Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree142Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2012, 07:59 PM   #1881
This reminds me of a Star Trek episode....

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily55 View Post
Hey Wrose, nice picture!

Physics makes MEGO.
Thanks! I needed a big smile to cheer me up when I'm in the current events forum.

"Fun must be always." - Tomas Hertl, San Jose Sharks
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 09-30-2012, 08:21 AM   #1882
Crimping Master

Y'all know this one hits me close to home...curious to see what the final outcome will be:

Colorado city urged to stand firm against anti-prayer campaign | Fox News
Old 10-03-2012, 10:27 PM   #1883

They just don't get it. Freedom of religion means that I have the freedom to practice my own, or none, and not have to be forced to put up with one dominant religion at public functions.

I have no problem "putting up with" prayers before the meal if I attend a scouting function with my DH. I understand that group's beliefs and that I'm just a guest. I could not go if I didn't want to hear it. I just bow my head and think nice thoughts.

But at public functions that are supposed to be representative of ALL the people, an openly Christian prayer is inappropriate. It's that simple.

Old 10-03-2012, 10:28 PM   #1884

Sorry I took so long to respond, DH and I are in Atlanta for two weeks, going through stuff in his folks' home. The kids are home with the puppy.

Old 10-09-2012, 06:07 AM   #1885
Matboard Maniac

Default From 15 percent to 20 percent

Has anyone else read the story on Yahoo that for the first time in our history, the percentage of people calling themselves protestants fell below 50 percent? The article attributes it to the people who now consider themselves not religiously affiliated rising from 15 percent to 20 percent, and the decrease in stigma associated with admitting to being non-christian. That last part is probably greatly dependent upon what part of the country you live in.
Old 10-09-2012, 07:04 AM   #1886
Stazon Splitcoast

I saw this on the news!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Our numbers have swelled to 20%!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yay!!! This was a much needed piece of good news for me; I feel hammered by religious folk all around me. Besieged, I guess. Hooray!!!
Old 10-09-2012, 11:11 AM   #1887
Die Cut Diva

Yay for your total of 20% not having a religious affiliation! We are at around 30% here in NZ with about 60% being Christian. However the religiousness of that 60% is way less intrusive than in the US so I don't blame you for feeling besieged.
Stephanie
Old 10-13-2012, 12:21 PM   #1888
Glitter Guru

Hey, I saw this video and found it honest and inspiring. It looks like the downloader has a couple dozen interviews with atheists on his channel.

Thought you guys might be interested:

A Better Life in Yosemite with Alex Honnold - YouTube
Old 10-13-2012, 12:22 PM   #1889
Glitter Guru

PS I couldn't do what Alex Honnold does (free solo) in a million billion years!
Old 10-14-2012, 11:46 AM   #1890
Die Cut Diva

I just got this link Religious man fakes gay for a year - World - NZ Herald News for an article from our daily newspaper.

You may have already come across it but briefly a conserative Christian man from America's Bible Belt who hated gays, pretended to be gay for a year and ended up so sympathetic to their discrimination that he became an advocate for gay rights. He is still Christian but at least a considerably more tolerant and open-minded one, and hopefully one that will continue to question the bible.
Stephanie
Old 10-14-2012, 01:14 PM   #1891
Glitter Guru

There have been studies that show that the most influential criterion in whether someone is tolerant or phobic of homosexuality is whether that person has any gay friends or family whom they know well.

I thought the story was interesting - reminded me of the politically liberal guy who enrolled in the conservative evangelical college.
Old 10-14-2012, 03:18 PM   #1892

I completely believe that Alyson. I see people posting things and then saying they don't know anyone who is gay. Ya think? Who is going to let you know, if they can sense your feelings already?

That's why I'm happy to see so many gays on TV and just completely nonchalant about it. Matt Bomer on White Collar is one. Quite handsome, plays a straight guy, found out he's gay. Surprised. For him, it's no big deal. Doesn't hide it, doesn't flaunt it.

Old 10-21-2012, 07:08 AM   #1893
Hardware Hotshot

Does anybody here believe differently than their spouse? I finally admitted to myself about a year ago that I truly don't believe in any kind of god. My husband still very much believes. He teaches a Wednesday night class at church, and he and my son volunteer giving out donuts and coffee at the early service on Sundays. I know he is very concerned for me and probably thinks this is just a phase. I didn't tell him until the first of this year, and it went well, but sometimes it is hard.
I've honestly just reached a point where I realized I was pretending to be a lot of things that I wasn't. Republican was one of them, and my husband now knows I am proudly a democrat again. It feels like we disagree on everything. A friend of mine said it seems like the only thing we have in common are our kids, our house, and great sex. It feels like that to me sometimes, too. He wants to talk politics and religion with me, and I don't think I'm going to change his mind, I know he's not going to change mine, and I just don't want to talk about either. I enjoy him more when we aren't talking politics or religion.
I could really use some advice, even if you and your husband believe the same. We went to dinner and a movie last night, and it was kind of awkward.
Old 10-21-2012, 09:30 AM   #1894
Crimping Master

My husband and I sort of stopped believing around the same time. I don't know if either of us stopped believing first. Does your husband understand WHY you don't believe anymore? I know that, for me, I still listen to Catholic Radio on Sirius and DH rides me for that. I listen though, not because I am looking for guidance or anything but it's something that is still part of my "makeup". Sometimes I argue with the raido! Are the reasons for your non belief due to life experience? Science? Maybe if you discussed the why's of it and go back and forth a little it might help him to see your side. I think it might be good to discuss politics and religion as long as both of you know to be respectful. If you lose that, it might not work. This is probably not what you want to hear but, again this is just ME, when I am in a "debate" with a religious person I sort of lose respect for them when their argument does not hold up. I think they KNOW it does not hold up but are afraid to admit it and that makes it hard for me to really respect their view. Having a family that is involved in the church must have made it very hard for you to actually tell your husband and I think that took alot of courage...good for you for standing up for what you believe! I don't know what church you belong to...some are harder to leave than others. Religion was never a large part of my relationship with my husband so when we "lost" it, there was really no void or anything like that, we just go on with our lives. Sounds like church is very much a part of your families relationship so that is where I can't relate and can't really advise. I would hate to say the wrong thing...ya know? Curious to hear what others say...there are some great people in this section of the message board and I am glad you found your way over to this thread!!!
Old 10-21-2012, 10:09 AM   #1895
Hardware Hotshot

Mel, I'm glad I finally decided to post on this thread. I've read it for a long time, but never posted.
It was so scary and stressful finally telling him, but I think it was harder than not talking about it at all. Some of you may have heard of the church they go to. It's Lifechurch.tv. They are all over.
I thought it was such a coincidence that the threads above mine are about gay rights. I'm a huge gay rights supporter. I barely talk about it, but still my family thinks I'm weird. One day I was with my son at the drive thru at Starbucks, and as we were pulling away I said something about how nice the employee was who helped us. My son said, "Mom, you take the whole gay thing too far!" I said, "What are you talking about?" He said, "Same thing at the restaurant the other day. You were so nice to that bad waiter just because he was gay. Dad noticed it, too." Hmmm...I had to tell him that his gaydar must be better than mine, because it never entered my mind that those guys were gay. I just thought they were really nice, and trying hard to do a good job. :P I have some gay friends, and yes, I sometimes cry when I read something on facebook, and sometimes it is about somebody who couldn't be married to the person they were with for years, and when they died they weren't allowed to go to the funeral or something. That stuff really gets to me. Why do they think that makes me bad somehow? Seriously, I think they pray for me about this.
I am lucky enough to have several atheist friends. Most of them are online/not close friends, but my closest friend is an online friend I talk to daily. She says she tells her christian friends that she is probably the most blessed person they know, because EVERYBODY is praying for her!
Old 10-21-2012, 12:25 PM   #1896
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin in Okc View Post
Does anybody here believe differently than their spouse? I finally admitted to myself about a year ago that I truly don't believe in any kind of god. My husband still very much believes. He teaches a Wednesday night class at church, and he and my son volunteer giving out donuts and coffee at the early service on Sundays. I know he is very concerned for me and probably thinks this is just a phase. I didn't tell him until the first of this year, and it went well, but sometimes it is hard.
I've honestly just reached a point where I realized I was pretending to be a lot of things that I wasn't. Republican was one of them, and my husband now knows I am proudly a democrat again. It feels like we disagree on everything. A friend of mine said it seems like the only thing we have in common are our kids, our house, and great sex. It feels like that to me sometimes, too. He wants to talk politics and religion with me, and I don't think I'm going to change his mind, I know he's not going to change mine, and I just don't want to talk about either. I enjoy him more when we aren't talking politics or religion.
I could really use some advice, even if you and your husband believe the same. We went to dinner and a movie last night, and it was kind of awkward.
I'm athiest and so is my partner (we aren't married by choice but have been living together for 25 years) so I haven't experienced the difficulties you are facing with your husband, Erin. Let me say, though, that I admire your strength and courage hugely in facing this dilemma. You are showing great character and integrity.
Personally I find that strong religious beliefs underpins so many other intolerant attitudes (like anti gay), that I would have great difficulty living with or even having respect for someone who takes the bible literally, and is conservative politically. If, as you say, your husband wants to talk politics and religion with you and you don't, that you now support the democrats and he the republicans, and neither of you are going to change, then you have every right to negotiate 'no go' topics with him so you are not drawn into discussions you don't want to have. If this doesn't work and things remain tense and uncomfortable between you, then you might need to consider what you are getting from your marriage. It may be that each of you would be better off, in the long term, making someone else happy instead of each other unhappy.
Stephanie
Old 10-21-2012, 02:00 PM   #1897

Erin, my husband is not at all religious, but he does believe in God. He's very active in adult training in Boy Scouts. He's an Eagle Scout himself. I am decidedly unhappy with their anti-gay policies, and if it were me, would stop helping and make sure everyone knew why.

But the atheism.... He knows how I feel. We don't talk about it, probably because religion doesn't come up much. With most people, discussing their beliefs, I have little respect if someone tries to "prove" anything to me, because when I was Catholic, I learned that "faith" is the key. There IS no proof. Faith is held up as a lofty goal, something to strive for, because you have to take that final step with complete faith. Philosophers and theologians have danced around this for ages. Nobody can prove to you that there is a god. So if I were to discuss it with someone, and maintain a friendship, they would have to be willing to admit that there is some faith there that they are willing to accept, and that I do not. I'm okay with someone admitting that.

Like you, sometimes I think we don't have a lot in common. The kids are about to leave the nest, so we might find out soon how much that meant. But we just spent two weeks in Atlanta together, going through his parents' home, and it went very well. So who knows.

I'm glad you've posted here. I'm not sure I was any help, but I hope you can come to some kind of understanding. Mutual respect, agree to disagree.

DH and I differ politically but neither of us brings it up much to avoid arguments.

Old 10-22-2012, 09:44 PM   #1898
Polyshrink Goddess

Default I give! I just can't take it anymore!

I just caught an article stating that some parents in a California public school district object to free yoga classes being taught to their children because they don't want their children forced into meditation, Hinduism or Ashtanga yoga. Seriously ladies, I'm about ready to wave the white flag on rational thought and sane reactions of my fellow countrymen and women. As a physical education teacher, I use yogo in all my classes for all age levels with no connection to religion but instead as a way to zone in on your body and breathing, to improve strength and flexiblity and to promote non-medicated way for kids to calm down and find some inner peace in their often crazy lives. I feel as though I'm on the cusp of living in a Talibanesque society composed of members who stick their fingers in their ears, close their eyes and say "lalalalalalala" to anyone who doesn't see the world exactly the way they do. I am honestly feeling down right frantic right now!

I still attend church as I enjoy the sense of community, still feel a sense of obligation and am more agnostic than atheist but for weeks I've kept my lips tightly closed as the congregation prayed for god's insight and justice in keeping marriage between one man and one woman (while many of my divorced and remarried neighbors pray away without the slightest hint of hypocrisy). I have deleted all the political emails from my husband's aunt regarding following god's will into the voting booth (from a woman who had a child out of wedlock, was married, divorced and remarried). Calls to "protect the sanctity of life" flood my mailbox and inbox when it's really a call to "protect the sanctity of conception". Life after birth is an after thought.

If you haven't watched the video of the Missouri Pastor and his support of gay rights, it did offer me a glimmer of hope in our nation. As did VP Biden's comments during the VP debate stating that while he lived his personal life according to his faith, he said it was just that, personal.

Ladies, thanks for letting me vent. It's nice to have a place do it.

As my best friend says, "Stamping....it's cheaper than therapy" to which I add, "Not by much".

My mom was the proud recipient of my first handmade card. Cost $200.

~My Gallery~
Old 10-23-2012, 08:33 AM   #1899
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by raquelita_uno View Post
...for weeks I've kept my lips tightly closed as the congregation prayed for god's insight and justice in keeping marriage between one man and one woman (while many of my divorced and remarried neighbors pray away without the slightest hint of hypocrisy). I have deleted all the political emails from my husband's aunt regarding following god's will into the voting booth (from a woman who had a child out of wedlock, was married, divorced and remarried). Calls to "protect the sanctity of life" flood my mailbox and inbox when it's really a call to "protect the sanctity of conception". Life after birth is an after thought.

If you haven't watched the video of the Missouri Pastor and his support of gay rights, it did offer me a glimmer of hope in our nation. As did VP Biden's comments during the VP debate stating that while he lived his personal life according to his faith, he said it was just that, personal.

Ladies, thanks for letting me vent. It's nice to have a place do it.
About gay rights - every time I get discouraged, I think, "well, there is a silver lining". That silver lining is, that half (or more) of all gay couples will be spared the hassle of a divorce. I'm assuming of course, that if all gays have the right to marry, eventually half of them (like straights) will get divorced. Not much of a silver lining, but it cheers me up nevertheless.
Old 10-23-2012, 11:30 AM   #1900

Some comedians have asked, Don't gays have the right to be miserable just like the rest of us?

Old 10-23-2012, 12:35 PM   #1901
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stampin Wrose View Post
Some comedians have asked, Don't gays have the right to be miserable just like the rest of us?
Yeah!! I was joking to a Christian friend that if Christians wanted to PUNISH gay people, they'd all vote in FAVOUR of gay marriage!!
Old 10-23-2012, 01:25 PM   #1902
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLaFontaine View Post
Yeah!! I was joking to a Christian friend that if Christians wanted to PUNISH gay people, they'd all vote in FAVOUR of gay marriage!!
I like it!
Stephanie
Old 10-24-2012, 04:02 PM   #1903
Crimping Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by raquelita_uno View Post
I still attend church as I enjoy the sense of community, still feel a sense of obligation and am more agnostic than atheist
I think it's really sad that the only way to feel a sense of community is to attend church. I feel where you are coming from though, I meet more and more people these days who do the same thing.
Old 10-24-2012, 08:33 PM   #1904
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraftyMel2 View Post
I think it's really sad that the only way to feel a sense of community is to attend church. I feel where you are coming from though, I meet more and more people these days who do the same thing.
*Smiles* I didn't mean to imply that that's the only place that I feel a sense of community! I live in a town of less than 500 so we do a ton of stuff as a community (this evening ECFE families got together at school to decorate/carve pumpkins). I help at funerals and with other church functions more to help my neighbors than to save my soul I can understand that many do look for connections at church, especially in small towns, even if they aren't religious. In our town the churches and the bar (that's all you need to be a town, right?) are really the main gathering places.

This might sound silly, too. But I take my children to church so that we can discuss any messages given that may permiate our society and I can put them into a context that fits more with our family views, the same as any devout family might do. Last week I went home to my parents' and in the lobby of church were buttons supporting the constitutional gay marriage ban. My 7 year old wanted a button (didn't matter what was on it) but I was able to use it as a teachable moment to say that wearing that button would go against our family's values.

As my best friend says, "Stamping....it's cheaper than therapy" to which I add, "Not by much".

My mom was the proud recipient of my first handmade card. Cost $200.

~My Gallery~
Old 10-25-2012, 05:25 AM   #1905
Crimping Master

[QUOTE=raquelita_uno;19777240 In our town the churches and the bar (that's all you need to be a town, right?) are really the main gathering places.
[/QUOTE]

Ha! Sounds accurate to me! Drugs or Jesus...
Old 10-25-2012, 11:25 AM   #1906
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraftyMel2 View Post
Ha! Sounds accurate to me! Drugs or Jesus...
Or you could argue that Jesus is a drug. As Karl Marx wrote "Religion... is the opium of the people."
Stephanie
Old 11-02-2012, 10:39 AM   #1907
Pearl-ExPert

Smile You're not alone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin in Okc View Post
Kind of late with a response to this but... It took a major event - a divorce - to get me to question some of my beliefs. I definitely took on my husband's view on politics and went back to being a liberal, socially and economically. Ironically, my ex was an atheist all along. I started questioning those faith beliefs which I carried because of my family upbringing too.

I think you either need to talk more about this with your husband to get more comfortable with it or just agree to disagree and don't talk about it at all. It's definitely hard for everyone when someone does a major course change. You also have to make sure he's not doing or saying things that are passive agressive "I don't like this. Change back!"

I recommend theAsk Richard column on The Friendly Atheist blog. He answers questions from people dealing with issues around "coming out" as an atheist. Read some of his columns or write into him yourself! Just know you're not alone and you can always vent here

Martha
Old 11-02-2012, 11:43 AM   #1908
Stazon Splitcoast

Mini rant for the day...

I was having my vehicle serviced this morning and decided to wait. TV in the waiting room has on the CBN and 700 club. Imagine if a Muslim or Buddhist put on a Muslim or Buddhist centered show? Why is ok to subject a room full or people to a Christian show and that's ok but heaven forbid it would be a program about atheism or another religious denomination. It really ticks me off that some Christians continually cry foul and persecution when some have no issue pushing their religion down everyone else's throat?

Rant over...
Old 11-02-2012, 12:20 PM   #1909

I love Richard's column. Contrary to his public image sometimes seen as confrontational or abrasive, he is genuinely caring and concerned in these.

And it's not that he's confrontational, just that he won't be quiet when people want him to. ha ha ha

Old 11-02-2012, 12:58 PM   #1910

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadgeRPh View Post
Mini rant for the day...

I was having my vehicle serviced this morning and decided to wait. TV in the waiting room has on the CBN and 700 club. Imagine if a Muslim or Buddhist put on a Muslim or Buddhist centered show? Why is ok to subject a room full or people to a Christian show and that's ok but heaven forbid it would be a program about atheism or another religious denomination. It really ticks me off that some Christians continually cry foul and persecution when some have no issue pushing their religion down everyone else's throat?

Rant over...
LOL Annoying, isn't it.

It's not funny, really, though, because they DO cry foul and yet are such a dominant force and hard to avoid being bulldozed by them.

Old 11-02-2012, 01:39 PM   #1911

Ooops, why did I think that was Richard Dawkins' column???? lol My bad.

Old 11-03-2012, 05:30 PM   #1912
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Ooops, why did I think that was Richard Dawkins' column???? lol My bad.
As far as I know Dawkins does not have an advice column, nor a therapy background.
Old 11-03-2012, 05:33 PM   #1913
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Mini rant for the day...

Rant over...
But you know this is a Christian country! Lol
Old 11-04-2012, 07:11 PM   #1914

Saw this today: At the chilly Church of St. Rose in Belmar, N.J., its streets still slippery with foul-smelling mud, Roman Catholic Bishop David O'Connell said he had no good answer for why God would allow such destruction . But he assured parishioners: "There's more good, and there's more joy, and there's more happiness in life than there is the opposite. And it will be back."

Read more: Cold weather and new storm add to victims' misery - seattlepi.com

Ya think? Maybe it was simply science. It certainly was NOT because "of the gays" as some off-the-wall people have said. *shakes head*

Old 11-04-2012, 07:41 PM   #1915

Interesting:

The French are planning to legalize gay marriage.

But - now the Church is up in arms about it and encouraging people to take to the streets to protest.

Quote:
"I'm shocked by this attitude which I think is a kind of return to a fundamentalism that I find problematic," Jean-Marie Le Guen, Socialist senator from Paris, said of Vingt-Trois's speech to bishops in the pilgrimage town of Lourdes.
Party spokesman David Assouline said it was not the Church's role "to oppose the will of the legislature, especially concerning civil marriage in a secular republic."

In his Lourdes speech, Vingt-Trois, who is head of the bishops' conference, said legalizing same-sex marriage would profoundly affect the equilibrium of French society and harm children who would grow up without a father and a mother.

"It will not be 'marriage for all'," he said, citing the slogan of campaign for gay matrimony, "it will be the marriage of a few imposed on all".
French left hits back at Church over same-sex marriage | Reuters

I completely agree with the bolded part - for THIS country too...

But wait, they're going to force everyone to marry gays??? And children harmed without a mother and father? Surely he meant "without a woman and a man" and how bad of an insult is this to single parents?
What an idiot.

Old 11-04-2012, 10:58 PM   #1916
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Mini rant for the day...

Rant over...
Hah! I am used to this. I carry earplugs in my pocket. Those by themselves do not block the offending noise, but if I put them in and THEN hum quietly to myself, THAT blocks the noise. I guess because it's happened more often to me, I don't mind it 'cause I've come to figure that it's the business owner's decision and foul on me for going there a second time. It's also bothered me less since I always have the earplugs with me.

Really though, I use the earplugs much more often for (nice, pleasant, secular) music that is too loud for me.

Also, sometimes when I go over to a stamper's home, the religious radio station might be on, but from living with people with horrible musical tastes, I have trained myself to be able to block out unwanted music (if it doesn't have an overwhelming bass).

Sometimes I read the news on CBN just to compare and see how different the main stories are. Then I look at the littler stories that they carry, and whether my normal news sources are ignoring it. Then I look at which articles CNN is carrying that CBN is ignoring.

I can't handle more than a few moments of the 700 Club without feeling nauseous though.
Old 11-04-2012, 11:26 PM   #1917

Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLaFontaine View Post
Hah! I am used to this. I carry earplugs in my pocket. Those by themselves do not block the offending noise, but if I put them in and THEN hum quietly to myself, THAT blocks the noise. I guess because it's happened more often to me, I don't mind it 'cause I've come to figure that it's the business owner's decision and foul on me for going there a second time. It's also bothered me less since I always have the earplugs with me.

Really though, I use the earplugs much more often for (nice, pleasant, secular) music that is too loud for me.

Also, sometimes when I go over to a stamper's home, the religious radio station might be on, but from living with people with horrible musical tastes, I have trained myself to be able to block out unwanted music (if it doesn't have an overwhelming bass).

Sometimes I read the news on CBN just to compare and see how different the main stories are. Then I look at the littler stories that they carry, and whether my normal news sources are ignoring it. Then I look at which articles CNN is carrying that CBN is ignoring.

I can't handle more than a few moments of the 700 Club without feeling nauseous though.
Well I think it's sad that you have had to train yourself to drown stuff out.

But then again, I take my iPod to the gym because sometimes they are playing that horrible techno music.

Old 11-08-2012, 02:57 PM   #1918
Crimping Master

Quote:
Saw this today: At the chilly Church of St. Rose in Belmar, N.J., its streets still slippery with foul-smelling mud, Roman Catholic Bishop David O'Connell said he had no good answer for why God would allow such destruction . But he assured parishioners: "There's more good, and there's more joy, and there's more happiness in life than there is the opposite. And it will be back."
This made me think of Lino Rulli. He is "The Catholic Guy" on Sirius Sat. Radio and he was talking to his co-host Fr Rob and asking how to keep faith when something like this storm was coming...why couldn't god make it just turn right instead of left, he asked. Fr Rob's answer was basically that it's not Gods will to make it turn right instead of left and it's not for us to question. I did not listen to the whole show but I swear it sounded like Lino was losing his faith right there on live radio...and it was not the first time. Does anyone ever think that even the major religious folks might not believe the things they tell others to believe? Lino is not a major figure in the whole hierarchy of the Catholic Church, but as far as non-ordained people go, he is pretty well known. I mean, seriously, high members in every church that I know of have been involved in some sort of scandal at some point; something that for sure would send them on the "down" elevator but that did not stop them. Do you think they believed what they were preaching? How could they have?
Old 11-08-2012, 03:15 PM   #1919

I have wondered about that. I believe that a lot of them do believe. But I think that the higher up you go in any religious hierarchy, the more people do it for power and not because they still have faith.

A guy I dated once, said his mom was very religious. And she was going on about all this uber religious stuff one time, and her father, who had fed it to her as a child, said, "Holy cow, do you still believe all that crap?"

They were Catholic.

Old 11-08-2012, 03:35 PM   #1920
Crimping Master

Interesting. I find that same thing in my own family...my MIL who is right off the boat Italian, always has been VERY Catholic, now says things just like that when we are talking. I always thought that people became MORE religious as they got older because they were, as Roger Waters put it, shorter of breath and one day closer to death. I find that in my own little circles, it is quite the opposite.