Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2012, 11:25 AM   #1
Crimping Master

Heart Can't find a job :(

I've had a horrible year. Last November I lost the centre part of my vision- with the help of technology I can see to read and write, so my biggest hinder is not driving. I'm two semesters away from two degrees but I had to wait a year to reapply back in to university because of what happened. My degrees and experience are all in justice and social services.

In August I miscarried twins, which was our third miscarriage. We moved in September to a small town in BC. We love it here, but still don't know a lot of people.

I can't drive, so I spend most of my time alone at home. I have sent out my resume and the people whom I talk with say I have great qualifications but they are simply not hiring. I am trying to volunteer but a lot of the places don't take volunteers.

If I could drive, I would go clean houses or something. If I could see I would do retail.

I used to do SU and am thinking about that again since there isn't a demo here.

Is there anything else I can do? I have had two meetings with an employment agency but yet again, no one in my field is hiring. I need some form of an income, not to pay the bills but just enough to gain some independence, you know?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 11-02-2012, 06:34 AM   #2
SCS Swap Moderator

(((HUGS))) to you!

Have you looked into work from home jobs, like customer service reps or data entry stuff?
Old 11-03-2012, 09:42 PM   #3
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Sorry to hear of this Heather. Perhaps doing SU again would be good for you. I remember you were really happy doing stamping, and your cards were very nice. Maybe you could make cards for a store, or have a craft time at your house to meet some new friends. You could do a craft day even if you are not selling anything just a fee for coming. I used to be in a craft thing like that and never thought it was odd to pay to go out for the day at a ladies house I didnt really know. She shared her stamps though. I was in it to meet some ppl, which was successful(for myself and her and others!) There are other ppl in your area that would love to meet a new friend. Whenever we moved I always looked for open groups in the crafting area, cause I rarely meet a stamper I don't like
Old 11-05-2012, 05:37 PM   #4
Stampin' Fool

Heather, I used to read your posts on the demo side all the time when you were over there! I agree with Limi, SU did seem to be a real passion for you and your cards are beautiful. Maybe it would be a good idea to consider signing back up?

I see you're in Canada, so I don't know if things are different up there, but here in the U.S. our schools use "aides" or "para professionals" in the schools. Many of them are assigned to and assist individual students who have a disability or a behavior problem, such as autism. Other aides make copies, do recess and lunch duty, laminate materials, etc. There is no special degree required, although they seem to choose people who have a college degree over those who don't in our area. I would think that having someone like you (with a disability) would be very inspiring for the children.

My mother was an aide for over 10 years and loved it. She felt like she was doing something very worthwhile, but it was pretty low-stress and it enabled her to work while we were in school and be home when we got out for the day and over the summers when there was no class. If you could get into a neighborhood school within walking distance of your home that would be even better...no need for a ride to work unless the weather was really awful.

Best of luck to you. You have dealt with a lot, but you are still so upbeat. That in itself is a real gift that sets you apart from so many others.

Christine
Old 11-06-2012, 09:16 PM   #5
Proud Fan Club Member

Heather you have surely had bad luck (for lack of a better word) for the last year. I agree that even though you have been through all of this you still seem upbeat. I just want you to know there are people who care that you are hurting. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. Keep your chin up because things are bound to get better.
Old 11-21-2012, 01:34 PM   #6
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

I agree ... get back into SU!
How are your typing skills? Could you do dictation? Or reception? If you're not concerned about money ... but more about independence and getting out ... then maybe a secretarial type job might work?

With technology, is there something you could do at the library? OR maybe start by volunteering at a school ... and that would help you meet people ... which may lead to jobs ... and knowing people will be great when you restart your SU! career.