Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree44Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2010, 10:50 AM   #761
Gallery Gazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by StampinGoodDeeds View Post
Good morning all! Just checking in.

My annual review went very well so I know I'll get a raise and promotion, just not sure to what level until it happens next month!
YAY! And continued good luck wishes.
Old 06-09-2010, 10:56 AM   #762
Gallery Gazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by identicaltriplets View Post

Thanks for the sweet welcome! The pattern is in this Prayer Shawl pattern book. I made them slightly larger than what the pattern says.
Cool. Thanks for the link.

I keep my hooks in this readers case I got on sale at Vera Bradley (less than $5 with coupon). Love keeping my hooks in this! My current projects(s) go in a single Vera Bradley bag though it need a bigger back when working on these 3 blankets at the same time! LOL! My yarn I store Rubbermaid bins kept in a wall unit with doors that we have. Works great for now as long as I don't try to hang on to too much yarn at a time.
Cute storage. I forgot to mention how I store my hooks & stuff. There is a post on my blog. Here.
Old 06-09-2010, 11:03 AM   #763
Gallery Gazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrappinCEO View Post
Hey Shelley... good to see you! Yeah, summer is a busy time. We're down to the final three weeks with the grandbaby and squeezing every minute in we can. Between spending time outside and doing the gardening, I'm not on here much either for now. We added 2 ducklings to our pond last week so I now have 2 more animals needing care in the morning and evening. LOL
Hey Kelly. Good to see you all too.You just soak up all the grandma time you can. I have 1 cat & she's more then I can handle sometimes. Which is a very good reason I don't have kids.
Old 06-09-2010, 11:08 AM   #764
Gallery Gazer

Quote:
I use an old pencil case that I got from my grandparents in Japan years (30+) ago to hold my crochet hooks. It is a zip up embroidered Tapestry one with an Ainu girl on it. Its a sentimental thing for me as well as practical. Of course, it only holds the ones I use the most, as I think I must have at least 3 dozen 'extras' that I picked up over time. Never fails I go on a trip and not take my crochet, then get bored or find something I want to try and pick up new stuff.
That's sweet that you can remember them everytime you crochet. I always take a project with me. Just something small. Even if I don't get around to it, it's better to have it just in case.
Old 06-10-2010, 02:10 AM   #765
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:
Hi Patter --
I have that same prayer shawl book and love it. I need to get their newest one that came out last year too.
Oooh, I didn't know they had a newer book. I will have to look! Thanks!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 06-10-2010, 04:49 AM   #766
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by split-pea View Post
Hey Kelly. Good to see you all too.You just soak up all the grandma time you can. I have 1 cat & she's more then I can handle sometimes. Which is a very good reason I don't have kids.
When we moved out here into the country 3 years ago, we had one Sheltie - Lady and my precious black tom cat - Spirit. Lady will be 15 next month. So at 12 years old we figured she wouldn't last much longer and all we'd have would be Spirit. It was a nice thought. LOL

Within 6 months someone had dropped off a brother/sister team of mixed origins. Buddy and Trixie are just loveable.They are part lab, rot (buddy) and blue heeler (trixie) They were about 6 months old when we got them. Trixie is blind in one eye and totally deaf - apparently since birth. 3 months later, a little gray tabby kitten showed up. She was about 9 weeks old and a delicate little thing. LOL Now Goddess is almost 2 years old and since we got her fixed, she looks like a basketball with a tennis ball for a head. hehe Hubby turned her into an 'inside' cat, much to Spirits dislike.

Then about 18 months ago our 'neighbors' left the state, leaving behind a 3 year old Great Pyrenese. Bear is adorable and you just have to wonder what they were thinking to tie him to the swing set without food or water and not tell anyone!

To round it out, last fall an orange tabby male showed up. I think he's the brother to the gray one. It just took him longer to wander over from the deserted trailer.

Now we have the two ducks... and guess who takes care of all of them! By the time you add in all the birds, the deer, the wild pot bellied pig and the hand-fed racoon - Bob calls me Dr. Doolittle. I guess it's better than Elly Mae.
Old 06-10-2010, 03:18 PM   #767
Gabfest Goddess

Kelly you are wonderful person to accept all of those "castaways"!! I don't understand how people can just "dump" their furry babies and not give a care about them. Your an angel to help them all!
www.icantbelieveimadethat.blogspot.com
Proud RAK Member
"Always do your best. What you plan now, you will harvest later." Og Mandino
Old 06-11-2010, 03:56 AM   #768
Gabfest Goddess

Wow, Kelly, I think I lost count. LOL! What are the total fur babies you have? I thought we had a lot with 3 dogs and 2 parrots. LOL!
Old 06-12-2010, 10:55 AM   #769
Swapper of the Month March 2012

Hi Everyone --
Just came back from a busy day... our music ministry opened the Christian Enlightening festival today at 10am, and before that I mailed out a bunch of swaps, and then afterwards had to pick up a few items at stores, and of course stopped at Michaels... they had some yarn on clearance and I found a pretty pale green one and then bought the latest issue of a Crochet magazine that had a pretty shawl on it also...
We're supposed to get a big rainstorm tonight, and then tomorrow the heat and humidity is supposed to be 'off the charts' and 'oppressive' according to the weatherman... so I'm thinking a few good movies, my new yarn and pattern, in front of the AC all day.

Hope your weekend is going well!

I'm Stampin' Good Deeds, Are You?
Old 06-12-2010, 11:01 AM   #770

I think we need to start calling you and your DH Dr. & Mrs. Doolittle -- you must be able to talk to the animals to draw all those to you!
What a blessing though too. Its like Old McDonald's with a twist.

I'll be out your way soon -- between Fort Leonard Wood and THe Lake of the Ozarks! I'll PM you.

Quote:
When we moved out here into the country 3 years ago, we had one Sheltie - Lady and my precious black tom cat - Spirit. Lady will be 15 next month. So at 12 years old we figured she wouldn't last much longer and all we'd have would be Spirit. It was a nice thought. LOL

Within 6 months someone had dropped off a brother/sister team of mixed origins. Buddy and Trixie are just loveable.They are part lab, rot (buddy) and blue heeler (trixie) They were about 6 months old when we got them. Trixie is blind in one eye and totally deaf - apparently since birth. 3 months later, a little gray tabby kitten showed up. She was about 9 weeks old and a delicate little thing. LOL Now Goddess is almost 2 years old and since we got her fixed, she looks like a basketball with a tennis ball for a head. hehe Hubby turned her into an 'inside' cat, much to Spirits dislike.

Then about 18 months ago our 'neighbors' left the state, leaving behind a 3 year old Great Pyrenese. Bear is adorable and you just have to wonder what they were thinking to tie him to the swing set without food or water and not tell anyone!

To round it out, last fall an orange tabby male showed up. I think he's the brother to the gray one. It just took him longer to wander over from the deserted trailer.

Now we have the two ducks... and guess who takes care of all of them! By the time you add in all the birds, the deer, the wild pot bellied pig and the hand-fed racoon - Bob calls me Dr. Doolittle. I guess it's better than Elly Mae.

Old 06-13-2010, 08:45 AM   #771
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by identicaltriplets View Post
Wow, Kelly, I think I lost count. LOL! What are the total fur babies you have? I thought we had a lot with 3 dogs and 2 parrots. LOL!
INSIDE - 1 dog, 2 cats
OUTSIDE - 3 dogs, 1 cat, 1 spoiled coon, pond of varied fish/frogs and 2 Peavey ducklings

PLUS add in all the wildlife that visits our back yard on a regular basis such as the doe and her 2 yearlings, a family of bunnies, 1 large black King snake, 1 large garden lizard (and several small ones)

I list those because they are regulars. The lizard likes to hang out on the screen of my garden shed and the King snake likes to hang out on the back concrete porch in the sun and torment the tom cat hehehe Even my 'wild' animals have a sense of humor.

We did have a opposom.. Mummzy... who would sit on the deck and beg for her dinner - right beside the tom cat. But she got too close to Buddy and Trixie's kennel one night and they got out. 'nough said.
Old 06-13-2010, 08:46 AM   #772
Stazon Splitcoast

Has anyone heard how Christina and Katie are doing?
Old 06-14-2010, 07:04 AM   #773

No, I've been sending her message but no updates lately. I know they are getting ready to move so perhaps they don't have computer set up anymore, not sure. Just praying all is well for them.
Quote:
Has anyone heard how Christina and Katie are doing?

Old 06-15-2010, 06:11 PM   #774
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
No, I've been sending her message but no updates lately. I know they are getting ready to move so perhaps they don't have computer set up anymore, not sure. Just praying all is well for them.
Thanks, Susan.
Old 06-16-2010, 01:58 PM   #775
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Kelly, I have to point you to a song - I think it might be your theme song! One of my favorite groups, Trout Fishing in America, has a song called The Eleven Cats of Christmas. You must listen to it. Here's a link to the album where you can preview the song:

Merry Fishes to All

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing it is stupid. - Albert Einstein
Old 06-16-2010, 05:17 PM   #776

Hi Everyone -- I just wanted to share that I heard from Christina! They got home from the hospital and a few days later she had a horrible headache, ended up back in the hospital, in and out a couple times... but long story short, she is home and recuperating and getting better now. Praise God! Please keep her in prayers as I know they are having too move soon too.

Old 06-16-2010, 05:54 PM   #777
Mad Swapper

Smile Question about crochet scrapbooking flowers.

hi shelley. great thread. so many talented ladies. i love to crochet and love to admire others' creations even more. that's why i never get anything done.. lol.

i was wondering if you could help me with a question. do any of you make the little flowers that everyone is using in their scrapbooking? i have made some and so my friends have asked me to sell them some. so far i have just given them to them. they want to pay me. but what would you charge? the yarn is cheap. it takes no time at all for me to knock ten out while i'm watching a movie. now the only reason i am considering taking money for them is because i am getting request from their friends who are not my friends. know what i mean? you can only be so nice and so generous because then it starts taking time away from doing other stuff i want to do for myself.

so my question is: what would you charge? would you charge for each flower? 5 for $____. do you have a formula you use?

thanks so much for your help.
Old 06-17-2010, 10:26 AM   #778

Hi Evelyn --
I know there are formulas people use, but really when it comes to selling items, its only worth what someone will pay for them.

So I would price them elsewhere and then go comparative to that.

For example, Create for Less sells a pack of 4 with 2 paper flowers for $3.00 http://www.createforless.com/Making+...utm_medium=cse

Here's one that has a variety pack of 27 leaves and flowers for $6.00
http://www.twopeasinabucket.com/shop...heted-flowers/

And another one for 16 varied sizes for $3.00
http://shop.scrapbooks.com/ac-77237.html

So it looks like they are ranging 20 - 50 cents each flower roughly.

I think a pack of 4-6 for $1.00 would be more than reasonable and great price myself. And that's for the simple ones that are single layer and 1-2" diameter -- if you are doing more complex ones (like the multi-layer ones or fancier designs or with button centers), then more cost.

Old 06-17-2010, 03:15 PM   #779

JUST SHARING: I was just reading the latest from Lion Brand Yarns, and there was an article about a woman making afghans for this group http://www.globalknit.org/

Old 06-17-2010, 04:37 PM   #780
Mad Swapper

Quote:
Hi Evelyn --
I know there are formulas people use, but really when it comes to selling items, its only worth what someone will pay for them.

So I would price them elsewhere and then go comparative to that.

For example, Create for Less sells a pack of 4 with 2 paper flowers for $3.00 http://www.createforless.com/Making+...utm_medium=cse

Here's one that has a variety pack of 27 leaves and flowers for $6.00
http://www.twopeasinabucket.com/shop...heted-flowers/

And another one for 16 varied sizes for $3.00
http://shop.scrapbooks.com/ac-77237.html

So it looks like they are ranging 20 - 50 cents each flower roughly.

I think a pack of 4-6 for $1.00 would be more than reasonable and great price myself. And that's for the simple ones that are single layer and 1-2" diameter -- if you are doing more complex ones (like the multi-layer ones or fancier designs or with button centers), then more cost.

well thank you, i really appreciate that. the 16 for $3.00 is a great deal if you ask me. i think i will refer them to that site from now on. they can get a much better deal from them than me. i have mostly been making the single layer one inch colored thread with a button or brad in the middle.
Old 06-22-2010, 12:29 PM   #781
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdjkssss View Post
Kelly, I have to point you to a song - I think it might be your theme song! One of my favorite groups, Trout Fishing in America, has a song called The Eleven Cats of Christmas. You must listen to it. Here's a link to the album where you can preview the song:

Merry Fishes to All
Thanks Chris, I think LOL

I'll try to listen to it tonight (I'm dial-up). If not, I'll book mark it and email myself a reminder to check it out next time on WiFi.
Old 06-24-2010, 10:03 AM   #782
Rubber Obsessor

Subbing. Somewhere in my browser changes. I lost you.
Old 06-26-2010, 05:32 AM   #783
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryperri View Post
Subbing. Somewhere in my browser changes. I lost you.
Hi Mary. Good to see you found your way back .

I think Susan is on her way to CO... lucky girl.

What's everyone else up to?
I got the LionBrand catty in the mail yesterday with some gorgeous designs showcased. Now to find the time....
Old 06-26-2010, 06:37 AM   #784
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
Hi Mary. Good to see you found your way back .
Thank you!
Old 07-04-2010, 08:45 PM   #785
Gallery Gazer

Hi all. Just checking in. I haven't done much crochet lately. It's been to hot. We've been doing a lot of yard & garden work.(to hot for that too, but it needs doing. )
Old 07-06-2010, 05:09 AM   #786
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by split-pea View Post
Hi all. Just checking in. I haven't done much crochet lately. It's been to hot. We've been doing a lot of yard & garden work.(to hot for that too, but it needs doing. )
I see on the news today where the heat is only going to get more intense for you guys. Drink lots of water and take lots of mini breaks.

Granddaughter left on Sun. a.m. I've started reclaiming my 'dungeon' so it looks less like a dungeon hehe
I should be back to crocheting in a couple weeks. For now, I just need to find the flow in the house again.
Old 07-06-2010, 11:44 AM   #787
Pearl-ExPert

Just popping in to say 'hi' to you all. We have made our move and FINALLY got our internet service hooked up today! Yeah! And little Cate is napping so I had a minute to get in here with you. Hope you all are doing well!
Old 07-06-2010, 11:46 AM   #788
Rubber Obsessor

Hi Christina, good to see you.
Old 07-06-2010, 11:48 AM   #789
Rubber Obsessor

Here is a freebee purse crocheted from tee shirts....http://www.crochetmagazine.com/newsl...epartment_id=7
I have not seen this one before.
Old 07-07-2010, 08:01 AM   #790
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christina612 View Post
Just popping in to say 'hi' to you all. We have made our move and FINALLY got our internet service hooked up today! Yeah! And little Cate is napping so I had a minute to get in here with you. Hope you all are doing well!
Hey Christina... That's great to hear. We've been thinking about you. Even talked about you a time or two. hehe
Old 07-08-2010, 10:33 AM   #791

Hi Christina -- SO glad to hear you and that all is well and settling.

We got back from our big trip, 3 weeks, and about 5000 miles put on, from WV to Missouri's Lake of the Ozarks, to Taos and Santa Fe NM, and up to CO, then back across on I-70. Long trip but good memories made!

Stopped at a Fabulous Yarn Shop in Taos... beautiful shawl there that I was going to get to crochet... the book was $15, which I can live with... but then when I priced the yarn... $39-$79/skein and it took something like 15 skeins... well, I decided I didn't really like it THAT much! It was all very beautiful hand-dyed if not hand-spun yarn but I'm just not that wealthy.
Instead, we went to dinner at a place called Ricky's... a little tiny family -owned place but fabulous food and only $5 or so a meal. If you are ever in Taos, its the place to go!

Old 07-09-2010, 04:10 AM   #792
Pearl-ExPert

So glad you had a good trip. Wow, you really put on some miles! I'd love to just be able to touch that yarn, lol. They probably don't let anyone touch it for that price. At least it was fun to see it, right?

Quote:
Hi Christina -- SO glad to hear you and that all is well and settling.

We got back from our big trip, 3 weeks, and about 5000 miles put on, from WV to Missouri's Lake of the Ozarks, to Taos and Santa Fe NM, and up to CO, then back across on I-70. Long trip but good memories made!

Stopped at a Fabulous Yarn Shop in Taos... beautiful shawl there that I was going to get to crochet... the book was $15, which I can live with... but then when I priced the yarn... $39-$79/skein and it took something like 15 skeins... well, I decided I didn't really like it THAT much! It was all very beautiful hand-dyed if not hand-spun yarn but I'm just not that wealthy.
Instead, we went to dinner at a place called Ricky's... a little tiny family -owned place but fabulous food and only $5 or so a meal. If you are ever in Taos, its the place to go!
Old 07-09-2010, 07:25 AM   #793

Oh it was absolutely beautiful yarn, hanging from the rafters and in bins all along the walls... in piles/baskets on tables... it was like yarn heaven...
Until you got the sticker shock. That was a quick zap back to reality.

I would love to have bought some but I realistically couldn't even afford the sale ones enough to do more than a simple scarf. They had a lot of alpaca, wool, etc...

Guess I'm sticking with my Lion Brand and Caron's for now.

Hope you are all bearing this heat wave well and safely. I looked at the Denver weather and it was 59 degrees and no humidity. My sister said she even had to wear a jacket. I'm missing it big time now! We had 102 yesterday with high humidity so it felt like 110 or more!

Old 07-12-2010, 10:58 AM   #794

Wow, where did everyone go? On vacation????
I'm back to work... and its super slow since there are so many people traveling or out.

Here's some fun ideas and links to keep you entertained (or more like, to keep me entertained today!):

Recycling Tshirts into Yarn:
http://www.crochetmagazine.com/newsletters.php

Did anyone else see the super cute amigurumi S'mores set and camping set to crochet in last month's Crochet magazine?

Old 07-12-2010, 02:39 PM   #795
Stazon Splitcoast

I wasn't exactly on vacation. I just got back from 4 days of peace and quiet at a conference. The conference was only 1 day. The other 3 days I shopped and made use of WiFi time. Now it's back to the real world. Might even break out the crochet hook tonight while I watch TV.

I figured out I've been dragging about this project is because I have to take it apart. I hate that part! LOL
Old 07-12-2010, 02:44 PM   #796

Oh silly me, I just saw that I reposted the same link that maryperry posted earlier!!!
Great minds think alike!

Old 07-12-2010, 02:44 PM   #797

Christina -- How's that beautiful baby girl doing? And how are you with the move!?

Old 07-12-2010, 02:46 PM   #798

Oh, I hate that too, especially if its a fuzzy yarn that snags or tangles when you try to pull apart....
My sister has a knitting group and they even take donated unfinished projects that people give them so they can use the yarn or finish them up to donate to charities.
Quote:
I wasn't exactly on vacation. I just got back from 4 days of peace and quiet at a conference. The conference was only 1 day. The other 3 days I shopped and made use of WiFi time. Now it's back to the real world. Might even break out the crochet hook tonight while I watch TV.

I figured out I've been dragging about this project is because I have to take it apart. I hate that part! LOL

Old 07-12-2010, 08:34 PM   #799
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryperri View Post
Here is a freebee purse crocheted from tee shirts....http://www.crochetmagazine.com/newsl...epartment_id=7
I have not seen this one before.
Oh, wow! Thanks for the link. I was so intrigued (and over-run with old shirts) that I made one of these last night. It's actually very simple, both the cutting of the shirts to make the yarn and the pattern itself. It probably took me about an hour to cut up six shirts into yarn, and maybe 2-3 hours to crochet the bag. Very fun project! Those worn out, too-big tie dye shirts look really cool in this.
Attached Thumbnails
t-shirts_for_yarn.jpg   t-shirt_yarn.jpg   t-shirt_yarn_bag.jpg  

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing it is stupid. - Albert Einstein
Old 07-13-2010, 04:17 AM   #800
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdjkssss View Post
Oh, wow! Thanks for the link. I was so intrigued (and over-run with old shirts) that I made one of these last night. It's actually very simple, both the cutting of the shirts to make the yarn and the pattern itself. It probably took me about an hour to cut up six shirts into yarn, and maybe 2-3 hours to crochet the bag. Very fun project! Those worn out, too-big tie dye shirts look really cool in this.
WOW! You did a fantastic job! And so quick! Lovely work!