Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree112Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2012, 01:36 PM   #1841
This reminds me of a Star Trek episode....

Mel, yes, things have changed a TON since I was in school. Back in the 50s and 60s, science was horribly dry and boring and they were all nerds in plaid coats. HAHAHA Well okay I exaggerate a little. But the space program had drawn in people of all sorts who were enthusiastic about this new stuff, and even the little weekly readers that the kids started to bring home, had "cool science" stuff in them. There was no such thing in my early days.

Gawd my physics teacher was the epitome of nerd of the 60s. No wonder I almost didn't pass the subject.

Abby: So, what about you, Gibbs? You got any fetishes?
Gibbs: I have three ex-wives. I don't have time for fetishes.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 09-05-2012, 01:37 PM   #1842

DH has a bachelor's and master's in Electrical Engineering, so physics to him is like stamping is to me. lol DS is studying for his EE degree now. The two of them get going and - somebody mentioned Charlie Brown's teacher?

Yeah that.

Old 09-06-2012, 06:42 AM   #1843
Pearl-ExPert

Cool Pushed by Obama, Dem's Insert God and Jerusalem Language into Platform

They aren't afraid of the religious extremists on reproductive rights but they are on Israel and God language? Not to mention the illusion of delegates input to the convention.
Old 09-06-2012, 04:26 PM   #1844
Stazon Splitcoast

Let's be honest. Jerusalem was added back in because of the state of Florida -- they need the retired Jewish vote to win that state.
Old 09-06-2012, 05:11 PM   #1845
Stazon Splitcoast

Okay, I actually don't mind that they put the God language back in there. I think most people (including most Democrats) DO believe in God and would not want the Democrats to alienate what few voters there are who are pro-gay-marriage and pro-abortion rights.
Old 09-06-2012, 05:16 PM   #1846
Crimping Master

I don't care if it's in there or not, makes no difference to me.
Old 09-06-2012, 07:41 PM   #1847

I wish all the god language was not in government stuff. It annoys me that we've retained something inserted in the paranoia of the 50s. I understand why they did it, they need the votes, but I wish that were not so. I wish everyone just said, hey it's personal.

Yeah like that'll ever happen in my lifetime.

Old 09-07-2012, 07:23 AM   #1848
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinois Marge View Post
Let's be honest. Jerusalem was added back in because of the state of Florida -- they need the retired Jewish vote to win that state.
Of course! Although I wonder how many Jews outside of AIPAC are actually rabidly zionist.
Old 09-07-2012, 07:27 AM   #1849
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLaFontaine View Post
Okay, I actually don't mind that they put the God language back in there. I think most people (including most Democrats) DO believe in God and would not want the Democrats to alienate what few voters there are who are pro-gay-marriage and pro-abortion rights.
There was a paragraph or two about the importance of faith, they just avoided the use of god. I think it's positive that there were at least as many against these changes as were for it.

I understand the reasons for it, just don't think the dem's should cave to repub's criticism.
Old 09-07-2012, 07:28 AM   #1850
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stampin Wrose View Post
I wish all the god language was not in government stuff. It annoys me that we've retained something inserted in the paranoia of the 50s. I understand why they did it, they need the votes, but I wish that were not so. I wish everyone just said, hey it's personal.

Yeah like that'll ever happen in my lifetime.
Agreed.
Old 09-07-2012, 08:25 AM   #1851
Glitter Guru

What bothered me about the issue of putting the word god into the platform was the way the democratic process was ignored. The 'ayes' and 'nays' were obviously about equal, not a 2/3 majority as required, but because the teleprompter had scripting up saying "the chairman recognizes a majority and the amendment is adopted", and because the guy didn't have the spine to state reality, the amendment really was adopted.
Old 09-07-2012, 02:16 PM   #1852
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlysonRR View Post
What bothered me about the issue of putting the word god into the platform was the way the democratic process was ignored. The 'ayes' and 'nays' were obviously about equal, not a 2/3 majority as required, but because the teleprompter had scripting up saying "the chairman recognizes a majority and the amendment is adopted", and because the guy didn't have the spine to state reality, the amendment really was adopted.
As they say the conventions have no real purpose anymore except to rally the troops - and use the delegates as needed.
Old 09-11-2012, 04:18 AM   #1853
Crimping Master

Last night we attended an assembly at our daughters school. She, along with others in her class, were being inducted into the National Honor Society. At the beginning of the ceremony, according to the hand-out, they were having "Opening Remarks" being said by one of the Officers. Oh, how nice. I am sure it will be something about being in the Honor Society and being a high acheiver Guess what the "Opening Remarks" were? C'mon, give it a guess.....Yep...That's right...."Heavenly Father, we would like to thank you" blah blah blah. REALLY?!?!?! At a SCHOOL function?!?!?!!? As my husband and I looked around the room at heads bowed and arms folded, we both just sort of rolled our eyes and let it go. Well, that was until it came time for "Closing Thoughts" which started, again, with "Heavenly Father, we would like to thank you". Now, where I come from, if you start of ANYTHING with head bowed and the word "Father" then you are not remarking or thinking...you are praying. I had to contain DH from saying something to the principal and advisors and he almost went to the superintendent but I stopped him because I did not want to cause a scene. (I hate that about myself!!!) I swear I sometimes think I live in the only state where they havent sent the memo about mixing church and state! How can they not care that this is not appropriate? I always look the other way when they are all praying at work and DD said that she looks the other way when they are praying in school but still...I thought this was not allowed unless you were in a parochial school? (haha, funny little side note: I went to Google "parochial" to be sure I was spelling it right and the first definition that came up was "Of or relating to a church parish" and the second was "Having a limited or narrow outlook or scope" haha, funny how those 2 meanings come up for the same thing)
Old 09-11-2012, 06:04 AM   #1854
Glitter Guru

Mel, if you and your daughter don't feel comfortable confronting the school, contact these folks: Freedom From Religion Foundation They'll send a letter to the school to inform them of their illegal action. FFRF is having great success in getting schools and other government entities to stop having Christian prayers, usually just with a letter.
Old 09-11-2012, 06:08 AM   #1855
Glitter Guru

Here's the specific link for reporting a state/church violation:Report a State/Church Violation - Our Legal Work - Freedom From Religion Foundation
Old 09-11-2012, 08:21 AM   #1856
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlysonRR View Post
Here's the specific link for reporting a state/church violation:Report a State/Church Violation - Our Legal Work - Freedom From Religion Foundation
Mel, I found this link which has good info about prayer in schools. My kids are grown and grandkids are homeschooled, so I wasn't sure about the current state of the law regarding this.

Sounds like the school is in violation of the law and you should report it.

Religion in the Public Schools - Prayer in Public School

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama

Last edited by buggainok; 09-11-2012 at 08:25 AM..
Old 09-11-2012, 09:24 AM   #1857
Crimping Master

Thanks...I went to that first website and did report it. It gets kind of sticky here where I live because if you are NOT part of the church, you are shunned. They SAY they don't teach that but while they might not TEACH it, they sure do PRACTICE it and it can be hard sometimes. I love living here...the weather is great, the scenery is wonderful and I have a good job. The problem is the people...they are just not all they claim to be and I am often in fear of losing my job or DH's business going down hill if we are in the least bit vocal about our feelings towards the whole church involvement in everything. It's easy to say that I could sue for discrimination but anyone who lives in the real world knows it is not as simple as that. I end up just sitting back and watching it happen because I am so afraid. There are some members of the church who actually "get" what it's all about, but the vast majority of the members I have met, simply don't get it at all. ARGH! I just get down sometimes and need to remind myself that I don't need people like this in my life and the fact that they treat people like crap should be enough to tell me that I don't want them in my life anyway. Thanks for letting me vent Nice to be among folks who know how I feel and that I am not a bad person just because I don't believe in church or religion. Really...it does mean a lot to have this section of SCS here. I don't feel nearly as alone as I did before I found y'all
Old 09-11-2012, 10:49 AM   #1858
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraftyMel2 View Post
Thanks...I went to that first website and did report it. It gets kind of sticky here where I live because if you are NOT part of the church, you are shunned. They SAY they don't teach that but while they might not TEACH it, they sure do PRACTICE it and it can be hard sometimes. I love living here...the weather is great, the scenery is wonderful and I have a good job. The problem is the people...they are just not all they claim to be and I am often in fear of losing my job or DH's business going down hill if we are in the least bit vocal about our feelings towards the whole church involvement in everything. It's easy to say that I could sue for discrimination but anyone who lives in the real world knows it is not as simple as that. I end up just sitting back and watching it happen because I am so afraid. There are some members of the church who actually "get" what it's all about, but the vast majority of the members I have met, simply don't get it at all. ARGH! I just get down sometimes and need to remind myself that I don't need people like this in my life and the fact that they treat people like crap should be enough to tell me that I don't want them in my life anyway. Thanks for letting me vent Nice to be among folks who know how I feel and that I am not a bad person just because I don't believe in church or religion. Really...it does mean a lot to have this section of SCS here. I don't feel nearly as alone as I did before I found y'all

I understand, Mel. Your livelihood and family comes first in any action you take. Sometimes we need to let others carry the banner and fight the fight for a while. Thank goodness for the ACLU!

I live in the middle of Oklahoma, which is a very fundamentalist religious state. A casual conversation can lead folks to start "witnessing" whether you want to hear it or not. I try to be polite, and don't argue, but firmly say I have my own beliefs and am not interested.

When I'm at functions where they pray, I just close my eyes and stand quietly, and think my own thoughts.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Old 09-11-2012, 11:03 AM   #1859
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggainok View Post
I understand, Mel. Your livelihood and family comes first in any action you take. Sometimes we need to let others carry the banner and fight the fight for a while. Thank goodness for the ACLU!

I live in the middle of Oklahoma, which is a very fundamentalist religious state. A casual conversation can lead folks to start "witnessing" whether you want to hear it or not. I try to be polite, and don't argue, but firmly say I have my own beliefs and am not interested.

When I'm at functions where they pray, I just close my eyes and stand quietly, and think my own thoughts.
I don't close my eyes. I look around (without moving my head) and search for others who also aren't praying. There's always hope!
Old 09-11-2012, 11:05 AM   #1860

Mel and Bugga, I'm glad you found us here.

Old 09-11-2012, 11:06 AM   #1861

Quote:
I don't close my eyes. I look around (without moving my head) and search for others who also aren't praying. There's always hope!
ha ha ha, now there's a positive hopeful attitude!

Old 09-11-2012, 11:19 AM   #1862
Crimping Master

Quote:
HA! That is what we did last night...just sort of glanced around the room. That was how I knew that my daughter did not bow her head. Of course, I did not see the people behind us but in front of us, we saw one other person just sort of hanging out, looking at his fingernails
Old 09-11-2012, 11:47 AM   #1863
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
I sympathsise with your concerns. As I understand it FFRF should be able to advocate for you without naming you as the reporter. These days it seems school districts with tight budgets are less likely to fight when they will probably lose. However you do live in Utah.

How do you manage to avoid the "shunning" if you aren't going to any church?

I think finding this thread was one of the best things to happen to me on SCS. We are blessed are we not? LOL
Old 09-11-2012, 12:20 PM   #1864
neglecting the kids and housework

Quote:
More and more I find myself sighing and rolling my eyes. Unless I'm at a religious event. Then I'm respectful. But for prayer to just pop up randomly and so forwardly around here is rare. A few weeks ago I went out with a bunch of girlfriends to reunion and all of these close ones know I don't believe and we all got our plates and sat down to eat and I said "OK who wants to say grace?" You should have seen their faces! Priceless. One said "I don't want to I'm sitting next to you and afraid I'll get stricken too" I love those girls.

Actually one is currently moving farther away from organized religion (tho she's found a wonderful inclusive church) because her and her husband arent' able to have kids and one of the arguments against gay marriage is that it's a null marriage becasue those couples can't have kids. She feels very strongly that that statements aims to void her marriage as well.
Old 09-11-2012, 12:23 PM   #1865

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily55 View Post
I sympathsise with your concerns. As I understand it FFRF should be able to advocate for you without naming you as the reporter. These days it seems school districts with tight budgets are less likely to fight when they will probably lose. However you do live in Utah.

I think finding this thread was one of the best things to happen to me on SCS. We are blessed are we not? LOL
My brain always translates that to "we are lucky" ....

Old 09-11-2012, 12:24 PM   #1866

It has a passive connotation to me. I guess so does being lucky.
I mean I'm thankful for my job but it wasn't luck that got it for me
Old 09-11-2012, 12:25 PM   #1867

It was my good looks and winning personality
Old 09-11-2012, 12:46 PM   #1868
Crimping Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily55 View Post
It's not easy being nice to people who are not nice back but I manage. I have met a few people who don't care one way or the other and those are the ones I try to stick with. In these little towns, people know within a few days if you are "one of them" as soon as Sunday rolls around I have lived here about 7 years and I know about 4 of my neighbors. The others will see me and smile but never wave or stop to say hello or anything like that. That might not sound like anything out of the ordinary for those who live in big cities but here in podunk, believe me, you know everyone's story within a few months!! When my daughter was younger it was hard to make friends because parents are quite protective; if they don't see you at church, their children don't play with yours and they do not have a hard time telling you that to your face. She is a Sr in HS now and it's not nearly as bad...teenagers always manage to figure out a way
Old 09-11-2012, 12:47 PM   #1869
Crimping Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewsplendidstamper View Post
It was my good looks and winning personality
Old 09-11-2012, 12:57 PM   #1870

I have to say what you're describing is seriously foreign to me.
This past Labor Day we went to a bay party for a classmate of my son. The group of kids and parents that all hang out are so wonderful and loving and hilarious and naughty. We have a blast together. The party was Olympic themed and at one point all the kids came in procession with flags to start the events and then lined up. Here's what we saw
one girl of black mom and middle eastern dad
one boy of japanese/scottish dad and japanese caucasian mom (sorry not sure which nationality)
two kids of portuguese american mom and german american dad
two kids of german dad french american mom
two kids of middle eastern dad and asian/potuguese mom
two kids (mine) of german/french/danish/potuguese momnative american/irish dad

They were gorgeous, healthy smiling having fun and not a one of us grownups gives a hoot about what the other thinks because we are all really good people.we support each other, our school, our community. I had the honor of doing my fourth Avon Walk with one of the moms who was just shy of a year clear of cancer. We work, we teach our kids to recycle and smile and be respectful. I'm openly a non believer in the group and I know the others are church goers. But we' are parents and people community members above all else.

Dang uh sorry. I've been cooped up with kids a lot lately lol
Old 09-11-2012, 01:19 PM   #1871
Compulsive Stamper

And that's the way it should be.
Old 09-11-2012, 01:38 PM   #1872
Crimping Master

sewsplendidstamper, that sounds like a blast!!! DH found out a few weeks back about a concert in a local park...live music, blankets on the grass...my kind of thing We went down and there were probably 20 people there and I had a great time! The music was great and the weather was perfect...I really enjoyed myself. I told him that we definitely need to find out who these people are and get to know them! He is working on it; he hates to see me cry and that is what I do when I try to make a friend and then get the cold shoulder. He is a yeller, I am a cryer haha! He is one of those who really does not care if you like him or not and I am one of those who gets their heart broken easily. He is a fabulous protector of my feelings. He called me a few minutes ago to tell me about a concert going on this weekend so we are going to go! I am really excited!! SO...enough of my whining and crying and on to better things!! You gotta love him...daughter is 17, I am in the throws of menopause...this poor guy is swimmin' in the estrogen ocean and he still keeps coming home at night Life is good.
Old 09-11-2012, 06:53 PM   #1873
Glitter Guru

After reading about your experiences in other parts of the country, I feel so lucky to be in one of the most secular states
Old 09-12-2012, 06:53 AM   #1874
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
It's not easy being nice to people who are not nice back but I manage. I have met a few people who don't care one way or the other and those are the ones I try to stick with. In these little towns, people know within a few days if you are "one of them" as soon as Sunday rolls around I have lived here about 7 years and I know about 4 of my neighbors. The others will see me and smile but never wave or stop to say hello or anything like that. That might not sound like anything out of the ordinary for those who live in big cities but here in podunk, believe me, you know everyone's story within a few months!! When my daughter was younger it was hard to make friends because parents are quite protective; if they don't see you at church, their children don't play with yours and they do not have a hard time telling you that to your face. She is a Sr in HS now and it's not nearly as bad...teenagers always manage to figure out a way
Well hearing that. I'm doubly glad you have this thread to come to.
Old 09-18-2012, 03:57 PM   #1875
Crimping Master

Will science someday rule out God? - Technology & science - Science - LiveScience | NBC News

Saw this when I hopped on the computer tonight, thought I would share it
Old 09-18-2012, 11:03 PM   #1876

Interesting article. Physics is fascinating to me. It's like magic. It's not always even logical, to me. LOL

Old 09-19-2012, 04:07 AM   #1877
Crimping Master

Physics is a mystery to me for the most part but then someone will say something and it will make complete and total sense. There are so much great television these days explaining things that either weren't KNOWN when I was younger or weren't spoken about on TV because I don't remember learning any of this stuff in school. It was funny, we were watching a rerun of the Big Bang Theory the other night and Sheldon was explaning something to Penny and DH could tell by the look on my face that I just "got it" and he said I should change my FB status to say : Everything I needed to know about physics I learned from The Big Bang Theory!! hahaha!
Old 09-19-2012, 11:28 AM   #1878
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stampin Wrose View Post
Interesting article. Physics is fascinating to me. It's like magic. It's not always even logical, to me. LOL
Hey Wrose, nice picture!

Physics makes MEGO.

Last edited by tigerlily55; 09-19-2012 at 11:28 AM.. Reason: spelling
Old 09-19-2012, 11:38 AM   #1879
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Will science someday rule out God? - Technology & science - Science - LiveScience | NBC News

Saw this when I hopped on the computer tonight, thought I would share it

At least this article didn't try to make religious people more comfortable eg. non-overlapping magisteria.
Old 09-19-2012, 07:59 PM   #1880

Quote:
Physics is a mystery to me for the most part but then someone will say something and it will make complete and total sense. There are so much great television these days explaining things that either weren't KNOWN when I was younger or weren't spoken about on TV because I don't remember learning any of this stuff in school. It was funny, we were watching a rerun of the Big Bang Theory the other night and Sheldon was explaning something to Penny and DH could tell by the look on my face that I just "got it" and he said I should change my FB status to say : Everything I needed to know about physics I learned from The Big Bang Theory!! hahaha!
Ha ha! Well, DH has a BSEE and MSEE from Georgia Tech and DS is in an engineering program, and I like to say I learned all my physics from the two of them!