Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree138Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2013, 05:04 AM   #2481
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily55 View Post
So, I mentioned how my book club selection was an extremely religious story.
I actually got it from the library to see if I could go to the meeting and keep my sanity.

The terrible sin this little girl was guilty of was wishing her sister dead and then her sister, the favorite of their mother, tragically died. I read about 1/3 of the book and then skipped ahead to find out what happened.

I decided I would lose too many sanity points if I were to go to the meeting. When I RSVP to the meeting on Meet-Up I can also leave a comment. I was thinking of saying I feel this book is of very narrow interest in a general interest group but that's just me.

I just talked to a friend who suggested I make my choice the Poisonwood Bible. If you're not familiar with the book it's about a man whose blind faith ends up costing his family terribly.

I have read Poisonwood Bible twice. There is so much detail/complexity to the story that the second time around I enjoyed it more than the first. It ranks up there with the top 10 books I have read.

Regarding the other book club selection. I do enjoy reading books on topics I normally wouldn't personally choose - that is the advantage I see belonging to my book club. We have read stuff I would never pick from the shelf. I did not "like" all the books but I did gain something or learn something from all of them. So maybe look at it from that angle. It is simply exposure to another point of view. I wouldn't be too harsh in the comments.
Old 06-02-2013, 10:18 AM   #2482
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinois Marge View Post
I have read Poisonwood Bible twice. There is so much detail/complexity to the story that the second time around I enjoyed it more than the first. It ranks up there with the top 10 books I have read.

Regarding the other book club selection. I do enjoy reading books on topics I normally wouldn't personally choose - that is the advantage I see belonging to my book club. We have read stuff I would never pick from the shelf. I did not "like" all the books but I did gain something or learn something from all of them. So maybe look at it from that angle. It is simply exposure to another point of view. I wouldn't be too harsh in the comments.
I understand the idea of reading something you wouldn't normally read. In the case of this type of book. I can't avoid the conclusion that either she's proselytizing or she's expecting the non-religious not to question the book and it's ideas. No one who lives in this country could be unfamiliar with Christian belief. Maybe I'm missing something but that's what I think. Now you're making me think I should go to the discussion!

Last edited by tigerlily55; 06-02-2013 at 10:24 AM.. Reason: Add sentence
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 06-02-2013, 10:40 AM   #2483
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlysonRR View Post
Just two fundraisers for Rebecca have raised $60K. This article points out that the cost of a new home in this town is ~$125K and that they've lost all their belongings.

Atheists Raise Massive Amounts of Money to Help Rebecca Vitsmun Rebuild Her Life

There are other atheist-organized fundraisers for OK victims in general (ie., no questions about faith or lack thereof), but it's good to know our community is taking care of its own
I think it's great the country saw this young woman say she's an atheist. I hope she had insurance to rebuild her home or maybe OK insurance won't cover tornadoes? She definitely needs help but I'm curious that some of the money should have been given to the Red Cross or something. It's good to see she decided on her own to give some of the money to others. My 2 cents.
Old 06-02-2013, 11:41 AM   #2484
This reminds me of a Star Trek episode....

Quote:
I think it's great the country saw this young woman say she's an atheist. I hope she had insurance to rebuild her home or maybe OK insurance won't cover tornadoes? She definitely needs help but I'm curious that some of the money should have been given to the Red Cross or something. It's good to see she decided on her own to give some of the money to others. My 2 cents.
They did talk about this in one article I saw, that atheists shouldn't be seen as donating only to other atheists, but apparently they aren't - I can't remember the details now, but yeah that wouldn't be great PR for atheists, either.

I'm going to guess that most atheists give the same way religious people do - to a disaster, without caring who gets it, whatever they can.

Out here, earthquake insurance is separate and optional. Most people (like us, I guess) weigh their location with the age of the home (built to new standards?) with the cost, and the fact that it doesn't cover everything, has a very high deductible, and what are the odds...... We don't have it. We have a newer home, relatively, and it's built in an area of bedrock rather than lower in the valley where there's a lot of silt, and well, you roll the dice and take your chances.

We didn't have flood insurance in Florida, either, even though we were a mile away from the water. But we were west of the RR tracks berm, and it wasn't required as in other areas, and we basically took the risk. Fortunately we've been okay so far, here and there.

I don't know if tornado insurance is available or what. Even the safe rooms they talked about, how few people actually ever get hit despite what we see on the news, there are vast areas where people have never had a tornado, and so again you are weighing the cost of spending thousands on the off chance you might need it.

I mean for me it seems like a no-brainer, but then again, I can see if you have lived somewhere (or your family has) for years and years, and you think, heck we've never needed it, and money isn't exactly flowing..... yeah it becomes a choice. I saw one guy on the news telling people that if they knew a neighbor with a safe room, go knock on their door!

"Fun must be always." - Tomas Hertl, San Jose Sharks
Old 06-02-2013, 12:03 PM   #2485

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilactime View Post
Once again this brings me back to memories of Santa "He sees you when you're sleeping, he knows when you're awake...) That used to creep me out when I was a kid! As an adult I often have a giggle thinking about how messy it could get "up there" when spouses try to re-unite with their partners but they have re-married, who decides how old they all will be and who gets to re-unite with who etc...;o)
It's amazing how much Santa is like God, but it's okay to stop believing that Santa can do all that stuff......

Old 06-02-2013, 12:50 PM   #2486
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilactime View Post
Once again this brings me back to memories of Santa "He sees you when you're sleeping, he knows when you're awake...) That used to creep me out when I was a kid!
I didn't believe in Santa so I was spared that particular brand of creepiness.
Stephanie

Last edited by parkes; 06-02-2013 at 12:51 PM.. Reason: removed ambiquous phrasing
Old 06-03-2013, 05:11 AM   #2487
Glitter Guru

Quote:
I think it's great the country saw this young woman say she's an atheist. ... She definitely needs help but I'm curious that some of the money should have been given to the Red Cross or something. It's good to see she decided on her own to give some of the money to others. My 2 cents.
The Foundation Beyond Belief has organized a general fundraiser for OK tornado relief (they're over $40K at this point): Humanist Crisis Response | Foundation Beyond Belief

As a tangent, FBB have a cool mission, IMO - they collect monthly subscription donations for five charities chosen at the beginning of the year by members. One charity is chosen from each of these categories: Poverty&Health, The Natural World (environment), Education, Human Rights, and Challenge the Gap (religious charities that are willing to work with nontheists toward mutual goals). Here are this year's beneficiaries: Current Beneficiaries | Foundation Beyond Belief

They also collect and distribute funds to a limited number of humanitarian crises, such as the Japanese tsunami or, now, the OK tornadoes.

I know Atheists Giving Aid are also collecting funds for OK - I'm not sure how much they have collected.

And there are atheist groups who have traveled to the Moore area to help in cleanup (can't find the link of first-hand reports that I read on blogs recently...).

The Red Cross are a great place to donate, but sometimes it is nice to personalize a donation. With Oklahoma being known as a very Christian state, I like that my donation will be labeled as nontheist and humanist. Too many religious people still believe atheists are evil - I like counteracting that impression/heartfelt belief whenever possible.
Old 06-03-2013, 05:34 AM   #2488
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
The Foundation Beyond Belief has organized a general fundraiser for OK tornado relief (they're over $40K at this point): Humanist Crisis Response | Foundation Beyond Belief

As a tangent, FBB have a cool mission, IMO - they collect monthly subscription donations for five charities chosen at the beginning of the year by members. One charity is chosen from each of these categories: Poverty&Health, The Natural World (environment), Education, Human Rights, and Challenge the Gap (religious charities that are willing to work with nontheists toward mutual goals). Here are this year's beneficiaries: Current Beneficiaries | Foundation Beyond Belief

They also collect and distribute funds to a limited number of humanitarian crises, such as the Japanese tsunami or, now, the OK tornadoes.

I know Atheists Giving Aid are also collecting funds for OK - I'm not sure how much they have collected.

And there are atheist groups who have traveled to the Moore area to help in cleanup (can't find the link of first-hand reports that I read on blogs recently...).

The Red Cross are a great place to donate, but sometimes it is nice to personalize a donation. With Oklahoma being known as a very Christian state, I like that my donation will be labeled as nontheist and humanist. Too many religious people still believe atheists are evil - I like counteracting that impression/heartfelt belief whenever possible.
Thanks for reminding me about this group!
Old 06-03-2013, 05:43 AM   #2489
Embossing Fanatic

Yes, I always knew at some level that Santa was a myth.
Old 06-03-2013, 10:07 AM   #2490

Quote:
Too many religious people still believe atheists are evil - I like counteracting that impression/heartfelt belief whenever possible.
Me too!

Old 06-03-2013, 12:08 PM   #2491
Mad Swapper

[QUOTE=Stampin Wrose;20186533
And I have a friend who is not at all religious but says it makes her feel better to think her deceased parents are "watching over her." I said I can understand that until I really think about it, and then I wonder what and when exactly are they watching, and if indeed dead people could watch us, well that REALLY creeps me out.[/QUOTE]

If my mom is out there watching me, I have a lot of stuff to say to her! And she's not going to want to hear it. The whole concept is creepy. And if you get to watch people after you die, do you see everyone, and everything? Because I've had some good friends die, but I don't exactly want them watching me take a shower now. Creepy concept.

View My Gallery
Old 06-04-2013, 01:18 PM   #2492
Glitter Guru

Just wanted to share this link, from a blogger who lives in OK, regarding non-theist contributions to those affected by the recent tornadoes:

RDR: A little "irreligious" list for righteously indignant Christian pastor David Brassfield
Old 06-04-2013, 01:49 PM   #2493
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
Just wanted to share this link, from a blogger who lives in OK, regarding non-theist contributions to those affected by the recent tornadoes:

RDR: A little "irreligious" list for righteously indignant Christian pastor David Brassfield
My granddaughter who lives in Oklahoma City belongs to a Secular Parenting Group. Their members have all been posting on Facebook almost daily about places they are going to volunteer and help tornado victims.

These are mostly young parents with small children who belong to this group. They are not rich in money, but rich in human compassion and a desire to help others.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Old 06-04-2013, 06:51 PM   #2494

Quote:

See what they want to see, don't they.

Old 06-04-2013, 09:18 PM   #2495
Glitter Guru

Yeah, just like the author of the blog, I sincerely doubt that pastor had even bothered to look for non-theists contributing to disaster relief before blasting them as do-nothings in his sermon. Do your research, people! (not us people - we're usually pretty good about that )
Old 06-07-2013, 06:54 PM   #2496
Embossing Fanatic

Default Survey Says - Atheists, Agnostics most knowledgeable about religion.

Here is an article in the L.A. Times that members might find of interest.

Atheists, agnostics most knowledgeable about religion, survey says - Los Angeles Times

Lilactime
Old 06-08-2013, 07:11 PM   #2497
Embossing Fanatic

My family and I were walking to our vehicle today after stopping at Olive Garden. There were about 6 black people standing a couple of vehicles down from ours talking loudly. I had to choke back snide comments over what one woman was saying. But boy did I let loose when we had the doors closed. She said something about how god is wonderful and good and how the "good book" says you need to call your enemy up and tell them how you're gonna destroy them. She called this enemy of theirs a no good son of a b and said they need to organize people to destroy him anyway they could. There were lots of amens and such. I felt like the westboro church had taken up residence in the parking lot. Geeze. No wonder people are running away from the christian religion!

Christi
Old 06-08-2013, 07:38 PM   #2498
Die Cut Diva

Something to think about - does it matter that they were black?

" how the "good book" says you need to call your enemy up and tell them how you're gonna destroy them"

What happened to turning the other cheek, sheesh?!
winniethepoodle likes this post.
Old 06-08-2013, 08:06 PM   #2499
Embossing Fanatic

Doesn't matter to me that they were black, but I've noticed that they seem to be more passionate about their religion. And they do tend to be less discreet. This is just what I've observed in my area. I'm sure not all black people are the same, just as not all white, asian, etc. people are the same.

Christi
Old 07-03-2013, 07:26 PM   #2500

I've been organizing my stamps. I separated sets. Le Gasp. I also pulled out greetings I won't use, ones with the word "Bless" or "God" etc. Some Christmas ones that were too specifically religious.

Now I have to find somebody religious that might want them! lol

Old 07-03-2013, 07:37 PM   #2501
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by crrimal View Post
My family and I were walking to our vehicle today after stopping at Olive Garden. There were about 6 black people standing a couple of vehicles down from ours talking loudly. I had to choke back snide comments over what one woman was saying. But boy did I let loose when we had the doors closed. She said something about how god is wonderful and good and how the "good book" says you need to call your enemy up and tell them how you're gonna destroy them. She called this enemy of theirs a no good son of a b and said they need to organize people to destroy him anyway they could. There were lots of amens and such. I felt like the westboro church had taken up residence in the parking lot. Geeze. No wonder people are running away from the christian religion!

Christi
Doesn't sound like any interpretation of gospel I've heard! LOL It's interesting how some people can take some verse or two and decide that is the key to understanding the universe.
Old 07-03-2013, 07:45 PM   #2502
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stampin Wrose View Post
I've been organizing my stamps. I separated sets. Le Gasp. I also pulled out greetings I won't use, ones with the word "Bless" or "God" etc. Some Christmas ones that were too specifically religious.

Now I have to find somebody religious that might want them! lol
Just got back from the fireworks!

Oh my gosh! I haven't been able to separate my sets. I did sell a couple sets that were primarily religious. They came with a big lot of sets I bought on Ebay. You shouldn't have too much trouble finding someone around SCS that would be interested.
Old 07-03-2013, 10:19 PM   #2503

I had my sets in alphabetical order by size of the case. I pretty much knew what I wanted and it was easy to find. But - there were some that weren't being used, and small sets taking up a shelf spot and I realized how much more room I'd have if I combined some older sets of similar type stamps. So first I started just sorting by stamps, like flower sets all on one section of shelves, animals on another, beaches and boats on another, etc. etc. As each section got together, I started working on the sets in the section. I kept some sets together (minus the words) because they make a nice set but I pulled a lot of the stamps from early sets and just put them together. I wrote the name of the set on the side of the wood on a lot of the stamps, just so I'd know. But then I started pulling words.

Oh My Goodness. How many ways to say Happy Birthday? You know how you buy a set and don't pay attention to that little word stamp half the time? That's not usually why I buy the set. Well - I have a stack of Happy Birthday greetings.

It's funny but after I get things sorted some, I go back a couple days later and pull a section down and sort it further. Like now all the birthday sets are separated into words only, birthday pics only (cakes, candles, balloons, hats), etc. I put the ones I like the best and use the most into one case to make my life easier. I ordered a bunch of the new cases for stamps, no I'm not going to redo them all, but some were perfect for them, and freed up larger cases. I have a shopping bag full of the medium-small cases!

I put all my prima flowers into the smaller cases, too. Got them out of those bottles, so now I don't have to dump them all to get the flower I want!

I never ever thought I'd separate my sets. But now, I'm so happy, I know what I have, I have things easier to find, they take up less space so other things are now easier to get to, also. It's been wonderful.

New sets I'm leaving alone for the moment. Not that I'm an active demo, but I don't want to forget what I just got!

Old 07-04-2013, 04:04 AM   #2504
Mad Swapper

Now can you please come to my house and organize my stamps? I can never find what I want. I usually give the religious stuff to my mom.

Blog Paper Rocks!
Old 07-04-2013, 05:35 AM   #2505
Die Cut Diva

I separated my stamps into categories a couple of years ago, and I'm so happy that I did! You're right, it's an eye-opener when you see just how many you have that are similar. My happy birthday sentiments and thank you sentiments are out of control! Same with flowers, trees, stars, and backgrounds.

I saw a post awhile back from someone looking for religious sympathy sentiments. I PMed her and offered her all of mine. I ended up sending her pretty much every religious sentiment stamp I had. She was thrilled, and I was happy that they went to someone who would use them.

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing it is stupid. - Albert Einstein
Old 07-04-2013, 07:40 AM   #2506
Crimping Master

I have thought about that with mine but just have not taken the plunge. I have taken out quite a few of the "to: From:" little stamps from sets and put them into a small clamshell; I bring these to our Christmas get together every year and everyone uses them. Plus when I need to do a quick little gift tag, they are all together. I think that this post might have been just the inspiration I need to take on this project. Maybe start with some of my older sets and go from there.
Old 07-05-2013, 12:13 AM   #2507

I thought you all might like this article:

Biblical Christianity 101: Government - Atlanta atheism | Examiner.com

Quote:
The argument over whether or not America is a "Christian Nation" is one of the most important discussions for the future of the country. Many Christians argue that the Constitution and other founding documents support the belief that America was founded on Christian (read: Biblical) principles. However, after reading my own copy of their holy book, I can only assume that the people making this argument have not read it themselves.

To begin with, let's look at the Ten Commandments. Many Christians believe these represent the moral foundation of good Biblical living. However, when we compare them to American principles of government, we find some shocking disagreement:
more at the link.

nickelini likes this post.
Old 07-05-2013, 08:55 AM   #2508
Pearl-ExPert

Smile Fun Comic

It's titled, How To Suck at Your Religion. Does your religion make you judge other people? Does your religion hinder the advance of science, technology and medicine? Another thread referred folks to this site for info on grammar; it's great for that, too.

How to suck at your religion - The Oatmeal
Old 07-05-2013, 09:31 AM   #2509
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
I thought you all might like this article:

Biblical Christianity 101: Government - Atlanta atheism | Examiner.com

more at the link.
Ha! Ha! This is my favorite! "Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy. Nice thought. So, I expect well be seeing good Christian legislation making it illegal for Walmart to open on Sundays, right? No!"
Old 07-05-2013, 01:09 PM   #2510
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
It's titled, How To Suck at Your Religion. Does your religion make you judge other people? Does your religion hinder the advance of science, technology and medicine? Another thread referred folks to this site for info on grammar; it's great for that, too.

LOL I went to read this and laughed and laughed at "there is no drawing here". I also laughed and laughed when he (she?) poked fun at conservatives and liberals - they've got me pegged!
Old 07-05-2013, 01:12 PM   #2511

Quote:

Excellent! Laughed at the Nickelback comment.

Old 07-06-2013, 01:04 PM   #2512

Thought I'd pass along an interesting article.

https://www.barna.org/barna-update/f...s#.Udhk_dKcfg6

Old 07-06-2013, 01:05 PM   #2513

A bit of detail.

In this nationwide study of self-identified Christians, the goal was to determine whether Christians have the actions and attitude of Jesus as they interact with others or if they are more akin to the beliefs and behaviors of Pharisees, the self-righteous sect of religious leaders described in the New Testament.

Old 07-08-2013, 11:27 AM   #2514
Pearl-ExPert

Default Virtual Free Thought Con

I don't know if any of you read the FreethoughtBlogs. It's the location of 20 or so bloggers including PZ Meyers, Richard Carrier and others. They are having an online Convention from July 19-21. Supposed to be round the clock speakers, discussion and the ability to ask questions. I definitely plan to catch some of it.

http://ftbcon.org/
Old 07-09-2013, 04:02 AM   #2515
Crimping Master

Quote:
Thought I'd pass along an interesting article.

https://www.barna.org/barna-update/f...s#.Udhk_dKcfg6
Thanks for sharing that one!! That is pretty much how I see it. I have never understood how the religious folks that I am in contact with on a daily basis do not see the things that this article pointed out.
Old 07-09-2013, 06:38 AM   #2516
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
A bit of detail.

In this nationwide study of self-identified Christians, the goal was to determine whether Christians have the actions and attitude of Jesus as they interact with others or if they are more akin to the beliefs and behaviors of Pharisees, the self-righteous sect of religious leaders described in the New Testament.
This is my favorite question.

It is more important to help people know [who] God is for them than to make sure they know they are sinners.
Old 07-09-2013, 11:14 AM   #2517

Quote:
This is my favorite question.

It is more important to help people know [who] God is for them than to make sure they know they are sinners.
I know not all Christians are evangelical but even they are often better at seeing the sins of others over their own. And then legalizing against some behaviors out of Leviticus but not all. That is cherry picking.

Old 07-09-2013, 01:20 PM   #2518
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
I know not all Christians are evangelical but even they are often better at seeing the sins of others over their own. And then legalizing against some behaviors out of Leviticus but not all. That is cherry picking.
They never get the cognitive dissonance on that, do they? Or can't acknowledge it.
Old 07-09-2013, 02:16 PM   #2519

And they apparently don't know the history of slavery and how that was once condoned by their religion, too.

Old 07-13-2013, 10:32 AM   #2520
Pearl-ExPert

Default So I went to the book club meeting...

about the book "The Last Sin Eater". It was interesting that 12 people had signed up to come but only 5 or6 showed. I wonder if the others found out what the story was and decided to skip it.

So I had calmed down from my initial fury that someone would pick a religious book for a general interest group. I decided to go and see what it was like - actual discussion or a lot of proselytizing. It was very low key. The discussion was more about the characters and their motivation.

The person who picked the book apologized that it was preachier than she remembered. I did say I wasn't religious and questioned that the girl was supposed to have sinned when it was all a tragic accident.

Just found this post about speaking out.

I have realized the value in being visible. I think we do atheism and godless Americans a disservice whenever we miss an opportunity to show the religious that atheists (a) exist, and (b) are decent human beings, good friends and neighbors, without gods. Slamming a door with no discussion allows the religious person to think whatever they want to about you and your beliefs: for instance, that you belong to a different (and totally wrong!) sect of Christianity. Of course I am not advocating outing yourself as a godless heathen at every possible occasion. Unfortunately, there are plenty of very real risks to life and limb as well as careers and relationships for simply stating I dont believe in gods. But there are nevertheless opportunities to speak up safely such as when a person knocks on your door with the express purpose of offering those who may not be as familiar with the bible as theyd like to be some resources and information.

I'm glad I went and hope to hang on to the above sentiment for the future.