Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2010, 09:21 AM   #1
Hardware Hotshot

Default Can I sub baking powder for cream of tartar?

I want to make snickerdoodles, and it calls for both baking soda and cream of tartar. The cookbook has a substitution list in the back that says if you don't have enough BAKING SODA you can use half baking soda and half cream of tartar. But what to use if you don't have cream of tartar? I was thinking baking powder. I cut back on the baking soda in my chocolate chip cookies and use equal parts baking powder and soda. Could that work?
Old 02-06-2010, 09:49 AM   #2
Insane Embellisher

I wouldn't gurantee it....I remember in Home Economics in junior high, I substituted baking powder for baking soda (or vice versa) accidently, and ended up with the worst biscuits EVER ! There's something about the way they react in the recipe that changes things. Best bet is to run to the grocery store and get what the recipe calls for.

StampinOnThePrairie my poor little bare bones blog - but come say Hi !
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 02-06-2010, 09:58 AM   #3
Hardware Hotshot

Yeah, that's kinda what I think. I am having a wave of nausea anyway, so I will wait until after I go to the store.
Thanks!
Old 02-06-2010, 10:11 AM   #4
Die Cut Diva

A quick Google search yields this:

http://whatscookingamerica.net/Q-A/CreamTartar.htm

Cream of Tartar Substitution - The answer is, there is not a good substitution. If cream of tartar is used along with baking soda in a cake or cookie recipe, omit both and use baking powder instead. If it calls for baking soda and cream of tarter, I would just use baking powder.

Normally, when cream of tartar is used in a cookie, it is used together with baking soda. The two of them combined work like double-acting baking powder. When substituting for cream of tartar, you must also substitute for the baking soda. If your recipe calls for baking soda and cream of tarter, I would just use baking powder.

One teaspoon baking powder is equivalent to 1/4 teaspoon baking soda plus 5/8 teaspoon cream of tartar. If there is additional baking soda that does not fit into the equation, simply add it to the batter.

Remember - When making substitutions in baking, you may end up with a somewhat different product. The taste, moisture content, texture and weight of a product can be affected by changing ingredients.
Old 02-06-2010, 03:20 PM   #5
Hardware Hotshot

It worked!! I didn't have cream of tartar, so I used the same amount specified of baking powder. Also, I was making snickerdoodle cookies, and I was well into making the dough when I realized I had no vanilla either. Soooo...I used half of the amount specified for vanilla, and used maple extract instead. It smells really mapley, but it doesn't taste mapley at all. They are just good snickerdoodles!
So there...if you ever find a recipe that calls for cream of tartar and you don't have it, chances are good that baking powder will work just fine!
Old 02-07-2010, 12:20 AM   #6
Forum Fanatic

Glad it worked. I have a cornbread recipe that calls for it and it doesn't come out as good without it. Not completely inedible but just not very good. So now I make sure I always have cream of tartar on hand (for that and snickerdoodles lol)

my blog -- my recipes ♥ Victoria's Avon Walk for Breast Cancer site ♥
Old 02-07-2010, 12:54 PM   #7
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by katestamps716 View Post

Cream of Tartar Substitution - The answer is, there is not a good substitution. If cream of tartar is used along with baking soda in a cake or cookie recipe, omit both and use baking powder instead. If it calls for baking soda and cream of tarter, I would just use baking powder.

Normally, when cream of tartar is used in a cookie, it is used together with baking soda. The two of them combined work like double-acting baking powder. When substituting for cream of tartar, you must also substitute for the baking soda. If your recipe calls for baking soda and cream of tarter, I would just use baking powder.

One teaspoon baking powder is equivalent to 1/4 teaspoon baking soda plus 5/8 teaspoon cream of tartar. If there is additional baking soda that does not fit into the equation, simply add it to the batter.

Remember - When making substitutions in baking, you may end up with a somewhat different product. The taste, moisture content, texture and weight of a product can be affected by changing ingredients.
Thanks for that! I'll remember that the next time I don't have cream of tartar, because next time it might not work out as well!
Old 02-07-2010, 01:56 PM   #8
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by katestamps716 View Post

I used this substitution myself. We were in England for several weeks a couple of summers ago, and I found myself wanting to make snickerdoodles. If they sell cream of tartar in British stores, I certainly couldn't find it! My cookies came out just great with the substitution, though.

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing it is stupid. - Albert Einstein