Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree155Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2010, 12:23 PM   #281
This reminds me of a Star Trek episode....

Quote:
Originally Posted by bksjones View Post
Since DH and I have been on our own and away from family we don't "do" Easter. I always thought of it as the Christian holy holiday and did not want any part of it. Then last year, on this thread, I learned about the Pagan basis for the holiday, and was amazed that I didn't put it together sooner (ancient Christians stole everything, didn't they?). We still won't "do" Easter this year, but I know when we have our own little people I won't feel hypocritical about doing the fun part of Easter.

I do love Spring and that is what I celebrate. Some years I send Happy Spring cards, but my Happy Easter stamp from All Year Cheer has never seen ink.

So true about pastel-wrapped chocolate. I love the commercial where they dye the mini Reese's cups. Reese's eggs are my fave, and I have resisted getting one so far this year, but I think I'll have to budget one into my points this weekend before they sell out!
Another point counter! Yes, I have quite a bit of points I'm going to have to eat very slowly......

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewsplendidstamper View Post
wait we're supposed to budget points? I thought if you buy it and eat it all in the same day and chase it with a diet coke all is good :-/
Goof. Let's see, I think it's

Prior Planning Prevents Poor Performance.

"Fun must be always." - Tomas Hertl, San Jose Sharks
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 04-02-2010, 01:55 PM   #282
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
wait we're supposed to budget points? I thought if you buy it and eat it all in the same day and chase it with a diet coke all is good :-/
That must be my problem...I wasn't chasing it with Diet Coke!
Old 04-02-2010, 03:06 PM   #283
Die Cut Diva

Hi, this is my first post on this thread and I am delighted to have found it!
I know how you feel, Barb, as I was horrified when I discovered Christians had hijacked Easter, as well as Christmas. My partner and I gave up celebrating Christmas many years ago and it is good to have a stress-free end to the year! I send out Winter Solstice cards instead.
Stephanie
Old 04-02-2010, 07:35 PM   #284

Welcome, Stephanie!!!

I'm glad you found us, too.

Old 04-02-2010, 08:55 PM   #285
Stazon Splitcoast

I love Easter and Christmas!! Just not the religious parts - Christianity shan't destroy my pleasure in these holidays! Love the eggs and bunnies and chicks for Easter, and I love the gingerbread, candy canes, mistletoe and holly for Christmas!

Unfortunately, this year I've not had time to make any Easter cards - I've been busy making Halloween cards! (because for Halloween 2009 I did not have time to make any Halloween cards - it was March 2009 and all of a sudden it was November and Halloween had just whooshed by me)
Old 04-02-2010, 09:04 PM   #286
Die Cut Diva

Hi Sophie, glad to hear you are getting what you love out of these holidays. Although I no longer exchange gifts on Christmas day, I do enjoy the holiday feeling, and same with Easter. I never felt Easter eggs were particularly Christian, so can eat an Easter egg very happily!
Stephanie
Old 04-03-2010, 05:39 AM   #287
Matboard Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkes View Post
Hi Sophie, glad to hear you are getting what you love out of these holidays. Although I no longer exchange gifts on Christmas day, I do enjoy the holiday feeling, and same with Easter. I never felt Easter eggs were particularly Christian, so can eat an Easter egg very happily!
Stephanie
I've always thought Easter has retained its pagan origins, beginning with the name. The eggs and bunnies are definitely a celebration of fertility and renewal, and that is what Easter is all about.
Old 04-03-2010, 07:06 PM   #288
Stazon Splitcoast

Stephanie! I actually DID eat an easter egg today!! When I came home (Saturday morning, because he'll be working nearly all of Easter Sunday) my husband greeted me at the door with a basket and said "Easter egg hunt!" *grin* I went around and happily found 11 eggs. He fretted that there was one more and he couldn't for the life of him remember where he had hidden it!! We looked and looked, and nope, couldn't find it. With the dozen eggs, he had decorated each one and painted a letter on each one so that all together, the eggs spelt out "Sophie I love u". *grin* We couldn't find the "p". Finally we gave up and he left for his parents' house. I got thirsty and went to get some cranberry juice from the fridge. There nestled between two containers of cranberry juice was the missing egg!!! Ahhhh! I took a picture of all the eggs and then promptly ate the "e". I LOVE hard-boiled eggs!
Attached Thumbnails
easter-eggs-2010.jpg  
Old 04-03-2010, 07:11 PM   #289
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkes View Post
Stephanie
Oh, I don't exchange Christmas gifts either!! I used to, years ago. I hated it - always felt like it was a burden, an obligation, and it took all the joy out of Christmas for me. So one year, I told my in-laws (they were the ones that I was buying for, primarily; my own parents and siblings had already stopped exchanging gifts long ago) that I was not going to do the gift thing. That was incredibly difficult (awkward and embarrassing) to do, but I'm very glad I did. Now I LOVE Christmas, 'cause all the burdens of gift-buying have been removed.

By the way Stephanie, so glad you found us!
Old 04-03-2010, 07:22 PM   #290
Die Cut Diva

Sophie - you are indeed a kindred spirit! I also had an awkward and embarrassing time telling my siblings I was no longer 'doing' Christmas (this was 20 years ago but I still remember the awkwardness, and feeling selfish). I hated the gift giving - the pressure to come up with an appropriate gift for 4 siblings plus parents all in a tight time frame. I was so relieved to discover that my partner Charlie also didn't like the pressure (this was at the beginning of our relationship) so we were able to present a united front. Have enjoyed Christmas ever since!
I have to say what a wonderful husband to do such a special Easter hunt for you. That was such a lovely story - not finding the 'p' until you were no longer looking!
Stephanie
Old 04-03-2010, 07:41 PM   #291
Stazon Splitcoast

Aye, it's wonderful isn't it, to not have that burden (of purchasing presents)! Once in a while I will actually WANT to buy stuff for someone, but then will put on the tag "from Santa", so they (hopefully) won't know it was from me, so they wouldn't start to expect stuff the following years...

I think this is the Jehovah Witnesses' way of doing things (my impression only; don't know too much about them) - they don't buy anything or celebrate anything; they just buy gifts randomly - that's what I prefer to do.

I do freely acknowledge that I AM actually quite selfish, but I'm okay with that. I've tried sharing, and it's just too unpleasant.

At Christmas it IS a little awkward 'cause my in-laws still give presents to me - surely they know they don't HAVE to, right? I do always still feel a flicker of awkwardness when that happens, but it soon passes. My mother-in-law insists on giving me gifts 'cause I put up and decorate her tree for her, and wrap all the presents she buys for others. But I LOVE doing stuff like that (decorating and wrapping). I also wrap presents for my sister-in-law, and she always gives us a loaf of fruit-cake. My other sister-in-law always gives me a really cool small ($5 to $10?) gift. I do feel guilty about that one 'cause I don't do anything for her in return. I make her a thank-you card for the gift, but that's about it.

My sister is the only one in my (blood-related) family who gives presents - she gives presents to all of us. I think she just does 'cause she enjoys it. Certainly she knows (I hope!!) she doesn't have to since for years now we have not given her Christmas presents in exchange... I buy stuff for her (actually, for her two kids) off her Amazon wish list randomly and also give them to her randomly so as to not set a precedent (for birthdays and Christmas).
Old 04-03-2010, 08:07 PM   #292
Die Cut Diva

I'm sure your in-laws do understand. My mum continued to give me Christmas presents as she said she couldn't give presents to the rest of the family and not me. I could see her point, but did feel that frisson of discomfort each time. I think you do heaps for your family, and that a hand-made thank-you card that has had your time and effort and love in it is a great way to say thanks for your sister-in-law's gift.
Stephanie
Old 04-04-2010, 03:36 AM   #293
Gallery Gazer

Send a message via MSN to corrosive69 Send a message via Yahoo to corrosive69

Sophie that is too cute!! What a great husband you have
I am the the opposite of you ladies, i LOVE giving gifts! Last Xmas i made a homemade picture frame for everyone in my family and my closest friends. It was a hit.
As for Easter..meh...i could care less either way. My family gets together and eats (we are italian so we get together at least once a week to eat! lol) that is about it.
Well i should get back to work...have a great sunday The weather is amazing here!!
hugs
Old 04-04-2010, 07:11 AM   #294
neglecting the kids and housework

Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLaFontaine View Post
Aye, it's wonderful isn't it, to not have that burden (of purchasing presents)! Once in a while I will actually WANT to buy stuff for someone, but then will put on the tag "from Santa", so they (hopefully) won't know it was from me, so they wouldn't start to expect stuff the following years...

I think this is the Jehovah Witnesses' way of doing things (my impression only; don't know too much about them) - they don't buy anything or celebrate anything; they just buy gifts randomly - that's what I prefer to do.

I do freely acknowledge that I AM actually quite selfish, but I'm okay with that. I've tried sharing, and it's just too unpleasant.

At Christmas it IS a little awkward 'cause my in-laws still give presents to me - surely they know they don't HAVE to, right? I do always still feel a flicker of awkwardness when that happens, but it soon passes. My mother-in-law insists on giving me gifts 'cause I put up and decorate her tree for her, and wrap all the presents she buys for others. But I LOVE doing stuff like that (decorating and wrapping). I also wrap presents for my sister-in-law, and she always gives us a loaf of fruit-cake. My other sister-in-law always gives me a really cool small ($5 to $10?) gift. I do feel guilty about that one 'cause I don't do anything for her in return. I make her a thank-you card for the gift, but that's about it.

My sister is the only one in my (blood-related) family who gives presents - she gives presents to all of us. I think she just does 'cause she enjoys it. Certainly she knows (I hope!!) she doesn't have to since for years now we have not given her Christmas presents in exchange... I buy stuff for her (actually, for her two kids) off her Amazon wish list randomly and also give them to her randomly so as to not set a precedent (for birthdays and Christmas).
This last Christmas DH and I declared we weren't buying for adults. I had no sense of remorse. It just wasn't something we could afford. I enjoy buying gifts whether small or extravagant. We asked all the adults not to buy for us as well. My in laws still got us things. For years we drew names of adults within the immediate family and only bought for one person. Again money issues got that tradition rolling. There are just too many siblings and cousins to be done.
Old 04-05-2010, 06:16 AM   #295
Pearl-ExPert

Default atheist movies?

Quote:
This last Christmas DH and I declared we weren't buying for adults. I had no sense of remorse. It just wasn't something we could afford. I enjoy buying gifts whether small or extravagant. We asked all the adults not to buy for us as well. My in laws still got us things. For years we drew names of adults within the immediate family and only bought for one person. Again money issues got that tradition rolling. There are just too many siblings and cousins to be done.
We stopped doing the gift thing with my sibs and kids just because we weren't all living in the same state anymore and didn't get together for Christmas.

On a somewhat different topic. I confess this humanist spent last night watching "Keys of the Kingdom." a 1944 movie based on a book by AJ Cronin. I love Gregory Peck so I had to watch. I realized I could still happily watch it because the priest, Father Chisolm was such an honorable atypical priest. He had respect for other traditions. Had an atheist friend he didn't try to convert, and a buddhist one. The atheist was portrayed in a very positive light. If Fr. Chiholm (Peck) converted anyone, it was by his actions not his words.

Anyone else think of movies with positive atheist roles? I'm drawing a blank.
Old 04-05-2010, 12:47 PM   #296
Stampin' Fool

I've known for years that Hobby Lobby was owned/operated by a Christian family - and I always thought it was neat that the stores were closed on Sundays so the employees could go to services. But this week HL ran a full page ad in the newspaper about Easter. After seeing the ad, I feel weird about shopping there - they don't carry anything I can't find elsewhere, so I wouldn't miss anything. It reminds me of the ads where folks advertise themselves as "christian" electricians or handymen.

http://www.christianpost.com/article...ter/index.html
Old 04-05-2010, 12:51 PM   #297

It's not Christian owned it's Christian person owed. And that would turn me off too.
And the implication that a business owned or run by someone of a particular faith, usually Christianity is in any way superior, more trustworthy, or better is ridiculous. People are in business to make money. They may be good, bad, fair, cheaters, happy, sad whatever they are still in it to make money
Old 04-05-2010, 12:53 PM   #298
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by frosted_gorilla View Post
I've known for years that Hobby Lobby was owned/operated by a Christian family - and I always thought it was neat that the stores were closed on Sundays so the employees could go to services. But this week HL ran a full page ad in the newspaper about Easter. After seeing the ad, I feel weird about shopping there - they don't carry anything I can't find elsewhere, so I wouldn't miss anything. It reminds me of the ads where folks advertise themselves as "christian" electricians or handymen.

http://www.christianpost.com/article...ter/index.html
I didn't know they were Christian (or closed on Sunday) until someone told me a year or so ago. I don't particularly like our HL just because you have to wade through all the home decor stuff to get to the craft stuff.
Old 04-05-2010, 02:01 PM   #299
Die Cut Diva

I am also turned off by Christian owned or operated businesses. In New Zealand there is a company called Sanitarium entirely owned by the Seventh-day Adventist Church. They supply breakfast cereals and health foods, and unfortunately have the greatest share of the cereal market in NZ. Charlie and I decided several years ago to avoid all Sanitarium products.
Stephanie
Old 04-05-2010, 03:00 PM   #300
Stazon Splitcoast

I don't have a Hobby Lobby's nearby, but I get the impression that they are like Michael's and JoAnn's. Since they took the ads out to explain Easter, does that mean they don't carry any secular Easter items in their stores, like Easter bunny stickers or plastic Easter eggs???
Old 04-06-2010, 03:48 AM   #301
Gallery Gazer

Funny story....
I made my friend a bday card and someone finds it offensive...
http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/ga...0&ppuser=70314

Slayer is a metal band, i am not satanic but apparently my card is the work of the devil (awesome, that is the look i was going for! lol). Anyway this lady PM's me that its offensive and i am the devil. I messaged her back and told her that christian type cards offend me but i don't PM the people who make them.

We shall see what happens...

janet
Old 04-06-2010, 05:54 AM   #302
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by corrosive69 View Post
Funny story....

Slayer is a metal band, i am not satanic but apparently my card is the work of the devil (awesome, that is the look i was going for! lol). Anyway this lady PM's me that its offensive and i am the devil. I messaged her back and told her that christian type cards offend me but i don't PM the people who make them.

janet
Shame on you for ruining her day. She must've had to look at the card for all of 4 seconds, lol! You didn't even have any naked ladies!

I may have to CASE your card for my heavy metal loving son. Where did you get the sword charms?
Old 04-06-2010, 06:05 AM   #303
Inking Addict

I noticed your card the day it was posted - thought it was awesome. I think she must be trying to be offended. Which is a strange way to spend her time but.... it takes all kinds.... (or so "they" say)

http://blinkthinkink.blogspot.com
Old 04-06-2010, 06:56 AM   #304
Gallery Gazer

I got the slayer image online, i searched for Slayer colouring pages. If you want a copy pm me your email addy and i will send it along the skulls and crosses came in a sticker kit i got at liquidation world for $1! lol
Old 04-06-2010, 08:54 AM   #305
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:
I got the slayer image online, i searched for Slayer colouring pages. If you want a copy pm me your email addy and i will send it along the skulls and crosses came in a sticker kit i got at liquidation world for $1! lol
Just wanted to pipe in that your card just ROCKS. My son would love a card like that as he loved Slayer in his teens. It is just a shame that with all that satanic worship and stuff, he is now happily married with 3 kids, owns a home, has a good job... all without any religious upbringing AND going through the satanic phase as a teen. How do Christians explain it? (Well, mostly they ignore the stats that don't mesh with their preconceptions.)

<running off to find that digi...>
Old 04-06-2010, 09:22 AM   #306
Stampin' Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLaFontaine View Post
I don't have a Hobby Lobby's nearby, but I get the impression that they are like Michael's and JoAnn's. Since they took the ads out to explain Easter, does that mean they don't carry any secular Easter items in their stores, like Easter bunny stickers or plastic Easter eggs???
They carry quite a bit of secular holiday decor items - including Easter baskets, eggs, bunnies. Usually half the store is home decor, and half is art/craft material. The only mention of religion I've seen there is the note on the door explaining that the stores are closed on Sunday so the employees can worship/spend time with their families (not entirely sure how it's worded) but other than that, there isn't a lot of overtly religious stuff there. They might play Christian music over the store loudspeakers, but I haven't paid much attention to that.
Old 04-06-2010, 01:22 PM   #307
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Funny story....

janet
Good answer. I hope she is suitably chastised. Something I would be tempted to do would be to pm her saying "But God saw the card and said he liked it" I have always wanted to call a Christian's bluff this way, but it would probably backfire on me!
Stephanie
Old 04-06-2010, 03:21 PM   #308
Die Cut Diva

Great card! I made sure to comment on it. It bugs me when people are so narrow minded. Um 80s hairband does not equate to devil worship... and even if it did, it would just be a marketing gimmick to get you to talk about their band and generate publicity!

On a different note... I got an email today from a lady at work who is organizing a women's expo event as a fundraiser and they are looking for home-based business and women business vendors. I'm working on doing more publicity/marketing for my photo and scrap-for-hire business, and thought it would be a good thing to do. Then I found out it was for a church and the fundraiser is to help cover costs to train women to do more churchy leadership things. So now I don't want to do it. I just can't justify giving money to these types of organizations because it's not what I believe in... and yet, it would have been such a good marketing experience.

For a moment I thought about emailing her back with the response "I don't believe in your God, will you let me participate anyway?" But I decided against it. I'm not really out of the non-believer closet yet.
Old 04-06-2010, 03:40 PM   #309
Die Cut Diva

Hi Denise. I can totally relate to your quandary, and good on you for staying strong.
Stephanie
Old 04-06-2010, 07:52 PM   #310
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Funny story....

janet
My hubby would love this. Too bad his bday was a few days ago on the 1st. I'll have to make it for next year. Every time you attend a Slayer concert, the Christians are outside the gates protesting with their signs.

I get so sick of the threads about what people find offensive. Just move on!
Old 04-06-2010, 08:26 PM   #311

Quote:
Funny story....

janet
You might want to save the PM in case you have to forward it to a mod.

Sheesh, did this woman PM everyone who used SU!'s skull halloween paper???

Old 04-06-2010, 08:27 PM   #312

just keeping with the theme here
Old 04-07-2010, 09:09 AM   #313
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Janet- You are the devil? That made me giggle.

The Hobby Lobby thing....I don't know. I don't need ministry with my glue sticks. I prefer my companies to remain neutral on religion and politics. I respect them for running their business as they see fit and standing up for their beliefs, I just don't want to support the same causes.

We had a lovely Easter. My kids had a great time finding eggs and loved their baskets. We went for a really nice family walk in the morning. We passed many churches which led to a lot of questions from my 4 year old. I always frame things in a neutral way like "Some people believe that....". I explained the resurrection in simple terms and she said "Pfftt...THAT didn't happen!". She's a logical little creature.

As we were approaching the park, we did have a woman invite us to church. We politely declined, obviously. My daughter probably would have been rolling her eyes all through the service. hehe
Old 04-07-2010, 09:38 AM   #314
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by frosted_gorilla View Post
They might play Christian music over the store loudspeakers, but I haven't paid much attention to that.
Oh, they definitely play Christian music! It's all Muzak-ed, but listen closely. They take hymns and put them to different styles of music. I was tapping my toes along with a bouncy little song in there one day, when all of a sudden I noticed that the song was "Onward Christian Soldiers". Creepy. Once I started paying attention, I realized that's absolutely all they play. Drives me insane.

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing it is stupid. - Albert Einstein
Old 04-07-2010, 12:55 PM   #315
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdjkssss View Post
Oh, they definitely play Christian music! It's all Muzak-ed, but listen closely. They take hymns and put them to different styles of music. I was tapping my toes along with a bouncy little song in there one day, when all of a sudden I noticed that the song was "Onward Christian Soldiers". Creepy. Once I started paying attention, I realized that's absolutely all they play. Drives me insane.
My sister will make up lyrics specifically for her kids and set them to the tune of hymns, and sing them to the kids. Sometimes I'll come home from visiting her and find myself humming one of those tunes and suddenly realize that the melody's from a hymn! *grin* It doesn't bother me unless someone is around who might hear me and then mistake me for a Christian.

Oh, this is a bit late for April Fool's - but I didn't remember until now... Several years ago, on April Fool's, I told my favourite religious-debate partner at work that I had accepted Jesus into my heart. I managed to keep a very straight and serious face as I told her. She registered disbelief, then a struggle to decide whether or not I was kidding, and finally said she was happy for me. *grin* Then I said "April Fool's" and she laughed and whacked me and said she KNEW it!
Old 04-07-2010, 01:20 PM   #316
Gallery Gazer

thanks for the love ladies i haven't heard back from that lady yet...lets hope it stays that way!! lol
Old 04-07-2010, 02:52 PM   #317
Stazon Splitcoast

As I was looking at these stamps:
http://www.stampotique.com/stamp/penney-torrente.html
I wondered what your Christian PMing lady would think of them. Certainly these images could be seen as satanic, but I think they are just adorable - ghastly, goth, and adorable, especially the ones on the last pages.
Old 04-07-2010, 05:02 PM   #318
Gallery Gazer

OMG i have some of those stamps. I love the Penney Torrente ones! I have to pull them out soon! I love gothic type stamps.
Old 04-07-2010, 05:26 PM   #319
Stazon Splitcoast

The Penney Torrente ones are my FAVOURITES!!! But I can't think of who I would send them to. They would be perfect if I were to make cards to send to MYSELF ya know what I mean? <grin> <sigh>
Old 04-08-2010, 03:32 AM   #320
Hardware Hotshot

An Atheist believes that a hospital should be built instead of a church. An atheist believes that deed must be done instead of prayer said. An atheist strives for involvement in life and not escape into death. He wants disease conquered, poverty vanished, war eliminated.
Madalyn Murray O'Hair

Quote of the Day~