Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2007, 02:18 PM   #1
Mad Swapper

Default Do opposites make good couples?

Ok, I need some advice from gals that have married or been in long term relationships with your opposite. Has it worked out?....what would you consider deal breakers?

I always considered my parents opposites and they're still married after over 30 years. But I guess they had similar views on the big things (kids, pets, and money).

I'm dating someone who on the surface seems similar to me (same age, religous background, both college grads), but we have totally different outlooks on our personal style, money, family, and relationships. We do enjoy several of the same interests......and he's an all around good guy.....but I can't help thinking the further I get into the relationship about all the things I may have a hard time living with later.

What do you guys think?

My Gallery
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 04-11-2007, 02:21 PM   #2
Die Cut Diva

I think that while opposites attract, it's the things that you have in common that keep you together.

There are 3 types of people in the world. Those that can count and those that can't.
Old 04-11-2007, 02:24 PM   #3
Gallery Gazer

Location: The weeds are popping up, and I'm having asthma issues
Send a message via MSN to LeahsCreations

I agree with Aubrey. I would say that DH and I have more in common than not.

Beware of money opposites. Money issues can easily tear a relationship apart.
Leah SCS Member #38898
His Holy Name Challenge http://triplethescraps.blogspot.com/
Old 04-11-2007, 02:29 PM   #4
Stazon Splitcoast

My husband and I agree on all major things and the opposite-ness comes into play on smaller things. So - I tend to think the major areas (yes, finances, family, religion, etc. . .) should be agreed upon for easier (less stressful) relationships.

That said - - - I know lots of couples that have survived while not agreeing on the major issues. All my brothers married women with different political views (which makes them cancel one another's votes out)
Old 04-11-2007, 02:30 PM   #5
Pearl-ExPert

I'd say DH and I are pretty opposite on most things...he was raised Moslem, I was raised Baptist; he was 32 and I was 21 when we married; he has a PhD and is a freaking science/math genius, I barely got my associates degree in Journalism; he likes spicey, I can't stand it; he was born in Iran, I was born in the US.....and on and on. But, we do agree on our goals for our children and we have become more alike as the years passed. I think each of us gave a little on the important things. It really helps that we are both liberal Democrats, so no political arguements. Our biggest battles are usually about money, I like to spend while he likes to save.

I guess if you love someone enough and you both go into it knowing that it's going to take a lot of work and compromise, you can be happy together. We'll be celebrating 23 years this August and have 4 kids!

Good Luck! Tami
Old 04-11-2007, 02:34 PM   #6
Forum Fanatic

My husband and I are so opposite, but we get along SO well. I think the key to being opposites is to realize your differences and just accept them. Don't try to sway the other to your side (even though it may be the right side! lol).

The only thing that I DO think you need to be on the same page on is how to raise your kids (if you are going to have any). It's hard enough to raise them, but if you are not a united front, it will be H E double L.
Old 04-11-2007, 02:38 PM   #7
Gallery Gazer

Location: The weeds are popping up, and I'm having asthma issues
Send a message via MSN to LeahsCreations

Oh, yes - thoughts and opinions on raising children are really important.
Leah SCS Member #38898
His Holy Name Challenge http://triplethescraps.blogspot.com/
Old 04-11-2007, 02:41 PM   #8
Glitter Guru

DH and I agree on all the biggies finances, kids etc. But, we are opposites. I am a scientist and he is a musician. I'm the oldest, he's the baby of the family. ETC. ETC. ETC. All that aside - everyone who knows us thinks we are the perfect match. And we get along so well.

In every relationship there is always some give and take, even in the major things.

“So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable.”
Old 04-11-2007, 02:45 PM   #9
Her Royal Awesomeness of Shiner Bock PTA Pirate Land

first off - LOVE your avatar. beautiful picture.

2nd off. dh and i went through pre-marriage classes and learned a lot about each other. it was a weekend deal and on the way back from it, i called the wedding off.

though we were alike in most areas, there were a few trigger areas that we were opposite on and i felt that it would become a big hurdle to our marriage.

well, we went our separate ways and then ended up back together and got married.

coincidence or not, our major trigger areas to the point of separation have been those areas. because of the chidren, we went to counseling and have learned to work things out - we've been together almost 10 years now.

because of the children, we decided to really work hard at our differences and for the most part now, we are able to respectfully disagree... but it's very very hard.

thankfully money isn't one of our triggers, but i have seen it with so many of my friends. before i went further i would definitely see if you couldn't come to a compromise.

family is another big trigger and it's the one that we fight the most about. my mother was very emotionally and verbally abusive to me all my life (and still is) i tolerate her (barely) because of my father. dh is one of these that believe that blood is thicker than water and you just get over that psycho babble stuff. he used to side with her just to "keep the family together." so i took the girls and left him "together" with her for a weekend....

i think you can get past political and religious differences unless one of you (or both) hold very firm in your beliefs. you need to think now about how you'll raise your children if one of you is a devote jew and the other is a devote catholic (or something else). while i think that it's good to expose your children to different viewpoints and faiths, you ought not fight about it especially in front of them. you can have it both ways if you can respect each other

good luck in your relationship! just remember that there is black, there is white, but there are also shades of gray.

sorry this was long!

2013 Scrapping Goal 48 pages
To date 20 completed!

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid. - Albert Einstein
Old 04-11-2007, 03:33 PM   #10
Mad Swapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmscoping
first off - LOVE your avatar. beautiful picture.
Thank you!!

The weird thing about our differences is the big things that should bother me don't really. For instance....he's not sure he wants kids, and I definatly do, he's also very tight with his money....saves every penny...which I actually admire cause I could definatly learn a thing from him about that.

What does bother me is that he's not a very affectionate person....and even thinks holding hands is juvenile. Also he never indulges in anything (alchohol, caffeine, rich food), and it makes me feel guilty for indulging myself (although he never says anything about it to me).

I don't know we'll see how things go......right now even though these things bother me, I'm still pretty interested in him, so I guess I'll just see how things go.

Thanks for the advice gals!

My Gallery
Old 04-11-2007, 04:08 PM   #11
Stazon Splitcoast

DH and I are pretty much opposite on the small stuff like what to watch on tv, etc....

But when it comes to the biggies religion, money, family values - we are right on track there. I think that works better for us.
Old 04-11-2007, 04:22 PM   #12
Die Cut Diva

Oh, Tara, Sweetie, I would think twice before I entered into a relationship with a guy that isn't affectionate!

If it bothers you enough to bring it up or even notice it, it's definately something that will bother you more as time wears on!

I know people who have gotten into such relationships and they feel like they are emotionally starving. They look for what's lacking in their relationship elsewhere and that in itself is a bad thing.
He set His STAMP of ownership on us, and put His spirit in our hearts as a deposit 2 Cor 1:22 Jan
Old 04-11-2007, 05:57 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannontc
Thank you!!

The weird thing about our differences is the big things that should bother me don't really. For instance....he's not sure he wants kids, and I definatly do, he's also very tight with his money....saves every penny...which I actually admire cause I could definatly learn a thing from him about that.

What does bother me is that he's not a very affectionate person....and even thinks holding hands is juvenile. Also he never indulges in anything (alchohol, caffeine, rich food), and it makes me feel guilty for indulging myself (although he never says anything about it to me).

I don't know we'll see how things go......right now even though these things bother me, I'm still pretty interested in him, so I guess I'll just see how things go.

Tara,
I would think long and hard on this guy...
You definitely want kids, he's not sure... this is sorta one of those deal breakers, ya know.... it is better than a you definitely do and he definitely doesn't but it's still worrisome...

if you "forget" one night to take birth control (assuming you'll use it) and get pregnant, is he going to be pleasantly surprised at your "oops" or is he going to feel trapped and hold it against you?

imo, fighting over money is one thing - fighting over the kids is something else.

and like jampsterstamping said - if it's bad enough for you to notice the lack of affection now, it's only going to get worse. he's 'wooing' you now. on his best behaviour. when/if you get married, he'll fall into a comfort zone and it'll get even worse.

my dh used to be the BEST at back rubs, brushing my hair, rubbing my feet. i'd get these almost every day. now i'm good at getting it once every 2-3 months....

To date 20 completed!

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid. - Albert Einstein
Old 04-11-2007, 06:07 PM   #14
Directionally Challenged Parrothead

Quote:
Thank you!!

Hi Tara!

My Dad used to tell me that he went to his father once to ask for advice on whether or not he should marry a girl. His father told him, 'when it's the right one, you won't be asking me, you'll be telling me.' So I do think that if you're still in the early stages and worrying, that's probably worth paying attention to--not that it will or won't work out, but you have to be honest with yourself if something has you stopping to think.

So far as differences go, I think a lot of it comes down to priorities and communication. So much of communication is a learned skill--that balance between honesty and a deep, tactful understanding of and respect for the other person. I think folks who know themselves and are willing to compromise can find that those differences become a strength in their relationship, but without both of you being able to communicate and compromise, the differences can tear you up.

I agree with everyone else on affection. If you can talk it out, and he can understand how much it matters to you, that may help, but if trying to talk gets you nowhere, that's not a good sign. Good luck and enjoy! Sometimes it's fine just to enjoy ride and see where it takes you.
Old 04-11-2007, 06:15 PM   #15
Stazon Splitcoast

Send a message via MSN to MelenaPrincess Send a message via Yahoo to MelenaPrincess

I usually say that all men are pigs, it's just a matter of finding one who you can tollerate their pigginess. My DH and I come from different religions, opposing political views, different economic class, different spending habbits, and much differnt families, however we have the same core values. We have been able to recognize our differences and talk about them respectfully and agree to disagree, or in the case of finances work with one another to accomidate both our styles. We were the couple who was bored at our pre-marital counseling retreat because we had talked about it all before and already come up with our own solutions.

Things change in relationships, but as others stated, if he is not affectionate now, he probably never will be, and it seems like that irks you, but later it may become a deal breaker.

My shock was that I only found out after 5 years of marriage that DH claims he doesn't care for sweets!?! If I had known that one up front the deal would have been off. I think he knew that and that's why he hid it from me. You cannot go to a family function at my parents without at least 2-3 desserts. Who is he?
Old 04-11-2007, 06:17 PM   #16
Kookie Creator

How does he fight? If it's dirty and dragging up old stuff then leave now. If he's fair and can talk thru it then maybe. Also, how does he treat his family and esp. his mother?
IF you doubt now then he's not the one is the bottom line.
HTH
Noddy
Old 04-11-2007, 09:09 PM   #17
Stazon Splitcoast

I married my opposite. Our surfaces also seem similar (both children of religious immigrants, and similar religious rebellions). But he likes to spend and I like to save money. He is generous and loving, and I am the epitome of selfishness. I'm much more cold/hard-hearted and he is very very tender-hearted. But after the first two years of hell, our marriage has been wonderful for the following seven years. The first two years is where we suffered through horrendous emotional turmoil to battle out our differences - money and family (his parents/our kids).

The only big thing we agreed on before even the engagement was that I was absolutely not going to have children. This was a big deal, because in his later teens (he got married at 32) he had promised his dad some grandkids. I didn't care about that - that was his problem, not mine. Anyway, that got taken care of in the first two hellish years of marriage (he profusely apologized to his dad and said that was a promise he had to break). This was extremely hard for him because he knew that his parents desperately desperately wanted grandkids, and it was sooooooo very important to them. Also, dh would have loved to have kids, and would've been a great father. (but...I don't care. No kids for me) I DID tell him before we got married that if he ever decided that he HAD to have kids, I would give him a friendly divorce and not screw him financially (and I still mean it).

We also had some knock-down ugly battles (never physical! Just emotional/mental) over money. I'm ashamed to say that I won that one by force. Again, my cold-hearted nature made it clear that it was my way or the highway on this one (and this was after we were married! - I did not think to discuss this before marriage; stupid I know). Years later, dh told me that in the midst of one of those fights, he had secretly decided to divorce me.

So money and kids were our two deal-breakers.

We didn't attend any pre-marital counseling, but I think that would definitely have helped!!! On the other hand, I question if I would've gone ahead with marriage if counseling had fully un-blinded me *laugh*. Of course, now I'm glad I did, but knowing what I know now, I know that if dh dies, I will NEVER re-marry so I will never have to go through anything like those two years ever ever again!! EVER.

So, it got pretty ugly with our differences. I think it is a freakin miracle that our marriage has not only survived but flourished. I think speaking up and fighting (respectfully, preferably) for what you want early on in the relationship is best, whether or not it ends the relationship. That way, there are no festering wounds or dark disappointments years and years later.

I think you just gotta pick the most important things to you (affection through physical contact? for example) and fight for it. Maybe even though your guy thinks hand-holding is juvenile, he doesn't actually have an aversion to it, and if he knows how happy it makes you, he wouldn't mind "being juvenile" just for you.

Best wishes, and sorry for the novel!
Old 04-11-2007, 11:09 PM   #18
Kookie Creator

1. Has anyone ever told you that you look like Debra Messing? Well, I thought that was her. I love her...you know Will and Grace?
2. Honey, go with your gut feeling and stick to it!
3. I read much of this post b/c I can not sleep. Opposites may attract...but can they stay together??? is the question.
Good luck to you.

Old 04-12-2007, 01:30 AM   #19
This reminds me of a Star Trek episode....

Quote:
my dh used to be the BEST at back rubs, brushing my hair, rubbing my feet. i'd get these almost every day. now i'm good at getting it once every 2-3 months....
Ahem. In my house, if I don't get my back scratchies, well.... let's just say If mama ain't happy ain't nobody happy. ROFL If I don't get my back scratchies, there is no joy in Mudville.

"Fun must be always." - Tomas Hertl, San Jose Sharks
Old 04-12-2007, 01:34 AM   #20

My DH is pretty different from me, but we share basic values, like the same music, are okay on pets (that wouldn't have been a deal breaker, tho), and he talked me into kids. Well, we discussed it before we got married. He's also eight and a half years younger than me.

We met at a university, he was a student, I was a secretary. We were just friends. After he got his masters and moved away, we began writing letters. That's when we fell in love. Now we have two kids and just celebrated our 21st anniversary.

Old 04-12-2007, 03:34 AM   #21
Kookie Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDiegoGal
My husband and I are so opposite, but we get along SO well. I think the key to being opposites is to realize your differences and just accept them. Don't try to sway the other to your side (even though it may be the right side! lol).

The only thing that I DO think you need to be on the same page on is how to raise your kids (if you are going to have any). It's hard enough to raise them, but if you are not a united front, it will be H E double L.
I totally agree. My dh and I are opposites on almost everything (except politics and raising our children) but we never try to change the other, that's really important. I like that our differences balance each other out. Whatever he's uptight about I'm not and vice versa.

We'll be celebrating our 11th wedding anniversary this August and I've never regretted marrying my opposite.
Old 04-12-2007, 06:49 AM   #22
Mad Swapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JampsterStampster
Oh, Tara, Sweetie, I would think twice before I entered into a relationship with a guy that isn't affectionate!

If it bothers you enough to bring it up or even notice it, it's definately something that will bother you more as time wears on!

I know people who have gotten into such relationships and they feel like they are emotionally starving. They look for what's lacking in their relationship elsewhere and that in itself is a bad thing.
I think the reason it doesn't bother me is because I don't think he's that serious. He says he has no desire to have kids right now, but admits that it could change. After talking to a few of my guy friends I think it's fairly common for guys to not want kids until they've actually met someone they want to have kids with. He hasn’t dated all that much since college, so I’m not sure he’s been in an “adult” relationship where he has had the desire to have kids. Now the men in my family (including my sister’s new husband have always wanted kids….even my 22 year old brother….who is no where close to finding the right woman). In any case I would never marry someone unless we had agreed on the kid thing one way or another…….and if I did decide that I was ok with not having kids I would most likely do something permanent about it (or make him do something permanent), so I couldn’t have an oops! Pregnancy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddy otter
I agree with everyone else on affection. If you can talk it out, and he can understand how much it matters to you, that may help, but if trying to talk gets you nowhere, that's not a good sign. Good luck and enjoy! Sometimes it's fine just to enjoy ride and see where it takes you.
The relationship is still pretty new ……although we’ve been friends for almost a year. It’s kinda weird going from a platonic relationship to a romantic one…..so on one level we know more about each other than most couples that have been dating for the same length of time…..but also we’re taking things slow (especially in the physical sense), cause we want to be able to salvage our friendship if things don’t work out romantically. So…..I don’t know for sure that he wont be affectionate….cause we aren’t to that point yet (but I hope we will be soon!), he’s just talked about how his family, although he’s very close to them, isn’t very affectionate…..and how he hates PDA.

Wow! I’m totally making excuses for him already

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampinupinmyloft
1. Has anyone ever told you that you look like Debra Messing? Well, I thought that was her. I love her...you know Will and Grace?
Yes, I do get the Debra Messing thing a bit, and I defiantly take it as a compliment, so thanks!

My Gallery
Old 04-12-2007, 06:55 AM   #23
Hardware Hotshot

IMO -
I think it's great to be opposites in some things - but the BIG things (children, disciplining, money, religion) are important to be on the same page about.
Old 04-12-2007, 06:57 AM   #24
Hardware Hotshot

And I don't mean you need to share a religion - NOT AT ALL.

Just that if someone is a devout Christian and faith is their life - marrying an atheist could be troublesome!

If both are different religions but the religion isn't one the things they 'define' their lives with, then it wouldn't be an issue... make sense???

I'm too tired to try to make it clear! Hope you 'get' what I tried to say!
Old 04-12-2007, 07:10 AM   #25
Crimping Master

[QUOTE=jmscoping]like jampsterstamping said - if it's bad enough for you to notice the lack of affection now, it's only going to get worse. he's 'wooing' you now. on his best behaviour. when/if you get married, he'll fall into a comfort zone and it'll get even worse.QUOTE]

Based on my personal on-going experience, I absolutely agree... And, among other things, it's nearly a deal-breaker (I'm in the same boat as Sophie - it's a miracle my husband and I have made it as long as we have). Seriously, in my opinion, physical affection is the EASY part of a relationship. If he can't/won't be affectionate, will he have any interest/ability to do everything else that needs to be done to maintain a relationship?
Old 04-12-2007, 07:22 AM   #26
Die Cut Diva

My parents - who will be celebrating their 40th wedding anniversary this fall - are very opposite with respects to their upbringing & home life. My mother's parents were alcoholics & divorced each other when she was in college, they weren't real affectionate either. My father's parents stayed happily married for more than 50 years until my grandfather died. They were affectionate people & spoiled/doted on us grandchildren.

My parents have argued over money things through the earlier years. Policitally they are similar but do have some opposite views (like on abortion). They are affectionate & very family oriented. Personality wise - my mother is very type A, bubbly & super outgoing. My father is laid back with a dry sense of humor. One common trait - they are both very artistic.

Anne
Old 04-12-2007, 07:24 AM   #27
Pearl-ExPert

My hubby of 42 yrs. were pretty opposite..but we grew together. I liked to party he was kinda laid back. We had never talked about kids, but i got preggy bfore we were married. He was never big on affection..i was.
But as time went on..i accepted that n didn't try to change him. When we 'd be at a party or whatever..i felt put out cause he was off talking to friends etc. But then he would always come ask if i needed a drink or if i was ok..or sometimes he would just squeeze my neck as he went by..i soon learned that was the way he was. He never was big on cards or flowers etc. But always showed he loved me in diff. ways that meant more to me.
My DD #2 always wanted kids. DD #1 never. well turned out DD has 2 (but is separated) and DD #2 has none. her hubby doesn't want any. I once asked her if she was ok w/that..and she said..i am now..not at first..but the love she has for him is special..she's happy w/her 2 neices and her hubby adores them also.
I think the grampa was right in the above post..you'll know in your heart of hearts when it is right. and nothing will stand in your way.
Never try and change the person you fell in love with..else they won't be the one you did fall in love with. Take it slow and easy..you'll know when it's right.
Btw..hubby grew to be very affectionate. lol.

loves ya

When the world says give up, hope whispers, try one more time.
Old 04-12-2007, 07:52 AM   #28
Compulsive Stamper

Send a message via AIM to Geriann in IL Send a message via Yahoo to Geriann in IL
Talking I married my opposite...

Quote:
Ok, I need some advice from gals that have married or been in long term relationships with your opposite. Has it worked out?....what would you consider deal breakers?

I'm dating someone who on the surface seems similar to me (same age, religous background, both college grads), but we have totally different outlooks on our personal style, money, family, and relationships.
What do you guys think?
It really depends on how different your outlooks are...and ifyou can discuss/negotiate things. For example, my husband would LITERALLY be happy if he never spent another dime in life I don't think I need to even point out how opposite that is from a crafter,who is generally a spender for crafting alone!! We discuss our budget and goals (ie, debt, travel) and then there is a slush fund for my scrapping/stamping stuff that I have. It's not as much as I'd like, but it's definitely DO-able.
Family would be a big one for me...and quite frankly, it would be a deal breaker if he didn't value family as much as I did. My sister was gone from family holidays for almost 10 years because her husband wouldn't negotiate a shared holiday thing...so it was always his family and never ours.

Personally, I believe after 21.5 years of marriage to my polar opposite (the only things wehad in common was our faith (which has since changed anyway!!) and we both came from big families), I think you can be in a successful relationship with him if you can discuss openly and respectfully, and negotiate a fair deal for both. Sometimes we can't...but the one who feels the strongest tends to get their way when we can't.
Old 04-12-2007, 09:02 AM   #29
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz_n29
My hubby of 42 yrs. were pretty opposite..but we grew together. I liked to party he was kinda laid back. We had never talked about kids, but i got preggy bfore we were married. He was never big on affection..i was.
But as time went on..i accepted that n didn't try to change him. When we 'd be at a party or whatever..i felt put out cause he was off talking to friends etc. But then he would always come ask if i needed a drink or if i was ok..or sometimes he would just squeeze my neck as he went by..i soon learned that was the way he was. He never was big on cards or flowers etc. But always showed he loved me in diff. ways that meant more to me.
My DD #2 always wanted kids. DD #1 never. well turned out DD has 2 (but is separated) and DD #2 has none. her hubby doesn't want any. I once asked her if she was ok w/that..and she said..i am now..not at first..but the love she has for him is special..she's happy w/her 2 neices and her hubby adores them also.
I think the grampa was right in the above post..you'll know in your heart of hearts when it is right. and nothing will stand in your way.
Never try and change the person you fell in love with..else they won't be the one you did fall in love with. Take it slow and easy..you'll know when it's right.
Btw..hubby grew to be very affectionate. lol.

loves ya
Gail - that's just so sweet! You & your hub are so cute in your photo!

Anne
Old 04-12-2007, 09:18 AM   #30
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

I always considered my parents opposites and they're still married after over 30 years. But I guess they had similar views on the big things (kids, pets, and money).

I'm dating someone who on the surface seems similar to me (same age, religous background, both college grads), but we have totally different outlooks on our personal style, money, family, and relationships. We do enjoy several of the same interests......and he's an all around good guy.....but I can't help thinking the further I get into the relationship about all the things I may have a hard time living with later.

What do you guys think?

these things are HUGE!
Old 04-12-2007, 11:37 AM   #31
Pearl-ExPert

Default Just curious...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tami2
I'd say DH and I are pretty opposite on most things...he was raised Moslem, I was raised Baptist; he was 32 and I was 21 when we married; he has a PhD and is a freaking science/math genius, I barely got my associates degree in Journalism; he likes spicey, I can't stand it; he was born in Iran, I was born in the US.....and on and on. But, we do agree on our goals for our children and we have become more alike as the years passed. I think each of us gave a little on the important things. It really helps that we are both liberal Democrats, so no political arguements. Our biggest battles are usually about money, I like to spend while he likes to save.

I guess if you love someone enough and you both go into it knowing that it's going to take a lot of work and compromise, you can be happy together. We'll be celebrating 23 years this August and have 4 kids!

Good Luck! Tami

Just curious...couldn't resist asking about the religion aspect but, as far as your children...did you compromise on religion? Moslem or Baptist? Or both?
Old 04-12-2007, 11:56 AM   #32
Die Cut Diva

Send a message via AIM to virginia

It's a longish thread and I didn't read all the responses, but I think it's very important to be compatible regardless if you are opposites or not. I also think it's important for people to not go into relationships hoping to change the other person. If there are things you can't accept now, chances are you might not accept them later. Good luck!
Old 04-12-2007, 01:19 PM   #33
Stampin' Fool

I don't like the saying that opposites attract. I much rather prefer to look at relationships as balancing each other out. My DH and I are a great balancing and grounding factor for one another. We have been together 14 years and although we have hit some bumps in the road, I am more in love w/ him than I was when we first married.
I agree that my DH and I have very different point of view on some things and way different personalities, but like your parents we agree on the "big" things in life like money and kids. I think that the true test of marriage is how you handle life changes and most of those come about because of money and kids. So, I think that it is important to be on the same page w/ those issues.
Old 04-12-2007, 01:29 PM   #34
Die Cut Diva

It's sad to say, but I think that a lot of women "settle" now adays for someone who meets most of their criteria for a good mate.'

But YOU DON"T HAVE TO SETTLE! There IS someone perfect for you out there and he's worth waiting for.

I wanted a man who is sensitive to my needs and is sentimental. Not only because they make better husbands, but they make better fathers, too.

My husband is a jewel! He never forgets a special day, gives me gifts "just because", pays attention to what I look at when I shop (so he can come back later and buy it as a gift). He allows me time to jog or spend time with the girls or to stamp because he understands that my interests are connected to my well- being and my well- being is connected to everyone else in the house. If mom's not happy, no one's happy.

Wait for a man who sees you as important enough to see that your'e happy. He's worth the wait!
He set His STAMP of ownership on us, and put His spirit in our hearts as a deposit 2 Cor 1:22 Jan
Old 04-12-2007, 03:57 PM   #35

I was remembering that before I got married, and I never really cared if I got married or had kids, but I hated the phrase "Settle Down." I would tell people that if I ever got married, I would "Settle Up." LOL

I don't think anyone is perfect, but I think you can find someone that you love enough to put up with the little things that might otherwise drive you crazy.

And when you hear about toothpaste squabbles, remember that you can always use your own tube. LOL DH and I have never liked the same toothpaste, so I don't care how he squeezes his tube.

When we got married, 21 years ago, I told DH that if any issues came up, I would talk with him, but NOT NAG. I said it's not my job to be a nag and I'm never going to let you turn me into one. So when little things would bug me, I'd remember to say something before it made me crazy. Like what, you ask? Well, he would take his t-shirts off in such a manner that they all ended up inside out. Well, when I quit work and began staying home, I took on the chore of laundry. (Yes, when we both worked, we each did our own!) Anyway, I finally told him that it wasn't a big deal, but that if he would try to remember to turn it right side out as he took it off, it would only take a few seconds, whereas when I had to do 10 shirts in laundry, it became a "chore." I told him that if he forgot once in awhile, I wouldn't worry about it, but if there were more than, say, three, then I'd just fold them inside out! ROFL He saw my point and it's never been an issure. Usually there's 1 or 2 that are inside out.

Gotta keep that sense of humor.

Old 04-12-2007, 04:21 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stampin Wrose
I And when you hear about toothpaste squabbles, remember that you can always use your own tube. LOL DH and I have never liked the same toothpaste, so I don't care how he squeezes his tube. .
we've never used the same kind of toothpaste, shampoo, or soap. makes for a much happier morning!

To date 20 completed!

Old 04-12-2007, 08:39 PM   #37

Quote:
we've never used the same kind of toothpaste, shampoo, or soap. makes for a much happier morning!
Same here!!! LOL

Old 04-12-2007, 09:02 PM   #38
Pearl-ExPert

same here..lol
and thanks ann for the lovely complement on my post..and u are sweet to mention it.
loves ya

When the world says give up, hope whispers, try one more time.