean tomatoes (why are they always named for other fruits and foods??).
That's a really good question. Maybe to inspire kids to eat them?

I haven't looked at mine since Sunday before the storm when I plucked tomato worms off my Healthy Kick.

I thought those would be like Roma's. They are shaped like them but they are smaller. But they're supposed to be higher in Licopene.

Right now I'm cooking up meat that thawed out yesterday. Apparently when I transferred power from the portable generator back to the main house outlet, the downstairs (overflow) freezer quit working. Don't know what made me check it this morning but was glad I did. So far I've fried up an entire ham which had been packaged into 2 slices per package, and am now making sausage out of pork patties. Still have butterfly pork chops to do. I think I'm just going to throw out the package of leg quarters. Then tomorrow I'm canning all the fruit that thawed out. ::: sigh ::::

Up side... I've done a serious clean-out of the freezer LOL
Old 08-11-2011, 11:54 AM   #1317

Oh my, you are a busy one today!
Sorry I'm not close by to help! Sounds like soup time to me on meats.

Old 08-11-2011, 01:59 PM   #1318
Mad Swapper

hi everyone!

i am looking for some guest artists for the holiday issue of Through the Craft Room Door. i would love to include some crocheted holiday items! it would need to include instructions OR a link to where you got the pattern. please CLICK HERE to submit your projects - we need them in by Oct 10.
Old 08-11-2011, 03:02 PM   #1319
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Oh my, you are a busy one today!
Sorry I'm not close by to help! Sounds like soup time to me on meats.
The ham steaks got fried up and repackaged. ground pork was still good so I turned it into sausage and browned it for sausage gravy. and the butterfly pork chops were still good so I sprinkled them with bbq seasoning and grilled them up. The only thing I really lost was a couple of turkey carcasses for turkey soup and a package of chicken thighs. Nothing to fret over.

Tomorrow I'll put all the fruit into pint jars... so there's another day the living room won't get cleaned.
Old 08-13-2011, 05:10 PM   #1320
Polyshrink Goddess

Default Baby blanket update

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryperri View Post
How did this work out for you?
Hi - thanks for asking.

I didn't like how that turned out either. So, I've put that blanket away and started a new one, this time using the same yarn in a giant granny square. Like this one much better as all four sides are even and I'll be able to do a pretty edging on it.

I'm tempted to unravel the first blanket, but hubby and a friend said not to, but rather give it to Ashlee along w/ the granny square blanket. Am still considering it as I don't like to give anything unless I'm really pleased with it.