Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2012, 07:23 PM   #1
Stampin' Fool

Default Christmas traditions, etc???

This is my son's first Christmas as I was just wondering what special things you all have done for your little one's first Christmas and what holiday traditions you have started!
Thanks!
Lauri
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 12-21-2012, 01:36 AM   #2
Stazon Splitcoast

I'll tell you one to avoid...

My sister bought for my son's first Christmas a 6' long stocking that stretched. It was a challenge to fill that every year (yes, we made it a tradition) and I was glad to turn it over to his wife last year when he got married. She actually asked for it. I can't wait to see if it's out this year.

So, the advice...don't buy (or accept as a gift LOL) a 6' Christmas stocking!!!

Enjoy your son's first Christmas, Lauri. They go by all too quickly.
Old 12-21-2012, 06:33 AM   #3
Inking Addict

When my oldest grand nephew was born I started buying him a Christmas ornament every year and put the date on it, and I continued the tradition with his brothers. And by some miracle the bin holding all their ornaments did survive the fire at my nieces apartment building earlier this year.
Old 12-21-2012, 01:11 PM   #4
Gallery Gazer

I also buy my kids an ornament every year and just realized my oldest is a college freshman and should I stop now? Haven't bought her one yet, LOL!

One of our favorite family traditions is to camp out in the living room in front of the Christmas tree one night before Christmas (NOT Christmas Eve!) We read kids' Christmas books and as they got older, played board games and re-read the most favorite Christmas books every year. They usually get to open their ornament present from us this night, or it is also fun to give them pajama's that they get to open and wear on this night, too! Either or both! They love this tradition and even my college freshman will join us (although she usually asks to get to sleep on the couch!) Now that we are older, we use blow up air mattresses.

Another tradition that a friend started for Christmas. Our second child received a fancy Italian beginner nativity set at his birth, it just had the manger, Mary, Joseph, angel and baby Jesus. We buy him an addition to his set every Christmas, like a shepherd, sheep, wise man, camel, etc. every year at Christmas to complete his set. When his older sister got to be about 8 years old, she asked for one, too, so we are playing catch up with hers to get everything complete! This year one child asked for a dog and one for a set of chickens, LOL!
Old 12-23-2012, 08:45 AM   #5
Insane Embellisher

I also bought a Christmas ornament each year for both my children. My daughter says they are should be geared to older people as sons and daughters do age (she is 27) but my son would be very sad if I did not get him an ornament each year, this year he gets two. lol. We also made a point to watch Christmas shows as a family. We picked a night and went out to see the lights around town. I did a day of baking with them. It was just a season of family and cuddling.

Lorri
Old 12-24-2012, 04:09 AM   #6
Glitter Queen

We have elves that visit every year starting Dec. 1st. Not elf on the shelf. Ours came from ELF MAGIC - Santa's Magic Elves, Elf Dolls. I personally like these much better than elf on the shelf. The kids are much older now but every year they really look forward to this. We also drive around on a night a few days before Christmas and look at Christmas lights.
Old 12-24-2012, 09:58 AM   #7
Die Cut Diva

I have a Christmas journal and I write a few Christmas memories in it, it is fun to read over it as the years go by.

Each year my boys and I pick an ornament for my husband.

We make a birthday cake for Jesus and we even sing to Him.

Before we open our gifts we read the Christmas story from the Bible.

After the Christmas eve service we drive around town and look at lights.
and listen to Christmas music.

Okay this doesn't have anything to do with Christmas exactly, but I have a few blank books that I write special memories and the cute things my kids say and do. I don't worry about spelling or chronological order, I just write them as I think of them. At the top of the page I write the date, so I always know a little of the time frame. But it is amazing what you'll forget, but if you write them down these special minutes are treasures you don't forget.

My kids are teenagers now and it is true what they say, the days are long but the years are short.
Old 12-28-2012, 05:32 PM   #8
Crimping Master

One thing I know some people do, and I wish I'd started, was getting Christamas pajamas every year. It's cute to have everyone in their new Christmas Jammie's.
Old 12-29-2012, 09:21 AM   #9
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii

I forgot to post....Every morning on the 24th. Before my children awake, A Present is left in their room. All ways the same, a new pair of slippers to wear the whole day and of course for the whole year, till next Christmas.

They are now 15 and 13. My boy is 13 and asked me on the 23rd if he was still receiving a new pair of slippers this year, because he really enjoyed receiving them!

Made me Smile!

"The quickest way for a parent to get a child's attention is to sit down and look comfortable.

Practice safe eating - always use condiments.
Old 12-30-2012, 09:07 AM   #10
Watercolor Wizard

When my sons were little, We took them to the dollar store to pick out presents for each other, me and DH, their grandparents, aunts, uncles (and cousins as they were born). They were allowed to make the choices themselves We made a big deal of them giving out their gifts on Christmas Eve. I wanted to teach them that giving is just as much fun as receiving. Now that they are in their 20's , I know that I was successful. They really love buying gifts for everyone (and they no longer have to buy them in the dollar store)
Old 01-02-2013, 09:47 AM   #11
Die Cut Diva

Our family does the Christmas pickle (German tradition). An adult hides it in the tree and the first child to find it gets a small gift. Even the older kids started looking for it this year!
Old 01-03-2013, 10:21 PM   #12
Inking Addict

how about