Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree138Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2013, 04:27 AM   #2641
Stazon Splitcoast

I think it's wonderful! Sometimes I find to my utter surprise (because most of the time I'm very anti-social) that I am just a little bit jealous of my religious friends and family because they get to go to a social gathering (church). If there was an atheist "church" in my area, I would probably only go once a year or so... but I would look forward to joining sub-groups that I hope someone would form, like an atheist card-making group or something like that... and I think my brother would go once in a while to any singles group that is started...
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 11-11-2013, 09:26 AM   #2642
Pearl-ExPert

I have a problem with calling them churches. Wish they'd call them communities or even fellowships. Personally I don't need singing. I like the aspect that they have a higher profile in the community. Of course it brings you together with other atheists which can only be a good thing.
Old 11-11-2013, 09:56 AM   #2643
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinois Marge View Post
What do you think of this -- atheist "churches"?

Atheist 'mega-churches' take root across US, world
I think it is a great idea. More power to them. Athiests can have the feeling of community, of where they can be themselves instead of having to hide. Athiests can now have a voice. May they use it to shout loud.
Stephanie
Old 11-11-2013, 10:30 AM   #2644
This reminds me of a Star Trek episode....

I think it's fine. I've often said that some people continue to go to church for social reasons. So for those who miss that, this is great.

"Fun must be always." - Tomas Hertl, San Jose Sharks
Old 11-12-2013, 02:33 AM   #2645
Embossing Fanatic

Re:Atheist 'mega-churches' take root across US, world
For the past 20 years I have been a member of a congregation that is mostly composed of Humanists and Atheists. We have helped and supported one another, been inspired by some great speakers and courses and participated both individually and as a group in social action projects. You would all be so welcome and, I believe, feel at home. We are a Unitarian Congregation in Toronto, Canada. Check out the Hymn Book "Singing The Living Tradition". I find inspiration and lyrics that I can relate to in that book. Cheers!
Carmellia likes this post.
Old 11-12-2013, 06:19 AM   #2646
Pearl-ExPert

Default Friendly Atheist responds to Mega churches for atheist

..There’s a simple reason they’re getting that label: It’s sexy. No one’s Googling the “Sunday Assembly,” which is the official name for these events. But “atheist church,” which I’ve used on this site, is just more clickable. People want to read articles about “atheist churches,” not “Sunday assemblies.” And when the media is saturated with articles about atheist churches, might as well move on to atheist megachurches...

...Here’s the most important thing: The Sunday Assembly doesn’t even “preach atheism.” In fact, when I was asked to speak at last Friday’s inaugural event in Chicago, I was specifically told not to talk about atheism. That’s because these events aren’t about getting rid of your faith habit. They’re about celebrating life. That’s it...

The full post is here.

I'm glad to hear they aren't calling themselves churches.
Old 11-12-2013, 10:41 AM   #2647

That was an excellent post, thanks Martha. He did allay some of my concerns. Nice.

I remember driving DD to a soccer game a few years ago, on a Sunday morning, and it was up toward Palo Alto, a bit of a drive, but I remember on some small street near the field, passing a sign outside a building, a small sign stuck in the grass. "Humanist meeting." And I remember smiling and thinking I'd never see that back in my home town.

Old 11-20-2013, 05:00 AM   #2648
Pearl-ExPert

Default SU sends religious themed Paper Pumpkin kit

I've been trying out SU's monthly kits. It's nice to get something fun in the mail. This months offering was a Christmas card kit with the word Noel on the front. To be fair, the base and additional pieces of glitter paper stars are obviously more generic.

I emailed SU and received a nice reply saying "not every kit is to is everyone's taste." They are offering me free product equivalent to the price of the kit which is $20. That's very nice of course. Still I'm trying to think of a reply that emphasizes that this is not just a matter of personal *taste* but is something more than that. Perhaps I am making too much of this, but I think we must make our point where we can.
Old 11-20-2013, 08:42 AM   #2649
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily55 View Post
I've been trying out SU's monthly kits. It's nice to get something fun in the mail. This months offering was a Christmas card kit with the word Noel on the front. To be fair, the base and additional pieces of glitter paper stars are obviously more generic.

I emailed SU and received a nice reply saying "not every kit is to is everyone's taste." They are offering me free product equivalent to the price of the kit which is $20. That's very nice of course. Still I'm trying to think of a reply that emphasizes that this is not just a matter of personal *taste* but is something more than that. Perhaps I am making too much of this, but I think we must make our point where we can.
I'm not very involved with SU and have only purchased a few of their products since I started making cards. That said, it is my understanding that the company owners are quite "Christian", so it doesn't surprise me that they would have the word "Noel" in the kit. That's nice they offered an equivalent value to you.

Of course, you can express your feelings about this to the company, if it would make you feel true to yourself. I wouldn't hold my breath thinking it will change their product line, however. And really, a private company selling items to the general public can offer anything they want. We don't have to purchase it. Since you were not expecting the kit to have the word "Noel", I think they have done the right thing by offering to exchange the kit for you.

I will add, I've noticed that many siggy lines on SCS have biblical quotes, so a large majority of paper crafters seem to take their religious beliefs very seriously.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
ceramicat1 likes this post.
Old 11-20-2013, 10:02 AM   #2650
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

I agree that we should make the point where we can. If it were me I would write back and after thanking them for the offer of free product, politely say that it isn't a matter of taste, that athiests celebrate Christmas too, for various reasons, and if they want to make their Christmas products more appealing to the wider market they should rethink the words they use. This way you have done all the right things: acknowledged their offer, appealed to their business sense, made a counter suggestion, and had the last word!

People won't know we athiests are here in number if we don't let let them know in any way we can.

Stephanie
nickelini likes this post.
Old 11-20-2013, 10:36 AM   #2651
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggainok View Post
I'm not very involved with SU and have only purchased a few of their products since I started making cards. That said, it is my understanding that the company owners are quite "Christian", so it doesn't surprise me that they would have the word "Noel" in the kit. That's nice they offered an equivalent value to you.

Of course, you can express your feelings about this to the company, if it would make you feel true to yourself. I wouldn't hold my breath thinking it will change their product line, however. And really, a private company selling items to the general public can offer anything they want. We don't have to purchase it. Since you were not expecting the kit to have the word "Noel", I think they have done the right thing by offering to exchange the kit for you.

I will add, I've noticed that many siggy lines on SCS have biblical quotes, so a large majority of paper crafters seem to take their religious beliefs very seriously.
I think we're all well aware of how many people feel the need to evangelize on this site. You're right they can sell whatever they want and I won't change anyone's mind but I still want them to know what I think. I have spent a lot of money on them over the years.
Old 11-20-2013, 10:40 AM   #2652
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkes View Post
I agree that we should make the point where we can. If it were me I would write back and after thanking them for the offer of free product, politely say that it isn't a matter of taste, that athiests celebrate Christmas too, for various reasons, and if they want to make their Christmas products more appealing to the wider market they should rethink the words they use. This way you have done all the right things: acknowledged their offer, appealed to their business sense, made a counter suggestion, and had the last word!

People won't know we athiests are here in number if we don't let let them know in any way we can.

Stephanie
I like the way you phrased this. I hadn't even thought of mentioning that some atheists celebrate Christmas! Thanks for that.
Old 11-20-2013, 08:51 PM   #2653
Die Cut Diva

Martha, check out Lyssa's blog post here: Mmmmm... leftovers! (Paper Pumpkin ones) - Song of My Heart Stampers

She used the MPP kit elements to create a lot of cute cards that don't feature the "Noel" stamp (Ok one does) so I may use those ideas with my to-be-opened kit. Those star banners are adorable, so I'm going to have fun with the rest of the supplies and perhaps offer Noel up as a door prize/thank you for ordering type of gift to a customer who will get more use out of it than I will.
Old 11-21-2013, 05:37 AM   #2654
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makalah View Post
Martha, check out Lyssa's blog post here: Mmmmm... leftovers! (Paper Pumpkin ones) - Song of My Heart Stampers

She used the MPP kit elements to create a lot of cute cards that don't feature the "Noel" stamp (Ok one does) so I may use those ideas with my to-be-opened kit. Those star banners are adorable, so I'm going to have fun with the rest of the supplies and perhaps offer Noel up as a door prize/thank you for ordering type of gift to a customer who will get more use out of it than I will.
Thanks Makalah! I read her blog once in a while and she is very creative. The Noel isn't a stamp. It's a pre-printed piece. but I guess I will just turn it to the other side and stamp there. And I will still get a free stamp set from SU Wish I lived in Madison.
Old 11-25-2013, 12:59 PM   #2655
Stazon Splitcoast

What would bother me most is if the word "Noel" is missing the two dots above the "e". it ought to be "Noël". I use this word on most of my Christmas cards! It avoids the whole "Merry-Christmas/Happy-Holidays" argument. I know this completely misses the point. But the two dots ought to be there!
ceramicat1 likes this post.
Old 11-25-2013, 04:01 PM   #2656
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLaFontaine View Post
What would bother me most is if the word "Noel" is missing the two dots above the "e". it ought to be "Noël". I use this word on most of my Christmas cards! It avoids the whole "Merry-Christmas/Happy-Holidays" argument. I know this completely misses the point. But the two dots ought to be there!
Sophie I'm not surprised you would insist on the pronunciation marks, or whatever they're called. And no it did not have the marks. The four letter were written in a block. As in NO on the top and EL underneath.

Now I've learned something too. I made a whole fuss about the word because I always thought it meant "He is come" or something like that. And of course you mostly hear it in religious carols, at least in the US. How embarrassing! So should I email SU back and tell them they don't have to send my free stamp set? Live and learn...
Old 11-25-2013, 04:09 PM   #2657
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Now I've learned something too. I made a whole fuss about the word because I always thought it meant "He is come" or something like that. And of course you mostly hear it in religious carols, at least in the US. How embarrassing! So should I email SU back and tell them they don't have to send my free stamp set? Live and learn...
No, get the free stamp set!
Stephanie
SophieLaFontaine and tigerlily55 like this post.
Old 11-25-2013, 04:26 PM   #2658

I always thought Noel just meant Christmas or Carol. Either way, it seems to presume that you celebrate the Christian holiday of Christmas, which is probably true of most Americans but certainly not all. I'm sure Jewish crafters will also not be using Noel. So they do need to think about this marketing to all and then sending something not all might be able to use. Christians can find Christmas specific stamps to choose from the catalog if they want, but I think when they are sending out a kit that you don't get a choice in, they need to be less specific.

ceramicat1 and tigerlily55 like this post.
Old 11-26-2013, 03:39 AM   #2659
Stazon Splitcoast

In the spirit of Noel (Noël!), I'd like to share this wonderful rendition of "Noel", by the Animaniacs:
Animaniacs - Noel - YouTube

edited to add: Yeah, get the free stamp set!!!
Old 11-26-2013, 04:47 AM   #2660
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
In the spirit of Noel (Noël!), I'd like to share this wonderful rendition of "Noel", by the Animaniacs:
Animaniacs - Noel - YouTube

That was really cute Sophie! And yeah you guys, I am totally keeping the free stamp set that is probably on its way to me on it's way to me.
Old 11-26-2013, 10:21 AM   #2661
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

In my defence, I did answer the question!!

Stephanie
Old 11-26-2013, 01:43 PM   #2662
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
That was really cute Sophie! And yeah you guys, I am totally keeping the free stamp set that is probably on its way to me on it's way to me.
My stamp set, Giggle Greetings, arrived today and I'm keeping it! Lol
Old 11-26-2013, 02:25 PM   #2663
Stazon Splitcoast

Ooh, that is a really cute stamp set!! I like that artist's drawing style!
Old 11-26-2013, 03:27 PM   #2664

I'd like to see a poll conducted across the U.S. asking how many people believe that some of the stuff in TV shows today is "possible."

Grimm - people living among us but are really the creatures from fairy tales and they can make everyone see them as human except Mr. Grimm who is actually trying to get everybody to get along.

Once Upon a Time - more fairy tale people living in a town in the U.S.

Sleepy Hollow - I like this one for the Revolutionary War references, my favorite time period.

I mean, we've had Zombies and Vampires around forever, Dark Shadows, Walking Dead, Twilight Series - that's more than Zombies, right? So is this just the current fad? Still I'd like to see a poll. I think because so many Americans already accept a lot of really supernatural stuff, they might be more ready to believe some of this stuff could be true.

I don't believe in any of it, I believe we don't understand everything yet, scientifically but I don't believe anything beyond that, not one bit. I can't believe I'd have lived this long and never actually seen anything - other on TV or in the movies. I'm actually surprised I've never seen a car chase, or a shooting, or ... anything. A boring life, or are these things just not as common as they seem on the news. Other than in some very specific areas in most metropolitan areas....

Everybody be careful out there, bad weather in lots of places.

Old 11-27-2013, 05:41 AM   #2665
Pearl-ExPert

Default Agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stampin Wrose View Post
I'd like to see a poll conducted across the U.S. asking how many people believe that some of the stuff in TV shows today is "possible."

Grimm - people living among us but are really the creatures from fairy tales and they can make everyone see them as human except Mr. Grimm who is actually trying to get everybody to get along.

Once Upon a Time - more fairy tale people living in a town in the U.S.

Sleepy Hollow - I like this one for the Revolutionary War references, my favorite time period.

I mean, we've had Zombies and Vampires around forever, Dark Shadows, Walking Dead, Twilight Series - that's more than Zombies, right? So is this just the current fad? Still I'd like to see a poll. I think because so many Americans already accept a lot of really supernatural stuff, they might be more ready to believe some of this stuff could be true.

I don't believe in any of it, I believe we don't understand everything yet, scientifically but I don't believe anything beyond that, not one bit. I can't believe I'd have lived this long and never actually seen anything - other on TV or in the movies. I'm actually surprised I've never seen a car chase, or a shooting, or ... anything. A boring life, or are these things just not as common as they seem on the news. Other than in some very specific areas in most metropolitan areas....

Everybody be careful out there, bad weather in lots of places.
Wrose, I'm finding it harder and harder to suspend my skeptical antennae in order to enjoy a fictional plot. As for the mystical or supernatural, I can't go there at all (except for my favorite Xmas movies ). I think many people just enjoy it for the escapism. On the other hand I was appalled to meet a woman who had invited ghost hunters into her house!

For the past decade or more we've had crime rates the same as the 60's or 70's. It seems the news and entertainment industry is bent on making us feel afraid.
Old 11-27-2013, 06:59 AM   #2666
Stazon Splitcoast

Skeptical antennae, lol. Me too. It's even hard for me to believe shows like Modern Family (no ghosts or anything!!) - they're funny as hell, but I roll my eyes and think "this never happens in real life". Or crime dramas - they seem so fake compared to shows documenting real-life crimes (like Unusual Suspects [where all the suspects are usual]).

Edited to add: Even though I believe none of it, I still enjoy watching them. I love the graphics in Alice in Wonderland, Once Upon a Time (?). I watched all four episodes in one go so I've forgotten its exact name. And even though I EXPECT such shows to be unbelievable, at some points I REALLY roll my eyes and think this WOULD NEVER HAPPEN IN REAL LIFE... for example, I was thinking that if this was real life, Alice and the Knave of Hearts would've slept together by now, if only for the casual sex!!!!!!!!! And the Red Queen would've definitely slept with Jafar... the characters' non-existent sex drives are soooooooooooooooooo FAKE. Okay, sorry, rant over.

Last edited by SophieLaFontaine; 11-27-2013 at 07:04 AM..
Old 11-27-2013, 09:01 AM   #2667
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

For the past decade or more we've had crime rates the same as the 60's or 70's. It seems the news and entertainment industry is bent on making us feel afraid.
I think you have put your finger on it here. The media industry abhors a vacuum as much as nature.
Stephanie
Old 11-27-2013, 09:16 AM   #2668
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkes View Post
I think you have put your finger on it here. The media industry abhors a vacuum as much as nature.
Stephanie
Yes, even the weather dept at the local TV station is now the STORM Center!
Old 11-27-2013, 10:36 AM   #2669

I also enjoy some of the shows, although I pretty much gave up on sitcoms awhile back. It just seems like even the ones I liked, had some character that was so unbelievably stupid and all these otherwise normal intelligent people just put up with the idiot like it was normal. I don't mean mentally challenged, just STOOPID to be funny. Turned me off. Sigh.

I like humor in dramas. I like NCIS the best (doh), lots of humor along with the drama. Shows like Psych is 98% humor, 2% drama so I kind of only watch that late at night on reruns when nothing else is on.......

Yeah that's true about the media. I have been trying to pay more attention to the local news cast. It's not what would have been called news 40 years ago, for the most part. They did a couple nights on a food drive, but it was all at one store chain and they had news people at stores all over the bay area. I know other stores also do the bag. But this was a Promotion, not a news bit. It was so obvious. Sigh.

Old 11-28-2013, 05:39 AM   #2670
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
I also enjoy some of the shows, although I pretty much gave up on sitcoms awhile back. It just seems like even the ones I liked, had some character that was so unbelievably stupid and all these otherwise normal intelligent people just put up with the idiot like it was normal. I don't mean mentally challenged, just STOOPID to be funny. Turned me off. Sigh.

I like humor in dramas. I like NCIS the best (doh), lots of humor along with the drama. Shows like Psych is 98% humor, 2% drama so I kind of only watch that late at night on reruns when nothing else is on.......

Oh Wrose, you are making me want to try out NCIS. I could use some humor with my drama. Plus Mark Harmon is easy on the eyes Since I know you have excellent taste because of your other obsession, Star Trek, I think I might like it! Lol

Yeah that's true about the media. I have been trying to pay more attention to the local news cast. It's not what would have been called news 40 years ago, for the most part. They did a couple nights on a food drive, but it was all at one store chain and they had news people at stores all over the bay area. I know other stores also do the bag. But this was a Promotion, not a news bit. It was so obvious. Sigh.

Yes, there are many informational segments on local TV that are not acknowledged as being produced by a specific company. I know because my ex was involved in producing one involving faucets. He was in marketing at American Standard.
Oh, and Happy Turkey Day everyone! Off to make my appetizer to take to my brother's house.
Old 11-28-2013, 05:47 AM   #2671
Pearl-ExPert

Thumbs up heathen Holiday cards

Heathen Holiday Card Giveaway!
Old 11-28-2013, 12:03 PM   #2672

Too funny, Martha!

Hey I got Lydia watching NCIS, season by season, catching up. I love it, the USA channel frequently runs day-long marathons of reruns, and if I'm home, that's my background music. I just love it. Some of them STILL bring a tear to my eye, even though I've seen the episode many times before. And lots of giggles.

Old 12-04-2013, 07:50 PM   #2673
Pearl-ExPert

Default Star Trek Christmas

Somewhat off topic. Kathy, my son sent me this link of Capt Picard and crew singing "Let it Snow." Too cute!

Captain Picard sings "Let it Snow!" - YouTube
Old 12-04-2013, 08:43 PM   #2674
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Somewhat off topic. Kathy, my son sent me this link of Capt Picard and crew singing "Let it Snow." Too cute!

Captain Picard sings "Let it Snow!" - YouTube
LOL This is hilarious!!
Old 12-05-2013, 10:15 AM   #2675

Oh thank you, Martha! I have had it sent to me a couple of times already but spread it around! It's so funny!!!

Old 12-05-2013, 10:17 AM   #2676

DH and I probably laughed the most at "Shut Up, Wesley!" ha ha ha

Old 12-05-2013, 06:54 PM   #2677
Hardware Hotshot

That was great! I'll have to show it to DH!

"If a person who indulges in gluttony is a glutton, and a person who commits a felony is a felon, then God is an iron.”
― Spider Robinson
Old 12-07-2013, 11:16 AM   #2678

I'm wondering if Bugga in OK felt that earthquake today!!!!!

Old 12-07-2013, 12:38 PM   #2679
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
I'm wondering if Bugga in OK felt that earthquake today!!!!!
Thanks for thinking of me, Kathy! No, we did not feel it where we live. Oklahoma City has a huge metro square mile area. The earthquake was more toward the east side of town, and we live on the far west side.

However, we are digging out from a 5 inch snowstorm which showed up Thursday, with record low temps for us. It got down to 3 degrees here last night!

We will have the snow on the ground and side streets for a while. It won't get above freezing until the middle of next week.

I tend to be one of those Christmas shoppers who wants to run out and get "just one more present" ha! I think it is good that I have been stuck at home for a few days.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Old 12-07-2013, 12:57 PM   #2680

Oh bummer, it's fun to feel the ones that don't do any damage!

Yes this storm is nuts. It hit us a few days ago, and then it rained most of last night, I'm not sure if any of the surrounding mountains have snow or not. I haven't been out to see. We're too close to the hills to see from here.

Then my DD in Atlanta had 76 degrees and my DS in Ohio had inches of snow! Crazy!