Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree49Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2010, 02:19 PM   #961
Embossing Fanatic

Default Hello!

Hi, everyone! I have been crocheting off and on since my grandma showed me how to over 25 years ago. Mostly, I crochet items for charity. I am also trying to learn how to knit, and I'm a newbie to stamping and papercrafting. I am interested in crocheting some flowers to use with my stamping crafts, and I saw lots of great crochet ideas as I skimmed through the posts.
Old 10-18-2010, 05:42 AM   #962
Swapper of the Month March 2012

Congrats Kimi and Welcome Lianne.

I learned to crochet from my mom when I was little and she taught me to do a granny square. It was all I knew how to do until I was in my late teens and figured out how to read those crochet pattern books on my own... at least I think I did... Who knows, maybe I am doing it wrong all these years! haha Well, it works anyhow.
I'm almost done with one baby afghan, just did a large granny square version, for the lady I work with who is due in December. Have another one to do for a baby girl due in December, and then my GS's of course. I was cleaning out the craft room some this weekend, packing items up to go to storage, and sure enough found a whole stack of old crochet books so found 3 that were just on baby afghans. I knew I had to have some somewhere!

Lianne -- Check with Christina612 on here too about the flowers -- she makes lovely ones!

I'm Stampin' Good Deeds, Are You?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 10-18-2010, 02:11 PM   #963
Insane Embellisher

Ladies,

I've decided to make an afghan for myself, since being a beginner, I know it won't be gift worthy. My question is, I'm going to be repeating rows of single and double crochet stitches ( no set pattern) , but how long is the "typical" afghan? I guess I need to count my chain stitches, so wondering how many I should be making?
Old 10-18-2010, 03:32 PM   #964
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by StampinGoodDeeds View Post
Congrats Kimi and Welcome Lianne.

I learned to crochet from my mom when I was little and she taught me to do a granny square. It was all I knew how to do until I was in my late teens and figured out how to read those crochet pattern books on my own... at least I think I did... Who knows, maybe I am doing it wrong all these years! haha Well, it works anyhow.
I'm almost done with one baby afghan, just did a large granny square version, for the lady I work with who is due in December. Have another one to do for a baby girl due in December, and then my GS's of course. I was cleaning out the craft room some this weekend, packing items up to go to storage, and sure enough found a whole stack of old crochet books so found 3 that were just on baby afghans. I knew I had to have some somewhere!

Lianne -- Check with Christina612 on here too about the flowers -- she makes lovely ones!
Thanks for the welcome, Susan! Baby items are one of my favorite things to crochet. I don't know if it's because of the yarn, the colors, the sizes, or all of the above but I enjoy it a lot. Also, thanks for the tip about Christina612 and crochet flowers.
Old 10-18-2010, 05:48 PM   #965
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuntKimi View Post
Ladies,

I've decided to make an afghan for myself, since being a beginner, I know it won't be gift worthy. My question is, I'm going to be repeating rows of single and double crochet stitches ( no set pattern) , but how long is the "typical" afghan? I guess I need to count my chain stitches, so wondering how many I should be making?
Kimi, if I make an afghan for myself, after I have the chain row to the end, I wrap it aroung my shoulders to see if it will go all the way around and overlap some. If it does, than I start crocheting my rows (if no pattern), if it doesn't overlap like I want than I add more chains until it does. I want to have plenty of blanket to wrap up in. For the lenght, I lay down on the bed or couch and if it covers my feet with some to spare, than it is long enough for me. Hope this helps. Mary
www.icantbelieveimadethat.blogspot.com
Proud RAK Member
"Always do your best. What you plan now, you will harvest later." Og Mandino
Old 10-18-2010, 05:52 PM   #966
Insane Embellisher

Thanks Mary!!!
Old 10-19-2010, 04:13 AM   #967

OH CHRISTINA!!!! Where are you!!!????????
I was bragging you up to Lianne about your flowers and thought for sure you'd post!

Old 10-19-2010, 04:16 AM   #968

Hi Kimi --
I'm not one to measure, so wouldn't be much help here... I am what you might describe as a less formal crochet-er... I just wing it til it seems like a good length.
I have afghans of various sizes and lengths. My favorite it the one that covers my queen size bed... made out of Homespun yarn... so warm and soft, and big enough that I can use it on my bed as a coverlet too (which in Fall and winter makes it look so warm and inviting you want to curl up in it all the time). But that one cost me a couple hundred dollars worth of yarn by the time I finished it!
I have others that are lap size, shawl size, and such, just big enough to cover up a person while watching tv. I'd say go with what you will use the most.

Old 10-19-2010, 04:19 AM   #969

QUESTION: I pulled out the old pattern books and found several baby blanket patterns but I noticed they all have the fringe around the edges.

Do you put fringe on your afghans? What about for babies? I guess I'm just wondering if that is safe? Would they pull them off, eat them, choke, etc.... you know??
These patterns all just did looping to attch the fringe, though I think I would tie mine in a knot if I did them....

Old 10-19-2010, 07:25 AM   #970
Stazon Splitcoast

Hey Ladies

I just got this in my email this morning and wanted to share it before I forgot
Free Crochet Patterns | Free Vintage Crochet Patterns

Also... on the flowers.. I have a link to a thread here I found when I first found this group...
Crocheted Daisy instructions are in Post #1 here

And Here

For this one, Refer to post #803 for directions to Posts containing flower directions elsewhere on the thread.

I'm down with a horrid cold right now so hope these are clear. LOL I will check back later in the week. If you have questions, PM me.
Old 10-19-2010, 07:26 AM   #971
Stazon Splitcoast

I would be leary about putting fringe on as well, Susan. Pretty it might be, but I think I would just crochet maybe a shell border around, instead. JMO
Old 10-19-2010, 10:04 AM   #972

Thanks, Kelly, that is what I was thinking so kind of hesitant to put fringe on.... I prefer your idea of shells so may do that.

Hope you feel better soon -- I've had the sinus stuff for a while so have put myself on a no/low wheat/salt/sugar/dairy diet to get it out of my system... I already feel better after 2 days of it... and tons of water too of course. Though I'm having a Pepsi withdrawal.

Old 10-19-2010, 01:21 PM   #973
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Thanks, Kelly, that is what I was thinking so kind of hesitant to put fringe on.... I prefer your idea of shells so may do that.

Hope you feel better soon -- I've had the sinus stuff for a while so have put myself on a no/low wheat/salt/sugar/dairy diet to get it out of my system... I already feel better after 2 days of it... and tons of water too of course. Though I'm having a Pepsi withdrawal.
Words my husband thought he'd never hear me say - "I'm tired of Mt. Dew" LOL

When I get this gunk, hot tea and Mt. Dew are the only 2 things I want to drink. The Carbonation cuts the stuff in my throat.

Mine is fall allergies that always go into a head/chest cold. Some people deal with spring pollen... for me, it's the dry leaves. And I so want to be out working in the yard right now. Our high today was 61 degrees and the leaves are begging to be bagged and mulched. ::: sigh :::

Guess I"ll just sit in the bubble tub with a book.
Old 10-19-2010, 02:43 PM   #974
Gabfest Goddess

No fringe on mine either, don't like it getting in my eyes! Shell or just chain around the border, this is not the pretties of borders but if it is for me, it doesn't bother me.
Proud RAK Member
Old 10-19-2010, 04:44 PM   #975
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrappinCEO View Post
Hey Ladies

Also... on the flowers.. I have a link to a thread here I found when I first found this group...

And Here

For this one, Refer to post #803 for directions to Posts containing flower directions elsewhere on the thread.

I'm down with a horrid cold right now so hope these are clear. LOL I will check back later in the week. If you have questions, PM me.
Thanks for the links--I can't wait to check them out! Hope you feel better...
Old 10-19-2010, 04:50 PM   #976
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:
QUESTION: I pulled out the old pattern books and found several baby blanket patterns but I noticed they all have the fringe around the edges.

Do you put fringe on your afghans? What about for babies? I guess I'm just wondering if that is safe? Would they pull them off, eat them, choke, etc.... you know??
These patterns all just did looping to attch the fringe, though I think I would tie mine in a knot if I did them....
I agree with the other ladies--I usually use a shell border or a picot edging on baby blankets.
Old 10-20-2010, 06:57 AM   #977

Oooh, watch that sodium as it will make the sinus issues worse!
You might want to try Steaz sodas, much better and they have a great lemon lime one that reminds me of dew, and my favorite is the orange.

I get all sorts of allergy/sinus issues out East here, never had them in CO. Sigh, I miss CO.
I would love to have a steam/sauna shower in my next home. Just for those times.

Quote:
Words my husband thought he'd never hear me say - "I'm tired of Mt. Dew" LOL

When I get this gunk, hot tea and Mt. Dew are the only 2 things I want to drink. The Carbonation cuts the stuff in my throat.

Mine is fall allergies that always go into a head/chest cold. Some people deal with spring pollen... for me, it's the dry leaves. And I so want to be out working in the yard right now. Our high today was 61 degrees and the leaves are begging to be bagged and mulched. ::: sigh :::

Guess I"ll just sit in the bubble tub with a book.

Old 10-20-2010, 06:59 AM   #978

Thanks everyone on the fringe answer. I'm almost done with the first one and think I'll see how a picot or shell looks on it. Its a granny square version so that might go well.

Old 10-20-2010, 07:23 PM   #979
Polyshrink Goddess

Hi Ladies- I am relatively new to crochet-only started last year. A friend of mine taught me some of the basics. I have only mad scarfs, hats, simple afghans and a few prayer shawls. I have only used simple stitches and am happy to have found this forum to ask questions and get ideas. Thanks for sharing.
Old 10-21-2010, 05:32 AM   #980
Pearl-ExPert

Any ideas for ladder ribbon yarn? I've made some necklaces with it, but thought maybe a skinny scarf would be neat with it.
Old 10-21-2010, 02:50 PM   #981
Stazon Splitcoast

Default Important Warning!

Hey ladies

I'm going to backread and then I'll be back but first I wanted to put out a very important warning.

Many of us shop on-line. This means our stuff is shipped UPS or USPS. Over the last couple of weeks I've received emails supposedly from these companies telling me I need to download something.

USPS told me that a package had been returned and I needed to download and fill out the new shipping label.
Ha! The day USPS becomes that conciencious about my mail will be the day I quit soap-boxing about them raising prices.

The one from UPS told me my package had been shipped and to download the attached form with my tracking number. Duh! the company I order from provides me with a tracking number.

Obviously I've not opened either of these but I do know sometimes when we're rushed, or expecting a package it might be second-nature to do what we're told. The one from USPS even had the official-looking letterhead. Nice try!

Just be AWARE!
Old 10-21-2010, 03:32 PM   #982
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breezy929 View Post
Any ideas for ladder ribbon yarn? I've made some necklaces with it, but thought maybe a skinny scarf would be neat with it.
What about bookmarks. Maybe do a picot edging on the long outside edges
Old 10-22-2010, 04:53 AM   #983
Pearl-ExPert

Here I am! I'm lucky to get computer time these days - or crochet time for that matter! You're bragging on my flowers? Thank you...

Quote:
OH CHRISTINA!!!! Where are you!!!????????
I was bragging you up to Lianne about your flowers and thought for sure you'd post!
Old 10-22-2010, 05:02 AM   #984
Pearl-ExPert

I don't do fringe for just that reason - everything goes in the mouth. I loke to make a border more like a scallop edging. Makes it look finished, but nothing loose.

Quote:

Old 10-22-2010, 05:05 AM   #985
Pearl-ExPert

THANK YOU for sharing this with us! Also, hope you are feeling much better!

Quote:
Hey ladies

I'm going to backread and then I'll be back but first I wanted to put out a very important warning.

Many of us shop on-line. This means our stuff is shipped UPS or USPS. Over the last couple of weeks I've received emails supposedly from these companies telling me I need to download something.

USPS told me that a package had been returned and I needed to download and fill out the new shipping label.
Ha! The day USPS becomes that conciencious about my mail will be the day I quit soap-boxing about them raising prices.

The one from UPS told me my package had been shipped and to download the attached form with my tracking number. Duh! the company I order from provides me with a tracking number.

Obviously I've not opened either of these but I do know sometimes when we're rushed, or expecting a package it might be second-nature to do what we're told. The one from USPS even had the official-looking letterhead. Nice try!

Just be AWARE!
Old 10-22-2010, 05:06 AM   #986
Pearl-ExPert

Hi and welcome! Sounds like you are well on your way! There are lots of wonderfully talented ladies here, enjoy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly4kidsRT View Post
Hi Ladies- I am relatively new to crochet-only started last year. A friend of mine taught me some of the basics. I have only mad scarfs, hats, simple afghans and a few prayer shawls. I have only used simple stitches and am happy to have found this forum to ask questions and get ideas. Thanks for sharing.
Old 10-22-2010, 05:10 AM   #987
Pearl-ExPert

Thanks for sharing this cool site!

Quote:
Hey Ladies

And Here

Old 10-22-2010, 05:33 AM   #988
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
What about bookmarks. Maybe do a picot edging on the long outside edges
I'm really not visioning what you mean here. Help a beginner out, please?
Old 10-22-2010, 08:08 AM   #989
Die Cut Diva

My favorite edging for afghans is very simple:

Round 1: Join yarn in any non-corner stitch. Sc, ch1, skip next stitch. Repeat until you reach the corner. In corner, sc, ch2, sc. Continue around, joining with a slip stitch or finishing off to change color.

Round 2. Join in any non-corner ch1 space if changing color. In ch1 space, do (sc, ch2, sc). Repeat in each ch 1 space to corner. In corner ch2 space, do (sc, ch2, sc, ch2, sc). Continue around, then finish off.

This makes a simple edge that looks kind of like a picot edge, but is much simpler. (I dislike doing picots because it's a pain (i.e. slows me down) to stitch into the chain each time.)

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing it is stupid. - Albert Einstein
Old 10-22-2010, 07:42 PM   #990
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breezy929 View Post
I'm really not visioning what you mean here. Help a beginner out, please?
Think VERY SHORT scarves LOL Like only about 6-8" long and maybe 2" wide. Might not even need to do an edging. But you could put a tassle on one end.
Old 10-25-2010, 08:00 AM   #991

Thanks, Chris!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdjkssss View Post
My favorite edging for afghans is very simple:

Round 1: Join yarn in any non-corner stitch. Sc, ch1, skip next stitch. Repeat until you reach the corner. In corner, sc, ch2, sc. Continue around, joining with a slip stitch or finishing off to change color.

Round 2. Join in any non-corner ch1 space if changing color. In ch1 space, do (sc, ch2, sc). Repeat in each ch 1 space to corner. In corner ch2 space, do (sc, ch2, sc, ch2, sc). Continue around, then finish off.

This makes a simple edge that looks kind of like a picot edge, but is much simpler. (I dislike doing picots because it's a pain (i.e. slows me down) to stitch into the chain each time.)

Old 10-25-2010, 08:04 AM   #992

Well, tried doing the picot and/or similar by Chris but because its Homespun yarn and a loose stitch which is already kind of fluffy and variegated colors, didn't show well really so I'm going with just several rows of a single crochet stitch I think to sort of give it that solid finished edge look. I just love how soft and warm Homespun feels.

Old 10-26-2010, 03:24 PM   #993
Gallery Gazer

Welcome to Davesgram, Kimeboss, Breezy929, Auntkimi, Lantzer, Fly4kidsRT!

Wow It's great to see all the new faces, & all the chatter on here. I've been working on my Christmas cards & tags, so not much hooking going on here. I have done a tiny bit on my ripple.

Has anybody started Christmas presents yet? I don't even have any ideas yet. LOL
Old 10-26-2010, 03:42 PM   #994
Stazon Splitcoast

Not so much Christmas presents as just the items for the Mitten Tree. I've completed 3 of the 8 black scarves I need. Still debating if I want to fringe them or not. These scarves are 150 stitches long and about 5" wide. They're geared towards elementary school kids. Opinions on whether to fringe or not? And if I don't fringe, how do you suggest I give those ends a finished look? The pattern (and I have always) fringed them.
Old 10-26-2010, 06:32 PM   #995
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Well, tried doing the picot and/or similar by Chris but because its Homespun yarn and a loose stitch which is already kind of fluffy and variegated colors, didn't show well really so I'm going with just several rows of a single crochet stitch I think to sort of give it that solid finished edge look. I just love how soft and warm Homespun feels.
Goodness, you get my respect for even trying to do picots with Homespun! Definitely stick with a very simple edging in this case. Some single crochets will give it that solid edge feeling, just like you suggested.

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing it is stupid. - Albert Einstein
Old 10-27-2010, 06:54 AM   #996

All I know is that my two 12 yr old twins love scarves or all sorts, especially anything fluffy or fringy.
Quote:
Not so much Christmas presents as just the items for the Mitten Tree. I've completed 3 of the 8 black scarves I need. Still debating if I want to fringe them or not. These scarves are 150 stitches long and about 5" wide. They're geared towards elementary school kids. Opinions on whether to fringe or not? And if I don't fringe, how do you suggest I give those ends a finished look? The pattern (and I have always) fringed them.

Old 10-27-2010, 06:56 AM   #997

Well, I tried the picot with that Homespun but could barely see where the stitch was much less the picot piece (And that's even with my glasses on!) hehe I've added several rows so far of single crochet to give it a solid finish, may do about 3 more as I like the look of the wide band around it!

Old 10-27-2010, 10:54 AM   #998
Swap Moderator
Swapper of the Month - November 2013

hey all... new here... but am a crocheter now for over 20 years and have trouble bypassing a yarn sale! Currently I just completed chemo caps and now on to a Scoodie for one of my daughters.

Join the FUN!

Old 10-27-2010, 05:49 PM   #999
Gabfest Goddess

What in the world is a Scoodie?
Proud RAK Member
Old 10-27-2010, 05:52 PM   #1000
Swap Moderator
Swapper of the Month - November 2013

The one I am making now is like a long scarf with a hood and pockets. I have some patterns for long and short versions of it. Let me know if you would a peek.... the short one is in a book but I could scan it for you next week when I am back at work.... ANYWHO... more than happy to share

Join the FUN!