Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2008, 08:39 PM   #41
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

i thought i would try to add a clickable link to the web page, but im not very good at computer things so if it doesnt work im sorry
http://http://www.delafleur.com/168_Elm/index.htm
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 04-08-2008, 08:50 PM   #42
Diversified Multicultural Postmodern Deconstructionist Philogian

The Natural Resources Defense Council notes on its Web site that the mercury in a discarded CFL - and in the coal burned to power it over its lifetime - would release 8 milligrams of mercury. That's less than half the 17.6 milligrams emitted by the coal burned to light a less-efficient incandescent bulb for the same period of time.

"Recycling is always important for anything you throw out," said the NRDC's Julia Bovey. But "we keep so much mercury out of the air by using cleaner light bulbs ... that no matter what happens with the light bulb, we're still cutting down on the amount of mercury" released.

All IKEA stores and some Ace and Tru-Value hardware stores will take back spent CFL bulbs.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/loc...9.story?page=3

Rainsong
Old 04-08-2008, 08:51 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzier View Post
i thought i would try to add a clickable link to the web page, but im not very good at computer things so if it doesnt work im sorry
http://http://www.delafleur.com/168_Elm/index.htm
Corrected link:

http://www.delafleur.com/168_Elm/index.htm

Rainsong
Old 04-08-2008, 08:54 PM   #44

rainsong, thanks, i see you are good at computery things!
Old 04-08-2008, 09:06 PM   #45

oh yea, i also meant to say thanks for letting us know about ikea and ace taking spent bulbs. ill let my friends know. im still sticking to my regular ones for now though. i think that too many people will be lazy and just throw them away. i think they are great, but if we all just buy them with out a good system in place to get rid of them, then the system will take longer to get in place. they should have thought of the big picture. im worried that they will sell like hot cakes and then there wont be an incentive for companys that make them to come up with a no brainer disposal for them. or maybe a more earth and people friendly bulb.
Old 04-09-2008, 06:53 AM   #46
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granny Hawkins View Post
I have 3 mercury thermometers in the house right now. NOT being used but here.

I would love to find a way to get rid of them.

Any suggestions?

I asked my doctor if I could bring them in with me next time and put in their hazardous waste.

He looked at me like I was crazy and told me to throw the things in the garbage.
I haven't finished reading yet, so forgive me if this has been said. Have you called your local Health Department? Around here they will take the mercury themometers & trade you for a digital. I sure hope the local HD's dispose of them properly. I assume this service is more for individual health than for anything environmental related......
Old 04-09-2008, 07:11 AM   #47
Die Cut Diva

Just a couple of other simple things we do. I don't use light bulbs in my appliances. Never had one in the dryer & took out the oven one years ago. Wait. I guess the fridge has one. I'll see if I can do w/o that one.
This may seem silly but it works for us. In the winter when I bake in my oven, after I turn it off & remove the food, I leave the door open so the heat will help to heat up the house. Same w/ the dishwasher. In winter I also leave the laundry room door open, while doing laundry, to use that heat. I have always done that to save me some green. (Anything I can do to save $!) Now I'm hopeful that it helps to reduce the gas heat I have to use for more earth friendly reasons. In summer, I try not to use my oven. Anytime I do use my oven I try maxamize my use by baking more than one thing.
Once a month DH & I have 20-30 college students @ our home & serve them some sort of refreshment. Recently I have started washing & reusing the plastic (cups, utensils, etc.)
Old 04-09-2008, 07:14 AM   #48
Die Cut Diva

I also garden & we bottle TONS of fruits & vegetables each season to use all year. I don't compost. I am going to have to look into how to do that.
Old 04-09-2008, 10:51 AM   #49
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainsong View Post
You must have read a different link than the one I posted from the EPA. According to the link I posted, one should air the room for 15 minutes, not 48 hours. For carpeting, pick up large pieces of broken glass and use duct tape to pick up small particles, then use a vacuum for the residue. Empty the vacuum bag and wipe out the bag compartment. Not a thing about removing the carpet

Unless your house is lit up like the Vegas strip, I don't understand how you are going to use 1000 bulbs in your lifetime. Not even in a home with 100 light bulbs. Funny, we only have about 30, including the ones we never use (overhead light fixtures). Oops. Thirty-three if you count the ones in the dryer, refrigerator and oven.

Rainsong
Our house has 100 bulbs by approximation. They need to be replaced every 5 years. Over the next 50 years of my life (I'm still relatively young and hope for another 50 years with my family), I'll replace 100 bulbs 10 times = 1000.

I have to admit that we are lit up a bit like a Vegas strip. My bathroom alone has 18 incandescents, plus 1 heat bulb, and 2 fluorescent in the closet. The other bath has 10. Rooms with ceiling fans have 4-5 each, We have can lighting along our long hallways, directional lights above the kitchen sink, plus standard kitchen lights, etc. 10 in our dining chandelier, 8 in our entry chandelier, etc. Plus lamps and task lights and standard overhead lights in basic rooms. We do have a lot of bulbs, but a lot of natural light during the day and we don't use all those lights on a regular basis, but they do add up.

I read so many clean-up sites over the last couple of weeks that I've gotten confused. The procedure is very standard, but some sites (one included below) say that after the initial 15 minute air-out you can go in the room to clean up, but after clean up, you must continue to air out for 24-48 hours, depending on the source. It also varies as to whether you must cut the contaminated carpet out and replace it. If you have young children, it is recommended that carpet be replaced, as they are closer to the ground and more susceptible to the heavy mercury fumes effect on the nervous system.

Incidentally, this is probably why playing with mercury as kids was not instantly fatal. It's the fumes that are a problem, not the skin contact. As long as you don't disperse them via vacuum or A/C system, you'll get bored with scattering droplets long before the contact is detrimental.

a different, but similar take on clean up: http://michigan.gov/deq/0,1607,7-135...1751--,00.html
Old 04-09-2008, 11:14 AM   #50
Pearl-ExPert

This does remind me (and the bulb counting thread) that the research we should really be doing is how to use LED's for lighting our homes. They take low energy and never burn out. They are much smaller and take far fewer to produce the same amount of candle power.

So, anybody that wants to get right on that...I'm with you.
Old 04-09-2008, 11:39 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by weederberries View Post
Our house has 100 bulbs by approximation. They need to be replaced every 5 years. Over the next 50 years of my life (I'm still relatively young and hope for another 50 years with my family), I'll replace 100 bulbs 10 times = 1000.

I have to admit that we are lit up a bit like a Vegas strip. My bathroom alone has 18 incandescents, plus 1 heat bulb, and 2 fluorescent in the closet. The other bath has 10. Rooms with ceiling fans have 4-5 each, We have can lighting along our long hallways, directional lights above the kitchen sink, plus standard kitchen lights, etc. 10 in our dining chandelier, 8 in our entry chandelier, etc. Plus lamps and task lights and standard overhead lights in basic rooms. We do have a lot of bulbs, but a lot of natural light during the day and we don't use all those lights on a regular basis, but they do add up.

I read so many clean-up sites over the last couple of weeks that I've gotten confused. The procedure is very standard, but some sites (one included below) say that after the initial 15 minute air-out you can go in the room to clean up, but after clean up, you must continue to air out for 24-48 hours, depending on the source. It also varies as to whether you must cut the contaminated carpet out and replace it. If you have young children, it is recommended that carpet be replaced, as they are closer to the ground and more susceptible to the heavy mercury fumes effect on the nervous system.

Incidentally, this is probably why playing with mercury as kids was not instantly fatal. It's the fumes that are a problem, not the skin contact. As long as you don't disperse them via vacuum or A/C system, you'll get bored with scattering droplets long before the contact is detrimental.

a different, but similar take on clean up: http://michigan.gov/deq/0,1607,7-135...1751--,00.html
You do realize the link you posted is referencing spills of less than two tablespoons. A CFL has barely enough mercury in it to cover the tip of a ball point pent.

Quite a difference, don't you think?

Perhaps you should read this page, from your own link:
http://www.deq.state.mi.us/documents...tsheet-cfl.pdf

Rainsong
Old 04-09-2008, 11:47 AM   #52

Efficient LED lights?

But wait! What about all the white LED high-efficiency claims that are all over...including the claims that used to be on this site? Unfortunately, much of this information is incorrect. Comparing the efficiency of a white LED light with a compact fluorescent by measuring the intensity of a tiny spot within the beam does NOT give proper efficiency results. We got much of our data for efficiency claims from an article in Home Power Magazine (click here to see this testing article) and in literature from LED distributors. The problem? All of the light from our LEDs is concentrated in a 20 degree beam, while the incandescent and compact fluorescent lights were tested without fixtures...and most of the light they produced was never measured in the test, since it sensed only light falling on the sensor. It's OK to compare different lights by how brightly they illuminate a certain size area...but put a reflector behind the compact fluorescent and incandescent bulbs in the test rig and the data would change significantly. Therefore, while the LED lights in this test may illuminate a small area as brightly as other lights, they are NOT significantly more efficient. LEDs can still be a good choice for illuminating your workbench, for example, as long as the light cast onto your small work area is as bright as you need--in this case your LED light could be a good investment for saving power, especially if your old incandescent fixture is also lighting the rest of the room where you don't need the light (like in the Home Power experiment link above). If you try and light an entire living room with an LED fixture, though, you are not saving much--in that case you want a wide dispersal of light, and a fluorescent fixture would be the hands-down winner for efficiency, cost and practicality.

Another thing to keep in mind--notice that with current commercial lighting products, the smaller the incandescent bulb, the less efficient it is. For small-sized and lower-light-intensity applications such as task and reading lights, pathway lighting, exit signs, and flashlights, LED lights will be much more efficient than the equivilant small incandescent. This is because fluorescent light products in these small sizes are not available commercially. We are currently researching remote power applications for small cold-cathode fluorescents, which are commonly used to backlight LCD screens. We hope to have more information about these lights soon, though they are still significantly larger than LED products...too big to use in anything smaller than a very large flashlight. http://www.otherpower.com/otherpower_lighting.html

Rainsong
Old 04-09-2008, 11:49 AM   #53
Gabfest Goddess

Send a message via AIM to Skittl1321

My tip (and I put it in the other thread) unplug your microwave. By leaving it plugged in when not in use, you have an extremely expensive to run, energy eating, clock.

As for CFL's- I guess I don't understand the issue with disposal. You put them wherever you keep your batteries (or are you throwing those into the trashcan too!) and then when the stash gets big enough deal with a hazardous waste drop off (unless your city has a harazdous waste day). And if you are throwing your batteries away- STOP! Those shouldn't be in landfills anymore than these lightbulbs should be.
Old 04-10-2008, 07:54 PM   #54
Stampin' Fool

I must say I totally agree with Weederberries and we currently don't use these lightbulbs because of the reasons she mentioned. Plan and simple I am not going to add mercury to the home, where I have 3 small children and 1 on the way, or a landfill
Old 04-10-2008, 08:34 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyK View Post
I must say I totally agree with Weederberries and we currently don't use these lightbulbs because of the reasons she mentioned. Plan and simple I am not going to add mercury to the home, where I have 3 small children and 1 on the way, or a landfill
But it's okay to add it to the atmosphere in much greater quantities?

Rainsong
Old 04-11-2008, 04:14 AM   #56
Hardware Hotshot

Oh another thing is that we recharge our AA batteries and our wii remotes. I don't have a method to do bigger batteries but we don't use many of those anyway. We just take our batteries and the 2 CFL lightbulbs we have blown out in the last 4 years we have used them and our large fluorescent bulbs and paint cans to our hazardous waste facility place on the 2 weeks a year where they take everything.

Old 04-11-2008, 05:57 AM   #57
Die Cut Diva

A couple of other tips:
We use rechargable batteries.
I pee in my shower.
Old 04-11-2008, 06:50 AM   #58
Die Cut Diva

Default check it out

Tonight on 20/20 there is a show about Carbon Footprints. Now I'm not saying what I believe or agree with in this subject, BUT it does look interesting. There was a clip on GMA this a.m. It showed how many diapers, milk, water, etc. that are used over a life time. I think it will be an eye opener for me & interesting to see what we really use. It is also a special on National Geographic.
Old 04-11-2008, 06:52 AM   #59
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
i have gotten rid of all my old cleaners and gone with a posphate free brand. my husband is big on water issues, like water run of and storm systems and things like that. he collects rain water from the gutters in rain barrels to water the yard and garden and has taken out all the concrete walk ways and used porous pavers instead. its his "thing". he has a web site that he put together one of our renters who is a landscape architect. he would love for people to check it out. its http://www.delafleur.com/168_Elm/index.htm
there is fun time lapse photagraphy of the rain garden, and pictures of the green roof and rain barrels. its a fun site
I just checked the site out... I am SO impressed!
Old 04-11-2008, 07:02 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxiTam View Post
Tonight on 20/20 there is a show about Carbon Footprints. Now I'm not saying what I believe or agree with in this subject, BUT it does look interesting. There was a clip on GMA this a.m. It showed how many diapers, milk, water, etc. that are used over a life time. I think it will be an eye opener for me & interesting to see what we really use. It is also a special on National Geographic.
I saw one stinking commercial for the NG show but didn't catch it in time to see when it would be aired. Now I have to look up the schedule and there is no guarantee our cable company will have the same schedule as posted on NG's site.

Hubby recycles the inner liner of cereal boxes. He uses some for his bagel/biscuit/toast in the morning and will often use one to roll out his sourdough biscuits.

On days he uses a paper towel for his breakfast bread, he folds it over to keep crumbs in place then I reuse it for my English muffin. (He eats at 5 in the morning. I don't eat until 8:30 or 9.) After I'm done, and as long as it has no butter/jelly/jam stuff on it, I dump the crumbs and save it for cleaning up spills.

The average American family uses two rolls of paper towels a week. We use one roll per month or more. For major spills/messes we use rags.

Some of the things we do are so automatic, it's difficult to list them all.

We recycle cardboard at the local facility, newspapers, telephone books, pass on magazines and books to nursing homes, take lots of stuff to Goodwill/Salvation Army, compost, never run water while doing dishes or brushing teeth...When waiting for the water from the tap to come up to temperature, I save the run-off in my tea kettle or other vessel and use it for watering houseplants or cooking. We have a rain barrel I use for watering the plants on the porch.

I'll try to add to the list, but like I said, most of what we do is just "normal" for us.

Rainsong
Old 04-11-2008, 07:08 AM   #61
Die Cut Diva

Default ?

Here's a ? I thouht of this morning. I was giving DS some cheese toast & wondered, is it better to use a napkin or a plate (that will have to be washed)? This would be a good use for the cereal box liner. Never thought of that. TFS.
Old 04-11-2008, 07:44 AM   #62
Die Cut Diva

http://link.brightcove.com/services/...ctid1493152822

Sorry to be taking over this thread. They didn't call me mouth of the south for nothing! I am just trying to learn more about being green & appreciate the original posters of this thread. Anywho, I just checked out Green Week tips on Live w/ Regis & Kelly. Most were basic but I did get a few new ideas. I'm off now to opt out of catalog mailings.
Old 04-11-2008, 07:57 AM   #63

Quote:
Here's a ? I thouht of this morning. I was giving DS some cheese toast & wondered, is it better to use a napkin or a plate (that will have to be washed)? This would be a good use for the cereal box liner. Never thought of that. TFS.
The only problem is they still end up in the landfill.

If hubby didn't use the paper towel or liner, I'd opt for the plate. Yes, it needs to be washed, but it does not need to be manufactured each time. Manufacturing adds a lot to the environmental impact just in fuel usage alone. Add in the dioxins used to bleach the paper and it's no choice for me.

Rainsong
Old 04-11-2008, 08:52 AM   #64

Some companies still use packing peanuts. When we receive items packed with these, we save them and take them to a local mailing company to reuse.

Rainsong
Old 04-11-2008, 09:13 AM   #65
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
A couple of other tips:
We use rechargable batteries.
I pee in my shower.
Ummmm......for real??????

Were evolution true, Mothers would have more than 2 hands!
Old 04-11-2008, 10:09 AM   #66
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainsong View Post
The only problem is they still end up in the landfill.

If hubby didn't use the paper towel or liner, I'd opt for the plate. Yes, it needs to be washed, but it does not need to be manufactured each time. Manufacturing adds a lot to the environmental impact just in fuel usage alone. Add in the dioxins used to bleach the paper and it's no choice for me.

Rainsong
Thanks for the info.
Old 04-11-2008, 10:11 AM   #67
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanie Welch View Post
Ummmm......for real??????
Yep. But only in my own shower & I stand right over the drain. I figure it saves 1 time of having to flush. Does that make it any less gross?
Old 04-11-2008, 11:29 AM   #68
Die Cut Diva

Send a message via Skype™ to mrs_hawkins

I'm a big time recycler. At my current job (and I did this at my last job, too) I have a recycle bin that I bring home and put in my curbside recycle because they don't offer it in the office building.

I also take the stuff that isn't accepted curbside to the facility, such as batteries, corrugated cardboard, magazine, CF light bulbs, etc.

I take my own bags to the grocery. I sewed the bottoms of some old tee shirts and cut the sleeves off and opened the neck to make straps. They hold a lot and you can put them over your shoulder.

I take my lunch to work in a reusable container. I have a lunch box with a divider and I use silicone muffin cups to seperate futher if needed.

We also use a programmable thermostat, CF light bulbs, and don't use the heat dry on our dishwasher. Oh, and I do laundry with cold water.
Old 04-11-2008, 11:57 AM   #69
Hardware Hotshot

I do a lot of the things already in this thread. I replaced my incandescent bulbs with CFLs, I use reusable shopping bags, I have a programmable thermostat, I take my lunch to work in a reusable container. All the basics I guess!

Just a note here, my local Home Depot takes burnt out CFLs at the front of the store in a bin. They have little boxes there that you put your bulb in and then it goes into a bigger bin. I remember reading a while ago what it is they do with them, but I don't remember offhand. None of mine have burnt out yet and some have been in use for 4 years now.
Old 04-11-2008, 12:07 PM   #70
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Yep. But only in my own shower & I stand right over the drain. I figure it saves 1 time of having to flush. Does that make it any less gross?
And WHILE you're showering under running water, right?

I think Melanie maybe got the impression that you ONLY pee in the shower, not just while showering, but every time. (sorry if I'm mistaken Melanie)
Old 04-12-2008, 01:04 AM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLaFontaine View Post
I just checked the site out... I am SO impressed!
i told my husband that you checked out the site and he was very happy! thanks!
Old 04-12-2008, 05:10 AM   #72
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLaFontaine View Post
And WHILE you're showering under running water, right?

I think Melanie maybe got the impression that you ONLY pee in the shower, not just while showering, but every time. (sorry if I'm mistaken Melanie)
YES! I should have been more clear on that. I ONLY have this disgusting habit when I am in the shower in the morning. And I don't do it all the time. Just IF, while showering, I feel the need to pee.
Dose THAT make it any better?
Old 04-12-2008, 07:38 AM   #73
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
i told my husband that you checked out the site and he was very happy! thanks!
*grin* We could really use stuff like that around my area! It is so dry and hardly ever rains, so water is precious.
Old 04-12-2008, 07:45 AM   #74
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
YES! I should have been more clear on that. I ONLY have this disgusting habit when I am in the shower in the morning. And I don't do it all the time. Just IF, while showering, I feel the need to pee.
*grin* Well, I don't think it's disgusting, if that makes you feel better. I think many people do this, 'cause once I went to a comedy show, and the comedian was talking about peeing in the shower (while showering), and how his girlfriend won't, but he would. Everyone in the audience laughed hard, as if it was the same way in their household.
Old 04-12-2008, 05:13 PM   #75
Stazon Splitcoast

I found this
http://roannstamps.blogspot.com/2007...challenge.html
and thought of this thread.
Old 04-12-2008, 05:22 PM   #76
Cardstock Collector

I agree about phosphates in our cleaning products. I have found a few different detergents that have no phosphates, are better for the enviroment and are acutally less expensive than tide. One is by Norwex and the other Watkins. They workreally well in a front load washer. As well I have been trying to clean my house without chemicals for awhile now. Norwex products are cleaning cloths that you just use water and they are totally awesome. GO GREEN>
Old 04-13-2008, 08:57 AM   #77
Gabfest Goddess

Send a message via AIM to Skittl1321

Quote:
I figure it saves 1 time of having to flush. Does that make it any less gross?
We don't flush our toilet at night (both DH and I usually get up in the night). He says the sound wakes him up if he flushes it- so that's his excuse, I don't flush it because I figure it saves one flush, and I can flush it after I go in the morning.

If I know no one is coming over, I also won't flush if it's really "light" colored, and not acidic smelling.
Old 03-22-2013, 07:00 PM   #78
Pearl-ExPert

I am completely giddy about chemical-free cleaning cloths like Norwex. But I found a comparable option. My kids can help clean now and I've cut all cleaning chemicals besides toilet cleaner, oven cleaner, and dishwashing detergent.

I also bought natural egg dying kits this year!
Williams Sonoma: Eco-Eggs Egg Coloring Kit for $4.99 shipped | Money Saving MomŽ
Old 04-06-2013, 08:17 PM   #79
Gallery Gazer

Wow, a good thread to rejuvenate now and get tips that are 5 years more current?

Hmmmm, where to start? Oh, Rainsong, I hope you'll chime in again!

Aren't incandescent lightbulbs not available anymore these days? I don't understand why anyone would want one, but my hubby is an energy efficiency expert...

I use cloth napkins, washrags, drying cloths, etc. etc. I buy the tear-off small size paper towels and only use about one roll every 2 to 3 months, I think. It has been about 4 YEARS since I have bought paper napkins, I think (except for my daughter's HS graduation party and I bought fancy ones and we are still using the leftover ones 9 months later!) I must admit I like to do laundry, though!

We use reusable water bottles, plates, glasses, ceramic mugs to take things with us in the car and bring them back in to wash them in the dishwasher when we return. We even bring the cloth napkins with us...

I use chamois clothes to wipe up spills around the house, we have had ours for at least 6 to 7 years and they are still working just fine.

I compost daily, and recycle heavily (this trash is always more full than my other trash.)

We do meatless Mondays and are trying to do Trashless Tuesdays now, too.

I can a lot of my own food, especially fruits (trying to move to more vegetables and soups.) We grow as much as we can, buy as much as we can locally, too.

My thrifty 18 year old college student uses vinegar and baking soda as a rinse/conditioner for her hair (there is a formula, she uses them separately.)
kaufeestamper likes this post.
Old 04-09-2013, 09:25 AM   #80
Matboard Maniac

Quote:
No. I think it's gross.