Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2006, 11:50 PM   #1
Insane Embellisher

Default Designer knockoff bags

Anybody ever bought any of these bags? I know a girl that offered to sell me one and I cannot tell the difference at all between the real and the fake. They look so authentic to me, but do they hold up??? Anybody know?
Old 01-18-2006, 05:17 AM   #2
Die Cut Diva

I got a knock off Kate Spade, and it totally fell apart after about a month. I went to a purse party in December, just to check it all out, and I am glad I did not buy, my friends are not happy with their purchases. Honestly, I would rather get a generic bag at Target that is cute than the knockoff that may or may not last a month. My 'kate spade' that fell apart first was the little feet on the bottom fell off, then the sides started caving in, then the stitches started pulling apart on the sides that were not reinforced. If it had been real, I could have returned it, but I ended up having to trash it (I paid $50 for it)
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 01-18-2006, 07:13 AM   #3
Stazon Splitcoast

I have friends that had mixed results with purse party knock-offs. I personally won't buy one after doing research on those bags. Many are made in child sweat shops overseas and they are illegal. You are funding illegal activity by purchasing one. Now that I'm off my soapbox, I would rather get a nice purse from a regular store. I have a red leather Fossil purse for $90 that I love and two years later it still looks great. Better than my friends knock-off purses.
Old 01-18-2006, 07:22 AM   #4
Pearl-ExPert

Send a message via Yahoo to steph772

I wouldnt buy them either. I splurged and bought a dooney and burke. Paid a pretty penny for it. But I have to say, It really was worth it! I go through purses constantly. I have been carrying this one for at least 4 months!! That is a big deal for me. I used to ALWAYS shop for a cuter purse, but since I got this one I havent even looked. I say if you can afford the real thing, go for it! You wont be dissapointed. My bag also comes with a warranty. So, IF it does decide to fall apart, it gets fixed for free!
Old 01-18-2006, 10:03 AM   #5
Glitter Guru

I got a knock-off Brighton a couple of years ago for $40. It had a straw body that fell apart after a couple of months.

I have a Dooney & Bourke that must be a knock-off cuz I only paid $30 for it in Mexico! It's holding up great, and I love it!

<--Wishing I was cruising (Caribbean Princess, May 2010)
Old 01-18-2006, 10:27 AM   #6
Glitter Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyStamper
I have friends that had mixed results with purse party knock-offs. I personally won't buy one after doing research on those bags. Many are made in child sweat shops overseas and they are illegal. You are funding illegal activity by purchasing one. Now that I'm off my soapbox, I would rather get a nice purse from a regular store. I have a red leather Fossil purse for $90 that I love and two years later it still looks great. Better than my friends knock-off purses.
Ditto....I would rather buy a name brand then to buy something that is a knock off that is funding illegal activities...which many are.

Mindy

Old 01-18-2006, 01:52 PM   #7
Mad Swapper

I know you've heard the saying, "You get what you pay for." If you're just looking for a purse to use every once in a while, it might hold up. If you're going to use it as your everyday purse, then I don't think it will and inside you really won't be happy that it's a knock off. -- I say to save your money and get the real thing, you'll be the winner both ways.

That being said, I have a real Dooney & wallet, paid OUTRAGEOUS money for both and used it maybe 3 months. My nerves couldn't stand it. I was so scared to lose it or beat it up, even though Dooney does reconditioning. It's now been sitting in my closet for a few years now in almost perfect condition. I use my Fossil and don't worry about it.

Just my 2 cents!
Old 01-18-2006, 02:20 PM   #8
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
I personally won't buy one after doing research on those bags. Many are made in child sweat shops overseas and they are illegal. You are funding illegal activity by purchasing one.
Thanks for pointing this out, I would never wan't to contribute to that. I've heard that before too. I think it's so easy for us here in the States to forget that some of the stuff we buy has been because some 9 year old goes to work 10 hours a day and lives in filth. Thanks for doing the research and having the guts to post it on here.

I am extraordinarily patient, provided I get my own way in the end. - Margaret Thatcher

http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/go/dstfrommi
Old 01-18-2006, 03:18 PM   #9
Polyshrink Goddess

I have several friends who have purchased knock-offs and they have quickly broken and fallen apart. Some of them have actual leather, but most are made of vinyl and the stitching is awful.

I have had 2 different Dooney & Bourke purses over the years and they just can't be beat. My first one I used for almost 5 years before the stitching along the zipper started to pull apart. I sent it in and because the model had changed it couldn't just be replaced, so they gave me a credit for the value of the purse to buy a new one. Now, how can you beat that?!? I love how the leather is waterproof and mine have withstood much abuse.

I say either splurge on the real thing, or just find a cute, less-expensive style to buy.

-Chantae
Old 01-18-2006, 08:08 PM   #10
Gabfest Goddess

Send a message via Yahoo to SkyesMom

I have bought several authentic louis vuitton bags through eluxury.com, and I have known a few people that have bought fake louis vuittons for about $100 and I personally cannot tell the difference. I know that you get what you pay for, and with louis vuitton bags and stuff like they may be expensive but they last forever. But I of course I still buy purses from target and walmart because they are so cute as well. My mom on the other hand prefers Coach and they are just as good too like Dooney and Burke and others of the like.
Old 01-25-2006, 09:50 PM   #11
Insane Embellisher

I saw the coach ones, I have one myself...and I could not tell the difference at all!!! even the stitching was the same inside. I figure, I usually do not buy name brand, but do like leather..and I pay about the same price for the ones I buy at other stores...so, I may just go for it.
Old 01-25-2006, 10:30 PM   #12
Pearl-ExPert

I think at one time, someone told me to feel how HEAVY the purse is. The real purses are almost always HEAVY! I compared Coach purses and the real one was definitely more weighty - noticeably. I checked out a Chanel bag - it was heavy but very nicely balanced - the straps definitely were made to hold the heavier weight. Have not had a knockoff - but I have carried a Prada bag for a co-worker that I SWEAR is a fake -- it is not heavy at all and though it looks fine, when it has stuff in it, it doesn't look good.
Old 01-26-2006, 12:56 PM   #13
Insane Embellisher

I would not buy a Knock off for many reasons.

If I want a Coach purse, then I am going to buy a coach purse and some day I am going to buy one!

Also I think the Knock Offs are not a deal $50 - $100 bucks is a lot of money and not worth it too me, yes I know that the real thing would be more like$300 - $500. I expect prices to be more like $20 or $30, if it isn't real. I would spend $50 - $100 on a good purse (Fossil)not a knock of I know nothing about.

Lastly all those high end purses do come with great service and repair. My sister gave me a coach as a hand me down, 5 years after she had it and 10 years into my use of it I took it to the store to get the stitching repaired on the strap, they happily sent it back to the factory when it came back to me it was polished and the repair stitching was excellent. You aren't going to get any repair service with a knock off.

K
Old 01-26-2006, 01:11 PM   #14
Dirty Dozen Alumni

too funny...I read through all the posts and saw multiple posts about Fossil purses and had to LOL. I thought buying my Fossil was a splurge, but I guess not!
Old 01-26-2006, 06:12 PM   #15
SCS Moderator

Quote:
ditto!
And in man yplaces if they have the labels orlogos, they are illegal. A frined of mine had the FBI (yup-FBI!) come to her door with a cancelled check she had written, and took a pic of her purse from the party.

No thanks to that! LOL

Old 01-26-2006, 06:17 PM   #16
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by camsmom
ditto!
And in man yplaces if they have the labels orlogos, they are illegal. A frined of mine had the FBI (yup-FBI!) come to her door with a cancelled check she had written, and took a pic of her purse from the party.

No thanks to that! LOL
DANG!!! lol...I would hate to have that! I never knew that a knock off would be so controversial! Here I thought I would just be able to sport around looking like I had spent a lot of money when really I'm somewhat of a miser! lol....ah well.
Old 01-26-2006, 06:35 PM   #17
SCS Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qtpy
DANG!!! lol...I would hate to have that! I never knew that a knock off would be so controversial! Here I thought I would just be able to sport around looking like I had spent a lot of money when really I'm somewhat of a miser! lol....ah well.
I really think it depends on who is making/selling them, and if it just "looks" like a knock-off vs. having the labels (like with a Kate Spade label on the outside vs. just a striped one that looks like Kate Spade inspired, kwim?)

Old 01-26-2006, 07:01 PM   #18
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I had to google search because I've never heard of purse party knock-off purses.

These are illegal. If I was you I wouldn't go to one of these parties much less buy at them.

Read this:

http://www.eastbayexpress.com/issues...s/feature.html

I'm already watching myself with the stampin' "police" and making sure I follow the rules. I wouldn't want to have the purse "police" come after me too...

It's hostess beware!
Michelle Laycock ~ #499 ~
Laycock Designs
Product Designer for Our Daily Bread designs , North Coast Creations and Partner Companies
"They're only crayons. You didn't fear them in kindergarten, why fear them now?" ~ Hugh MacLeod
Old 01-26-2006, 07:26 PM   #19
Pearl-ExPert

I live in Michigan and maybe a year or two back they had a thing on the news about arresting people who were doing the illegal parties! I'm sure they won't do jail time but they will probably get a hefty fine. No thanks to that.

I am extraordinarily patient, provided I get my own way in the end. - Margaret Thatcher

http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/go/dstfrommi
Old 01-26-2006, 07:33 PM   #20
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstfrommi
I live in Michigan and maybe a year or two back they had a thing on the news about arresting people who were doing the illegal parties! I'm sure they won't do jail time but they will probably get a hefty fine. No thanks to that.
ouch!

I hope I never find any of my SCS friends in jail for buying at a purse party.

I'm so glad I found out about this before I am ever invited to one. I'd probably go if I didn't know any better.
Michelle Laycock ~ #499 ~
Laycock Designs
Product Designer for Our Daily Bread designs , North Coast Creations and Partner Companies
"They're only crayons. You didn't fear them in kindergarten, why fear them now?" ~ Hugh MacLeod
Old 01-26-2006, 08:09 PM   #21
Stazon Splitcoast

I really want a coach, but I know there's Coach outlet about an hour away from here where I'll get one when I can swing it. I checked it out while I was Christmas shopping (that's why I didn't come home with one, went to the toy store with that $ instead lol), and there were some really nice bags that started at $60 and went up from there. The $60 were tiny, though lol. I want big! Make sure you check for outlets, too.
Old 03-04-2006, 08:23 AM   #22
Hardware Hotshot

my step daughter gave me a knock off Louis Vuitton and it held up great - I used it for over a year.

Art is intended to provoke an emotion from a total stranger. If you’ve succeeded in this, consider yourself an artist. Paper Shanks Blog. Love me or hate me, you are still talking about me :)
Old 03-04-2006, 08:24 AM   #23
Hardware Hotshot

I didn't know the purse parties were illegal! They aren't a legit company?

http://www.eastbayexpress.com/issues...s/feature.html that article really opened my eyes...

Art is intended to provoke an emotion from a total stranger. If you’ve succeeded in this, consider yourself an artist. Paper Shanks Blog. Love me or hate me, you are still talking about me :)

Last edited by jailbirdstamper; 03-04-2006 at 09:00 AM..
Old 03-04-2006, 08:33 AM   #24
Kookie Creator

Send a message via AIM to SmilingDaisy

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAXYO
too funny...I read through all the posts and saw multiple posts about Fossil purses and had to LOL. I thought buying my Fossil was a splurge, but I guess not!
For me it is a splurge. I go to the fossil outlet to get my purses. For instance, my current purse is a $150 fossil I got for $30. I have used it for 3 years and does not show a speck of wear. I have 4 fossil wallets only because I wanted different sizes and colors.

I love fossil and will not buy anything else!!!!
Old 03-04-2006, 02:43 PM   #25
Die Cut Diva

Cool knockoff no no

I have been to a couple of those purse parties, never bought anything. I splurged $280 on a Coach bucket bag about 5-6 yrs ago in classic black with silver hardware and carry it year round. With a little of their leather conditioner about every 3 months or so-it still looks like brand new. I did finally decide that it was time to start carrying something different last w/e though and found a great "springy" Ralph Lauren bag@ TJMaxx for $25! Great deal huh, and it's the real thing!!
Old 03-05-2006, 04:44 AM   #26
Pearl-ExPert

Send a message via Yahoo to steph772

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle Laycock
Read this:

http://www.eastbayexpress.com/issues...s/feature.html

I'm already watching myself with the stampin' "police" and making sure I follow the rules. I wouldn't want to have the purse "police" come after me too...

It's hostess beware!
Great article, I tempted to forward to my SIL. She just bought her 2nd Knock off! It makes me ill to think that she supports this industry. She is quite proud of her knock off.
I am a known purse freak! I will splurge 300 on a purse every great once in a while. For her to tell me that her Dooney is fake, drives me crazy!!!

Should I tell her???
Old 03-05-2006, 09:17 AM   #27
Pearl-ExPert

Send a message via Yahoo to brightrachel1008

wow, i don't think i've ever spent more than 20 bucks on a purse, and my husband goes insane everytime i get a new one... i can't imagine what would happen if i was paying hundreds of dollars for them... besides, i end up getting so much gum and misc stuff stuck to the inside lining, it gets gross in there. purses never last long enough to fall apart!
Old 03-05-2006, 09:57 AM   #28
Inking Addict

It's funny that this conversation is going on. My friend and I were just discussing this. I would just die if the FBI showed up on my doorstep about a purse! No thank you to knockoffs!

I had a knock off LV that I got for $20 and I ended up giving it to my aunt - who has real ones - but wanted something to carry her papers back and forth to work in. She said the work was pretty good on the fake but she could tell it wasn't real.

I rotate purses often and find some of my "favorites" at Marshall's or TJ Maxx. I've had Coach and D&B and yes you are paying for the name but you are also paying for the service and repairs as others stated earlier.

It's a matter of preference. I'd rather buy 2-3 less expensive purses vs. one really expensive one. Now presents from loved ones and significant others are another topic!!! Smiles!

Monique
Old 03-05-2006, 11:15 AM   #29
Gabfest Goddess

If you see something you like - go for it. I've been to one purse party and honestly if I'm going to buy a cheap trendy purse I'll get one from target where they are cute and a lot cheaper than the fake ones.

That being said - my husband buys me my purses and they are the real deal -my Kate Spade purse it absolutely wonderful and will probably last forever and with most of the big names they replace things if there is a defect or sometimes even if it just wears out.

Now the illegal issue is a totally different subject - I've heard both that it is illegal and some claim that their purses are perfectly legal - I'm not sure what to believe.
Old 03-05-2006, 07:29 PM   #30
Stazon Splitcoast

Send a message via MSN to nadine529 Send a message via Yahoo to nadine529 Send a message via Skype™ to nadine529

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackbrad
If you see something you like - go for it. I've been to one purse party and honestly if I'm going to buy a cheap trendy purse I'll get one from target where they are cute and a lot cheaper than the fake ones.

That being said - my husband buys me my purses and they are the real deal -my Kate Spade purse it absolutely wonderful and will probably last forever and with most of the big names they replace things if there is a defect or sometimes even if it just wears out.

Now the illegal issue is a totally different subject - I've heard both that it is illegal and some claim that their purses are perfectly legal - I'm not sure what to believe.
There is no question that buying and/or selling the knock offs are illegal. If they were not made by the actual company i.e. Louis Vouitton, Chanel etc. then they are illegal. Period. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

When I was working at a major corporation, they used to have vendors come in all the time and one lady used to sell knock-offs. It used to infuriate me to no end. One day I asked her how she could sell knock offs, and had she gotten in trouble yet. She said, oh the real companies don't mind, its like flattery for them. Could you imagine? What a dope.

They are really cracking down on the knock off industry. And its major fines for the companies who are selling and you could get in big trouble if you buy. Its the same as possession of stolen goods.

C'est moi, c'est tout.
Old 03-06-2006, 08:04 AM   #31
Hardware Hotshot

Send a message via MSN to stampinsweeney

I don't buy knock-offs, but you can get purses at other retail outlets that are VERY similar to the pricey brand name (that really means nothing other than that you had the money to buy an expensive handbag that will be out of style in 6 months). I received a Coach bag from the company I work for and so badly wanted the purse to match it. I found a match at Payless Shoes!!!! How crazy!

Don't get me wrong I think that there is something to be said for quality when you purchase. DH and I always try to purchase for quality and not price when we are looking for something that will be around (or we hope) for a long time. Perhaps we have to wait a bit longer to buy, but we get the quality we want.

By the time my Payless purchase falls apart I am going to want a new purse anyway. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by stampinsweeney; 03-06-2006 at 08:09 AM..