Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2008, 08:00 AM   #1
Watercolor Wizard

Default Best green/environmental tips. . . .

With the diverse group SCS has, I was wondering what everyone would say is their favorite 'green' tip for the environment.

Anything from steps that make a big difference. . . . to something that was a lot easier to do than you expected. . . . to products you like. . . . to websites you found helpful. . . . anything you think someone else might find helpful!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 04-07-2008, 08:19 AM   #2
Impoverished Gymnastics Mom

Send a message via AIM to charlalei

Right now the thread above you is about bringing canvas bags to use at the grocery rather than using plastic. So that's my contribution.
Old 04-07-2008, 09:00 AM   #3
Directionally Challenged Parrothead

We have recycling in our city, but also take hazardous waste they won't pick up at the curb (ie used oil from the cars, batteries, large trash) to the transfer station at the local dump for proper disposal. We started a vegetable garden this year so I'm learning to compost. Also we're in second year of pretty bad drought here, so we're on a list with the city to get a rainwater barrel--the gutters drain into them and we can use the water (if any rain ever falls) to water the yard during outdoor watering bans. We've replaced almost all the bulbs in our house with CFs.

Outside the house, we drive cars that get 27 & 34 mpg on the highway and use the higher mileage car for most trips unless we're bringing the dogs or need to haul canoe or gear. I took the bus to work until I started telecommuting from home. When I worked at the office, I tried to bring my lunch in plastic containers I could take home and wash instead of buying food and pitching the styrofoam boxes, and brought my own coffee mug and water cup so I wasn't always pitching stuff. On the rare days I did get food in takeout box, I'd take the styrofoam or plastic home and recycle it.

Some of the stuff (trips to transfer station, composting) can be a bit of a pain, other stuff (CF bulbs, bringing our own bags, separating the recycling) is really easy, especially once it becomes a habit. DH whined a bit at first about marrying a dang tree-hugging hippie but now he badgers our friends about trying to be greener... hehehehehe... so I think I've converted him!

I figure if we each do something small--bring our own mug to the coffee place, use cloth bags, switch to CF bulbs--whatever we can--it adds up to a lot.
Old 04-07-2008, 09:05 AM   #4
Directionally Challenged Parrothead

PS the mugs from the Splitcoast store ROCK if you want to BYOM.

http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/store/items/C63

(and they are good for the web site as well as the environment, lol!).
Old 04-07-2008, 09:08 AM   #5
Diversified Multicultural Postmodern Deconstructionist Philogian

http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/fo...ad.php?t=78419

Couple years old, but you might find it of value.

Rainsong
Old 04-07-2008, 09:20 AM   #6
Stazon Splitcoast

Something that I'm doing is a bit harder, but worth it in my opinion.

I am getting rid of all the phosphate based cleaners. These phosphates go out in the sewer, get into our rivers and lakes and change the environment for all the living things there. I am always reminded of this when we can't go to a nice lake nearby come August, because of the bad algae blooms - these happen because of phosphates. I found a detergent that I love - yes more expensive - but I think it works better than Tide, etc. I also wash everything that I can in cold water. Every little bit helps!

I would pick things that seem "easy" for you to do first! That way it doesn't seem like a big deal to husband/others who aren't on board.
Old 04-07-2008, 01:20 PM   #7
Crimping Master

Good question!

We have lights on timers. We have the thermostats programmatically controlled - the temps are set back during the day when no one is home and so on...

We recycle - very easy since we have 2 trash cans in the kitchen, one for trash and one for recyclable goods.

Just recently switched to "green" light bulbs in several lamps.
Old 04-07-2008, 01:45 PM   #8
Die Cut Diva

Here is what I do:

Recycle - if my weekly recycler doesn't take it, I have a recycling center 2 miles away that has more options for the materials.

Green lightbulbs - I think every lamp in my house has them now

Using more earth friendly cleaners - white vinegar, baking soda, etc. (saves $$ too)

I am all about trying to repurpose, recycle, give away, donate stuff whenever possible.

Anne
Old 04-07-2008, 01:55 PM   #9
Die Cut Diva

Take my own bags to the grocery store.
Donate anything we don't want & that may be useful to someone else.
Recycle
NEVER let my car idle
Turn things off when not in use
Catch rain water, when I can, & put on outside plants Pour water on house plants instead of down the drain
Turn off dishwasher when it gets to the dry cycle so it can just air dry
My DS is in 2nd grade & is in the new Recycle (aka Little Green) Club @ school. So he is learning @ an early age. The club is taking paper board boxes (cereal, crackers, tissue, etc.) and then taking paper that is used on 1 side only & is making note books. This summer the notebooks will be sold @ the local Gardner's Market & the $ will be donated to animal shelters. It is amazing how much paper I have been able to give them.
Old 04-07-2008, 01:58 PM   #10
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator
Band Mom

My 3rd grader always takes his lunch to school, and I've been using and washing and reusing the same Tupperware sandwich containers for him since he started preschool. Instead of buying the small individual serving size bags of Goldfish crackers, I buy a larger package and put some of the crackers in a reusable container for him. Rather than buying a package of 4 Jello cups for $1.50 or so (I think that's what they cost the last time I looked at them), I buy a box of Jello (about 60 cents), mix it up and pour it into the reusable containers to gel.

We compost, too. I'll admit I'm not the best at getting the right mix of "greens" and "browns", but it keeps a lot of grass clippings and kitchen waste (fruits and veggies that stay in the fridge past their prime; the vines from grapes, end slices of bread, etc.) out of the landfills. I shred some of our newspapers to add to it, too.

Last Saturday hubby and I emptied the compost bin and he tilled the compost into what's going to be our vegetable garden. We're not planning to grow a whole lot - peas, lettuce, snaps, butterbeans, a few pepper plants, and hopefully some strawberries. What we can't eat when it's ripe, I'll freeze or share with neighbors and family. But it'll keep us from having to buy as much produce that's trucked in to our state from warmer climates.

I've just started getting into using reusable grocery bags. I'm pretty careful about not leaving lights, the TV, etc. on when nobody's in the room, and my kids are getting better about that, too.
Old 04-07-2008, 01:59 PM   #11
Die Cut Diva

Default ? for you

To those who use "green " light bulbs. I'm not sure what these are. Please explain. I have recently heard that all the light bulbs that are supposed to last so much longer & use less electricity...are thees the green bulbs? Anyway, I heard that if they break they are VERY harmful to the environment. Not to criticize. I have not yet done my homework on them. Just wanting to mention what I heard so you can be informed & make your own decisions. Also, I am considering going green, this way. But want more details, first.
Old 04-07-2008, 02:03 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxiTam View Post
To those who use "green " light bulbs. I'm not sure what these are. Please explain. I have recently heard that all the light bulbs that are supposed to last so much longer & use less electricity...are thees the green bulbs? Anyway, I heard that if they break they are VERY harmful to the environment. Not to criticize. I have not yet done my homework on them. Just wanting to mention what I heard so you can be informed & make your own decisions. Also, I am considering going green, this way. But want more details, first.
The CFL lightbulbs have a minimal amount of mercury in them, less than what is found in a thermometer.

They are spiral shaped bulbs and you can get them for almost any application in your home. CFLs do last longer and use much less electricity. They cost more than incandescent lights but make up for it in the electric savings and length of use.

Rainsong
Old 04-07-2008, 02:10 PM   #13
Die Cut Diva

In the Current Events forum I just saw a thread titled something like, Recycling Spin-off. Ideas for Recycling. Or something like that. I haven't had time to check it out but it may have some more ideas for all of us.

Thanks, Rainsong. I need to look into this option.
Old 04-07-2008, 02:15 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxiTam View Post
In the Current Events forum I just saw a thread titled something like, Recycling Spin-off. Ideas for Recycling. Or something like that. I haven't had time to check it out but it may have some more ideas for all of us.

Thanks, Rainsong. I need to look into this option.
Yes, I bumped the thread up for Holly before I realized it was in CE instead of ECC. I posted a link further up this thread.

Rainsong
Old 04-07-2008, 03:27 PM   #15
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainsong View Post
Yes, I bumped the thread up for Holly before I realized it was in CE instead of ECC. I posted a link further up this thread.

Rainsong
You are always so on top of things! Me, on the other hand, I saw your post on here & thought "I'll have to check that out for more ideas." I remembered that for about 3 seconds, I guess. So, thanks.

Something else I have been doing. DH & I each take a yogurt a day to work, so instead of buying the individual servings I buy a big container & we put it in reusable containers. Same thing for raisins. Now if I could just break DH of the habit of putting his baby carrots, etc. in baggies. He still forgets to use the containers that we can reuse. He also still has to have a "hard" copy of bills, etc. Can't convince him to go paperless, YET.
Old 04-08-2008, 06:27 AM   #16
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
The CFL lightbulbs have a minimal amount of mercury in them, less than what is found in a thermometer.

Rainsong
I couldn't let this pass without pointing out the faulty logic here. Nothing against you, Rainsong, but I hear this argument a lot and it just doesn't make sense.

The typical household has only 1 mercury thermometer and the only reason they would dispose of it is if it has broken. So they may own 2-3 over their life time. Local governments sponsored "thermometer exchanges" several years back to get the mercury out of homes and keep it out of our landfills. They were concerned about what a couple of thermometers per household would do.

CFLs contain less, but we have many many more in each household. My house (by estimation) has about 100 bulbs and I'm sure that's not uncommon. Not only that, but they do burn out and must be disposed of. If I replaced all bulbs in my house with CFLs every 5 years, I'd be disposing of over 1000 in my life time, more if I were younger when I started using CFLs.

There is no proper disposal system in place at this time, so guess where they are going? Into the dump, where they will break and spill their mercury.

I have replaced 2 of the bulbs in our house with CFLs because they burn out frequently, but when I found out I can't just throw them away, I looked into what I was supposed to do with them. I have to buy and disposal box from my city ($2) and then call the city for a special hazardous materials pick up, of which I only get 2 per year. I won't be replacing any more bulbs with CFLs until there is a reasonable way of disposing of these without putting mercury in the landfills.
Old 04-08-2008, 06:35 AM   #17
Mad Swapper

What we do:
- eat a vegetarian diet, with as much organic and local food as possible.
- try to buy as much local as possible; our CSA farm share is great for this.
- recycle a lot, and buy as few pre-packaged goods as possible.
- for our house: new windows, new furnace, extra insulation, low-watt lightbulbs.
- use primarily cloth diapers, breastfeed, and not buy prepackaged baby foods.
- compost food scraps and yard debris
- drive only when necessary, and take the smallest car possible (ie. my husband tries to take my Honda Civic to work).
Old 04-08-2008, 07:14 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by weederberries View Post
I couldn't let this pass without pointing out the faulty logic here. Nothing against you, Rainsong, but I hear this argument a lot and it just doesn't make sense.

The typical household has only 1 mercury thermometer and the only reason they would dispose of it is if it has broken. So they may own 2-3 over their life time. Local governments sponsored "thermometer exchanges" several years back to get the mercury out of homes and keep it out of our landfills. They were concerned about what a couple of thermometers per household would do.

CFLs contain less, but we have many many more in each household. My house (by estimation) has about 100 bulbs and I'm sure that's not uncommon. Not only that, but they do burn out and must be disposed of. If I replaced all bulbs in my house with CFLs every 5 years, I'd be disposing of over 1000 in my life time, more if I were younger when I started using CFLs.

There is no proper disposal system in place at this time, so guess where they are going? Into the dump, where they will break and spill their mercury.

I have replaced 2 of the bulbs in our house with CFLs because they burn out frequently, but when I found out I can't just throw them away, I looked into what I was supposed to do with them. I have to buy and disposal box from my city ($2) and then call the city for a special hazardous materials pick up, of which I only get 2 per year. I won't be replacing any more bulbs with CFLs until there is a reasonable way of disposing of these without putting mercury in the landfills.
The question arises--how often do you break a lightbulb?

I can think of one time in thirty years when we broke a bulb.

For more information, try this link:
http://www.energystar.gov/ia/partner...et_Mercury.pdf

Rainsong
Old 04-08-2008, 08:55 AM   #19
Hardware Hotshot

I take my own bags made of recycled material that I bought at cub foods to Cub when I buy groceries there.

In the last 4.5 yrs (when we purchased this house) we have bought Energy star appliances only. Water Heater, Freezer, Furnace, Central Air and HE front load washer and dryer.

We have the new light bulbs in my house where they fit. We are currently switching over several fixtures that have small ends like Christmas bulbs and a few of the large flourescent bulbs in our basement.

I have a garden and go to the local farmers market when I can. I also buy meat in bulk from a local meat market.

I garage sale often and have one every other year. I also go to thrift stores and donate to them. I also used once upon a child a lot when my children were smaller.

We donate our aluminum to our local Boy Scout troop. And recycle weekly at the curbside all plastic with a neck and shoulders, cardboard, class and paper.

I use plastic bags I do get as garbage bags in the bathroom, laundry room and bedrooms as those rooms have small cans.

I am allergic to bleach and have used natural cleaners for years. Target has recently started carrying a brand called Greenworks that I like. It is a Clorox company. And Seventh Generation liquid detergent also found at Target is HE compatible and petroleum free. I just started with this one though so I don't know how it holds up over time. These are finally price comparable to brands that have been on the market for years.

Old 04-08-2008, 09:30 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanaf View Post
I use plastic bags I do get as garbage bags in the bathroom, laundry room and bedrooms as those rooms have small cans.
I can see using a plastic liner in the bathroom if you are still in your reproductive years or have small children, but why in bedrooms or laundry rooms? What does one throw away in either of those rooms which is icky-sticky-messy?

Took me a while, but I finally talked my husband out of lining those trash cans. When garbage day arrives, we empty all waste cans into the kitchen trash which then gets placed in garbage cans for pick-up.

Rainsong
Old 04-08-2008, 09:51 AM   #21
Hardware Hotshot

Well I have cats who eat in the laundry room and often empty their stomaches there too. So a liner is necessary in that room. That and I hate when dryer lint gets damp it seems to stick to things.

Bathroom liner is a necessity still and I would use one there anyway due to guests and I don't really want to dig Q-tips out by hand.

My kids (5 and 7) are prone to throw sticky things away in their rooms and my DH is OCD about things especially tissues. Therefore liners.

Old 04-08-2008, 09:52 AM   #22
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Just Me

We:

- eat a vegetarian diet
- take reusable bags to stores
- recycle when possible
- use green lightbulbs
- turn off lights when we aren't in a room
- program thermostat to only be on when we are home

We do other stuff, but I'm about to go back to work. Will add more later!
UK ~ US ~ Spectrum Noir
Old 04-08-2008, 09:57 AM   #23

Quote:
Well I have cats who eat in the laundry room and often empty their stomaches there too. So a liner is necessary in that room. That and I hate when dryer lint gets damp it seems to stick to things.

Bathroom liner is a necessity still and I would use one there anyway due to guests and I don't really want to dig Q-tips out by hand.

My kids (5 and 7) are prone to throw sticky things away in their rooms and my DH is OCD about things especially tissues. Therefore liners.
Dump the stuff from those cans into your kitchen trash. Leave the bag in the waste can. Every little bit helps. If it is particularly icky, then change it.

My kids weren't allowed to eat in their rooms this because I was not particularly fond of digging petrified pb&j or anything else out from under their beds.

Rainsong
Old 04-08-2008, 10:15 AM   #24
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
The question arises--how often do you break a lightbulb?

I can think of one time in thirty years when we broke a bulb.

For more information, try this link:
http://www.energystar.gov/ia/partner...et_Mercury.pdf

Rainsong
It's not about breaking them in your home, but they are much more likely to be broken once thrown away. Rather, it is unlikely the would NOT be broken once dumped in the garbage can, compacted by the garbage truck, dumped at the landfill and topped by tons of other trash.

Further, I hear that they are trying to recoup these bulbs so they can reuse the mercury found in them. The mercury is not used up inside them, which does lead me to wonder what the function of it is, though I'm sure it's necessary.

This is why when we dispose of them in our city we have to buy the $2 box to put it in before they will pick it up. It's some special "drop an egg from the roof" type suspension box and therefore even more trash to fill our landfills.

I just don't think this whole energy saving light bulb thing has been completely thought through.
Old 04-08-2008, 10:49 AM   #25
RAGIN' CAJUN WANNABE

I have 3 mercury thermometers in the house right now. NOT being used but here.

I would love to find a way to get rid of them.

Any suggestions?

I asked my doctor if I could bring them in with me next time and put in their hazardous waste.

He looked at me like I was crazy and told me to throw the things in the garbage.
Old 04-08-2008, 10:52 AM   #26
RAGIN' CAJUN WANNABE

Sadly I have a minimum of 15 disposable diapers per day on a good day.

Any suggestions other than the dump?

I thought about burning them but that seemed just as bad if not worse plus we are not suppose to burn anything man made.
Old 04-08-2008, 11:10 AM   #27

Quote:
It's not about breaking them in your home, but they are much more likely to be broken once thrown away. Rather, it is unlikely the would NOT be broken once dumped in the garbage can, compacted by the garbage truck, dumped at the landfill and topped by tons of other trash.

Further, I hear that they are trying to recoup these bulbs so they can reuse the mercury found in them. The mercury is not used up inside them, which does lead me to wonder what the function of it is, though I'm sure it's necessary.

This is why when we dispose of them in our city we have to buy the $2 box to put it in before they will pick it up. It's some special "drop an egg from the roof" type suspension box and therefore even more trash to fill our landfills.

I just don't think this whole energy saving light bulb thing has been completely thought through.
Please read the link I posted above. By using CFL bulbs, you reduce the amount of electricity used and by doing so, reduce the amount of mercury released into the atmosphere by coal plants. The source of power for our electricity comes from coal in most cases. Nine out of every ten tons of coal produced today is used to generate electricity. Only 19.8% of electricity in the US is supplied by nuclear power plants. More than half are fueled by coal with natural gas is a close second. Natural gas is another fossil fuel. Hydro powered plants only contribute 6% of the world's electricity.

Rainsong
Old 04-08-2008, 01:39 PM   #28
Die Cut Diva

I recycle electronics as much as possible. This site offers free shipping for many electronics and donates the money: http://www.recycleforbreastcancer.com

During the growing season, I save dishwater and use it on plants outside.

I also do many of the above items listed by other posters (CFLs, reusable shopping bags, etc.)
Old 04-08-2008, 02:38 PM   #29
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Please read the link I posted above. By using CFL bulbs, you reduce the amount of electricity used and by doing so, reduce the amount of mercury released into the atmosphere by coal plants. The source of power for our electricity comes from coal in most cases. Nine out of every ten tons of coal produced today is used to generate electricity. Only 19.8% of electricity in the US is supplied by nuclear power plants. More than half are fueled by coal with natural gas is a close second. Natural gas is another fossil fuel. Hydro powered plants only contribute 6% of the world's electricity.

Rainsong
I did read the link and I don't doubt that they conserve energy. By beef with them is the lack of a responsible way to dispose of them. I won't continue to buy them until I feel right about their disposal. If Target (or other store I frequent) puts a receptacle at the front of the store where I can easily return them without adding another few dollars to the cost of each bulb, I'll happily replace most of my bulbs with CFLs as they burn out. But I will not toss them in the garbage for them to go into landfills. I think the bulb manufacturers have only done half the job necessary for this to be a real alternative.
Old 04-08-2008, 02:43 PM   #30
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granny Hawkins View Post
I have 3 mercury thermometers in the house right now. NOT being used but here.

I would love to find a way to get rid of them.

Any suggestions?

I asked my doctor if I could bring them in with me next time and put in their hazardous waste.

He looked at me like I was crazy and told me to throw the things in the garbage.
Do a search for "household hazardous waste collection facility" and your state or city.

Some areas have permanent facilities and others host seasonal drop off locations.
Old 04-08-2008, 02:45 PM   #31
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
I did read the link and I don't doubt that they conserve energy. By beef with them is the lack of a responsible way to dispose of them. I won't continue to buy them until I feel right about their disposal. If Target (or other store I frequent) puts a receptacle at the front of the store where I can easily return them without adding another few dollars to the cost of each bulb, I'll happily replace most of my bulbs with CFLs as they burn out. But I will not toss them in the garbage for them to go into landfills. I think the bulb manufacturers have only done half the job necessary for this to be a real alternative.
This should say MY beef...boy, I'm having trouble typing today and the edit button is finicky.
Old 04-08-2008, 03:07 PM   #32

Quote:
Do you feel the same way about throwing out a thermometer? Or salmon innards? How about using electricity in general, since it is generated (for the most part) by burning coal which puts tons of mercury into the air?

Edited to add: the only way we can ever have a sure-fire, not harm done energy source is if every human on the planet used solar power for everything.

Rainsong
Old 04-08-2008, 03:09 PM   #33

Quote:
This should say MY beef...boy, I'm having trouble typing today and the edit button is finicky.
'Sokay. We're smart enough to figure it out.

Rainsong
Old 04-08-2008, 04:28 PM   #34
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Do you feel the same way about throwing out a thermometer? Or salmon innards? How about using electricity in general, since it is generated (for the most part) by burning coal which puts tons of mercury into the air?

Edited to add: the only way we can ever have a sure-fire, not harm done energy source is if every human on the planet used solar power for everything.

Rainsong
I do feel the same way about thermometers, which are not sold for medical use anymore, and we don't eat salmon (not because of the gut disposal, but because we don't like fish and I do worry about the mercury levels for my kids). There's something fishy about a product that requires you to air out your house for 48 hours after it breaks, remove the contaminated carpeting and double bag it before marking it "hazardous material". This one little bulb that is supposed to save me so much money would end up costing me hundreds (if not thousands) to replace the carpet and send the kids to a hotel for 2 days.

I'm generally not an uber-environmentalist - I do the usual little things that are within reason, but when something is touted as this wonderful solution, but has an obvious (and easily fixable) downside that is being ignored, I'm not eager to jump on the bandwagon until they work all the kinks out. CFLs are still too "kinky" for me. Right now, I don't feel right about dumping CFLs (or thermometers) in the landfills and the available process for disposal is too ridiculous. If I dispose of 1000 of these bulbs over the years, it's going to cost me $2000 just in throw away containers (that I have to drive 10 miles to buy), plus the fuel for the huge garbage truck they send out for a special trip to pick it up twice a year. If I could drop them off at a store I already visit once per week and be assured they'd recapture the mercury to be used again instead of letting it spill into the landfill, I'd do it in a heartbeat. I'll be more than happy to use them when they solve the disposal problem.
Old 04-08-2008, 04:42 PM   #35

Quote:
I do feel the same way about thermometers, which are not sold for medical use anymore, and we don't eat salmon (not because of the gut disposal, but because we don't like fish and I do worry about the mercury levels for my kids). There's something fishy about a product that requires you to air out your house for 48 hours after it breaks, remove the contaminated carpeting and double bag it before marking it "hazardous material". This one little bulb that is supposed to save me so much money would end up costing me hundreds (if not thousands) to replace the carpet and send the kids to a hotel for 2 days.

I'm generally not an uber-environmentalist - I do the usual little things that are within reason, but when something is touted as this wonderful solution, but has an obvious (and easily fixable) downside that is being ignored, I'm not eager to jump on the bandwagon until they work all the kinks out. CFLs are still too "kinky" for me. Right now, I don't feel right about dumping CFLs (or thermometers) in the landfills and the available process for disposal is too ridiculous. If I dispose of 1000 of these bulbs over the years, it's going to cost me $2000 just in throw away containers (that I have to drive 10 miles to buy), plus the fuel for the huge garbage truck they send out for a special trip to pick it up twice a year. If I could drop them off at a store I already visit once per week and be assured they'd recapture the mercury to be used again instead of letting it spill into the landfill, I'd do it in a heartbeat. I'll be more than happy to use them when they solve the disposal problem.
You know, I wondered about the "airing out" thing too. My conclusion may not be correct, but I think it's just a safety precaution for a over cautious safety conscious public. Regardless, these bulbs will last for quite a long time. Perhaps in the interval, they will devise a better method for disposal. And in the meantime, I will be reducing the measurable amount of mercury entering the atmosphere.

Rainsong
Old 04-08-2008, 04:45 PM   #36

What's really funny is we used to play with mercury when we were little. No one thought a thing about it and it didn't seem to hurt us one bit. Of course, we didn't eat it...

Rainsong
Old 04-08-2008, 08:40 PM   #37
Hardware Hotshot

OK I need someone to explain about the Salmon thing. I've never heard that the fish innards were dangerous. I googled salmon and am not getting anything about innards. What's the deal?

Old 04-08-2008, 09:12 PM   #38

Quote:
OK I need someone to explain about the Salmon thing. I've never heard that the fish innards were dangerous. I googled salmon and am not getting anything about innards. What's the deal?
Many fish have high levels of mercury in their bodies, right alongside PCBs, dioxins and other contaminants.

Rainsong
Old 04-08-2008, 09:24 PM   #39

Quote:

You must have read a different link than the one I posted from the EPA. According to the link I posted, one should air the room for 15 minutes, not 48 hours. For carpeting, pick up large pieces of broken glass and use duct tape to pick up small particles, then use a vacuum for the residue. Empty the vacuum bag and wipe out the bag compartment. Not a thing about removing the carpet

Unless your house is lit up like the Vegas strip, I don't understand how you are going to use 1000 bulbs in your lifetime. Not even in a home with 100 light bulbs. Funny, we only have about 30, including the ones we never use (overhead light fixtures). Oops. Thirty-three if you count the ones in the dryer, refrigerator and oven.

Rainsong
Old 04-08-2008, 09:37 PM   #40
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

im going to have to agree with weeerberries on the whole light bulb issue. i thought the new ones were great too and bought a few. they i had to replace one and i didnt realize what a pain it would be. until the kinks are worked out about the disposal, im sticking with my old style bulbs. and when i mentioned to my girl friends about not being able to just toss the new ones in the trash, one friend says she throws them away anyway, and the other friend said she didnt realize she couldnt and has already thrown two away herself, but wont anymore. so think about how many people are just throwing these away.

i have gotten rid of all my old cleaners and gone with a posphate free brand. my husband is big on water issues, like water run of and storm systems and things like that. he collects rain water from the gutters in rain barrels to water the yard and garden and has taken out all the concrete walk ways and used porous pavers instead. its his "thing". he has a web site that he put together one of our renters who is a landscape architect. he would love for people to check it out. its http://www.delafleur.com/168_Elm/index.htm
there is fun time lapse photagraphy of the rain garden, and pictures of the green roof and rain barrels. its a fun site