Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree44Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2010, 08:11 AM   #521
Die Cut Diva

Send a message via Skype™ to mrs_hawkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christina612 View Post
So cute! Where did you find the pattern? Is the little one due in May yours? I am due in June.
Thanks. Yes, my first little one is due in May. I found the pattern online. http://www.scribd.com/doc/13785952/Crocheted-Apple-Hat
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 03-05-2010, 02:35 PM   #522
Pearl-ExPert

Thanks for sharing, Heather.
Old 03-07-2010, 06:44 PM   #523
Gallery Gazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anemone View Post
I've been slow on the crochet lately. Not much getting done. I have made a bunch of little flowers for use on cards, just waiting to be able to get back into the stamping room (work being done on the house) so I can actually use them on a card!
Don't you love being able to mix your hobbies. Hope your room gets done soon.
Old 03-07-2010, 06:49 PM   #524
Gallery Gazer

Quote:
I now have 3 different projects going again. I'm working on knitting a baby blanket which is a real challenge for me:

http://www.lionbrand.com/patterns/80...html?noImages=

so when I couldn't sleep and got up at 2:30 this morning I started crocheting one.
Pretty blanket.

I have 2 afghans in progress, 2 more that need trimmed, & I just started a Lucy bag the other day. http://attic24.typepad.com/weblog/crochet-bag.html I need to finish up some of these UFO's.
Old 03-07-2010, 07:02 PM   #525
Gallery Gazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrappinCEO View Post
Hi Ladies
I'm Kelly. Shelley told me I could hang with you guys. Thanks, Shelley. I hope you're doing better both physically and emotionally.

I love anything having to do with color. Quilting, stamping, crochet, clay... you name it, it's in my craft space somewhere

Right now I'm working on clearing out my yarn stash. Someone else mentioned they crochet for a local organization in need. I do the same. I make hat/scarf sets and then buy gloves to go with them. Our bank has a 'Mitten Tree' every Nov. to collect warm winter wearables for the local grade school. You find everything from handmade to store bought items. Even socks!

My husband is a river boat captain and gone 3 weeks and home 3 weeks. Most of my crocheting is done when he is home. In the evenings we watch tv and I crochet.
Welcome Kelly. I'm a multi crafter too. Glad to have you on board.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdawn View Post
Hi all!! I'm a crocheter too! Right now I'm working on an afghan for DH. It's called a Lumberjack Flannel Afghan and I got the pattern at Crochetville. I'm doing it in blue heather and oatmeal. I'm on the 4th of 5 strips so hope to finish it up with the next few weeks.

After that there are a few purse patterns I want to try. I'll be travelling by train in a few weeks so a purse would be a great take along project.
Welcome Dawn. I love that afghan. I want to try one soon. I'm on Crochetville a lot too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayInFL View Post
So happy to have found this thread! Like a lot of you, I learned to crochet from a great aunt when I was much younger and kind of forgot about it for a long time (how long? When I started again, my husband of 20 years said "I didn't know you could do that" Yikes!) Then, seeing all the cute crocheted flowers that have sprouted on cards recently, I was prompted to go get some new supplies and now I am hooked (pun intended)
There are so many cute (free!) patterns out there and having read through all 13 pages of this thread, I've found more sites and blogs and more projects!
Thanks so much for sharing. Looking forward to chatting and getting to know all of you better
Oh, and I joined Raverly.com - I'm CrochetKay - what a great site!
Welcome Kay. The flowers are what hooked me back in too. I'll look you up on Ravelry.

I'm so glad to see lots of new faces on this thread.
Old 03-07-2010, 07:04 PM   #526
Gallery Gazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsabby518 View Post
http://krstl.tripod.com/id26.htm

I am going to attempt this pattern for a sweater to put over my daughter's Easter dress. Easter comes early and with the amount of snow outside right now, I doubt it will be all gone by then!
To cute. How's it going?
Old 03-07-2010, 07:10 PM   #527
Gallery Gazer

Quote:
My daughter is currently living in Nasville (I'm in MO) getting settled in a new job while we keep the toddler granddaughter. Our daughter came in last night to take the toddler for a week. House is going to be child-free for the first time in a year. So many projects to complete - including the Jan. Hat/scarf and getting the Feb. one done would be awesome.
Somewhere in between getting garden stuff prepped outside, S2S challenges caught up (I post them LOL) and reclaiming my office/stamping space.
I hope your "you week" went well.
Old 03-07-2010, 07:11 PM   #528
Gallery Gazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by galet1 View Post
Hi, everyone!!!
I attended a Crochet 101 class at JoAnn's a couple of weeks ago and am sooo glad I did! I think I've finally got it! lol!

I do have a question I'm hoping someone can answer...I was looking at crochet books and saw one of crochet edgings....when you're crocheting something like that, do you crochet an individual edge and then sew it on your fabric, or do you actually crochet it directly to the project??

Also, I've been wanting to do some of the dish towels with crochet tops...does anyone have directions or suggestions on those? I'm sure they're pretty basic/easy, but I'm still learning! lol

Ya'll have a great day!!!
I'm so glad your class went well.
Old 03-07-2010, 07:11 PM   #529
Mad Swapper

I have mastered the correct tension in the Sk8r beanies and my DH and son each have one. I also made a couple of baby hats and and a bag to hold my wool. Now I've started on an easy ripple afghan. As soon as I get a new camera (dropped mine and now it only makes whirring noises) I will share some pictures.

Shelly, I find Ravelry a little overwhelming but I'm on there almost every day now. I'll get it figured out eventually
Old 03-07-2010, 07:12 PM   #530
Gallery Gazer

Quote:
Ok, not to completely bore you all, but I was uploading a couple pics for my gallery and thought I'd put this one up here for you. I spent last weekend fighting a cold and this is what I did during all the down time.
This is very pretty. Love the colors.
Old 03-07-2010, 07:14 PM   #531
Gallery Gazer

Quote:
That is a great bag! After "the beanie that was too big" I made a crochet basket to hold yarn so I can keep what I am working on separate from the ever growing stash.

And I found a local(ish) yarn store that isn't a chain and stopped by to check out and discovered they have a group that meets on Wednesdays and Friday's so I think I'll go check that out too.

My son put in an order for a beanie so I get the chance to see if I have improved yet
That's so cool that you found a group. Good luck on the beanie.
Old 03-07-2010, 07:20 PM   #532
Gallery Gazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs_hawkins View Post
I crochet!!! My mom taught me during winter break my freshman year of college. I only made a few blankets and scarves after I learned and then stopped for a while. After college I took a knitting class with a friend and made two scarves. Recently I tried to pick knitting back up and got frustrated (tried to knit in the round) so went back to crocheting. I've made two hats for the little one that will be here in May and now I'm working on a stacking toy. It's taking a long time and my hand was getting sore so I had to take a break. I forgot how much I liked to crochet and now that I've started back up I hope to continue with it (might be tough with a newborn).
Welcome Heather. And congratulations on your soon to be little bundle of joy.
Old 03-07-2010, 07:24 PM   #533
Gallery Gazer

Quote:
I have mastered the correct tension in the Sk8r beanies and my DH and son each have one. I also made a couple of baby hats and and a bag to hold my wool. Now I've started on an easy ripple afghan. As soon as I get a new camera (dropped mine and now it only makes whirring noises) I will share some pictures.

Shelly, I find Ravelry a little overwhelming but I'm on there almost every day now. I'll get it figured out eventually
Yay! Good for you. I love ripples. I find them very soothing. Can't wait to see pics.

There is so much going on on Rav. It kinda makes your head spin. LOL Lots of fun though.
Old 03-08-2010, 03:15 AM   #534
Pearl-ExPert

Thanks for sharing the Lucy Bag link! That is so cute. May have to put that on the list this week. Hope you are well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by split-pea View Post
Pretty blanket.

I have 2 afghans in progress, 2 more that need trimmed, & I just started a Lucy bag the other day. http://attic24.typepad.com/weblog/crochet-bag.html I need to finish up some of these UFO's.
Old 03-08-2010, 06:40 AM   #535
Kookie Creator

Quote:
To cute. How's it going?
Well, it's been frogged. It worked up quick, but the sizing was all wrong for my daughter. It was a bit too big and by the time I figured that out, it was halfway done and I had lost my steam. It's not off the list of 'to do' but just delayed for awhile.
Old 03-08-2010, 10:17 AM   #536
Gallery Gazer

Quote:
Thanks for sharing the Lucy Bag link! That is so cute. May have to put that on the list this week. Hope you are well.
I just love all Lucy's patterns. I'm doing pretty well.
Old 03-08-2010, 10:18 AM   #537
Gallery Gazer

Quote:
Well, it's been frogged. It worked up quick, but the sizing was all wrong for my daughter. It was a bit too big and by the time I figured that out, it was halfway done and I had lost my steam. It's not off the list of 'to do' but just delayed for awhile.
Bummer! I hope you get it figured out soon.
Old 03-08-2010, 10:58 AM   #538
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
I hope your "you week" went well.
So far, so good, Shelley.. thanks for asking.

I've accomplished lots of projects this week. I found out this morning I should have an extra day or two. These will be spent completely alone as Bob heads back out on the boat tomorrow. If I can keep the cats off the bed long enouhg, I need to spread out the afghan I have in progress for my granddaughter. I made it too big and then couldn't find yarn to match to put an edging on it. So I need to spread it out, figure out where to take it down to and get the edging completed. One UFO of many will be finished.
Old 03-11-2010, 03:19 AM   #539
Pearl-ExPert

Hi everyone. It's almost Friday...
Old 03-11-2010, 04:10 AM   #540
Stampin' Fool

I tried to do a ripple afghan for my DS, but my stitch count kept getting warped. He's still getting a striped afghan, but with straight stripes in stead of ripples.
How hard can it be to count to four, double crochet three together, count to four, 3 double crochet in same stitch, and then repeat? I fear my future projects may be limited....
Old 03-11-2010, 05:13 AM   #541
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Hi everyone. It's almost Friday...
You mean it's NOT, yet?!?
Darn it...<mumbling to self> lol!

Can anyone explain this to me? I have 3 crochet hooks that are plastic (I know! But it's all I could find at the time I needed them). I went to JoAnn's yesterday to replace them with metal. I found the L and N, but no P. Anyway, my plastic N hook is a 10mm. At JoAnn's I found a metal N by Boye in a 9mm and a metal N by Susan Bates in a 10mm. I don't get it! I bought the 10mm since it matched the plastic one I had, but why the difference??
Old 03-11-2010, 05:16 AM   #542
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by frosted_gorilla View Post
I tried to do a ripple afghan for my DS, but my stitch count kept getting warped. He's still getting a striped afghan, but with straight stripes in stead of ripples.
How hard can it be to count to four, double crochet three together, count to four, 3 double crochet in same stitch, and then repeat? I fear my future projects may be limited....
I have a hard time keeping count, too. You're right - should be simple, but I lose it every time! I was working on a VERY simple pattern one night and was trying to count the stitches across every row to be sure I was keeping it even - I came out with a different number EVERY time - yep, I finally gave up! lol! And heaven help me if I have to put a project down in the middle of a row and come back to it later!!
Old 03-11-2010, 07:38 AM   #543
Die Cut Diva

Woo hoo! I finally finished my big project. It was very time consuming, but I think it turned out cute. I think I might go back to crocheting hats, though. I like instant gratification.
Old 03-11-2010, 07:39 AM   #544
Die Cut Diva

Sorry the pictures are so big!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-11-2010, 07:44 AM   #545
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs_hawkins View Post
Woo hoo! I finally finished my big project. It was very time consuming, but I think it turned out cute. I think I might go back to crocheting hats, though. I like instant gratification.
Wow! That is just toooo cute!!
Old 03-11-2010, 09:53 AM   #546
Stazon Splitcoast

Oh so cute, Heather! Of course, I was reading from the bottom up so I saw all the rings separate before I saw the tower. LOL Great job! How much longer for little one's arrival?
Old 03-11-2010, 09:57 AM   #547
Pearl-ExPert

Wow - awesome, Heather! That does look time consuming. They turned out great!
Old 03-11-2010, 09:58 AM   #548
Pearl-ExPert

LOL on the hook sizes!! I have no idea - But like you, I would just like to find my P hook in metal. I have a big fat plastic hook, too. I guess I'll have to order online.

Quote:
Originally Posted by galet1 View Post
You mean it's NOT, yet?!?
Darn it...<mumbling to self> lol!

Can anyone explain this to me? I have 3 crochet hooks that are plastic (I know! But it's all I could find at the time I needed them). I went to JoAnn's yesterday to replace them with metal. I found the L and N, but no P. Anyway, my plastic N hook is a 10mm. At JoAnn's I found a metal N by Boye in a 9mm and a metal N by Susan Bates in a 10mm. I don't get it! I bought the 10mm since it matched the plastic one I had, but why the difference??
Old 03-11-2010, 11:32 AM   #549
Die Cut Diva

Thanks, gals! The little one is due in less than 10 weeks!!!
Old 03-11-2010, 11:59 AM   #550
Swapper of the Month March 2012

Hi! Christina sent me a link to this group so I had to join too! I've been crocheting for... well, let's just say a LONG time... too many years to count. But by far I'm not an expert. I used to do a lot more of doilies and even some children's clothes when my older kids (who are now 23 and 26) were toddlers, but since then have mostly done afghans, little items like toys/amigurumi, and lately mostly prayer shawls. I'm also hoping to learn to knit this summer too. Christina introduced me to a wonderfully soft bamboo yarn and I'm going to try using that to make some little sachets I saw on Lion Brand's free patterns, and am also working on some cotton potholders that are chickens that I saw recently.

I'm Stampin' Good Deeds, Are You?
Old 03-12-2010, 03:22 AM   #551
Pearl-ExPert

Yay! Susan's here! Your list of things to do will certainly grow after you've been here for a while... So glad you hopped over.

Good morning everyone.
Old 03-12-2010, 04:30 AM   #552
Swapper of the Month March 2012

Oh, last thing I need is more projects! haha I have more patterns than I can handle now! At the last two church yard sales, I bought a box of the old Workbasket magazines. Does anyone else remember those? They always had a pattern in them, plus all sorts of other crafts, recipes, ideas. Now I don't know where to put them all!

I'm Stampin' Good Deeds, Are You?
Old 03-12-2010, 09:08 AM   #553
Die Cut Diva

I whipped up a hat this morning! It was a nice quick project after making that stacking toy. I recently got a book of different flowers to crochet, so I wanted to try some of those out. So I made a flower, then made a hat to put it on!
Old 03-12-2010, 09:35 AM   #554
Kookie Creator

Those stacking toys are so cute! Good job! I also love to make hats for my daughter, she's 18m.

http://castonerika.blogspot.com/2009...e-bunnies.html

I'm making one of these bunnies. FYI They are larger then they appear, the head is about the size of a baseball.
Old 03-13-2010, 05:39 AM   #555
Pearl-ExPert

Good morning. Anyone making any Easter gifts or decor?
Old 03-13-2010, 06:01 AM   #556
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by StampinGoodDeeds View Post
Oh, last thing I need is more projects! haha I have more patterns than I can handle now! At the last two church yard sales, I bought a box of the old Workbasket magazines. Does anyone else remember those? They always had a pattern in them, plus all sorts of other crafts, recipes, ideas. Now I don't know where to put them all!
Hi Susan...
I love Workbaskets. I have a few in the cabinet. I use to pour through those as a teen. I loved the Makin' Cents (?) column.
Old 03-13-2010, 06:05 AM   #557
Stazon Splitcoast

I can tell my husband has left the house. LOL I've not sat and watched TV or crocheted since he left on Tuesday. Maybe I'll get some stamping done. And it would be nice to finish the rough draft of the manuscript I've been working on *forever*.
Old 03-14-2010, 04:50 AM   #558
Pearl-ExPert

Oooh - what are you writing? Enjoy your free craft time.

Quote:
I can tell my husband has left the house. LOL I've not sat and watched TV or crocheted since he left on Tuesday. Maybe I'll get some stamping done. And it would be nice to finish the rough draft of the manuscript I've been working on *forever*.
Old 03-14-2010, 05:37 AM   #559
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Those stacking toys are so cute! Good job! I also love to make hats for my daughter, she's 18m.

http://castonerika.blogspot.com/2009...e-bunnies.html

I'm making one of these bunnies. FYI They are larger then they appear, the head is about the size of a baseball.
Those bunnies are cute! DH thought I should take a break from hats, so I made this cute toy.
http://herbsthandmade.blogspot.com/2...rial-loop.html

Then he decided maybe I should stop making toys because if the dog gets a hold of them they will be an unidentifiable mess of yarn and fiberfill.
Old 03-14-2010, 01:19 PM   #560
Gallery Gazer

Quote:
So far, so good, Shelley.. thanks for asking.

I've accomplished lots of projects this week. I found out this morning I should have an extra day or two. These will be spent completely alone as Bob heads back out on the boat tomorrow. If I can keep the cats off the bed long enouhg, I need to spread out the afghan I have in progress for my granddaughter. I made it too big and then couldn't find yarn to match to put an edging on it. So I need to spread it out, figure out where to take it down to and get the edging completed. One UFO of many will be finished.
Good for you.