Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2012, 04:30 PM   #1
Kookie Creator

Smile Can the iPad help you set up or run your small business?

Hi!

I'm thinking about buying an iPad mainly to help me set up and run a small online business selling handmade jewelry. I'll be running it from home on a part time basis in my spare time.

As I've never had an iPad before, it would be helpful to find out how you used it for your business. Which apps do you recommend?

I'll be trading on a very small scale - probably from a simple website with a link to my future Etsy shop - but, at the same time, I want to look professional. I also intend to sell at work and my friends' office. I want to start small and gradually grow my business (if feasible).

Examples of the tasks I will be doing include brainstorming business ideas, project management, market research, book keeping, creating a website, social media, producing presentations and online brochures, etc.

Looking forward to reading your advice on this!

Thanks in advance!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 08-29-2012, 09:05 PM   #2
Polyshrink Goddess

I bought an iPad thinking I could use something similar to MS word and excel on it, but it did not pan out. I manage properties and the its portability was a big plus for me. I didn't do enough research before I bought it, so I sort of wasted my money. The spreadsheet is cumbersome to work with, not close to the caliber of excel. I think it might be good to show pictures of your jewelry, but as far as anything "business-y", I have not found it useful. I will keep an eye on this thread and see if anyone has come up with ideas.
Old 08-29-2012, 09:33 PM   #3
Embossing Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to MegsLeigh Send a message via MSN to MegsLeigh Send a message via Skype™ to MegsLeigh

The two biggest assets I've had on the iPad was using Square to run transactions (you can request a free card reader from them). PayPal has its own card reader now as well. The other one is using Kashoo to maintain the books. I can do both from the iPad.

Brainstorming ideas, project management and other similar ideas go into Evernote, which is like a huge digital filing cabinet that can pull stuff from pretty much any machine you're using. This is a great guide on how to use it. I use Tweetbot for Twitter. There's now a Pinterest app for the iPad as well. If you're comfortable with databases, there's always Bento for iPad, but I rarely use it.

I hope this helps you out some!
Old 09-21-2012, 09:38 AM   #4
Kookie Creator

Luvallthisstampin and MegsLeigh, many thanks for your replies and very helpful advice!

Luvallthisstampin
Sorry you didnít find the iPad and its apps useful to your business. Portability is a big plus for me too and I need to do a lot of research on how to use the iPad to present a catalog and take card payment. Feeling very overwhelmed at the moment!

MegsLeigh
Iíve only started using Evernote and Iím also finding it very useful to keep all my pieces of information on its folders. Will definitely read the guide you suggested in greater detail to see what I can do with this app. Iíve been quite busy with work the past few weeks and havenít had any time to research Square, PayPal, Bento and Kashoo yet.

Have you ever used an app that allows you to show your products AND take card payment as well? Iíve seen some on the internet, but they charge a lot, which would not suit the small scale of my future business.

Thanks once again, Girls!