Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree180Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2012, 05:01 PM   #1921
This reminds me of a Star Trek episode....

It's also a myth that "there are no atheists in fox holes."

As though the fear of death is the only reason to believe. Seriously, doesn't that make you want to believe? I actually read where someone said they would have no morals if they didn't believe in god!!! *shakes head*

"Fun must be always." - Tomas Hertl, San Jose Sharks
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 11-08-2012, 05:10 PM   #1922
Compulsive Stamper

I was in my 60's when I turned my back on religion.
Old 11-08-2012, 05:21 PM   #1923

Suber, I'll never forget what my DD said when I told her, a few years ago, that I believed I was an atheist. She said, "Well that's a weird thing to hear from your 55 year old mother!" Found out that she and DS were already atheists.

Old 11-09-2012, 05:41 PM   #1924
Crimping Master

Funny thing happened today...cracked me up We had a party at work and we were all getting ready to eat lunch and one of the bosses looked up at me and said "We need to say a blessing" and I looked at her (the whole office is deeply religious) and said "OH, I did not think of that...do you want to do a prayer? Do one, I did not even think about it" and she put her hand on my arm and said "I think it would be great if you did it". Well, DH will be the first to tell you that I have NO poker face...I must have turned bright red or pale as a ghost because the whole table just busted up laughing! She laughed and said "I'm KIDDING!!!" I said "Whew! Don't want the atheist to lead the blessing, never know what will come out of my mouth!" haha! It was great! I have to admit, I had a Sally Field moment in my head..."You like me! You really like me!" hahahaah!!! I swear I will see them all through different eyes from here on out
Old 11-15-2012, 09:25 PM   #1925
Die Cut Diva

Here's an interesting article on how the group of Christians who are also minorities as well as those who are religiously unaffiliated helped Obama win:

Survey: Religiously unaffiliated, minority Christians propelled Obama
Old 11-17-2012, 09:24 AM   #1926
Watercolor Wizard

I love living in Oklahoma, it's my home and has been for years. But this is what you have to deal with if you live here:

"First up from the God Machine this week is a religio-political story out of Oklahoma that's more amusing than most.

A Ten Commandments monument is up on the grounds of the state Capitol, but it didn't pass spell check.

"Remember the Sabbeth day, to keep it holy," reads one.

"Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's wife, nor his manservant, nor his maidseruent," reads the last one.

Obviously, the Ten Commandments monument is itself problematic as a matter of constitutional law and the separation of church and state. Though the religious display was financed with private funds, its placement on the grounds of the state Capitol suggests officials are endorsing one faith's religious text over all others -- and legally, government is supposed to be neutral on matters of religion, not playing favorites.

What's more, note that Oklahoma's state-endorsed religious display uses the Protestant version of the Ten Commandments, not the Catholic or Jewish versions, and no other tradition's tenets will receive equal treatment.

But even putting the legality aside, it didn't occur to folks to check the spelling of the Ten Commandments? It's one thing to fail to read the Constitution or court rulings on church-state separation, but it's another to fail to read the sacred text you're trying to promote.

Those responsible for the granite monument have promised to fix the errors."

This Week in God - The Maddow Blog

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Old 11-17-2012, 01:13 PM   #1927

Ummmmm..... yeah.

Gee, Bugga, thanks for sharing that! My chuckle for the day.

Old 11-18-2012, 12:03 AM   #1928
Glitter Guru

I had to laugh about the misspellings.

And yeah, I'm glad to be living in WA, one of the most unbelieving states in the country, rather than OK like you .
Old 11-18-2012, 07:36 AM   #1929
Stazon Splitcoast

I honestly think that I could never move to the Bible Belt -- I would not be able to hold my tongue and I'd probably be tarred and feathered out of town.
Old 11-18-2012, 12:03 PM   #1930
Glitter Guru

If any of you have kids and/or teens who are interested in humanism, the American Humanist Association has developed a new website: Kids Without God

I like the section for younger kids going through how we should behave, including "be nice", "take care of the earth", "think for myself", etc.
Old 11-18-2012, 12:56 PM   #1931

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinois Marge View Post
I honestly think that I could never move to the Bible Belt -- I would not be able to hold my tongue and I'd probably be tarred and feathered out of town.
I lived in Atlanta for about seven years and was not at all religious but I lived in the city. Metro area. I think once you get outside the city, you run into that more.

But yeah I'm not much of one to hold my tongue. I would, however, be careful about putting signs out or bumper stickers.

Old 11-19-2012, 03:11 PM   #1932
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
That certainly has slowed us down. We've reached the age where we've thought more than once about moving south, but finding a place where we feel like we might fit in has proven problematic.
Old 11-19-2012, 05:13 PM   #1933
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
They ain't that bad are they?? I feel like I live in my own personal Bible belt. All my co-workers, friends, and family are religious. Those family who AREN'T religious are still Republicans. I sure do never hold my tongue. Instead, I get into lively debates whenever someone "new" to me tries to convert me. Whenever I visit my sister, I also feel like I'm in the Bible belt. But I don't hold my tongue there either.
Old 11-19-2012, 05:23 PM   #1934
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLaFontaine View Post
They ain't that bad are they?? I feel like I live in my own personal Bible belt. All my co-workers, friends, and family are religious. Those family who AREN'T religious are still Republicans. I sure do never hold my tongue. Instead, I get into lively debates whenever someone "new" to me tries to convert me. Whenever I visit my sister, I also feel like I'm in the Bible belt. But I don't hold my tongue there either.
Oh Sophie, you made me literally laugh out loud with that remark. You are too funny!

Old 11-21-2012, 09:34 AM   #1935
Pearl-ExPert

Have you folks been following the uproar about the nativity scene displays in Santa Monica?

From what I've read, several Christian churches in the area have put up large nativity scenes for many years in a public park in Santa Monica. One year, an atheist also requests a spot, gets it, and puts up a sign regarding atheism. The next year, he organizes other atheists and, together, they get the majority of the spots. Then, the atheist signs are vandalized. Headaches for the city ensue. So, the city says, "Never mind. No spots will be made available to anyone this year." A group of the Christians (the atheists were not a part of the suit) sue the city because the city isn't willing to deal with the extra expense and headache that this has turned into. The judge agrees that the city has a right to not allow any groups to put their displays up.

The nativity scenes being allowed doesn't bother me; the city had a lottery system set-up to deal with requests for the spaces. On the other hand, I can see why the vandalism, the increase in request for the spaces, and the complaints caused the city to rethink making those spots available. Some people seem to believe that this is a "war on Christians," but everyone is being treated the same here. The atheists aren't allowed to put up their displays either.

Here's a few links (depending on your source preferences):
Nativity Scenes in Santa Monica Parks May be Thing of the Past | Fox News Latino
Santa Monica Nativity Scenes At Palisades Park Will Be No More, Rules Federal Judge
Judge denies bid for nativity scene in California town | Reuters
Old 11-21-2012, 10:57 AM   #1936
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by trefoil View Post
Have you folks been following the uproar about the nativity scene displays in Santa Monica?

From what I've read, several Christian churches in the area have put up large nativity scenes for many years in a public park in Santa Monica. One year, an atheist also requests a spot, gets it, and puts up a sign regarding atheism. The next year, he organizes other atheists and, together, they get the majority of the spots. Then, the atheist signs are vandalized. Headaches for the city ensue. So, the city says, "Never mind. No spots will be made available to anyone this year." A group of the Christians (the atheists were not a part of the suit) sue the city because the city isn't willing to deal with the extra expense and headache that this has turned into. The judge agrees that the city has a right to not allow any groups to put their displays up.

The nativity scenes being allowed doesn't bother me; the city had a lottery system set-up to deal with requests for the spaces. On the other hand, I can see why the vandalism, the increase in request for the spaces, and the complaints caused the city to rethink making those spots available. Some people seem to believe that this is a "war on Christians," but everyone is being treated the same here. The atheists aren't allowed to put up their displays either.

Here's a few links (depending on your source preferences):
Nativity Scenes in Santa Monica Parks May be Thing of the Past | Fox News Latino
Santa Monica Nativity Scenes At Palisades Park Will Be No More, Rules Federal Judge
Judge denies bid for nativity scene in California town | Reuters
Seems like more of a war on atheists, since it was the atheist signs that were vandalized.

Although, I must admit to using the kinda same tactic to rid the locker room at work of religious stuff. I used to walk through the locker room and see all these verses and Christian stuff up on the lockers. So I put up my own Bible verse and my ugly, controversial interpretation of it, and next you know, the new rule is, nothing is allowed on the lockers anymore.
Old 11-21-2012, 11:07 AM   #1937
Glitter Guru

Christine - I had seen the situation in Santa Monica. I'm amused by the persecution posturing... From what I understand the Christians have located a private property on which to erect their nativity. It's not the job of a city government to provide free advertising space for groups, whether religious or not. Churches should put nativity sets on church property. No persecution, no bullying - just separation!
Old 11-21-2012, 05:32 PM   #1938

Yeah seems like some people got a little bent out of shape too quickly, I'd been reading about it too.

More atheists are more open about it these days and I think religious folk don't care for that. Shrug. Their discomfort with atheists/atheism is not my problem.

Old 11-22-2012, 12:41 PM   #1939
Crimping Master

A friend of mine had this on her FB page. I don't see anything wrong with having a nativity scene up really. I mean, to me, it is the same as Santa, Cupid, St Patrick...they are all symbols of their own celebrated day, makes no difference to me. What bothers me more is that groups like the ones who are crying the blues are the ones that give the rest of us a bad name. People find out I am an Atheist and they automatically think I am going to call a lawyer if I see someone wearing a cross or something. A house on our street lights up a cross as tall as their house every year at Christmas...doesn't bother me one bit. As long as no one comes and tries to put one on my house, no worries here
Old 11-22-2012, 01:56 PM   #1940

I have a Jewish friend that celebrates Hanukkah, and also secular Christmas. For her family, Christmas is a tree, ornaments, presents, family dinner.

And that's pretty much what it is here too!

Old 11-24-2012, 03:57 PM   #1941
Glitter Guru

So, Pat Robertson is ready to start up the so-called War on Christmas again.

Here's what he said on the 700 Club: "It's, well, Christmas all over again. The Grinch is trying to steal our holiday. It's been so beautiful, the nation comes together, we sing Christmas carols, we give gifts to each other, we have lighted trees, and it's just a beautiful thing. Atheists don't like our happiness, they don't want you to be happy, they want you to be miserable. They're miserable, so they want you to be miserable. So they want to steal your holiday away from you."

So, is everyone headed out to make Christians unhappy and miserable for the next 31 days?

Seriously, I don't understand where this comes from. Every atheist/humanist I know celebrates some sort of traditional winter family gathering. Some of them even call it Christmas and celebrate with all the trappings - tree, lights, decorations, presents.

If I choose to say Happy Holidays instead of Merry Christmas, it's because I don't assume everyone celebrates Christmas.

If I support efforts of atheist groups and individuals to ensure that taxpayer-owned property is not used to endorse Christianity, it is because I believe deeply in the separation of church and state, not because I want to make Christians miserable and unhappy.

If I choose to boycott certain stores because of their labor practices I am expressing my consumer power with my feet, just as you and some of your followers do by boycotting stores you deem to be not supportive enough of your winter holiday.

Our family eat several winter celebratory meals together because of family traditions that are important to us so we don't have time to participate in the war against xmas, Mr. Robertson. I can't see how my opinions and practices should take anything away from your enjoyment of your holiday.
Old 11-24-2012, 04:04 PM   #1942
Crimping Master

I'm not stealing anything I am one of those who celebrates! I watch The Preachers Wife about 50 times between now and New Years because I love that movie! I love the music, I love the preachin' and I love Denzel...not gonna lie I will also play A Very Special Christmas I and II in my car all month because I am a child of the 80's and I love when Sting sings Gabriel's Message. I send out cards and wrap presents and wish people Merry Christmas or Happy Hanukka or sometimes just "Have A Happy" if I don't know what the celebrate. The only thing I don't do is go to midnight mass Yep, I am the Atheist who does Christmas...sue me, I like holidays!
Old 11-24-2012, 04:48 PM   #1943
Stazon Splitcoast

I love Christmas. I love making Christmas cards and wrapping presents!!!

edited to add: I say "Merry Christmas" just 'cause in my little world I am totally and completely surrounded by Christians. On my cards, if I put "Happy Holidays" on the front ('cause I like the font) I still always put "Merry Christmas" inside.

To the one atheist I know, I'm going to send her a card with a little House Mouse on it, holding a stocking with cheese inside the stocking, and the sentiment on the outside says "The reason for the season is..." and on the inside, it says "...cheesus." ...well, I think it's funny anyway.

Last edited by SophieLaFontaine; 11-24-2012 at 04:55 PM..
Old 11-24-2012, 07:51 PM   #1944

We're supposed to go out and make Christians miserable and unhappy? Darn, I'm going to lose my "Atheist" card!!!!

Old 11-24-2012, 07:55 PM   #1945

Just remember, Pat Robertson is the guy who says Petraeus couldn't help himself, all alone in a foreign land and some woman threw herself at him (rolls eyes); and who heard about Fifty Shades of Grey and doesn't understand why women like porn; so he's just some old guy on a rant (in my opinion).

Old 11-24-2012, 07:56 PM   #1946

Also in that speech about atheists and Christmas, Pat Robertson said,

"People who are atheists, they hate God"

Um no, we don't believe in god, how can you hate something that doesn't exist? lol

Old 11-24-2012, 07:58 PM   #1947
Glitter Guru

LOL.

We could always spend our time buying things from the "Naughty" list to keep our atheist cred up.

Naughty or Nice Christmas List 2012

I just bought pajamas for everyone from Old Navy, even though I usually don't spend $ there (the $5 fleece and flannel pants and cotton undershirts sucked me in...).

So I guess I've already struck a blow in the war against Christmas - I am atheist, watch me be naughty
Old 11-24-2012, 08:00 PM   #1948
Glitter Guru

I've heard people like him say atheists, secularists, and humanists love Satan, too.

Um, no, not feeling anything for mythical beings. I'm not afraid of the boogie man, either.
Old 11-24-2012, 08:05 PM   #1949

I hear more hate coming from Pat Robertson than from most of the atheists I know!

Old 11-25-2012, 07:28 AM   #1950
Pearl-ExPert

Ha! Yeah, the whole "war on Christmas" thing makes me laugh too. I love Christmas! I don't celebrate it as a religious holiday, but I love the secular aspects of the holiday. I'll be putting up my tree and decorations today. I've done a bunch of Christmas shopping this weekend (all online - I'm not a crowd person!).

My least favorite part of the holiday has not yet started, though. I'm not a fan of the expression "you can't take the Christ out of Christmas" and every year, someone whips it out. It creeps me out (due to my name).
Old 11-25-2012, 08:56 AM   #1951
Crimping Master

Christine is the reason for the season! haha!
Old 11-25-2012, 11:27 AM   #1952
Pearl-ExPert

*snort*
Old 11-26-2012, 10:18 AM   #1953
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stampin Wrose View Post
I hear more hate coming from Pat Robertson than from most of the atheists I know!

And he asks for donations to continue his hate. Pat Robertson is a doddering old fool who needs to sit in the corner and drool.
Old 11-26-2012, 10:21 AM   #1954
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by trefoil View Post
Ha! Yeah, the whole "war on Christmas" thing makes me laugh too. I love Christmas! I don't celebrate it as a religious holiday, but I love the secular aspects of the holiday. I'll be putting up my tree and decorations today. I've done a bunch of Christmas shopping this weekend (all online - I'm not a crowd person!).

My least favorite part of the holiday has not yet started, though. I'm not a fan of the expression "you can't take the Christ out of Christmas" and every year, someone whips it out. It creeps me out (due to my name).
If there is a war on Christmas, I am in full battle mode. You should see my credit card bill!

If Christmas is abbreviated Xmas, does this make you Xine??
Old 11-26-2012, 10:49 AM   #1955
Glitter Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadgeRPh View Post
If Christmas is abbreviated Xmas, does this make you Xine??
Ooh, should we call you that for the xmas season, Xine?
Old 11-27-2012, 07:59 AM   #1956
Watercolor Wizard

Lawrence O'Donnell talked about the War on Christmas on MSNBC last night. He linked this great article by Ricky Gervais. It's worth the read:

Ricky Gervais: Why I Don't Believe in a God - WSJ.com

Old 11-27-2012, 10:44 AM   #1957
Hardware Hotshot

Definitely worth the read. I agree with every word.
Stephanie
Old 11-27-2012, 11:57 AM   #1958
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggainok View Post
Lawrence O'Donnell talked about the War on Christmas on MSNBC last night. He linked this great article by Ricky Gervais. It's worth the read:

Ricky Gervais: Why I Don't Believe in a God - WSJ.com

What a great article. Mirrors my own feelings exactly.
Old 11-27-2012, 12:52 PM   #1959
Watercolor Wizard

If you liked the Ricky Gervais article, here is the follow-up written a couple of weeks later. He got a lot of response to the article, and here he answers some questions he received:

Does God Exist? Ricky Gervais Takes Your Questions - Speakeasy - WSJ

Old 11-27-2012, 03:57 PM   #1960
Crimping Master

Thanks for sharing both of those articles! I do agree with what he said...I had never heard the elephant up your a** comparison before...I may have to use that one some day