Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree44Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2010, 05:03 AM   #721
Pearl-ExPert

Hi, Patter... Love to hear about those girls learning to drive. I have a few years yet before worrying about that, lol. DS is 9. This is my second on the way. I wish I had a childbirth ed. here! We worked with a midwife for our first and the education was wonderful. In what setting do you work - hospital? I've forgotten a lot in 9 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by identicaltriplets View Post
Kelly, yes, my girls are driving my SUV but I am letting my sister have it in a week or two when my new car comes in. I am nervous about the kids driving the new car. One dd is really having trouble steering! She thinks about it too hard and then gets upset. Poor thing!

And Christina, thanks for your sweet words about my blog. You are too kind! And how fun a baby on the way. I teach childbirth, and it is SO fun to be with the families! Is this your first?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 05-30-2010, 05:55 AM   #722
Swapper of the Month March 2012

ALMOST THERE, CHRISTINA!! WOOHOO!!
Congrats in advance as I'm sure you won't be logged in for a little while enjoying the new baby and spending family time with her arrival!

I'm Stampin' Good Deeds, Are You?
Old 05-30-2010, 06:32 AM   #723
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christina612 View Post
Hi, Patter... Love to hear about those girls learning to drive. I have a few years yet before worrying about that, lol. DS is 9. This is my second on the way. I wish I had a childbirth ed. here! We worked with a midwife for our first and the education was wonderful. In what setting do you work - hospital? I've forgotten a lot in 9 years.
How fun! I bet your 9 year old is VERY excited! I teach in a hospital. I teach a "blend" childbirth class, refresher childbirth, c-section classes, infant massage, private classes, etc. It is such a blessing! Feel free to PM questions if you have any! I actually looked into midwife training but right now I just don't have time. My cousin in a Bradley instructor and she is now becoming a midwife. She is about 3 years older than me so figure even at 45 (in a week), I am not too old to go back to school! LOL!
Old 05-31-2010, 12:14 PM   #724
Stazon Splitcoast

You're never too old to go back to school if it's in your heart to do
Old 06-01-2010, 04:19 AM   #725

Oh definitely. I went back several times. haha...
Actually I started college after high school, then married and had kids. Went back when the kids were in elementary and started some classes, then just kept taking classes over time. I finished my Associates when my kids were in Jr. High/High School. Then finished the Bachelors after that. Took a few years off, then went for my Masters. Then a few years off, and went for a PhD, started it last year and was doing well, but then decided to withdraw from the program after all... I just have to work on my health instead, and it wasn't what I thought it would be after all either, and realized that I didn't need it actually as I thought I would, at this point in life. It was great though to know I was accepted into the program and did well, was getting all A's.... so I know I can do it.

Old 06-01-2010, 04:19 AM   #726

Hi All! Praying for Christina and her family as they await the arrival of their new little Katie Bug today!

Old 06-01-2010, 04:27 AM   #727
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by StampinGoodDeeds View Post
Hi All! Praying for Christina and her family as they await the arrival of their new little Katie Bug today!
Oh, I know! She has been on my mind quite a lot this morning. I was going to PM her but wasn't sure if she would check in before she heads out for the big day! Prayers and blessings to her sweet family!
Old 06-01-2010, 04:29 AM   #728
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:
Oh definitely. I went back several times. haha...
Actually I started college after high school, then married and had kids. Went back when the kids were in elementary and started some classes, then just kept taking classes over time. I finished my Associates when my kids were in Jr. High/High School. Then finished the Bachelors after that. Took a few years off, then went for my Masters. Then a few years off, and went for a PhD, started it last year and was doing well, but then decided to withdraw from the program after all... I just have to work on my health instead, and it wasn't what I thought it would be after all either, and realized that I didn't need it actually as I thought I would, at this point in life. It was great though to know I was accepted into the program and did well, was getting all A's.... so I know I can do it.
How fun! What did you get your degrees in? My hubby was accepted to the PhD program but it was SO political so he decided to just move on with his Master's. I have a degree in office management. That's what I changed my degree too from nursing. How sad I was! Ugh! I don't think the time is right yet but you never know where the Lord will lead me.
Old 06-01-2010, 05:29 AM   #729
Pearl-ExPert

Hey, ladies... I'm still here. You know I've got to check in with you before I head out, lol!

Actually, I don't have to be at the hospital until 1:30 so I have some time to relax. I'm all packed and ready, (I think), so I probably will sit still and crochet for a bit.

Susan and Patter, thank you for the prayers and kind thoughts! It's awesome to have your support. DH is going to try to let you know when Cate McCall has arrived.

Hope you ALL have a GREAT week and thanks again for thinking of us!
Old 06-01-2010, 06:14 AM   #730
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Hey, ladies... I'm still here. You know I've got to check in with you before I head out, lol!

Actually, I don't have to be at the hospital until 1:30 so I have some time to relax. I'm all packed and ready, (I think), so I probably will sit still and crochet for a bit.

Susan and Patter, thank you for the prayers and kind thoughts! It's awesome to have your support. DH is going to try to let you know when Cate McCall has arrived.

Hope you ALL have a GREAT week and thanks again for thinking of us!
Sending lots of blessings everything goes well today, Christina. I'll be thinking of your whole family as you wait for Cate's arrival.
Old 06-02-2010, 12:19 PM   #731

Absolutely! I agree with what he felt!
My degree is in adult education and training. I was going for the PhD because I felt I needed it to become a professor and teach distance learning, which I wanted to do. But after a semester in the program, when the second semester started, it was very political and administration focused, not on the teaching. And I had a very difficult year physically and medically and it has caught up to me, so I felt I had to make some decisions -- wear myself out financially and mentally and physically working on a PhD which didn't appear to be headed in the focus I wanted.... or stop that and focus on my health and find a way to make the Masters work for it. Went with the latter.
Not to just get my weight down and health on track.
Quote:
How fun! What did you get your degrees in? My hubby was accepted to the PhD program but it was SO political so he decided to just move on with his Master's. I have a degree in office management. That's what I changed my degree too from nursing. How sad I was! Ugh! I don't think the time is right yet but you never know where the Lord will lead me.

Old 06-02-2010, 12:20 PM   #732

For some reason I thought Christina had posted here earlier, but I don't see it now. She did send me a message about Cate's arrival!
"Just wanted to let you know that Cate McCall arrived at 4:24 yesterday afternoon. She weighed 9 pounds, 15 ounces. 22 1/4 inches long. Whew. I'll upload a pic when I get home. We didn't sleep at all last night, so while Cate is sleeping I thought I'd post real quick and take myself a nap. "

Old 06-03-2010, 05:38 AM   #733

Good morning, fellow hookers
I need to get my crochet bag out again. It fell behind the loveseat and I just haven't pulled it back out. I have a big plastic bin back there where I store my yarn stash, and a couple of tote bags with projects, and a soft-sided portfolio bag that I keep all my patterns and needles etc. in .

How do you store yours?

Old 06-05-2010, 12:44 PM   #734
Stazon Splitcoast

My projects (WIPS) are stored in various canvas totes. I also have one large rubbermaid tote for storing the finished hat/scarf sets for the local mitten tree.

Yarn is stored in large zip bags according to color or potential project collectively in another tub.
Old 06-06-2010, 04:15 PM   #735
Gallery Gazer

Quote:
Goodness - you do have a lot going on! I hope it all goes well for you! Seems everyone is having such a busy spring. Keep us posted.
Trailor is down. Loan is gotten. And we're moving on to our own summer projects.
Old 06-06-2010, 04:16 PM   #736
Gallery Gazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgalley View Post
Thanks, ladies! It IS exciting to be crocheting for a girl again. I got out the blanket I crocheted for my daughter when she was a baby. It was so cute...flowers, rosebuds, etc. I planned to take it to her when we go to Dallas this weekend. She called last night and asked about it (spoiling the surprise). I had her first professional photo taken with her in her little rosebud "coming home" outfit and this blanket. She wants me to get out the outfit and bring her the blanket so that she can have her little girl's picture taken just like hers was. That will be SO cute! I also have a picture of her in a stocking at Christmas, with my husband holding her. She wants to duplicate that picture as well. Maybe I'll have some fun pictures to show you all this fall!
Awwww so sweet.
Old 06-06-2010, 04:19 PM   #737
Gallery Gazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sma499 View Post
Hi ladies, I'm going to just jump in here - hope that's OK

I learned how to crochet just after Christmas. The only thing I have made so far are dishcloths (I already have a pretty good stash of cotton yarn to make the dishcloths), but I'm planning on tackling something bigger as soon as I can find a fairly easy pattern.

My mom and one of my sisters crochet, and my grandma did too for most of her life, up until just a few years before she passed way.
Hello and welcome. It's so nice when we can share a hobby with family & friends.
Old 06-06-2010, 04:22 PM   #738
Gallery Gazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsabby518 View Post
Cool idea.
Old 06-06-2010, 04:28 PM   #739
Gallery Gazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftymomto2 View Post
This member was kind enough to share her directions for crochet daisies on this thread:
My crocheted daisies
Thanks for the link.
Old 06-06-2010, 04:31 PM   #740
Gallery Gazer

Quote:
Kelly, You're right - it seems so many have had worse allergies/colds this spring. I can tell you tho that 8 months pregnant and a cold is not a good combination, lol.

Hope all is well with everyone!
Hope you are feeling better.
Old 06-06-2010, 04:34 PM   #741
Gallery Gazer

Quote:
Hi Christina -- Hope you are feeling better with the rain we've gotten. The sun is trying to come back out here and I am shoo-ing it away! I have a "hot-pot" going with boiling water to keep steam and humidity, it seems to be helping with mine. Maybe that will help with yours too? Take care of yourselves.

As for my crochet... well... I made one little birdie sachet but I don't care for the pattern much after all. First, it came out much bigger than I thought... about 6" around and I even used the bamboo yarn and a smaller hook. The beak and wing seem odd looking to me also. Guess I need another pattern.
The afghan I have been working on has been neglected for a while now... I think I need a few more days of rain, a few days off from work, and some good movies to get it done. Its a purple one for me, so not on a schedule.
I do need to crochet some more prayer shawls though. I gave away the last one I had 'stocked' and I always like to have 1-2 ready to go when the need arises.

I have to share that I bought the lighted crochet hook and love having it for when we have family movie night as I can still see just enough with it to crochet even with the lights off.
Hope you are feeling better too. I've seen those hooks & wasn't sure how nessesary they would be. I didn't think about movie nights.
Old 06-06-2010, 04:35 PM   #742
Gallery Gazer

Quote:
This is the coolest crocheted bag I have ever seen! It's made with jersey or a cut up tshirt as yarn.
http://www.craftpassion.com/2010/04/...th-lining.html
Very cool. Thanks for the link.
Old 06-06-2010, 04:43 PM   #743
Gallery Gazer

Quote:
I think it's too advanced for me. I have no idea what a loop stitch is. I have a bunch of projects going on right now, but if I get crazy enough to cut up my jersey sheets and try it, I'll post pics.
Here's a tutorial for the loop stitch if you ever want to try it. http://www.crochetme.com/forums/t/28870.aspx
Old 06-06-2010, 04:46 PM   #744
Gallery Gazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrappinCEO View Post
Yes, it's a Rotary cutter machine by Simplicity. It will cut continuous strips up to 2.75" wide in either a straight or deckle edge. It retails for approx. $80 You can see it here...

http://www.simplicity.com/p-2903-sim...g-machine.aspx
Cool tool. I probably don't need one, but it'd be fun.
Old 06-06-2010, 04:51 PM   #745
Gallery Gazer

Quote:
Hi All - Just catching up. Had a busy weekend in the garden, had to rebuild two raised beds from one too large one, rework all the soil in 3 raised beds, and plant those as well as 13 container garden pots. I'm glad that we are scheduled for light rains all week... hoping it helps everything get a good start and keeps away birds from my seeds.

LOVE the bag pattern -- thanks for the link, will have to put that in the pile of "try one day" items.

Interesting items out there, like the strip cutter. There is also that Go cutter that I saw at the quilt show, and it also can be used for strips. But I think I can cut strips just as quickly if not faster with a rotary cutter and mat. The Go Cutter was great for applique pieces if you did a lot of that I guess. I'm going to try using the die cuts and cricut with fabric for that effect too.
Wow you've been busy. I'm so far behind on my gardening.
Old 06-06-2010, 04:54 PM   #746
Gallery Gazer

Quote:
I want to learn to knit so I can make something like this...
http://www.lionbrand.com/patterns/90...tml?noImages=0

I bought the full size afghan pattern, just don't knit! Tried to talk my DD into making it for me but no such luck yet...
That is so pretty.
Old 06-06-2010, 04:57 PM   #747
Gallery Gazer

Quote:
Ooooooooooh, while looking at that I just found that they have converted it to crochet also! I may just have a new project!
http://www.lionbrand.com/patterns/90...tml?noImages=0
Even better since I can't knit either. LOL
Old 06-06-2010, 05:04 PM   #748
Gallery Gazer

Quote:
to cute.
Old 06-06-2010, 05:05 PM   #749
Gallery Gazer

Quote:
Just browsing around at patterns... this one just made me laugh. I'm sure someone out there would wear these... I just don't know who... okay, actually, one of my twins would love them but I am not showing her them or making them for her...
http://www.lionbrand.com/patterns/90...html?noImages=
heehee
Old 06-06-2010, 05:10 PM   #750
Gallery Gazer

Quote:
I supposed we could start a crochet group called the happy hookers...

I definitely want to do that Tree of Life crochet version now, just have to buy the yarn. Its too hard to find that much of a yarn here usually so I'll likely have ot order it from LBY. I was thinking it would be a great Fall project... I love to crochet afghans or shawls in the Fall/Winter because it keeps my lap warm too as I make them!

So many hobbies... so little time.

I try to keep the crochet projects in the living/family room so that I pull them out to work on while watching tv or sitting in there, whereas the craft room is upstairs in the master bedroom and I work on the paper crafts/SCS swaps and sewing/embroidery/quilting up there.

Just 1.5 months away from finding out if I get a promotion/raise this year... praying on it. If so, then it will be time to decide what we are doing about the house... remodeling or looking to sell/buy... or moving... I just want a craft room.
I love my craftroom. It's a private little me space. Hoping you get the promotion.
Old 06-06-2010, 05:11 PM   #751
Gallery Gazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrappinCEO View Post
When I was 9, my stepmom got me one of those brookstick size knitting needle sets and I learned to knit a scarf. I loved doing it but haven't knitted since. I'd love to refresh my memory on how just to do scarves, hats and afghan squares.
I've thought about trying a scarf or something with those big needles.
Old 06-06-2010, 05:15 PM   #752
Gallery Gazer

Quote:
And somehow I didn't even see my yarn yesterday. Cleaned up my craft area and packed a very few small things that I don't think I'll be needing. But I might feel good after baby and I'll be here for a whole month... is that procrastination or just plain selfish?
Neither. You'll need all the you time you can sqeeze in after baby comes.
Old 06-06-2010, 05:23 PM   #753
Gallery Gazer

Quote:
Hey everyone! I just found this thread! I have been crocheting again because I waste so much time at night when I am too tired to paper craft but just sit and watch TV. So, I have decided to crochet while sitting in front of the TV instead of wasting time. Yeah! These are lap blankets for each of my girls for our summer trip. They each picked their colors, and here are the three blankets in progress. The yarn is my FAVORITE from Hobby Lobby! I work on "the leader of the day's" blanket so they all get worked on evenly! Sorry the colors look bad in these photos. The paint color in our media room puts a funny hue on my photos! Eeek!

Attachment 186147 Attachment 186148
Hi Patter & welcome. Those lapghans are just lovely. Could I get the pattern?
Old 06-06-2010, 05:32 PM   #754
Gallery Gazer

Quote:
For some reason I thought Christina had posted here earlier, but I don't see it now. She did send me a message about Cate's arrival!
"Just wanted to let you know that Cate McCall arrived at 4:24 yesterday afternoon. She weighed 9 pounds, 15 ounces. 22 1/4 inches long. Whew. I'll upload a pic when I get home. We didn't sleep at all last night, so while Cate is sleeping I thought I'd post real quick and take myself a nap. "
Yay! Congrats Christina!
Old 06-06-2010, 05:35 PM   #755
Gallery Gazer

Quote:
I need to get my crochet bag out again. It fell behind the loveseat and I just haven't pulled it back out. I have a big plastic bin back there where I store my yarn stash, and a couple of tote bags with projects, and a soft-sided portfolio bag that I keep all my patterns and needles etc. in .

How do you store yours?
My projects are storred in individual canvas totes. The leftover yarn is stored in plastic totes. Then all of it is stored in the spare bedroom closet. I need to organize enough to get it all into my craftroom.
Old 06-06-2010, 05:38 PM   #756
Gallery Gazer

Whew...I think I'm all caught up. LOL Sorry I haven't been around lately. I'm not on the 'puter as much in the summer. I'll try to check in, but it will be sporatic till the fall.
Old 06-07-2010, 07:19 AM   #757

Good morning all! Just checking in.

My annual review went very well so I know I'll get a raise and promotion, just not sure to what level until it happens next month!

Old 06-08-2010, 02:09 AM   #758
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:
Absolutely! I agree with what he felt!
My degree is in adult education and training. I was going for the PhD because I felt I needed it to become a professor and teach distance learning, which I wanted to do. But after a semester in the program, when the second semester started, it was very political and administration focused, not on the teaching.
Wow, Susan, that really is sad isn't it. I am glad dh realized that and stepped out of moving forward in the PhD program. He is doing what he loves and doing very well so that's what counts. I think someday when he retires he would like to reach at a community college. I think he said he can do that with his Master's.

Hey, and HUGE congrats on the raise and promotion! What a great way to start the week!

Quote:
Originally Posted by split-pea
Hi Patter & welcome. Those lapghans are just lovely. Could I get the pattern?
Thanks for the sweet welcome! The pattern is in this Prayer Shawl pattern book. I made them slightly larger than what the pattern says.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StampinGoodDeeds

How do you store yours?
I keep my hooks in this readers case I got on sale at Vera Bradley (less than $5 with coupon). Love keeping my hooks in this! My current projects(s) go in a single Vera Bradley bag though it need a bigger back when working on these 3 blankets at the same time! LOL! My yarn I store Rubbermaid bins kept in a wall unit with doors that we have. Works great for now as long as I don't try to hang on to too much yarn at a time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StampinGoodDeeds
Yeah, yeah, yeah!!!! Super huge congrats, and SO exciting! I can't wait to see photos!!!!!
Old 06-08-2010, 07:05 AM   #759
Stazon Splitcoast

Hey Shelley... good to see you! Yeah, summer is a busy time. We're down to the final three weeks with the grandbaby and squeezing every minute in we can. Between spending time outside and doing the gardening, I'm not on here much either for now. We added 2 ducklings to our pond last week so I now have 2 more animals needing care in the morning and evening. LOL
Old 06-09-2010, 07:38 AM   #760

Hi Patter --
I have that same prayer shawl book and love it. I need to get their newest one that came out last year too.

Thanks on the tips and congrats.

I use an old pencil case that I got from my grandparents in Japan years (30+) ago to hold my crochet hooks. It is a zip up embroidered Tapestry one with an Ainu girl on it. Its a sentimental thing for me as well as practical. Of course, it only holds the ones I use the most, as I think I must have at least 3 dozen 'extras' that I picked up over time. Never fails I go on a trip and not take my crochet, then get bored or find something I want to try and pick up new stuff.