Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By jpmayo
  • 1 Post By eslkerry

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2009, 04:03 PM   #1
Stampin' Fool

Question Cleaning linoleum/vinyl floors. Frustrated

Hey everyone. I have just spend the last hour on my knees scrubbing the bathroom linoleum. For years I have squirted Simple Green or something like that and done a mop with those Aslett scrubby pads on the bottom but I don't feel they were doing a good job. And I was right. The groves and tiny lines in the vinyl were caked with gunk.

So I did a search and it says for these floors you should lay down a thin layer of ammonia, let set for 15 min. or so then scrub with a nylon brush. After that do the same with vinegar, the vinegar will neutralize any left over ammonia.

Since I don't keep ammonia on hand I just skipped ahead to the vinegar and figured it would clean up all the Simple Green that has been on there for years

I started this project today by using the Shark Steam Mop which does nothing imo. Then I scrubbed with a magic eraser and microfiber cloth. After still frustrated I did the search and did a vinegar wash and scrub. And now I am finishing with the steam mop. I figure it will help clean the vinegar off a little bit.

So I am just curious how the rest of you clean your vinyl floors. I have a huge kitchen/dining room area that I want to really clean and I don't really want to do it on my hands and knees but will if I have to.

I really feel I get a good work out and I am not done! lol
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 12-08-2009, 01:44 PM   #2
Insane Embellisher

Wow, I hate washing floors. My daughter is in a wheelchair so I don't worry about them much. I just bought the Vileda mop and this worked great with just Pinesol and hot water. Don't work too hard and hurt yourself.

Lorri
Old 12-08-2009, 02:01 PM   #3
Insane Embellisher

I used to scrub my kitchen floor each night after dinner on my hands and knees using a mild detergent and a stiff scrub brush. It was good exercise, my floor looked great, and it kept me from having to deal with my then husband....at least for a little while.
Old 12-09-2009, 05:38 AM   #4
Die Cut Diva

Send a message via MSN to wenchie

This is a primary source angst in my life. My floors are also impossible to clean. The linoleum is riddled with tiny divots!!! Only a man could have thought this was a good idea because a woman would NEVER have allowed such a serious design flaw.

I have spent countless hours on my hands and knees, schlepping a pail of water/ammonia along and hand scrubbing with a bristle brush. The floors look fantastic once they're done, but by God . . . . they look as if they weren't done at all the next day!!!

Those evil little divots are veritable magnets to EVERY stupid little micro dust particle in the world!

I've even tried waxing over the linoleum an an attempt to fill up the divots and avoid getting on my hands and knees again to no avail. I swear, my flooring is on a mission to destroy me! I think it has little linoleum gremlins that come out at night and remove the wax from the divots but leave all the rest there! Thus making the divots even deeper and trapping greater amounts of dirt!

I truly give up on this. I have not found the silver bullet solution yet, except to just rip it out and use something more agreeable. *sigh*
Old 12-09-2009, 02:07 PM   #5
Stampin' Fool

You ladies crack me up!!! I totally 100% agree that it was a man who invented this stuff! I am dreaming of a house full of hard wood of some sort after I win the lottery of course. At least it is flat, no divits to collect dirt. Hard wood and throw rugs. Some day.....

Well, I am about to embark on the large area but my knees are still bruised from doing the bathroom. ugh! I think I will do kitchen on hands/knees but when it turns into dining I will use a swiffer wet cloth. It can't be all that bad. lol

oh, and yes, in my old house I would wax the floors every year trying to fill the holes and it didn't work! Go figure.
Old 12-09-2009, 02:14 PM   #6
Matboard Maniac

We have a Rainbow cleaning system. We use it for tile, wood and carpet. The shampooer for the carpet has a squeegee on the edge and it works GREAT for the linoleum. We have tile where we are now, but I used to have a HUGE linoleum floor and that's what we used on it. When finished, it's like brand new. Takes very little time and I just let the scrub brush work on it. Love my Rainbow. They are expensive, but soooooo worth it in the long run and come out cheaper than all that stuff...vacuums, mops, etc that people have to buy and replace often.

c.
Old 12-09-2009, 02:19 PM   #7
Stazon Splitcoast

I usually wash my kitchen floor on hands and knees too but ever once in a while I use a mop and some Mop And Glow... makes it look wonderful and I think it makes it alot easier to keep clean with just a broom...
Old 12-10-2009, 04:53 AM   #8
Die Cut Diva

Send a message via MSN to wenchie

OK, nice to know I'm not the only one who thought wax might solve the problem. My husband followed me around ranting about how it wouldn't work and it was ruining my knees. Funny how he wasn't offering to get down and dirty with me!

I also have a Rainbow system. I should try it on my floor. I never thought of it. What do you use for detergent?
Old 12-10-2009, 05:29 AM   #9
Stampin' Fool

when we had linoleum in our old house, i used a steam cleaner because of those dang blasted divots!!! i cursed those divots due to them just not getting clean enough to "look" clean. i say we tar and feather who ever invented linoelum....didnt someone say it was a man????? (gets the tar started.......)
Old 12-10-2009, 05:52 AM   #10
Matboard Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by wenchie View Post

I also have a Rainbow system. I should try it on my floor. I never thought of it. What do you use for detergent?
I use the Aquamate ( http://www.rainbowsystem.com/rainbow...c_aquamate.cfm ) with the little rubber, gray squeegee attached on the edge (you take that off for carpets). I empty the bowl and put water, mixed with the Rainbow floor cleaner that came with the Aquamate and now Shaklee Basic H (I have asthma and need no fumes from cleaners... http://www.passovercleaning.com/webpage.asp?id=53 ). I use Basic H to clean everything.

Side note off topic:
I hope that helps. Besides my regular cleaning of floors, I Rainbow my house from top to bottom once a month because of my asthma, so if anyone out there has children with asthma (or yourself) this is the BEST thing I've found to keep down dust.
Old 12-10-2009, 11:34 AM   #11
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
VSN Go to Girl
Pretty, Pretty Princess

wow....I have never even dreamed of getting on my hands and knees to clean anything and I didn't know people really did that, I am IMPRESSED and feeling mildly inadequate right now, lol!

I have linoleum/vinyl, or whatever it's called, floors and it's WHITE {huge mistake} with tiny black squares and my kitchen is about 14' x 14'...pretty big.

All I do about once a week is use a mop, hot water and Pinesol or Lysol stuff. It's "good enough" and probably dirty if I ever got down close enough to look at it but I really don't care enough to worry about it...maybe I should look closer some time? NAH!
DT Member @ Unity Stamp Company
tigerlily55 likes this post.
Old 12-10-2009, 01:07 PM   #12
Stampin' Fool

Hearing about the Rainbow system makes me think that maybe the steam cleaner I use on carperts would work on the linoleum. Hum....It is kind of messy but if I stay away from the cabinets it would work. I can scrub underneath on my own.
I just may try that the next time I need to do a deeper clean.
I should also do a wax, I suppose. It is such a pain though. Don't they say that you wouldn't lay it on thick? How how I would love to put an inch of that stuff on!!! lol
Old 12-10-2009, 01:41 PM   #13
Die Cut Diva

I have old, old flooring in our kitchen. Every six months or so, I strip the wax with ammonia, let dry, the apply 2-3 coats of polish. (Note: when using ammonia, use good ventilation! The fumes are strong. I open windows and turn ceiling fan on high.)

For weekly maintenance, I use a small amount of vinegar in warm water and clean with an old-fashioned cloth mop.

As needed, I will clean corners/crevices. I spray on some homemade cleaner (water, vinegar, lemon juice), let sit, then scrub with a Scum Buster. Time consuming but it's the only thing that works. I try not to stare at the corners too much or I'll go nuts! LOL!
Old 12-10-2009, 01:49 PM   #14
ajm
Insane Embellisher

Floors are my hubby's job. He uses a mop that I'm sure only pushes the dirt around, but I don't have to do them, so I say nothing.

I'm just saving up for wood floors throughout the house, we had wood in our old house and we miss them.

Ann
Old 12-10-2009, 02:25 PM   #15
Stampin' Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajm View Post
Floors are my hubby's job. He uses a mop that I'm sure only pushes the dirt around, but I don't have to do them, so I say nothing.

I'm just saving up for wood floors throughout the house, we had wood in our old house and we miss them.

Ann
Its funny because I tell people I want wood floors and they say "oh they are so cold", well all 3 of us are always in croc's or slippers so it doesn't matter. You are in Minnesota so you have the cold weather like we have - it has been under 20 degrees for a week now! Down into the single digits at night. So I am happy to hear someone else likes the idea
Old 12-10-2009, 03:07 PM   #16
Glitter Guru

I have had the Hoover FloorMate for 11 years now and I love it...it vacuums, scrubs and dries in one pass. Really you are suppose to vacuum first and sometime I do but that thing cleans my floor great. I now have ceramic and wood everywhere and I got that flooring because the Hoover FloorMate does both ceramic and wood. It is the best investment I have ever made.
Old 12-11-2009, 01:14 AM   #17
Compulsive Stamper

I found the answer about 15 years ago. Armstrong's "New Beginning" extra strength cleaner and wax remover. You pour on floor in a 3'x3' area and let it sit for 2-3 minutes and all the ground in dirt and wax just wipes away. You will be amazed. This takes the shine away and then you sponge on Armstrong's "Shinekeeper" floor polish and your floors look brand new!!!! I got my last bottles at Lowe's behind the flooring department, it wasn't with the regular cleaners.
Old 12-11-2009, 07:49 AM   #18
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadiecaity View Post
I found the answer about 15 years ago. Armstrong's "New Beginning" extra strength cleaner and wax remover. You pour on floor in a 3'x3' area and let it sit for 2-3 minutes and all the ground in dirt and wax just wipes away. You will be amazed. This takes the shine away and then you sponge on Armstrong's "Shinekeeper" floor polish and your floors look brand new!!!! I got my last bottles at Lowe's behind the flooring department, it wasn't with the regular cleaners.
This is good stuff. I have used it.

FWIW, I've discovered that Awesome cleaner (full strength) works just as well as Armstrong's wax remover. You can find it at the dollar store.
Old 12-11-2009, 09:45 PM   #19
Crimping Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by stamper1996 View Post
I have old, old flooring in our kitchen. Every six months or so, I strip the wax with ammonia, let dry, the apply 2-3 coats of polish. (Note: when using ammonia, use good ventilation! The fumes are strong. I open windows and turn ceiling fan on high.)

For weekly maintenance, I use a small amount of vinegar in warm water and clean with an old-fashioned cloth mop.

As needed, I will clean corners/crevices. I spray on some homemade cleaner (water, vinegar, lemon juice), let sit, then scrub with a Scum Buster. Time consuming but it's the only thing that works. I try not to stare at the corners too much or I'll go nuts! LOL!

I worked as a janitor when I was in High School and Ammonia is what we used to strip the floors. And YES..."USE GOOD VENTILATION!!"
Old 12-12-2009, 07:35 PM   #20
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by stamper1996 View Post
This is good stuff. I have used it.

FWIW, I've discovered that Awesome cleaner (full strength) works just as well as Armstrong's wax remover. You can find it at the dollar store.

Awesome cleaner works great, but again lots of ventilation! I clean houses and used awesome cleaner everyday for about six months and I started having breathing problems. The only new product I had been using was the awesome, so I quit using it and sure enough things improved greatly and soon I was fine. I miss using it, because it really did work.
Old 12-13-2009, 06:46 AM   #21
Matboard Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota Stamper View Post
Awesome cleaner works great, but again lots of ventilation! I clean houses and used awesome cleaner everyday for about six months and I started having breathing problems. The only new product I had been using was the awesome, so I quit using it and sure enough things improved greatly and soon I was fine. I miss using it, because it really did work.
And that's why I had to get a Rainbow. No fumes.
Old 12-13-2009, 09:40 AM   #22
Rubber Obsessor

Default floors linolium

If you have build up like that, I too would use the Ammonia with a little dish soap let it sit for 1/2 hr. I use vinegar and a drop or so of dish soap for weekly cleaning. And if they need some shine there is a product that I use to use that does not build up. I think it is called Brite. Clean and shine just builds up. At all cost try to avoid anything that builds up. And if is the bathroom and there is hairspray build up i have heard vinegar and a little shampoo that is for stripping the hair also ammonia would work just as well. in example chlorine and hair products. I would love to try a steam mop. The mop I use is a Liberman mop and i have for years, its the best. good luck
Old 12-13-2009, 09:42 AM   #23
Rubber Obsessor

Default also

you will never need ammonia if you don't have build up of any other product.
Old 12-14-2009, 12:16 PM   #24
Die Cut Diva

I just want to say, after reading this thread, it made me realize I hadn't stripped and waxed my floor in a long time! So I redid it--time consuming but now it looks shiny and clean again!
Old 01-01-2010, 08:39 PM   #25
Mad Swapper

I just take my glasses off. LOL
Rainsong likes this post.
Old 10-11-2014, 02:30 AM   #26
Cardstock Collector

I prefer to clean my vinyl floor at every evening. I use a vacuum cleaner to clean dust, then warm water or cleaning mops. Sometimes i also use soapy water. This provides good cleaning results to me.