Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2014, 10:08 AM   #1
Embossing Fanatic

Exclamation Canada Anti Spam Legislation HELP!

July 1 2014 Canada's Anti Spam Legislation ( CASL) goes into effect.

I didn't realize that my email RSS subscription program for my papercrafting blog may or may not be in compliance with CASL ( which is FeedBurner). The information floating on the internet and on Canada's government website is so vague and confusing. Does anyone know of sites or forums in the papercrafting world that are discussing these issues? This new bill affects all of us who are in small business or are hobby sellers. Anyone sending emails/social messages of a commercial nature from any country to any person on a Canadian computer could be in violation and prosecuted if you cannot prove you have expressed consent to send that message to that individual. It is scary! And I am surprised it isn't being discussed more in crafting circles! I have so many questions that aren't being answered by searching the net. What about Design Team members of a business promoting contests, sales, showing cards with links to the products and THEY have email subscribers for their blogs who could be Canadian? Or what about winners of challenge blogs? Will the provider of a prize have to get expressed consent from the winner they are emailing before they can give them info/links/ gift certificate codes for their winnings? I don't want to freak anyone out but this has me quite concerned! Thanks for any info anyone can provide.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 06-30-2014, 02:32 PM   #2
Rubber Obsessor

Would it not be that if someone has become afollower of your blog or entered a competition on your blog they have given you permission to contact them in the fact that they left a return email for you to contact them in the first place. Therefore they are not receiving spam.
Different to buying a mailing list I would think.
Only difference to protect yourself would be to add a permission section onto first contact information. If they are placing an order and supplying email address ask if they wish to receive information of new releases or competitions etc. if they dont select yes then dont add them to your data base.
Old 06-30-2014, 10:59 PM   #3
Rubber Obsessor

Yep, if they are subscribing I can't see a violation but I agree with aihelen that maybe you could have a permissions button or a couple of sentences on a disclaimer if they subscribe. Our saying at my work is " Cover thy butt....." lol I am interested to find out how this all turns out.
Old 07-01-2014, 05:17 AM   #4
Embossing Fanatic

Thank you for replying. Basically, what you think covers you does not necessarily.

I use Feedburner for email subscribers that had a double opt-in procedure ( capcha code, submit button and an activation sent via email ( also had the unsub link in every email sent out). That apparently is not enough. You must have your name, actual address and/or phone#, a way to email you with the info at the bottom of newsletters and you MUST have a way to unsubscribe there as well. Those are the only people who I would contact via email unless it is replies to customers and also to challenge winners. Feedburner won't let me edit my contact info OR give me an option to allow subscribers to re-opt in. Feedburner isn't being updated by Google anymore so I have had to find a new service. You also need to have a notice about the possible commercial nature of your newsletter before getting expressed consent.

I have been reading more. Apparently, as of today, I can no longer email my current subscribers to ask them for expressed consent ( opt in again ). It is illegal. I will have to shut down my service and lose 1500 subscribers. I quickly set up a new service and attempted to get an update notice out last night with the new sign up form.

You can't send any promotional language via Twitter ( unless you have some sort of weird short URL pointing to your contact info,etc . if a Canadian reads it - zing! ... applies also to messaging via SMS and via all social media. It's crazy. Everyone doing business around the globe needs to take this seriously. I am not sure about HOW the Canadian spam police are regulating this.. is it via complaints? Are they spying Canadian inboxes for suspicious language? Other countries have anti-spam rules in place as well but apparently this new Canadian one is the worst and most far reaching.

Did I mention fines of up to $1 million?? It's psycho.