Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree49Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2009, 11:31 AM   #41
Kookie Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by split-pea View Post

I haven't tried ravelry yet. Is it a forum? Another good place is Crochetville.

That is a cute little hat. Can't wait to see yours.
I have crochetville bookmarked. Raverly is an everything site. There are groups, forums and tons of patterns. You can also search for patterns by the brand and type of yarn used. There is a section for you to favorite patterns that you like and list your stash yarn. Kinda like an SCS for knitters and crocheters.

I have put the hat down for awhile. It's cute but I am distracted with another project .
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 11-07-2009, 11:36 AM   #42
Kookie Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdjkssss View Post
I love the look and feel of Homespun, but have decided that I hate crocheting with it. I took all of my stash of Homespun (and it was a lot) and gave it to my mother, who does mostly knitting. She loves it.

Oh no, I just bought a skein of homespun...it was on clearance. The bobbles do scare me a bit. I have a bulky white yarn that I have been using for the 'fur' part on a santa hat, thank goodness I only use it for the last round of the hat. It's so bulky and furry, I don't think I could find my stitches to do a second row! LOL
Old 11-07-2009, 01:16 PM   #43
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsabby518 View Post
Oh no, I just bought a skein of homespun...it was on clearance. The bobbles do scare me a bit. I have a bulky white yarn that I have been using for the 'fur' part on a santa hat, thank goodness I only use it for the last round of the hat. It's so bulky and furry, I don't think I could find my stitches to do a second row! LOL
Don't be afraid of it - you might love it. My personal preference is for interesting stitch patterns, which are just wasted with a nubby yarn like Homespun. And the nubby parts just catch on each other as the loops slide in crochet. I'm also a very fast crocheter, too, which could be part of the problem. I really get the loops moving when I'm working, and then the yarn gets all tangled, which causes me to say many bad words that I shouldn't say in front of my children. Plenty of people love to work with Homespun, so try it and see what you think!

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing it is stupid. - Albert Einstein
Old 11-08-2009, 02:37 AM   #44
Insane Embellisher

Send a message via Skype™ to dorothyjane

I am glad to find this thread. I have been crocheting for years. We have a group at church that does various things for different organizations in the area. I am currently knitting mittens for kids for them. I knit very little. Crochet mostly. I promised I would make granny square Christmas stockings for a friend who has twin grandbabies and I forgot until Friday so I am now busy making lots of squares.

I have crocheted since I was little. I had a grandmother and aunt who did it. My MIL also crochets,but she mostly likes to knit. I am somewhat of an instant gratification girl so knitting takes waaaaay to long for me.
Old 11-08-2009, 08:31 AM   #45
Matboard Maniac

Just thought I'd share while I'm doing my usual Sunday morning routine and scouring Sunday ads... Michaels, big yarn sale. Seems like they're having a big event today (at least in the Chgo area). Free demo and make-and-takes. This will not be good for my wallet.
Old 11-09-2009, 08:52 AM   #46
Matboard Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by good_day1214 View Post
http://www.lionbrand.com/patterns/90097AD.html

So I started on this pattern last night. Working in a round is hard for me already... I've had to frog it 3 times and I was only on round 2. LOL. And then working with Homespun yarn... WOW, those ripples were throwing me off. So after walking away before strangling someone with said yarn, I came back to it and finally did get the hang of it. My first time working with a bulky yarn and a big hook... it crochets up pretty quickly. One of the many planned XMas gifts I'm starting late....

OK ladies.... I'm needing some help. The pattern says to "Continue in pattern as established, increasing on every rnd" for rows 6-40. As of row 6, I'm following the pattern as outlined in rows 1-5. I am now on row 8 and it's turning into a ruffled afghan. It's not laying flat. Any idea what I'm doing wrong? I'm assuming I'm crocheting too many increases, but it said to follow the #*@!^$ pattern. UGH!!! Deep breathes.... deep breathes....

Maybe I'm not cut out to crochet. It's becoming too stressful for me...
Old 11-09-2009, 09:10 AM   #47
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:
OK ladies.... I'm needing some help. The pattern says to "Continue in pattern as established, increasing on every rnd" for rows 6-40. As of row 6, I'm following the pattern as outlined in rows 1-5. I am now on row 8 and it's turning into a ruffled afghan. It's not laying flat. Any idea what I'm doing wrong? I'm assuming I'm crocheting too many increases, but it said to follow the #*@!^$ pattern. UGH!!! Deep breathes.... deep breathes....

Maybe I'm not cut out to crochet. It's becoming too stressful for me...
here is the pattern:
Stratford Circle Afghan

Lion Brand® Homespun®

GAUGE:
Rnds 1 and 2 = 4 in. (10 cm) in diameter. BE SURE TO CHECK YOUR GAUGE. When you match the gauge in a pattern, your project will be the size specified in the pattern and the materials specified in the pattern will be sufficient. If it takes you fewer stitches and rows to make a 4 in. [10 cm] square, try using a smaller size hook or needles; if more stitches and rows, try a larger size hook or needles.
COLOR SEQUENCE
Work 5 rnds of each color: A, B, C, D, for a total of 40 rnds.
AFGHAN
With A, ch 4, sl st in beg ch to form a ring.
Rnd 1: Ch 3 (counts as first dc here and throughout), work 11 dc into ring, join with sl st in top of beg ch — 12 sts.
Rnd 2: Ch 3, dc in same st, 2 dc in each st around, join with sl st in top of beg ch — 24 sts.
Rnd 3: Ch 3, 2 dc in next st, * dc in next st, 2 dc in next st; rep from * around, join with sl st in top of beg ch — 36 sts.
Rnd 4: Ch 3, dc in next st, 2 dc in next st, * dc in next 2 sts, 2 dc in next st; rep from * around, join with sl st in top of beg ch — 48 sts.
Rnd 5: Ch 3, dc in next 2 sts, 2 dc in next st, * dc in next 3 sts, 2 dc in next st; rep from * around, join with sl st to top of beg ch — 60 sts.
Change to color B.
Rnds 6-40: Continue in pattern as established, increasing on every rnd and following color sequence. Fasten off.
EDGING
Join A with sl st anywhere along outside edge of Afghan. Work one rnd of sc evenly spaced around afghan. Join with sl st in first sc and fasten off. FINISHING
Weave in ends.

My guess is that you are doing too many increases in each round. From what I can tell, you just do it one time for each round, not for every stitch. Hope that makes sense??
www.icantbelieveimadethat.blogspot.com
Proud RAK Member
"Always do your best. What you plan now, you will harvest later." Og Mandino
Old 11-09-2009, 09:43 AM   #48
Rubber Obsessor

Love to crochet! Subbing
Old 11-09-2009, 09:57 AM   #49
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
here is the pattern:
Stratford Circle Afghan

Lion Brand® Homespun®

GAUGE:
Rnds 1 and 2 = 4 in. (10 cm) in diameter. BE SURE TO CHECK YOUR GAUGE. When you match the gauge in a pattern, your project will be the size specified in the pattern and the materials specified in the pattern will be sufficient. If it takes you fewer stitches and rows to make a 4 in. [10 cm] square, try using a smaller size hook or needles; if more stitches and rows, try a larger size hook or needles.
COLOR SEQUENCE
Work 5 rnds of each color: A, B, C, D, for a total of 40 rnds.
AFGHAN
With A, ch 4, sl st in beg ch to form a ring.
Rnd 1: Ch 3 (counts as first dc here and throughout), work 11 dc into ring, join with sl st in top of beg ch — 12 sts.
Rnd 2: Ch 3, dc in same st, 2 dc in each st around, join with sl st in top of beg ch — 24 sts.
Rnd 3: Ch 3, 2 dc in next st, * dc in next st, 2 dc in next st; rep from * around, join with sl st in top of beg ch — 36 sts.
Rnd 4: Ch 3, dc in next st, 2 dc in next st, * dc in next 2 sts, 2 dc in next st; rep from * around, join with sl st in top of beg ch — 48 sts.
Rnd 5: Ch 3, dc in next 2 sts, 2 dc in next st, * dc in next 3 sts, 2 dc in next st; rep from * around, join with sl st to top of beg ch — 60 sts.
Change to color B.
Rnds 6-40: Continue in pattern as established, increasing on every rnd and following color sequence. Fasten off.
EDGING
Join A with sl st anywhere along outside edge of Afghan. Work one rnd of sc evenly spaced around afghan. Join with sl st in first sc and fasten off. FINISHING
Weave in ends.

Check out the parts that I've highlighted in red above. Each row should have just 12 increases, right above the spots where you increased in the previous row. So in Round 6, you'll have 4 regular dc stitches in between each increase; in Round 7, you'll have 5, and so on. The "flat" part between increases widens in every round. And each round will have 12 more stitches than the previous round. Does that make sense?

ETA - for what it's worth, I've never been very happy with the quality of pattern-writing from Lion Brand. They frequently leave too much to the imagination.

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing it is stupid. - Albert Einstein
Old 11-09-2009, 10:51 AM   #50
Gabfest Goddess

Thanks Chris, if I would have read the instructions closer, I would have noticed that!! It always help to have another "set of eyes" look at the instructions!! I think the pattern writers forget that not everyone is an advanced crocheter (even though this pattern was marked EASY +).
www.icantbelieveimadethat.blogspot.com
Proud RAK Member
"Always do your best. What you plan now, you will harvest later." Og Mandino
Old 11-09-2009, 10:55 AM   #51
Gallery Gazer

Quote:
I love working with homespun. Definately give it a try & it might take a bit to get used to it so don't get to frustrated right away. Hope you find that you enjoy it.
Old 11-09-2009, 11:02 AM   #52
Gallery Gazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorothyjane View Post
I am glad to find this thread. I have been crocheting for years. We have a group at church that does various things for different organizations in the area. I am currently knitting mittens for kids for them. I knit very little. Crochet mostly. I promised I would make granny square Christmas stockings for a friend who has twin grandbabies and I forgot until Friday so I am now busy making lots of squares.

I have crocheted since I was little. I had a grandmother and aunt who did it. My MIL also crochets,but she mostly likes to knit. I am somewhat of an instant gratification girl so knitting takes waaaaay to long for me.
Welcome. I haven't tried mittens yet. Making the thumb part scares me. LOL Maybe I should give them a whirl. I'd love to see pics of the stockings. They sound so cool.

I want to learn to knit, but it dosen't come easy to me. I love that I can crochet something quick. Guess I'm an instant gratification girl too. LOL
Old 11-09-2009, 11:05 AM   #53
Gallery Gazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryperri View Post
Love to crochet! Subbing
Welcome Mary. Hope you come and chat often. So what are you working on? (nosy aren't I)
Old 11-09-2009, 11:09 AM   #54
Gallery Gazer

Quote:
Check out the parts that I've highlighted in red above. Each row should have just 12 increases, right above the spots where you increased in the previous row. So in Round 6, you'll have 4 regular dc stitches in between each increase; in Round 7, you'll have 5, and so on. The "flat" part between increases widens in every round. And each round will have 12 more stitches than the previous round. Does that make sense?

ETA - for what it's worth, I've never been very happy with the quality of pattern-writing from Lion Brand. They frequently leave too much to the imagination.
Yep Chris got it. They did scimp on the info a bit, especially for an easy pattern.
Old 11-09-2009, 11:39 AM   #55
Matboard Maniac

Quote:
So in Round 6, you'll have 4 regular dc stitches in between each increase;

And there's my downfall... I followed row 2 of the pattern and hooked 2dc in each stitch. UGH!
Old 11-09-2009, 11:39 AM   #56
Matboard Maniac

You ladies ROCK! I'll go at it again sometime after dinner and before my fav tv show Castle comes on. I'm still not skillful enough to be multi-tasking crocheter yet! =)

I also tried the yarn over technique when I finished off row 5 to add a new color. So much better than going back to weave in all those ends... What a time saver!!
Old 11-09-2009, 01:12 PM   #57
Gallery Gazer

Quote:
You ladies ROCK! I'll go at it again sometime after dinner and before my fav tv show Castle comes on. I'm still not skillful enough to be multi-tasking crocheter yet! =) That's what commercials are for.

I also tried the yarn over technique when I finished off row 5 to add a new color. So much better than going back to weave in all those ends... What a time saver!! It's so much quicker.
Let us know how it goes.
Old 11-09-2009, 01:19 PM   #58
Gallery Gazer

I'm so thrilled with the response to this thread. It's fun to come on here & see it near the top everyday.

I'm working on a zigzag scarf right now. I'll probably be posting the pattern & pics in the next few days.
Old 11-09-2009, 03:37 PM   #59
Kookie Creator

I think once the holiday season is over, that I am going to experiment with the homespun yarn. I'll let you know how I do. I have a mustard-brown color and think the little bear hat might look cute in it, kinda like a winnie the pooh hat.

I am working on a granny stitch hat to go with my daughter's holiday outfit. http://www.luv2crochet.com/skullcappattern.html

Last edited by redsabby518; 11-09-2009 at 03:44 PM..
Old 11-09-2009, 03:40 PM   #60
Stampin' Fool

Quote:
http://www.lionbrand.com/patterns/90097AD.html

So I started on this pattern last night. Working in a round is hard for me already... I've had to frog it 3 times and I was only on round 2. LOL. And then working with Homespun yarn... WOW, those ripples were throwing me off. So after walking away before strangling someone with said yarn, I came back to it and finally did get the hang of it. My first time working with a bulky yarn and a big hook... it crochets up pretty quickly. One of the many planned XMas gifts I'm starting late....
I have some Homespun - and a big round chair I wanted a round blanket for. You've just solved my dilemma. Now if I can only handle working with the homespun for that long.....

(the bunnies I posted on page one are also from lionbrand.com - Pattern Number: 81029AD)

Last edited by frosted_gorilla; 11-09-2009 at 03:49 PM.. Reason: add bunny pattern #
Old 11-09-2009, 03:47 PM   #61
Stampin' Fool

I am mostly self-taught, but wish I'd had the patience years ago to learn when my grandmother tried to teach me. She could knit or crochet in the dark while holding a conversation. Gram learned both crafts at a very young at her mother's knee, and didn't stop until she was 95 - and she felt bad that she couldn't continue. My grandfather could knit too, used to fix his own socks out at lumber camp. It's one of the reason I learned to crochet, and why I want to learn how to knit.
Old 11-09-2009, 03:51 PM   #62
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftymomto2 View Post
Oh, could you share your pattern? Your hat is too cute! TFS!
I can't share the pattern at the request of the person who made it, but I can post where I got it!!

http://theyarnchick.etsy.com : It's the ladies breezy brimmed beanie.
Old 11-09-2009, 03:54 PM   #63
Stazon Splitcoast

I also love Homespun!! It's so soft!

Here's one that I made out of it: http://picasaweb.google.com/JDTWhite...74596218110738

I can't remember what this stuff is called, but it's a lot of fun too. It's got the whimsical look but has a chunky base so it's not hard to find your loops. It IS however, hard to undo if you need to unravel to fix a mistake!

http://picasaweb.google.com/JDTWhite...74632330084498
Old 11-10-2009, 07:33 AM   #64
Matboard Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by frosted_gorilla View Post
I have some Homespun - and a big round chair I wanted a round blanket for. You've just solved my dilemma. Now if I can only handle working with the homespun for that long.....

LOL... I'm getting used to working with it. At first, I was thinking 60 ROWS! Wowsers it'll take me forever. But it's coming along at a good pace for me and I'm a slow crocheter. And I'm lovin' the feel of it.... Good luck with it!

Quote:
(the bunnies I posted on page one are also from lionbrand.com - Pattern Number: 81029AD)
I've got so many patterns that I've printed off the site that I've still yet to get to....
Old 11-10-2009, 09:37 AM   #65
Gallery Gazer

Quote:
I think once the holiday season is over, that I am going to experiment with the homespun yarn. I'll let you know how I do. I have a mustard-brown color and think the little bear hat might look cute in it, kinda like a winnie the pooh hat. Sounds adorable.

I am working on a granny stitch hat to go with my daughter's holiday outfit. http://www.luv2crochet.com/skullcappattern.html This is to cute.
Old 11-10-2009, 09:39 AM   #66
Gallery Gazer

Quote:
I am mostly self-taught, but wish I'd had the patience years ago to learn when my grandmother tried to teach me. She could knit or crochet in the dark while holding a conversation. Gram learned both crafts at a very young at her mother's knee, and didn't stop until she was 95 - and she felt bad that she couldn't continue. My grandfather could knit too, used to fix his own socks out at lumber camp. It's one of the reason I learned to crochet, and why I want to learn how to knit.
My great grandma was like this, and she quilted too. Really amazing stuff.
Old 11-10-2009, 09:45 AM   #67
Gallery Gazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by StampUK View Post
I can't share the pattern at the request of the person who made it, but I can post where I got it!!

http://theyarnchick.etsy.com : It's the ladies breezy brimmed beanie.
She has lots of cute hat patterns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StampUK View Post
I also love Homespun!! It's so soft!

Here's one that I made out of it: http://picasaweb.google.com/JDTWhite...74596218110738

I can't remember what this stuff is called, but it's a lot of fun too. It's got the whimsical look but has a chunky base so it's not hard to find your loops. It IS however, hard to undo if you need to unravel to fix a mistake!

http://picasaweb.google.com/JDTWhite...74632330084498
Great hats. That second one is so cute.
Old 11-10-2009, 10:24 AM   #68
Gallery Gazer

I finished the zigzag scarf & I'm starting a hat today. I'm hoping to come up with a pattern to match the scarf.
Old 11-10-2009, 01:11 PM   #69
Matboard Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by split-pea View Post
I finished the zigzag scarf & I'm starting a hat today. I'm hoping to come up with a pattern to match the scarf.
You are just cranking that stuff out. Way to go Shelley!
Old 11-10-2009, 02:38 PM   #70
Gallery Gazer

Quote:
You are just cranking that stuff out. Way to go Shelley!
Thanks. I've got a lot of nieces & nephews to make christmas presents for. So I've got a bunch more to do.
Old 11-10-2009, 07:04 PM   #71
Gallery Gazer

Got a hat done. Now to figure out the zigzag one.
Old 11-11-2009, 06:44 AM   #72
Kookie Creator

OOoohhh, my friend just had her baby girl! I love making little newborn hats, I think I'll make a little pink santa hat for her, or maybe a cloche with a big flower.
Old 11-11-2009, 10:39 AM   #73
Gallery Gazer

Quote:
OOoohhh, my friend just had her baby girl! I love making little newborn hats, I think I'll make a little pink santa hat for her, or maybe a cloche with a big flower.
Yay! That's exciting. A little pink santa hat would be so cute.
Old 11-11-2009, 06:00 PM   #74
Matboard Maniac

Send a message via MSN to Twocatsonepup

I love hats made with homespun, they are so warm.

I went to Walmart and got some yarn to make some more hats for charity. Most likely will take them to a homeless shelter or a battered women's shelter.
Old 11-12-2009, 11:10 AM   #75
Gallery Gazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twocatsonepup View Post
I love hats made with homespun, they are so warm.

I went to Walmart and got some yarn to make some more hats for charity. Most likely will take them to a homeless shelter or a battered women's shelter.
I need to try hats with homespun. I've only done afghans, but I love the feel of them.
Old 11-12-2009, 11:12 AM   #76
Gallery Gazer

I got the zigzag hat done. I hope to have the pattern up in a few days.

Now to get some dishcloth/potholder/hanging towel sets done.
Old 11-12-2009, 01:22 PM   #77
Pearl-ExPert

I just have to sub here because I sooo love yarn! My grandmother taught me to knit and crochet at a young age, but it was the crochet that stuck. I've been trying to spend more time practicing the knitting, but the heart says 'crochet'. Of course, since being on SCS I've spent more time with ink and glue, but I've always got my project bag close by... Something therapeutic about that yarn. Just finishing up a beautiful bath collection from lionbrand.com as a gift.
Old 11-12-2009, 01:26 PM   #78
Polyshrink Goddess

Hi ladies,

I've been looking around South Florida/Palm Beach County for crocheting lessons, and can't find anything. Anyone have any ideas?

Guess I should have paid more attention when my mom tried to teach me when I was younger, but cross stitching was more fun at the time.
Old 11-12-2009, 03:58 PM   #79
Stampin' Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuntKimi View Post
Hi ladies,

I've been looking around South Florida/Palm Beach County for crocheting lessons, and can't find anything. Anyone have any ideas?
Some chain craft stores, like Michaels, Joanns or Hobby Lobby offer classes for crochet. Sometimes local yarn stores have lessons or classes too. Maybe someone at a local senior center knows how and would be willing to show you. I've got a neighbor who knits, and I think she'd show me how for pretty skien of yarn or two!
Old 11-13-2009, 05:09 AM   #80
Gallery Gazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christina612 View Post
Just finishing up a beautiful bath collection from lionbrand.com as a gift.
can you post a link and pictures of your creations?
and smarter than you think.
~Christopher Robin~