Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2007, 02:46 PM   #2001
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLaFontaine
instead of diplomas and other life-accomplishment documents lining up the table in the back, I'd like for him to display the most fabulous cards that I'd ever made for him.
oo I never thought of that- maybe I should start my death scrapbook now lol- bt seriously - I would like my scrapboks to be all laid out so people can see them- and then a showing of all my other artwork- a gallery in my own house
Old 05-07-2007, 02:53 PM   #2002
Glitter Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLaFontaine
Weird Al's "I'll Be Mellow when I'm Dead", ...I won't be there.
That song is AWESOME!
Old 05-07-2007, 04:14 PM   #2003
Cardstock Collector

Smile Atheist Here..

I was pleasantly shocked to see this thread on this board. I've ran into so many sites/blogs etc. that do not tolerate anything other than goody goody talk about everything, not just religion.

I remember asking questions along the same time frame as a lot of others I'm seeing in these posts, 4th-6th grade. Nothing made sense and my questions were being answered with... That is the way it is.

I just try to be a good person, do not harm others or animals (unless being attacked), I don't force my beliefs on others and basically life a good life, work and *sigh* pay my taxes.

I agree with so many of you on your reasons for being atheist/agnostic etc. Thanks for starting this thread and making me feel at home.

Heather
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 05-07-2007, 05:14 PM   #2004
Kookie Creator

Agnostic here. Love this thread!
Old 05-07-2007, 06:04 PM   #2005
Hardware Hotshot

I am also going to be cremated. So is DH. I can't see wasting wood just to be put in the ground. We do have our headstones though at a cemetary that is truly under a large oak tree. My DH's parents are buried there and they bought the sites before they died. So we will have our names there for ancestors to see, but nothing under the stone.

I like the idea of making a "death" scrapbook. I really think I need to start one. I have thought about leaving letters for the girls to find in the house just for them. Journals are great too.

When you get in a tight place and everything goes against you, till it seems as though you could not hold on a minute longer, never give up then, for that is just the place and time that the tide will turn. -- Harriet Beecher Stowe
Old 05-07-2007, 06:14 PM   #2006
Glitter Guru

I think the COOLEST idea I have EVER seen, or will see, was what my climbing instructor had done to him. It's illegal... but, totally flippin' awesome. When you climb certain peaks, there are pre-set clip points that are set INTO the rock with concrete.

Cremated climbing instructor/guru + some cement + water = he'll be on the side of that mountain forever

*thumbs up*
Old 05-07-2007, 06:16 PM   #2007
Diversified Multicultural Postmodern Deconstructionist Philogian

Quote:
Originally Posted by culpepper
ditto the two before me lol

my funeral is planned- such as it is- my body or what is left is to go to medical research or to those who need bits of it
a 'memorial' where people get to diss me or make fun of me or just plain remember me will be a picnic in the forest - playing some of my favourite songs on a portable cd player no grave or memorial stone- I'd like to be remembered in my children and in what I have done
If you go before me and your butt is smaller than mine--I claim first dibs!

Rainsong
Old 05-07-2007, 06:20 PM   #2008
Kookie Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlett75
I think the COOLEST idea I have EVER seen, or will see, was what my climbing instructor had done to him. It's illegal... but, totally flippin' awesome. When you climb certain peaks, there are pre-set clip points that are set INTO the rock with concrete.

Cremated climbing instructor/guru + some cement + water = he'll be on the side of that mountain forever

*thumbs up*

That does sound awesome - I like the thing they just did a couple of weeks ago where they shot Mr. Scotty and some others out into Space. There is also a really cool website - I think it's www.lifegem.com where they can make a synthetic diamond from the remains - I would love to do this with my dad's ashes but it is WAY expensive.
Old 05-08-2007, 02:09 AM   #2009
Directionally Challenged Parrothead

Most beautiful service I ever went to was for a wonderful hiking buddy who died in the 90s. Her parents, who were elderly, did have a religious service which we all went to, but they knew how much she loved the outdoors and asked if we would scatter her ashes in a place that we knew she particularly loved.

She also volunteered at the local raptor center, where they rehabilitate injured birds of prey. So on the morning of the hike, we went up to a beautiful ridge in the Virginia mountains. A friend from the raptor center brought along a hawk who was ready to be released. We started the day hiking into a meadow, standing in a circle, and releasing the hawk. Then we hiked 10 miles, scattered her ashes, told stories, cried, laughed, and remembered her in a place she really loved. As hard as it was to say goodbye, it was probably the most beautiful memorial service I've ever attended.

We had a service for my Dad as well this past January, but in the fall (his favorite time of year), we're going out to the beach he loved to scatter his ashes by the ocean. I hope it will be the same sort of day for him.
Old 05-08-2007, 02:27 AM   #2010

I was reading what you all said about the change of folks becoming much more aggressive and angry in challenging religion. I think historically, there has usually been some sort of religious revival following periods of great change, especially in this country. When New England and the mid-Atlantic began to industrialize in the 1820s, you had huge revivals through the 1830s--very charismatic and emotional vs the traditional established churches. After Civil War, the Ku Klux Klan included a strong religious element. In the 1890s-1910s, as industrial abuses became more widely evident, many of the Progressives who worked for reform were very religiously motivated, from Jane Addams at Hull House to a number of folks working to improve conditions in the slums and help workers, immigrants and their children gain access to sanitation and education.

I think after WWII, many intellectual leaders began to question religion--partly due to the advances of science, but also very much due to Germany, a Christian nation, having perpetuated the holocaust. Scientific advances coming in the same period that the West began to discover what the Nazis had done very much shook many people's faith to the core. At the same time, by the 1960s, increasingly affordable travel, decolonization, and industry gave a lot of seekers and wanderers a whole world, literally, to explore and learn from.

I think a sort of outraged evangelism that germinated in response to so many intellectuals questioning religion. Then it grew during the 80s and really took hold in the 90s (in the South, we saw this with the ascendancy of Newt Gingrich and his religious right supporters). I find much of it too angry, smug and self-satisfied to have much spiritual appeal, but the anger is nothing new (there was an anti-immigrant Know-Nothing party in the 1840s that made these folks look like meek amateurs). What's new is the ability to spread these views via mass-media, in snappy, sound-bite form, and their dominance of a widely-viewed television channel (Faux News, and if Rupert Murdoch does buy the Wall Street Journal, I will not be able to stop throwing up).

Also I think that prior to the 1960s, because religion was so widely practiced by most Americans, the very angry, outraged evangelical response was seen as an aberration by mainstream Christians. However, these days, many folks with more progressive thoughts regarding society as a common weal that joins and supports us all, are less and less religious. So the outraged evangelical response appears to comprise more and more of mainstream religion, as liberal, social-justice oriented folks grow less likely to belong to a church.

What's very sad about this to me is that the traditional Gospel message (and traditional Jewish message) regarding the vital importance of caring for the poor (whether you like and 'approve' of their conduct or not), being a good neighbor and working to become more humble and compassionate, has been more and more drowned out by a gospel of judgment and condemnation. So for someone who does live with a more compassionate or progressive outlook, religion becomes less and less attractive.
Old 05-08-2007, 04:28 AM   #2011
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Just Me

MO, your thoughts have been missed! But whew, they're long!
UK ~ US ~ Spectrum Noir
Old 05-08-2007, 06:23 AM   #2012
Die Cut Diva

Send a message via AIM to virginia

Quote:
I was pleasantly shocked to see this thread on this board. I've ran into so many sites/blogs etc. that do not tolerate anything other than goody goody talk about everything, not just religion.

I remember asking questions along the same time frame as a lot of others I'm seeing in these posts, 4th-6th grade. Nothing made sense and my questions were being answered with... That is the way it is.

I just try to be a good person, do not harm others or animals (unless being attacked), I don't force my beliefs on others and basically life a good life, work and *sigh* pay my taxes.

I agree with so many of you on your reasons for being atheist/agnostic etc. Thanks for starting this thread and making me feel at home.
Hi Heather and welcome. If you haven't found the Current Events forum here yet, you'd probably like it too.
Old 05-08-2007, 06:27 AM   #2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by stagccva
MO, your thoughts have been missed! But whew, they're long!
They've always been long, LOL! I don't think I have too many short thoughts...
Old 05-08-2007, 06:41 AM   #2014
Just Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddy otter
They've always been long, LOL! I don't think I have too many short thoughts...
Well, that is proabaly a good thing. Except when it comes to jusry deliberatons - get in, get out!! How's it going?
UK ~ US ~ Spectrum Noir
Old 05-08-2007, 08:50 AM   #2015

As I can't discuss the case till it's over, let me just say that the wheels of justice apparently require a great deal of maintenance before they can begin turning!

Fortunately they warned us to bring a book, and they have PCs in the jury quiet area... although you have to wait about 20 min before you can get access to one. You can credit this note to my glaring at a woman who was sitting at a computer making a cell call and not typing for over 30 min.

I am using this time to perfect my baleful glare... I hope you are suitably intimidated!
Old 05-08-2007, 08:52 AM   #2016
Just Me

Quote:
I am using this time to perfect my baleful glare... I hope you are suitably intimidated!
Stop looking at me like that! I mean it!!
UK ~ US ~ Spectrum Noir
Old 05-08-2007, 08:57 AM   #2017

You all will be happy to know that here in nice conservative NC court does allow you not to swear on the bible--you can simply make solemn avowal. I was impressed.
Old 05-08-2007, 09:03 AM   #2018
Just Me

Wow - I am shocked! And quite pleased!
UK ~ US ~ Spectrum Noir
Old 05-08-2007, 11:50 AM   #2019
Mad Swapper

Quote:
You all will be happy to know that here in nice conservative NC court does allow you not to swear on the bible--you can simply make solemn avowal. I was impressed.
That makes sense because it's against some Christian groups to swear an oath.

View My Gallery
Old 05-08-2007, 12:45 PM   #2020
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainsong
If you go before me and your butt is smaller than mine--I claim first dibs!

Rainsong
ROFL- there was I merrily perusing the latest posts in my favourite thread and I happen upon this

I doubt my butt is smaller lol- i'm a size 14-16 over here in UK dunno what that is over there but your welcome to it just to kick sometimes when you feel the need
Old 05-08-2007, 01:34 PM   #2021

Quote:
ROFL- there was I merrily perusing the latest posts in my favourite thread and I happen upon this
Occasionaly I like to toss a zinger into a thread just to see if everyone is still awake.

Rainsong--sigh, you can keep your butt. I'll be darned if I'm exchanging for the same size.
Old 05-08-2007, 01:44 PM   #2022
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:
Occasionaly I like to toss a zinger into a thread just to see if everyone is still awake.

Rainsong--sigh, you can keep your butt. I'll be darned if I'm exchanging for the same size.
I saw your post but there is no way in he** I was touching it.

When you get in a tight place and everything goes against you, till it seems as though you could not hold on a minute longer, never give up then, for that is just the place and time that the tide will turn. -- Harriet Beecher Stowe
Old 05-08-2007, 02:50 PM   #2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samantha
I saw your post but there is no way in he** I was touching it.
Would 'it' be the post, or Rainsong's actual bottom?
Old 05-08-2007, 03:48 PM   #2024
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:
Would 'it' be the post, or Rainsong's actual bottom?
I laughed when I typed it out wondering if anyone would pick up on it. (The post not Rainsong's bottom). Sorry Rainsong. We should not be talking about your bottom. You might as well post an advatar of it now.

Old 05-08-2007, 03:58 PM   #2025

Quote:
I laughed when I typed it out wondering if anyone would pick up on it. (The post not Rainsong's bottom). Sorry Rainsong. We should not be talking about your bottom. You might as well post an advatar of it now.
I'm sorry, Sammie. But I don't think SCS is large enough to contain it--it being MY butt!

And MO, I do believe your previous post was the shortest you've EVER posted!

Rainsong
Old 05-08-2007, 04:00 PM   #2026
Hardware Hotshot

Love this!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGdXBo-ukCk

I have to go watch it again....
Old 05-08-2007, 05:08 PM   #2027
Mad Swapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland
Love this!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGdXBo-ukCk

I have to go watch it again....
I love it! Except . . . I hate monkeys. Primates, apes, any of those sorts of beings. You know how some people get creeped out by spiders, and for other people it's snakes? For me it's monkeys.

So, yeah, everyone is a monkey. Except me.

View My Gallery
Old 05-09-2007, 03:37 AM   #2028

Quote:
I'm sorry, Sammie. But I don't think SCS is large enough to contain it--it being MY butt!

And MO, I do believe your previous post was the shortest you've EVER posted!

Rainsong
Guilty as charged... and off to court for me!
Old 05-09-2007, 10:07 PM   #2029
This reminds me of a Star Trek episode....

Quote:
Is an Advatar an avatar that's also an advertisement?

Are we advertising Rainsong's bottom in an avatar?

Somebody better come shut me up.....

"Fun must be always." - Tomas Hertl, San Jose Sharks
Old 05-09-2007, 10:07 PM   #2030

Quote:
Guilty as charged... and off to court for me!
Dang - I was hoping they would find you INNOCENT.

ROFL

(Please, put me away!)

Old 05-10-2007, 06:39 AM   #2031
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stampin Wrose
Is an Advatar an avatar that's also an advertisement?

Are we advertising Rainsong's bottom in an avatar?

Somebody better come shut me up.....
AHA.......You smart one. Yes, we want an AD in the avatar (if there is room) .
Now somebody better shut me up.

Old 05-10-2007, 02:44 PM   #2032

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stampin Wrose
Dang - I was hoping they would find you INNOCENT.

ROFL

(Please, put me away!)
Alas, I am entirely guilty of very long-winded posts...

Case is over, now off to an evening of training at our company offices uptown, O joy...
Old 05-10-2007, 08:48 PM   #2033

I was so tired last night, I was goofy.

Old 05-12-2007, 07:34 PM   #2034
Insane Embellisher

what an interesting thread. I will have to come back and read more when I have a bit more time.. hello everyone!
Old 05-13-2007, 08:21 AM   #2035
Polyshrink Goddess

Default Dawkins answers critics

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/com...cle1779771.ece

an rebuttal by Richard Dawkins to the allegation that he is a fundamentalist
great rebuttal in my opinion- I do not believe he is a fundamentalist and I do believe as he states that he has the right to criticise religion and people should stop being so damn precious about it - why should religion be exempt from criticism?

also- just been reading a short update on the Smallkowski farce-what do people think? i think he is and his family are extremely brave and deserve a medal- I also think the ACLU needs a kick up the butt - apologies if this as been debated before but I think it warrants constant debate.
Old 05-13-2007, 08:31 AM   #2036
Polyshrink Goddess

oops sorry- forgot the link for those of you who don't know about Smallkowski

http://www.atheists.org/flash.line/smalko1.htm
Old 05-13-2007, 01:17 PM   #2037

Quote:
oops sorry- forgot the link for those of you who don't know about Smallkowski

http://www.atheists.org/flash.line/smalko1.htm
Well, this is the first I heard of it, so thanks for the reference.

I really liked this at the end:

"The night of the verdict, tornados of unusual violence descended on the panhandle of Oklahoma. The home of the Principal who had brought the false charges against Chuck Smalkowski was severely damaged.

This fact has no relationship whatsoever to the verdict."

LOL

Old 05-14-2007, 01:42 PM   #2038
Polyshrink Goddess

Been reading some oldish stuff and came across this, which i haven't read for a while- and found it inspiring all over again- so for those of you who have never seen it before- this was a landmark case for athiests in the US - and a beautiful and eloquent piece of prose (apologies for the use of the male pronoun throughout but it was the 1960s and I have to leave it the way it was written - although i'm itching to change it)

'Your petitioners are Atheists and they define their lifestyle as follows. An Atheists loves himself and his fellow man instead of a god. An Atheist thinks that heaven is something for which we should work for now - here on earth- for all men together to enjoy. An Atheist accepts that he can get no help through prayer but that he must find in himself the inner conviction and strength to meet life, to grapple with it, subdue and enjoy it. An Atheist thinks that only in knowledge of himself and a knowledge of his fellow man can he find the understanding that will help to a life of fulfillment.

"Therefore, he seeks to know himself and his fellow man rather than to 'know' a god. An Atheist knows that a hospital should be built instead of a church. An Atheist knows that a deed must be done instead of a prayer said. An Atheist strives for involvement in life and not escape into death.

He wants disease conquered, poverty vanquished, war eliminated. He wants man to understand and love man. He wants an ethical way of life. He knows that we cannot rely on a god nor channel action into prayer nor hope for an end of troubles in a hereafter. He knows that we are our brothers' keepers in that we are, first, keepers of our lives; that we are responsible persons, that the job is here and the time is now."

Madalyn Murray

http://www.atheists.org/courthouse/petitioners.html
Old 05-14-2007, 05:57 PM   #2039
Kookie Creator

Culpepper, TFS. Sentiments for everyman, and still totally and completely relevant 40 years later (despite the use of the male pronoun!)
Old 05-18-2007, 12:41 PM   #2040
Glitter Guru

Samantha!! I got your card fronts today. They're very cute.