Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree112Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2012, 01:53 AM   #1641
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerridwen3301 View Post
since when were intolerance & hypocrisy christian values???
Since the Bible condones it - intolerance at least. Homosexuality - an abomination! Women? They must submit to their husbands. Witches? Burn them.

I think the Bible brings out the best in some people, but in others, it definitely brings out the worst.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 06-28-2012, 04:19 AM   #1642
Embossing Fanatic

This is in reply to Stampin Wrose and about diet. When I click on the link near your name, I get the one for Sophie?
Wrose, did you do the WW on-line version? Do they provide you with portion size/weight guides? A doctor whose judgement I respect thought that WW was a healthy way to lose weight. They only advocate losing weight gradually.
Lately, in medical circles, they seem to have changed the idea that we should drink 8 glasses of water a day. Good, I never could drink that much! glub, glub.
Old 06-28-2012, 07:40 AM   #1643
Compulsive Stamper

Hi cerridwen3301, save me a spot when you go out to lay in the traffic, please.
Old 06-28-2012, 11:21 AM   #1644
Polyshrink Goddess

1. "Wheat Belly" is not a diet unless you want it to be. (I've already lost 55 pounds on a low carb diet, brought my blood sugar in normal range, yadayada)
2. Hybridized wheat is NOT the same as wheat 50 years ago - it's short, stocky with big seed heads and, because of it's altered chemical structure, it is addictive. (read the science)
3. The Agribusiness lobby is a BIG supporter of the government agencies who make the food pyramid.
4. And guess who supports "nutritional education".

I submit to you - "follow the money".

You can save a spot for me, too, right next to you in traffic.
Old 06-28-2012, 02:24 PM   #1645
This reminds me of a Star Trek episode....

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilactime View Post
This is in reply to Stampin Wrose and about diet. When I click on the link near your name, I get the one for Sophie?
Wrose, did you do the WW on-line version? Do they provide you with portion size/weight guides? A doctor whose judgement I respect thought that WW was a healthy way to lose weight. They only advocate losing weight gradually.
Lately, in medical circles, they seem to have changed the idea that we should drink 8 glasses of water a day. Good, I never could drink that much! glub, glub.
I'm not sure what link of mine would give you Sophie's info, but if you click on my name over on the left, a drop down menu should appear?

I did the meetings plus online for just over five years, that was basically $40 a month. I know online only is a lot less. Now when I weigh in at or within two of goal each month, I earn two months of free eTools. I don't always make it every month, but I've stayed close.

There is a lot of info on the WW site, portion size is a big topic, always. Weight guides - they do have one but they don't emphasize it when you start or anything. You don't have to pick a goal weight right away. I think because some people get overwhelmed.

Abby: So, what about you, Gibbs? You got any fetishes?
Gibbs: I have three ex-wives. I don't have time for fetishes.
Old 06-28-2012, 02:33 PM   #1646

Quote:
AAAARRRRGH!!! hahahha! i had forgotten all about this group but this is where i should have been! if i hear one more preachy fundamentalist christian spouting of bible crap i might go lay in traffic!!!!

can you tell i have had enough? why is it freakin' everywhere and WHY do i need to be concerned about expressing my opinion? if they can express theirs why can't i express mine?

*breathe*

i know lots of practicing christians might be good people but i tell you i can't see ANY of jesus's teachings in the loudest ones. since when were intolerance & hypocrisy christian values??? i am hoping it will slow down after the election but wow. scares the daylights out of me that some of these people are and could be in government positions and in control of our world. i don't see them as any better than the guys who crashed the planes on 9/11.

i don't care what they believe i just want them to quit trying to push it onto everyone else!

ok back to work for me i just really neeeded to connect with some folks who think like i do!
Yep yep yep! Nice to see you back!!

Is it just where you live? Where you work? All around?

Old 06-28-2012, 03:00 PM   #1647
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Maybe you clicked near post 1639 - I had posted right before Stampin Wrose, and then she quoted me in the very next post.
Old 06-28-2012, 03:59 PM   #1648
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
I am surprised that US medical circles ever advocated drinking that much water. The whole 8-glass a day thing was made up by the manufacturers of water filtration systems and was never a medical recommedation. Here in New Zealand, doctors who were asked all said that you only need to drink when you are thirsty and enough to slake your thirst.

Stephanie
Old 06-28-2012, 04:34 PM   #1649
Stazon Splitcoast

I tried to drink 8 glasses of water in one day just once. I had to keep going to the bathroom, and it felt soooo unnatural. I just gave up.
Old 06-29-2012, 09:12 AM   #1650
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerridwen3301
since when were intolerance & hypocrisy christian values???

Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLaFontaine View Post
Since the Bible condones it - intolerance at least. Homosexuality - an abomination! Women? They must submit to their husbands. Witches? Burn them.

I think the Bible brings out the best in some people, but in others, it definitely brings out the worst.
I have two thoughts on this subject.

1. problems start when power is coupled with religion.

2. people forget that morality is about how you treat others, nothing else matters.

"Yet dawn is ever the hope of men." Aragorn in The Two Towers by JRR Tolkien
Old 06-29-2012, 11:17 AM   #1651

I've noticed something, when I do go to Facebook and am reading some posts, and say someone is talking about the fires, and then other people jump in with how they are praying for this or that or how God will do this or that, and I can't help but think they sound crazy. I don't ever say anything, but in my head, I find myself "rewriting" what they typed, and leaving God out, and noticing how much more sensible it is now.

Does this happen to anyone else? hmm, maybe this is what prompted Jefferson to write his "bible."
Jefferson Bible - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-29-2012, 11:42 AM   #1652
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stampin Wrose View Post
I've noticed something, when I do go to Facebook and am reading some posts, and say someone is talking about the fires, and then other people jump in with how they are praying for this or that or how God will do this or that, and I can't help but think they sound crazy. I don't ever say anything, but in my head, I find myself "rewriting" what they typed, and leaving God out, and noticing how much more sensible it is now.

Does this happen to anyone else? hmm, maybe this is what prompted Jefferson to write his "bible."
Jefferson Bible - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Yeah, this used to happen to me all the time, only I never bothered "rewriting" anything in my head. I got sick of it and took myself off of Facebook permanently. It was too irritating for me to always have to refrain from typing what I REALLY thought, but at the same time, I didn't want to offend ALL my family and friends, so this was the best solution.

Unfortunately, this happened to me in real life too, just recently. A co-worker said that God wasn't "blessing" America right now, because too many people had turned away from Him; people like me. I was thinking "well, I turned away back when I was EIGHT, and how can it possibly be that too many people had turned away - 95% of America is Christian."

But, whatever.

Okay...I just Googled:
Religion in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
and I stand corrected. Only about 78% (76% to 80%) of Americans are Christians (either Protestants or Catholics).

Hmmm! Well, I must say, this somewhat renews my faith in mankind; in American mankind anyway. I think this would somewhat explain the increase in tolerance for gay marriage...
Old 06-29-2012, 12:16 PM   #1653
Mad Swapper

oh how funny - facebook crap irritating the living daylights out of me is what brought me back to this thread too - i needed some sanity!!!! and you're right i felt like i couldn't say it there but why not? all the christian postings about god is the ONLY way and the rest of us are damned offends ME. so why can they post and i can't? every now and then i can't help myself. like when someone at christmas put up a long post about the only reason for christmas is jesus blah blah blah and i posted no, actually it started as a pagan celebration and is not even held on jesus's birthday.

and morality. oh there's a big one that is getting to me. if you aren't christian you have no morals. really???? i have actually had people IN PERSON say that non-christians have no moral code and just run wild. ***??? ARRRRGHHH it is just so annoying. i have thought about putting up my own sort of non-christian posts - not anti-christian - believe whatever you want just quit shoving those beliefs down everyone's throats.

i read an interesting article about people identifying themselves as christians - in actuality a startling percentage of them when questioned further don't actually believe in the christian stuff, don't go to church and some don't even believe in jesus. which makes them NOT a christian.....
Old 06-29-2012, 12:20 PM   #1654
neglecting the kids and housework

Quote:
oh how funny - facebook crap irritating the living daylights out of me is what brought me back to this thread too - i needed some sanity!!!! and you're right i felt like i couldn't say it there but why not? all the christian postings about god is the ONLY way and the rest of us are damned offends ME. so why can they post and i can't? every now and then i can't help myself. like when someone at christmas put up a long post about the only reason for christmas is jesus blah blah blah and i posted no, actually it started as a pagan celebration and is not even held on jesus's birthday.

and morality. oh there's a big one that is getting to me. if you aren't christian you have no morals. really???? i have actually had people IN PERSON say that non-christians have no moral code and just run wild. ***??? ARRRRGHHH it is just so annoying. i have thought about putting up my own sort of non-christian posts - not anti-christian - believe whatever you want just quit shoving those beliefs down everyone's throats.

i read an interesting article about people identifying themselves as christians - in actuality a startling percentage of them when questioned further don't actually believe in the christian stuff, don't go to church and some don't even believe in jesus. which makes them NOT a christian.....
How many people have found Jesus while serving time? ROFL
Old 06-29-2012, 12:23 PM   #1655

Hey Cerridwen just hang out with me on fb all day long
Old 06-29-2012, 12:29 PM   #1656
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
They can post and I can't, because when they post, I am the probably the ONLY one who is offended. If I post, I'd offend ALL of them.

(Edited to add: I WOULD probably post if my audience would be a wider base - but on Facebook, I would be directly offending my family and friends - so I would be more willing to not post, or just leave, like I actually did)

Quote:
I had a discussion about this with a co-worker - he said what do I use for my moral code? (at least he didn't say that I didn't have one - though I don't ) I said I used my conscience. I said it was my theory that all Christians also use their OWN consciences and that would trump the Bible, because why else would there be SO MUCH disagreement over what the Bible means?? Christians pick and choose what to believe, and only use the Bible as reinforcement to back up what THEY individually think is right, from their own consciences.

Quote:
I basically just take someone at their word if they identify themselves as a Christian. To me it is such an odious thing - the word "Christian" (and related words) have such extremely negative connotations, that if someone admits to being one, I'd have no reason to doubt them.
Old 06-29-2012, 01:13 PM   #1657
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
This is scary - that people are calling themselves christian when they don't believe. It basically means that the word 'christian' has been aligned to a value system not just to a religion, and this increases the power of the church enormously.
Stephanie
Old 06-29-2012, 01:49 PM   #1658
Compulsive Stamper

What do the Jim Bakkers and pedophile priests of the world use for their moral codes? Just wondered.
Old 06-29-2012, 02:07 PM   #1659

Quote:
Originally Posted by suber View Post
What do the Jim Bakkers and pedophile priests of the world use for their moral codes? Just wondered.
Oh them? They were being tested. You know they have free will and all.
Old 06-29-2012, 02:08 PM   #1660
Polyshrink Goddess

[QUOTE=DawnDoings;19524369]I have two thoughts on this subject.

1. problems start when power is coupled with religion.

2. people forget that morality is about how you treat others, nothing else matters.[/QUOTE]

Here! HEAR!

Quote:
They can post and I can't, because when they post, I am the probably the ONLY one who is offended. If I post, I'd offend ALL of them.
Trust me! You are NOT the only one who gets offended. However, I don't have your good sense - I REPLY. Why should THEY be the only ones who are offensive? You probably have way more friends, though

Quote:
This is scary - that people are calling themselves christian when they don't believe. It basically means that the word 'christian' has been aligned to a value system not just to a religion, and this increases the power of the church enormously.
It's also expedient, especially if one lives in the south where the social life absolutely revolves around church. Where else would one meet people, make business contacts etc, except in church? Christianity is all pervasive. We decided against moving south for better weather for that reason. I haven't got the stomach to live a lie.

Honestly, I even hate to shop at Hobby Lobby because of the religious music. I used to not care what religion someone was - or what politics they followed. NOW, though certain groups are so strident and so hell bent for leather to make everyone toe their line, I certainly DO care. SO I CAN AVOID 'em!!!!

Excuse me. Curmudgeonly old lady here.
Old 06-29-2012, 02:11 PM   #1661

<---is almost on a daily basis happy to live where she does

Happy to be in the land of fruits and nuts
Old 06-29-2012, 04:07 PM   #1662

Quote:

I don't visit FB much or post much and I did hide the people who just posted religious "junk." But I have some thoughtful friends who just happen to be Christian and one is even a pastor and she has people who follow her and just make comments that show - to me - how deep the beliefs are. To me they are delusions, like Santa Claus. I keep wondering why I didn't see it sooner.

But I don't generally jump in on those conversations - although once or twice I have - and you know what? That conversation eventually ends up getting deleted because people don't like it when someone asks questions that make them think and question what they believe.

To clarify, the religious junk was things like lit candles and prayer chains and all sorts of things that I had no interest in. I don't mind a good discussion but I'm not forwarding any of that crap and please don't send it to me. lol

Old 06-29-2012, 04:13 PM   #1663

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkes View Post
Stephanie
I think people know that some churches, Catholic, Jewish, Mormon, have very specific rules and cultures but there are a lot of really non-religious people who participate socially in religion because of where they live, or out of habit or family tradition, and just don't think about it. They figure they live a good Christian life so they must be Christian.

This goes right along with the many Catholics who say they don't believe in transubstantiation. That's a defining difference of Catholicism from other religions. If you don't believe that, you really are not a Catholic.

Old 06-29-2012, 04:15 PM   #1664

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewsplendidstamper View Post
<---is almost on a daily basis happy to live where she does

Happy to be in the land of fruits and nuts
Yes it's amazing.

I was wondering if some of you might want to friend some of the atheist FB sites? There are a few that I get feeds from. Some are over the top - but just friending them might appear on your feed to some people, don't know what they might say.....

Old 07-01-2012, 09:03 AM   #1665
Watercolor Wizard

Default Atheist Clubs on the Rise

Thought some of you might like to read this:

Atheist Clubs Spring Up In High Schools Across The Country With Help From The Secular Student Alliance

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Old 07-01-2012, 10:30 AM   #1666
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggainok View Post
Interesting!
I read it, and then followed a link after that article to this one:
Autism-God Study Suggests Disorder Makes Belief In Deity Less Likely

Also very interesting!!
Old 07-01-2012, 01:01 PM   #1667

Several interesting articles, thanks!

Old 07-01-2012, 01:02 PM   #1668

Always nice to have some humanist readings on a Sunday.

Old 07-02-2012, 06:52 AM   #1669
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLaFontaine View Post
Maybe you clicked near post 1639 - I had posted right before Stampin Wrose, and then she quoted me in the very next post.
Sorry, I am just having a little trouble getting used to how things work on this site. Not sure why they have two types of answers and what the difference is. I do appreciate everyone's patience while I learn.
Old 07-02-2012, 06:58 AM   #1670
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:
I don't visit FB much or post much and I did hide the people who just posted religious "junk." But I have some thoughtful friends who just happen to be Christian and one is even a pastor and she has people who follow her and just make comments that show - to me - how deep the beliefs are. To me they are delusions, like Santa Claus. I keep wondering why I didn't see it sooner.

But I don't generally jump in on those conversations - although once or twice I have - and you know what? That conversation eventually ends up getting deleted because people don't like it when someone asks questions that make them think and question what they believe.

To clarify, the religious junk was things like lit candles and prayer chains and all sorts of things that I had no interest in. I don't mind a good discussion but I'm not forwarding any of that crap and please don't send it to me. lol
I find a lot of people with fundamentalist religious beliefs are uneducated. When you educate a polulation, religion declines and with good reason - people are taught to think.
Old 07-02-2012, 11:43 AM   #1671
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
I find a lot of people with fundamentalist religious beliefs are uneducated. When you educate a polulation, religion declines and with good reason - people are taught to think.
Right on!
Stephanie
Old 07-02-2012, 07:45 PM   #1672

Quote:
Fundamentalist yes, I would agree that for that to work, you would have to be fairly limited in education. I just can't see it otherwise. Too much cognitive dissonance to deal with.

But a fairly educated population can still have a lot of religion, just not fundamental. I know some really smart people that are very spiritual and religious. (I see them as two different things.)

It's just that since I "crossed over" to the other side, I'm surprised when I read things and see where all the assumptions are - the ones I don't believe in any more.

Old 07-10-2012, 04:18 PM   #1673
Embossing Fanatic

So glad I found this thread! I too am fed up with the self righteous christians who go out of their way to impose their screwed up beliefs on me and my family. Not all are like that; I have friends who describe themselves as christian, but don't "witness" or try to convert anyone; but I've run into many who do (and it seems they're multiplying like bunnies around here). My parents are "born again christians" and my mom tries to convert me all the time. I finally told her a year ago I was going to the unitarian universalist church so she'd get off my back. Worked for a while, but she'll still throw that conversion hoopla out once in a while. Glad there's several hundred miles between us so I don't have to deal with her showing up at my door on sunday morns trying to take my kiddos to their weekly brainwashing sessions!

Anywho, just wanted to introduce myself and thank whoever started this thread a while back for having the courage to do so. Looking forward to a long stay.
Old 07-10-2012, 04:38 PM   #1674
Die Cut Diva

Hi crrimal and welcome! I live in New Zealand. I was bought up in an athiest household (my dad rejected Christianity when he discovered science at age 13 and mum's parents were both athiest) so I haven't experienced the predudice against athiests/agnostics as there is in the US. Anyway feel free to drop in here anytime you want a reality check or just to vent!
Stephanie
Old 07-10-2012, 06:34 PM   #1675

Okay so you know they pretty much found a Higgs Boson Particle. And of course "some" call it a God particle. That has the scientists not exactly happy but whatever.

Interestingly, DD said she saw FB posts talking about it and saying, "take that, atheists."

And I said, really? They are okay with admitting that god is a particle? I'm surprised.

Perhaps they didn't stop to really think about it? Or am I missing something?

Old 07-11-2012, 03:30 AM   #1676
Embossing Fanatic

Welcome from Canada Crrimal!
Enjoyed your post and look forward to your participation.
Seems to me that most atheists are outnumbered in society. I find it so refreshing to hear from people who think for themselves and express themselves so clearly.
Cheers!
Old 07-11-2012, 04:56 AM   #1677
Crimping Master

Quote:
Okay so you know they pretty much found a Higgs Boson Particle. And of course "some" call it a God particle. That has the scientists not exactly happy but whatever.

Interestingly, DD said she saw FB posts talking about it and saying, "take that, atheists."

And I said, really? They are okay with admitting that god is a particle? I'm surprised.

Perhaps they didn't stop to really think about it? Or am I missing something?
I think that the person who said "Take that, athiests" simply saw a headline and never bothered to read what was underneath it. A more appropriate thing to say would have been "Take that, believers". I am guessing that is why scientists did not like the term to begin with, it can be misleading if you don't really think about it. Maybe if Mr Lederman had called his book The "God" Particle (with quotations) people would have better understood?
Old 07-11-2012, 03:54 PM   #1678

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraftyMel2 View Post
I think that the person who said "Take that, athiests" simply saw a headline and never bothered to read what was underneath it. A more appropriate thing to say would have been "Take that, believers". I am guessing that is why scientists did not like the term to begin with, it can be misleading if you don't really think about it. Maybe if Mr Lederman had called his book The "God" Particle (with quotations) people would have better understood?
Perhaps. But there was that Louisiana Congresswoman who thought funding for "religious" schools meant only Christian.

Hodges now leery of Jindal reform

Some people never think. Or - they stop to think and forget to start again.

Old 07-11-2012, 03:57 PM   #1679

Crrimal, welcome! Good to see new people here!

Old 07-11-2012, 04:19 PM   #1680
Crimping Master

Quote:
Perhaps. But there was that Louisiana Congresswoman who thought funding for "religious" schools meant only Christian.

Hodges now leery of Jindal reform

Some people never think. Or - they stop to think and forget to start again.
Well, bless her heart haha, that one gave me a laugh. I can't believe she really said those things!! Actually, I can believe it...