Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree183Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2013, 09:40 PM   #2281
This reminds me of a Star Trek episode....

I have made two comments that one of my overly religious cousins might not appreciate. So we shall see if she unfriends me or not. lol

"Fun must be always." - Tomas Hertl, San Jose Sharks
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 03-28-2013, 10:50 PM   #2282
Hardware Hotshot

Let's hope she does!
Stephanie
Old 03-28-2013, 11:53 PM   #2283
Glitter Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkes View Post
Hi everyone. I just came across a link to a German company, Athiest Shoes, who realised that parcels with their company name on the packaging tape seemed to be delayed or go missing when sent to the US, but not when they were sent to European countries. So they did a survey - see the results... ATHEIST / USPS Discrimination Against Atheism?
Stephanie
I saw that - there really isn't much doubt that something unethical happened, is there... I hope the investigation results in consequences for the employees involved.
Old 03-29-2013, 05:21 AM   #2284
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlysonRR View Post
I saw that - there really isn't much doubt that something unethical happened, is there... I hope the investigation results in consequences for the employees involved.
Absolutely!! The mail should NEVER be delayed, especially for a reason like this!!
Old 03-29-2013, 08:02 AM   #2285
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stampin Wrose View Post
I have made two comments that one of my overly religious cousins might not appreciate. So we shall see if she unfriends me or not. lol
Wait, what? Did I miss a conversation about FB? I myself unfriended someone who was constantly posting religious stuff. She is my SU demo so I didn't want to make any comments that might jeopardize that important relationship
Old 03-29-2013, 08:16 AM   #2286
Crimping Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily55 View Post
She is my SU demo so I didn't want to make any comments that might jeopardize that important relationship
That's so funny because mine is a little bit of a Bible thumper herself She has a name for her stampers and it is a play on words but it's religious and drives me nuts! I figured there are probably more religious crafters out there than not so I just suck it up. Drives me batty though!!
Old 03-29-2013, 08:22 AM   #2287
Die Cut Diva

This is something on my mind lately. Most stampers are religious. I'm a pro-choice, feminist, vegetarian, liberal as can be atheist who also happens to be a SU demo.

I have a personal FB page of course but also just set up a SU facebook page. I don't want customers or potential customers to boycott shopping from me based on what I may put on my personal page (nor do I necessarily want to see my feed fill up with things I don't agree with), but I don't know how to easily say "Hey, I'll only be friends with you on my SU fan page." I don't like the idea of friending people just to hide them from posts and put them in a group just to be polite. :\
Old 03-29-2013, 09:18 AM   #2288
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraftyMel2 View Post
That's so funny because mine is a little bit of a Bible thumper herself She has a name for her stampers and it is a play on words but it's religious and drives me nuts! I figured there are probably more religious crafters out there than not so I just suck it up. Drives me batty though!!
One time at Stamp Camp a woman started to mention to another stamper how it was so wonderful that god designed things like the human eye so perfectly. I was wracking my brain because I remembered reading about how the eye was not very well designed at all. I couldn't remember what the details were so I had to stay silent. Drat! A chance to "witness" for atheism and it was wasted!
Old 03-29-2013, 09:25 AM   #2289
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makalah View Post
This is something on my mind lately. Most stampers are religious. I'm a pro-choice, feminist, vegetarian, liberal as can be atheist who also happens to be a SU demo.
Yep! That's me except for vegetarian . I have posted more political stuff but have tried to cut back on that. I only have close friends and family reading my FB stuff and they are only too aware of my liberal
views
Old 03-29-2013, 12:45 PM   #2290
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:
One time at Stamp Camp a woman started to mention to another stamper how it was so wonderful that god designed things like the human eye so perfectly. I was wracking my brain because I remembered reading about how the eye was not very well designed at all. I couldn't remember what the details were so I had to stay silent. Drat! A chance to "witness" for atheism and it was wasted!
Oh well, hopefully there will be another time. If you want to check out the eye argument there is an excellent description for how badly 'designed' our eyes are is in Richard Dawkins "The Greatest Show On Earth".

He points out that the retina is back to front! The eye's photocells actually point backwards and the 'wires' of the photocells, that carry the data to the brain run all over the surface of the retina so the light rays have to pass through a carpet of 'wires' before they hit the photocells. Then there is the blind spot where the wires converge and go to the brain. The reason we see so well in spite of these major flaws is that our brain is able to fill in the missing data and clean up the images like an automatic Photoshop.

The German scientist Helmholtz said of eyes. "If an optician wanted to sell me an instrument which had all these defects, I should think myself quite justified in blaming his carelessness in the strongest terms and giving him back his instrument."
Old 03-29-2013, 12:50 PM   #2291
Hardware Hotshot

Happy Ishtar everyone!

http://sphotos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphoto...71208390_n.jpg
Old 03-29-2013, 03:04 PM   #2292
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkes View Post
Hey! I never knew what Ishtar was or meant. I only know that one of my favourite songs is by Ishtar Alabina (I just assumed that was her name, or the name of her album)
Ishtar Alabina - "Apprivoise-moi" - YouTube
Her songs are a mix of French and Arabic.

As for the eyes, I know MY eyes certainly aren't perfect. I wear my glasses all the time, except for in the shower and while I'm sleeping.
Old 03-29-2013, 07:46 PM   #2293
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Yep! That's me except for vegetarian . I have posted more political stuff but have tried to cut back on that. I only have close friends and family reading my FB stuff and they are only too aware of my liberal
views
hooray us! whereabouts in WI are you? I'm in Madison!
Old 03-29-2013, 08:06 PM   #2294

Whenever I hear "Ishtar" I think of that 1987 movie that Warren Beatty and Dustin Hoffman made and how bad it bombed. lol

Old 03-30-2013, 05:12 AM   #2295
Stazon Splitcoast

Well ladies...I officially came out. I had 2 other couples for dinner last weekend and the discussion turned to religion and the afterlife and everyone announced they would immediately see their (fill in the blank). Someone asked me a question about heaven and I said. "Well..I'm an Atheist and won't be seeing anyone". I'm glad it's out in the open and if they think less of me then they truly aren't my friends.

In fairness, one couple lost their daughter in a tragic auto accident and this is what gets them through it. I don't know (and never want to) how I would react in that situation.
Old 03-30-2013, 09:26 AM   #2296
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadgeRPh View Post
Well ladies...I officially came out. I had 2 other couples for dinner last weekend and the discussion turned to religion and the afterlife and everyone announced they would immediately see their (fill in the blank). Someone asked me a question about heaven and I said. "Well..I'm an Atheist and won't be seeing anyone". I'm glad it's out in the open and if they think less of me then they truly aren't my friends.

In fairness, one couple lost their daughter in a tragic auto accident and this is what gets them through it. I don't know (and never want to) how I would react in that situation.
Congratulations to you!! Hopefully they won't think less of you!

I think everyone reacts differently to tragedy.

I think some believers turn to God for support in tragedy, and others blame Him and turn away.

---------

In another subject, I uh, < whispering > I joined Facebook again. I did it to keep in touch with ONE person. But I'm not making the mistake of "friending" anyone else this time. I've added only stamping companies to my Facebook account, so I get all the stamping news in one go, instead of reading of what my friends and family are randomly doing (which I don't care about). Of course, SCS is one of the places that I "liked".
Old 03-30-2013, 09:51 AM   #2297
Glitter Guru

Quote:
Good for you! Hopefully they will be just as friendly now that they know the real you
Quote:
I allowed an Episcopal priest to pray over my 2-day old DD when we were in Boston Children's Hospital waiting for her open heart surgery... I felt hypocritical and ever since then have made sure to check the "do not want pastoral visits" box.

We lost my dad last year and my mom just started back to church last week. She says it makes her feel good even though she doesn't believe. I can understand that - group singing, a nice story, visiting with people. Plus she goes to the bunco group (bunco and wine in the church basement - gotta love Episcopalians ) and really enjoyed the company.

So I'm not sure if this is a response to my dad's death or just a social opportunity, but regardless, if she feels better to be involved in church (and bunco, LOL) that's fine with me!
Old 03-30-2013, 12:49 PM   #2298
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Yay for you coming out like that! Hopefully your friends will realise that a person doesn't have to believe in god to be a decent human being.

Believing in god may help some people in tragic cirumstances but I saw a woman interviewed on TV about having a autistic daughter. She was totally distraught at the thought of god giving her a less than perfect daughter when she had done nothing to deserve it. Her belief in god certainly wasn't helping her.
Stephanie
Old 03-30-2013, 03:02 PM   #2299
Crimping Master

Personal tragedy does cause some people to re-think things and wonder about life and how it all works...I know, I was there a few short months ago. So many emotions come out when you are grieving so I completely understand going back to church (and Bunco!) for comfort even if you are a non believer. I don't mind if people say they are praying for me because it obviously means something to them and they care about me enougn to do it so...yeah...

I think it's wonderful that you came out to your friends! You never know, youi may find out some of your friends are closet atheists, too!!!
Old 03-30-2013, 09:28 PM   #2300

Yesterday (I think!), I was poking around my cousin's page, and she had posted on someone else's question (he was some kind of preacher). Found out she was "saved" 31 years ago, 700 club.

That's Pat Robertson's bunch. So I will leave her alone, she's beyond thinking, and I just stopped her feed. I had no idea.

The family is/was Catholic, and one of her sisters is over-the-top Catholic (which is why I hid her feed), so I wasn't sure where this one stood. I'm surprised but it does explain things!

Old 03-30-2013, 09:32 PM   #2301

Quote:

I think that homosexuals have demonstrated quite clearly that if a group that is being discriminated against wants that to stop, they need to quit hiding and demonstrate that a significant number of people are "different." It has been enlightening for many people to realize that gays are not just guys who are into ballet, or girls who want to work on cars, or whatever the heck stereotypes people thought. They are our friends, relatives, and they deserve to not be miserable.

And so it will have to go with atheists. As we slowly admit our non-belief, people will see that atheists are not baby killers or people haters. There are a lot of non-religious people in this country who are probably a lot closer to being atheists than they realize!!!

Old 03-30-2013, 09:45 PM   #2302
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:
I think that homosexuals have demonstrated quite clearly that if a group that is being discriminated against wants that to stop, they need to quit hiding and demonstrate that a significant number of people are "different." It has been enlightening for many people to realize that gays are not just guys who are into ballet, or girls who want to work on cars, or whatever the heck stereotypes people thought. They are our friends, relatives, and they deserve to not be miserable.

And so it will have to go with atheists. As we slowly admit our non-belief, people will see that atheists are not baby killers or people haters. There are a lot of non-religious people in this country who are probably a lot closer to being atheists than they realize!!!
I agree. Coming out normalises any group and gives the discriminators less ammunition.
Stephanie
Old 03-31-2013, 08:02 AM   #2303
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makalah View Post

I have a personal FB page of course but also just set up a SU facebook page. I don't want customers or potential customers to boycott shopping from me based on what I may put on my personal page (nor do I necessarily want to see my feed fill up with things I don't agree with), but I don't know how to easily say "Hey, I'll only be friends with you on my SU fan page." I don't like the idea of friending people just to hide them from posts and put them in a group just to be polite. :\
If someone friends the wrong account, I would probably just message them to tell them that your SU fb page is your real one, i.e. the one you post to. You use the other one to keep in touch with family. Of course, if you have 700 friends on your personal fb page, that probably won't work.
Old 03-31-2013, 11:26 AM   #2304
Glitter Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraftyMel2 View Post
So many emotions come out when you are grieving so I completely understand going back to church (and Bunco!) for comfort even if you are a non believer.
Yeah, there are plenty of non-believers in the Episcopal church anyway, so she's not really out of place. She doesn't have to go to church to go to the bunco group - it's just a bunch of the same people so it's like seeing her friends more often, LOL.
Old 03-31-2013, 07:05 PM   #2305
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:

I agree with you whole heartedly Stampin Wrose! I've often thought this and have had a few discussions with the hub and daughter about it. I wonder how much crap we all would have to put up with by finally "coming out".

I'm pagen. Today when we went to lunch, I was talking to the hub and kids about how the christians took the Ishtar celebration and turned it into something all about them and how wrong it was. Zombie Jesus comments were made and boy, did we get looks! I've gotten into the habit, though, of looking into the eyes of the haters and smiling b/c I know that most of them are sheep and will believe anything so it's not even worth my time to bother arguing.

Christi
Old 04-01-2013, 08:35 AM   #2306
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlysonRR View Post
Good for you! Hopefully they will be just as friendly now that they know the real you
I allowed an Episcopal priest to pray over my 2-day old DD when we were in Boston Children's Hospital waiting for her open heart surgery... I felt hypocritical and ever since then have made sure to check the "do not want pastoral visits" box.

We lost my dad last year and my mom just started back to church last week. She says it makes her feel good even though she doesn't believe. I can understand that - group singing, a nice story, visiting with people. Plus she goes to the bunco group (bunco and wine in the church basement - gotta love Episcopalians ) and really enjoyed the company.

So I'm not sure if this is a response to my dad's death or just a social opportunity, but regardless, if she feels better to be involved in church (and bunco, LOL) that's fine with me!
I'm glad your mom found something to comfort her. Churches do provide a sense of community and support. Some folks do find this as important, and maybe even more so, than the need to pray or participate in a Mass.
Old 04-01-2013, 11:24 AM   #2307

I had a knock on the door this morning; I had heard chatting voices coming up the walk. I used the intercom rather than the peep hole, and they responded that they were "neighbors who wanted to talk about the bible with me."

I just smiled to myself and said "no thank you." lol

I used to just ignore people at the door, but I hear burglars use that technique to see if anyone is home.

Old 04-01-2013, 12:53 PM   #2308
Embossing Fanatic

Once a month, a small group of bible thumpers will troll our street. It's always the same people. We live in the middle of the city, but our property has a wrought iron fence with gates that are always locked around it. I've watched them try to open the sidewalk gate, even though there is a very visible padlock on it. One day, the kids and I were going somewhere, so I walked down to open the driveway gate. I saw them out there, but really didn't care since we needed to leave. They flocked to me and started to spew their nonsense to me. I stopped them and politely told them that I was pagen and if they respected my beliefs, I would respect theirs. You should've seen their mouths drop. They haven't bothered us since. Guess pagen = pure evil! LOL!
Old 04-01-2013, 04:27 PM   #2309

Man, if they were coming every month, I'd say more too!

Old 04-01-2013, 04:33 PM   #2310
Stazon Splitcoast

The Saturday before Easter I was out front with my dog. There were people walking around ringing doorbells to discuss their religion. Since I was outside, they tried to talk to me there. I told them I was atheist. He looked so sad. Then he tried to give me a pamphlet and asked me to please read it. I told him it would go straight in to the recycle bin, so it might be better if he kept it instead of wasting the cost. Then he looked even sadder. I actually felt kinda bad. Should I just have taken it?
Old 04-01-2013, 04:40 PM   #2311
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinois Marge View Post
The Saturday before Easter I was out front with my dog. There were people walking around ringing doorbells to discuss their religion. Since I was outside, they tried to talk to me there. I told them I was atheist. He looked so sad. Then he tried to give me a pamphlet and asked me to please read it. I told him it would go straight in to the recycle bin, so it might be better if he kept it instead of wasting the cost. Then he looked even sadder. I actually felt kinda bad. Should I just have taken it?
I think if you tell them you are an atheist, they are all the more concerned and want to make you see the light. I just smile, hand it back, and say, I already have my beliefs. Please give this to someone who will read it.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Old 04-01-2013, 04:54 PM   #2312
Embossing Fanatic

From what I've observed, I think if you tell people you are atheist, they think you can be changed. When I tell them I'm pagen, they seem to run the other way. I wonder if they think I'm a witch who will cast an evil spell or curse on them if they cross me.

I'm in the US and I wonder - do people in other countries have to deal with the same thing, or can they just be who they are?

Christi
Old 04-01-2013, 05:18 PM   #2313
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by crrimal View Post
From what I've observed, I think if you tell people you are atheist, they think you can be changed. When I tell them I'm pagen, they seem to run the other way. I wonder if they think I'm a witch who will cast an evil spell or curse on them if they cross me.

I'm in the US and I wonder - do people in other countries have to deal with the same thing, or can they just be who they are?

Christi
Sometimes if I'm feeling feisty, I will just say, "I'm a Heathen." That usually gets a confused look.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Old 04-01-2013, 07:43 PM   #2314
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinois Marge View Post
I would have taken it and put it in the bin to waste their money. I have no conscience about things like that!
Stephanie
Old 04-01-2013, 07:52 PM   #2315
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by crrimal View Post

Christi
We don't have to worry at all about being atheist in New Zealand, but then we are one of the most secular societies in the world. In 2006 34% of the population described themselves as having no religion and in the latest census (carried out last month) that figure is expected to rise. We have very few pushy Christians - we may get one or two a year coming to our door. I tell them in no uncertain terms that they are wasting their time and mine.
Stephanie
Old 04-01-2013, 07:53 PM   #2316
Die Cut Diva

This is why we atheists need to band together and create our own flyers to hand right back at the people who give us religious pamphlets! "Atheism: Why you should believe in it" or "No God, no Allah, no problem!" or maybe just handing out copies of our favorite scientific literature.
Old 04-01-2013, 08:22 PM   #2317

Steph, you should tell us about your favorite (not!) American export!!!!

Old 04-01-2013, 09:29 PM   #2318
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:
Steph, you should tell us about your favorite (not!) American export!!!!
A guy came to our door the other day. He noticed our cat on the porch and said what nice cat we had. I heard his American accent so I immediately thought “religious person”. And he was! He had a leaflet about Jesus (this was a few days before Easter) and he said ‘Here is someone who’s anniversary you may be interested in’. I said ‘Easter isn’t his anniversary, it is a pagan celebration that Christians took over and it has nothing to do with Christianity.” He still offered me the leaflet but I refused. I should have taken it and ripped it up. I have no time for people who come onto our property uninvited, and waste my time. I would be more polite with a salesperson because at least they are offering me something that is real, but this is drivel.
Conclusion: An American coming to your door is New Zealand is more likely to be religious than a New Zealander.
Stephanie
Old 04-01-2013, 09:32 PM   #2319

I can just see it, "It's an American, run away!!!!" Ha ha ha!!!

Old 04-01-2013, 10:37 PM   #2320
Embossing Fanatic

Another reason to move to New Zealand, besides the beautiful landscape!

Christi