In the Forums

Register

Today's Posts

Search


Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter





Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads


 
Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree183Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2012, 03:07 PM   #1601
neglecting the kids and housework
 
sewsplendidstamper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Fund raising
Posts: 61,834
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily55 View Post
I feel a little weird about not visiting my parents' graves. I have memories of my mom and grandma taking us to the cemetery to cut the grass and plant flowers. I only go if I'm with one of my (believing) brothers and they want to go.
This past year my SIL's mother died. The funeral was at a cemetery in town where my mom's mom is buried. We did go look for her marker and found it and I realized that the headstone and what is chosen to go on it is more telling and interesting about the times and person.

When we had to pick out the stone for Natalie EVERYTHING said "our Angel" Our "my precious angel" Uh no. I honestly cannot even recall what we have on hers other than flowers and date. I have very selective memories of those weeks.
__________________
Victoria
~Made of awesome
~Bras For The Cause
sewsplendidstamper is online now  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 03:09 PM   #1602
neglecting the kids and housework
 
sewsplendidstamper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Fund raising
Posts: 61,834
Default

Wrose that wasn't the chinese place we went to (yes I see wrose IRL and I've met Phantom ) It's a town over. I actually prefer the one we went to because it's spicier and not as rich.
__________________
Victoria
~Made of awesome
~Bras For The Cause
sewsplendidstamper is online now  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 04:29 PM   #1603
This reminds me of a Star Trek episode....
 
Stampin Wrose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Aboard the Enterprise, watching NCIS reruns!
Posts: 99,972
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewsplendidstamper View Post
Wrose that wasn't the chinese place we went to (yes I see wrose IRL and I've met Phantom ) It's a town over. I actually prefer the one we went to because it's spicier and not as rich.
Oh okay. Yes that was really yummy.


Funny, we had two places we liked, we preferred one, DD preferred the other. But the one we preferred has been sold and we haven't tried the new incarnation yet.
__________________
Kathy Wrose

"Fun must be always." - Tomas Hertl, San Jose Sharks
Stampin Wrose is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 05:54 PM   #1604
Crimping Master
 
CraftyMel2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: A map dot in Utah
Posts: 1,150
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewsplendidstamper View Post
the headstone and what is chosen to go on it is more telling and interesting about the times and person.
.
That is so true! I vividly remember a headstone right up from my Grandpa's grave...it has a picture in it. It has a picture of this young teenager and a wave and it said "You found your endless summer". Funny how I remember it to this day and that was probably 35 years ago.
__________________
Ask yourself, "When Im on my deathbed, will I be glad I was so serious about _______?" Let down your hair and stop being so darn important for a while.
my gallery
CraftyMel2 is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 06:03 PM   #1605
Pearl-ExPert
 
tigerlily55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 2,657
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraftyMel2 View Post
That is so true! I vividly remember a headstone right up from my Grandpa's grave...it has a picture in it. It has a picture of this young teenager and a wave and it said "You found your endless summer". Funny how I remember it to this day and that was probably 35 years ago.
How touching!
__________________
Martha
Go Pack Go!
tigerlily55 is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 08:33 PM   #1606
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni
 
Serenity_Stamper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Roseville CA
Posts: 15,552
Send a message via Yahoo to Serenity_Stamper
Default

so sweet

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraftyMel2 View Post
That is so true! I vividly remember a headstone right up from my Grandpa's grave...it has a picture in it. It has a picture of this young teenager and a wave and it said "You found your endless summer". Funny how I remember it to this day and that was probably 35 years ago.
__________________
Stampingly, Serenity_Stamper

Stampin' Up! Challenges on SCS
Serenity_Stamper is online now  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 01:43 PM   #1607
Stazon Splitcoast
 
MadgeRPh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Just Relaxxin!
Posts: 11,399
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily55 View Post
I feel a little weird about not visiting my parents' graves. I have memories of my mom and grandma taking us to the cemetery to cut the grass and plant flowers. I only go if I'm with one of my (believing) brothers and they want to go.
I really need to come to this thread more often. I only have one or two friends I can speak with about my lack of belief. All the rest would have utter disdain for me if I told them how I really felt. I just listen when they discuss religion and don't say a word.

I'm happy that I am not the only person who doesn't visit graves. My dad passed away 4 years ago and is in a masoleum. Haven't gone yet. Don't intend to. I told my mom I was very happy she got the masoleum as I would not be visitng and/or tending graves, so she neded to be ok lying under an unkempt bed of weeds. I love mom and dad, but I am in another state, and am not one to visit gravesites. I wish to be creamated and my ashes scattered in some significant place. Besides, I don't want to be taking up valuable land.

DH on the other hand wants a casket, burial, etc.

We may need to have a discussion about this!
__________________
There is nothing so simple that I can't complicate it.

Last edited by MadgeRPh; 06-11-2012 at 01:47 PM..
MadgeRPh is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 10:23 PM   #1608
This reminds me of a Star Trek episode....
 
Stampin Wrose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Aboard the Enterprise, watching NCIS reruns!
Posts: 99,972
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadgeRPh View Post
I really need to come to this thread more often. I only have one or two friends I can speak with about my lack of belief. All the rest would have utter disdain for me if I told them how I really felt. I just listen when they discuss religion and don't say a word.

I'm happy that I am not the only person who doesn't visit graves. My dad passed away 4 years ago and is in a masoleum. Haven't gone yet. Don't intend to. I told my mom I was very happy she got the masoleum as I would not be visitng and/or tending graves, so she neded to be ok lying under an unkempt bed of weeds. I love mom and dad, but I am in another state, and am not one to visit gravesites. I wish to be creamated and my ashes scattered in some significant place. Besides, I don't want to be taking up valuable land.

DH on the other hand wants a casket, burial, etc.

We may need to have a discussion about this!
Ahhhh it's so sad to me that people have to feel this way, afraid to be who they are. In this "free" country. What a sad commentary.


Well come on in here any time. I enjoy seeing you here.
__________________
Kathy Wrose

"Fun must be always." - Tomas Hertl, San Jose Sharks
Stampin Wrose is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 11:10 PM   #1609
Hardware Hotshot
 
parkes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 4,087
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadgeRPh View Post
I really need to come to this thread more often. I only have one or two friends I can speak with about my lack of belief. All the rest would have utter disdain for me if I told them how I really felt. I just listen when they discuss religion and don't say a word.
This is so sad, that you can't be accepted for yourself by the people around you. Do come by here often.
Stephanie
__________________
To live a creative life, we must lose our fear of being wrong. Joseph Chilton Pearce
my gallery
parkes is online now  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 08:07 AM   #1610
Insane Embellisher
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Formerly Upstate New York, now Rome GA
Posts: 889
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadgeRPh View Post
. I wish to be creamated and my ashes scattered in some significant place. Besides, I don't want to be taking up valuable land.

DH on the other hand wants a casket, burial, etc.

We may need to have a discussion about this!
I'm with you - I've got a directive filed to donate all usable parts - if there's any left - ashes.

However, DH wants to be buried at Saratoga National Cemetery. He earned that right, so we've compromised. I get toasted, and the ashes go in the box with him, if I predecease him, or on top of it, if I don't. The front of the stone will have a cross, for him, because he's conventional even though he really doesn't believe. On the back will be the Humanist symbol, for me. Then, any guests get taken to the City Squire for wings and beer. All planned and paid for - I figgered it was the last party I'd get to plan.
LindaBabe is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 09:49 AM   #1611
Mad Swapper
 
nickelini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 1,750
Default

"Atheists...What if you're wrong??" - YouTube

Has anyone seen this guy? He's articulate, intelligent, and even good looking. He has a series of YouTube videos on non-belief. Check him out when you have a minute.
__________________
~ Children nowadays are tyrants. They contradict their parents, gobble their food and tyrannize their teachers ~
(attributed to Socrates 470-399 BC)

View My Gallery
nickelini is online now  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 09:53 AM   #1612
Mad Swapper
 
nickelini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 1,750
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by raquelita_uno View Post
When my mom passes (dad is convinced he'll go first) he wants her ashes in the same urn and I'm supposed to give it a little shake so they can be together for eternity. My mom is so cute, because she pulled me aside and said "Rachel, nobody's going to know what you do with the ashes once we're both gone. You don't need to keep us on a shelf. Mix me with cement and turn me into a nice garden sculpture or bench." I love my folks!
Oh, that's just great. I love it and may have to borrow it.
__________________
~ Children nowadays are tyrants. They contradict their parents, gobble their food and tyrannize their teachers ~
(attributed to Socrates 470-399 BC)

View My Gallery
nickelini is online now  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 09:57 AM   #1613
Mad Swapper
 
nickelini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 1,750
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by suber View Post
I was a Christian for most of my life, until right-wing religion started turning me off on the whole subject. What thses people say and do is totally the opposite of the Jesus I believed in. So many of these churches teach that people are wicked. If that is so, then you can't love and respect them, can you. They also jump all over you for having doubts and questions. I've heard and seen this happen. That, to me, sounds like fear,"What if I'm wrong about all this?". I may be wrong, but that's how I see it. And it's very good to have a place to express these things.
I think a lot of people are agreeing with you right now. Here's more: 8 Ways the Religious Right Wins Converts – To Atheism ~ ExChristian.Net
__________________
~ Children nowadays are tyrants. They contradict their parents, gobble their food and tyrannize their teachers ~
(attributed to Socrates 470-399 BC)

View My Gallery
nickelini is online now  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 09:59 AM   #1614
Stazon Splitcoast
 
MadgeRPh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Just Relaxxin!
Posts: 11,399
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stampin Wrose View Post
Ahhhh it's so sad to me that people have to feel this way, afraid to be who they are. In this "free" country. What a sad commentary.


Well come on in here any time. I enjoy seeing you here.
I suspect I may have used some hyperbole. I'm sure they would still love me but would have disdain for my views and mybe think a bit less of me. Well...a few of them anyway...th rest would be perfectly cool with it and one or two are I agreement with me.

I do have one friend in particular who absolutely believes her god has a plan and that we will all be reunited in heaven. DH told her one day and she replied that she felt so sorry for him that he believed that way. My response was tha they shouldn't feel bad for him. After all...if he's wrong then it's a pleasant surprise, but if they are wrong they may find themselves horribly disappointed. In any case, this particuar friend lost her dear daughter in an accident 2 years ago and if this is what gets her through each day, then I'm all for it. It wouldn't provide any comfort for me. I firml beieve our time on Earth is it. Make the best of it and enjoy each moment with those you love, beacuse once you're gone...it's over.
__________________
There is nothing so simple that I can't complicate it.
MadgeRPh is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 10:33 AM   #1615
Pearl-ExPert
 
tigerlily55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 2,657
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickelini View Post
"Atheists...What if you're wrong??" - YouTube

Has anyone seen this guy? He's articulate, intelligent, and even good looking. He has a series of YouTube videos on non-belief. Check him out when you have a minute.
Not familiar with him. It seems to me he could have used a lot less words. He basically expands on Dawkins argument in The God Delusion. If god/de is god/de then s/he knows what I believe and wouldn't be happy that I tried to fool her. If she doesn't know, she isn't god/de.
__________________
Martha
Go Pack Go!
tigerlily55 is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 11:10 AM   #1616
This reminds me of a Star Trek episode....
 
Stampin Wrose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Aboard the Enterprise, watching NCIS reruns!
Posts: 99,972
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaBabe View Post
I'm with you - I've got a directive filed to donate all usable parts - if there's any left - ashes.

However, DH wants to be buried at Saratoga National Cemetery. He earned that right, so we've compromised. I get toasted, and the ashes go in the box with him, if I predecease him, or on top of it, if I don't. The front of the stone will have a cross, for him, because he's conventional even though he really doesn't believe. On the back will be the Humanist symbol, for me. Then, any guests get taken to the City Squire for wings and beer. All planned and paid for - I figgered it was the last party I'd get to plan.
Cool!

We haven't talked about it, I haven't really thought about it much. DH is 51 but only buried his parents in the last two years, and my dad's been gone almost 5 but mom is still around. (Turned 84 yesterday!)


Still one never knows. I don't anticipate being buried in a Catholic cemetery like my folks are/will be, so cremation works.
__________________
Kathy Wrose

"Fun must be always." - Tomas Hertl, San Jose Sharks
Stampin Wrose is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 11:13 AM   #1617
Pearl-ExPert
 
tigerlily55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 2,657
Cool The Secret?! Really???

I was appalled to hear a supposedly educated mental health professional
advocating "The Secret." Really?! You're advocating gobbledy gook to people, instead of evidence based techniques?

He followed that up with Wayne Dyer. Ridiculous!

Vent over...
__________________
Martha
Go Pack Go!
tigerlily55 is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 11:14 AM   #1618
This reminds me of a Star Trek episode....
 
Stampin Wrose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Aboard the Enterprise, watching NCIS reruns!
Posts: 99,972
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadgeRPh View Post
I suspect I may have used some hyperbole. I'm sure they would still love me but would have disdain for my views and mybe think a bit less of me. Well...a few of them anyway...th rest would be perfectly cool with it and one or two are I agreement with me.

I do have one friend in particular who absolutely believes her god has a plan and that we will all be reunited in heaven. DH told her one day and she replied that she felt so sorry for him that he believed that way. My response was tha they shouldn't feel bad for him. After all...if he's wrong then it's a pleasant surprise, but if they are wrong they may find themselves horribly disappointed. In any case, this particuar friend lost her dear daughter in an accident 2 years ago and if this is what gets her through each day, then I'm all for it. It wouldn't provide any comfort for me. I firml beieve our time on Earth is it. Make the best of it and enjoy each moment with those you love, beacuse once you're gone...it's over.
I know what you meant, I think. Not that you'll be tarred and feathered but you know it would affect relationships you have. And that is sad.


I remember asking a friend that I'd known for a year if she went to any church (not "what church do you go to"). She said no, she's atheist. I wondered later if she wondered if that would be the end of our friendship because for some people, it would be.
__________________
Kathy Wrose

"Fun must be always." - Tomas Hertl, San Jose Sharks
Stampin Wrose is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 04:03 PM   #1619
Glitter Guru
 
AlysonRR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 5,281
Default

Fascinating article about the growing number of clergy who are admitting (whether publicly or privately) that they are non-believers:

Major Threat to Religion? Clergy People Coming Out as Atheists | Belief | AlterNet
__________________
My dear, all life is a series of problems which we must try and solve. First one, then the next, and the next, until at last, we die. --- Dowager Countess Violet Grantham
AlysonRR is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 06:02 PM   #1620
Compulsive Stamper
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Belton,TX
Posts: 38
Default

Do you all think that those of us who reveal our lack of faith in Christianity, or that we are atheists, will be in danger if the "American Taliban" ever gets the kind of power
they seem to want?
suber is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 06:18 PM   #1621
Stazon Splitcoast
 
SophieLaFontaine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: my heart remains in France
Posts: 19,219
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by suber View Post
Do you all think that those of us who reveal our lack of faith in Christianity, or that we are atheists, will be in danger if the "American Taliban" ever gets the kind of power
they seem to want?
No, not all of us. Only women of child-bearing age (who don't want children) will be in danger since they won't have any more access to contraception, sterilization, or abortion. Men, young infertile women, and women in or past the age of menopause will be safe. Oh, I forgot the gays. Gays and lesbians, etc. will also not be safe, since there will no longer be any anti-discrimination laws, hate-crime laws, or anti-bullying laws. Um, by "American Taliban" I'm assuming you mean far right fundamentalist Christians, and not extremist Muslims...
__________________
Faites l'amour, pas la guerre, ...ou alors, faites les deux : mariez vous !
Cards for troops and kids
SophieLaFontaine is online now  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 06:27 PM   #1622
Compulsive Stamper
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Belton,TX
Posts: 38
Default

Yes, I should have been more specific. I mean fundamentalist,extremist Christians. The more I read, and read between the lines, the more concerned I get. Guess this learning stuff really is dangerous!
suber is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 07:21 PM   #1623
neglecting the kids and housework
 
sewsplendidstamper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Fund raising
Posts: 61,834
Default

You and you're critical thinking skills *smh*
__________________
Victoria
~Made of awesome
~Bras For The Cause
sewsplendidstamper is online now  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 07:24 PM   #1624
neglecting the kids and housework
 
sewsplendidstamper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Fund raising
Posts: 61,834
Default

Yeah so I know it isn't very atheistic of me but every year I walk in the Avon Walk for Breast Cancer. It's 25 days away. I figure since none of you tithe maybe you could drop a few bucks in my donation bucket? You can follow the link in my signature. It will take you to my personal page, I have a little write up there about why I walk and how long I've done it. I'm happy (and proud) to say that in four years I've raised almost $13,400!
__________________
Victoria
~Made of awesome
~Bras For The Cause
sewsplendidstamper is online now  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 07:42 PM   #1625
Directionally Challenged Parrothead
 
muddy otter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: back to bobbing along in my kayak
Posts: 32,432
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by suber View Post
I so agree with what you said, Muddy Otter. I was a Christian for most of my life, until right-wing religion started turning me off on the whole subject. What thses people say and do is totally the opposite of the Jesus I believed in. So many of these churches teach that people are wicked. If that is so, then you can't love and respect them, can you. They also jump all over you for having doubts and questions. I've heard and seen this happen. That, to me, sounds like fear,"What if I'm wrong about all this?". I may be wrong, but that's how I see it. And it's very good to have a place to express these things.
Thank you Suber.

That's the part of religion that's left me very spiritually skittish about church. It's funny because for me going to church has very much been... I don't know, like that moment on Mother's Day or Father's Day that you make that formal, very joyful acknowledgement that you love them. If you're not living it, you're just going through the motions, but if you feel that love and want to live up to all it calls from you, it's a joy to go and be part of that celebration.

I guess I just feel as though the turn to the right replaced the kindness of those weekly celebration and an openness to grace and joy got pushed out of the center of the house and this endless list of rules posted: if you do this or that, or even think this and that, you're not welcome here. I guess I feel as though I've shown up but the whole house has been taken over by very bad-tempered space aliens.

It would mean a lot to find a church that felt like home again.

In any case, I look at people who don't believe and respect the degree of certainty so many people seem to find that. I guess I don't have doubts, I have beliefs, but no place to take them out to dinner, if that makes any sense.
__________________
Jane
God sent angels down to earth in the form of dogs with notes saying 'don't judge, just love.' They ate the notes but keep trying to deliver the message. --Rover99.com
muddy otter is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 10:33 PM   #1626
Mad Swapper
 
nickelini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 1,750
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily55 View Post
Not familiar with him. It seems to me he could have used a lot less words. He basically expands on Dawkins argument in The God Delusion.
Oh, but he's so much better looking than Dawkins! (who is often also way too grouchy for me).

(Anyway, check out some of his other videos, he has some good ones at his channel on YouTube).
__________________
~ Children nowadays are tyrants. They contradict their parents, gobble their food and tyrannize their teachers ~
(attributed to Socrates 470-399 BC)

View My Gallery
nickelini is online now  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 02:17 AM   #1627
Insane Embellisher
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Formerly Upstate New York, now Rome GA
Posts: 889
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLaFontaine View Post
No, not all of us. Only women of child-bearing age (who don't want children) will be in danger since they won't have any more access to contraception, sterilization, or abortion. Men, young infertile women, and women in or past the age of menopause will be safe. Oh, I forgot the gays. Gays and lesbians, etc. will also not be safe, since there will no longer be any anti-discrimination laws, hate-crime laws, or anti-bullying laws. Um, by "American Taliban" I'm assuming you mean far right fundamentalist Christians, and not extremist Muslims...
Oh, Yeah! I can SEE this coming if we (as voters) are not careful.
LindaBabe is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 09:09 AM   #1628
Embossing Fanatic
 
lilactime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 65
Default Food for Thought

Hi Wrose,

You are so articulate and I appreciate the result.

Here is an article that I think our group might enjoy reading/discussing. A little food for thought.

Cheers!

Lilactime

The New Theism: Shedding Beliefs, Celebrating Knowledge
lilactime is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 01:43 PM   #1629
Hardware Hotshot
 
parkes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 4,087
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilactime View Post

Here is an article that I think our group might enjoy reading/discussing. A little food for thought.

Cheers!

Lilactime

The New Theism: Shedding Beliefs, Celebrating Knowledge
This is very encouraging. I am pleased to see the emergence of a belief system which has science and the scientific method as the basis of understanding the world.
Stephanie
__________________
To live a creative life, we must lose our fear of being wrong. Joseph Chilton Pearce
my gallery
parkes is online now  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 06:36 PM   #1630
Pearl-ExPert
 
tigerlily55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 2,657
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilactime View Post
Hi Wrose,

You are so articulate and I appreciate the result.

Here is an article that I think our group might enjoy reading/discussing. A little food for thought.

Cheers!

Lilactime

The New Theism: Shedding Beliefs, Celebrating Knowledge
I think in his desire to accommodate both sides he gets really murky about what this all means. He is a preacher. I still don't get all the fluffy words. Either you believe somebody made or is controlling the universe or you don't. Earth friendliness aside, why do we need New Theism? We already have secular humanism.

Some other thoughts on Dowd. Here and Here(scroll down to book review)
__________________
Martha
Go Pack Go!
tigerlily55 is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 10:12 PM   #1631
This reminds me of a Star Trek episode....
 
Stampin Wrose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Aboard the Enterprise, watching NCIS reruns!
Posts: 99,972
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewsplendidstamper View Post
Yeah so I know it isn't very atheistic of me but every year I walk in the Avon Walk for Breast Cancer. It's 25 days away. I figure since none of you tithe maybe you could drop a few bucks in my donation bucket? You can follow the link in my signature. It will take you to my personal page, I have a little write up there about why I walk and how long I've done it. I'm happy (and proud) to say that in four years I've raised almost $13,400!
And you are awesome. Silly amoral atheist. lol
__________________
Kathy Wrose

"Fun must be always." - Tomas Hertl, San Jose Sharks
Stampin Wrose is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 03:23 PM   #1632
Insane Embellisher
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Formerly Upstate New York, now Rome GA
Posts: 889
Default

So, the other day, after reading Wheat Belly, I decided to go wheat free. Like everything else that's a new discovery for me, I start searching the internet for information, recipes, articles etc.

I was somewhat surprised to find that a LOT of what I found was Christian based blogs. Is healthy eating a religious thing? I thought -- if I read one more "if your husband isn't on board with your new way of meal planning . . . yield to him and pray . . ." I *would* throw up. Can I just have the food discussion please, without the 'side' of religion???
LindaBabe is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 04:50 PM   #1633
This reminds me of a Star Trek episode....
 
Stampin Wrose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Aboard the Enterprise, watching NCIS reruns!
Posts: 99,972
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaBabe View Post
So, the other day, after reading Wheat Belly, I decided to go wheat free. Like everything else that's a new discovery for me, I start searching the internet for information, recipes, articles etc.

I was somewhat surprised to find that a LOT of what I found was Christian based blogs. Is healthy eating a religious thing? I thought -- if I read one more "if your husband isn't on board with your new way of meal planning . . . yield to him and pray . . ." I *would* throw up. Can I just have the food discussion please, without the 'side' of religion???
That's pretty amazing. I didn't know....
__________________
Kathy Wrose

"Fun must be always." - Tomas Hertl, San Jose Sharks
Stampin Wrose is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 05:00 PM   #1634
Stazon Splitcoast
 
SophieLaFontaine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: my heart remains in France
Posts: 19,219
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaBabe View Post
So, the other day, after reading Wheat Belly, I decided to go wheat free. Like everything else that's a new discovery for me, I start searching the internet for information, recipes, articles etc.

I was somewhat surprised to find that a LOT of what I found was Christian based blogs. Is healthy eating a religious thing? I thought -- if I read one more "if your husband isn't on board with your new way of meal planning . . . yield to him and pray . . ." I *would* throw up. Can I just have the food discussion please, without the 'side' of religion???
A friend of mine went on a Vi-salis (spelling?) diet. I went online and kept trying to find out if it was legitimate or an unhealthy scam. Some anti-Vi-salis blogs were very clearly Christian in exhorting their readers not to put such garbage into their bodies, citing scripture and everything. However, many of the pro-Vi-salis comments after such blogs ALSO invoked God to attack the blog posts.

I was a little surprised that religion entered so deeply into it for some people. (I also decided that if my friend did not experience any headaches or migraines on this diet, that she'd be fine).
__________________
Faites l'amour, pas la guerre, ...ou alors, faites les deux : mariez vous !
Cards for troops and kids
SophieLaFontaine is online now  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 04:37 AM   #1635
Embossing Fanatic
 
lilactime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 65
Default

God as weapon, hmmmmm.
No sides here, just asides.
I have been investigating the possibility of going on the Wheat Belly Diet. There are three different books on the subject in our library, including a recipe book.
A nurse friend whose opinion I value has explored this extensively and decided that it was unhealthy.
Some of her comments: "Re the books. The one I have is called "Lose the wheat, Lose the weight" by William Davis MD.
Another book, "Wheat Belly" is by the same author and according to reports from Google has had the thumbs down from Canadian readers. I tend to think that one is a rehash of the other and the theories have quite a bit of opposition as most radical diets do when the nutritionists step in. So much academic content in the book that most people would be uphill understanding it, including me!"

The ad on the internet where the author is flogging his books certainly reminds me of "As Seen on TV" sales pitches, including free gifts!
My gut tells me that any diet that advocates extremes (eat mostly protein, no wheat etc, is not a good plan).
My hope is to find a healthy diet with minimum or no processed foods that won't make be a nuissance as a guest, that I can go on for life, otherwise it seems that people just pack it back on when the diet ends.
Let us know what you end up deciding.
I will think for you ;o)
Lilactime
lilactime is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 09:39 PM   #1636
This reminds me of a Star Trek episode....
 
Stampin Wrose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Aboard the Enterprise, watching NCIS reruns!
Posts: 99,972
Default

I lost my 75 pounds on WW. It's healthy and doctors are always good with it. I don't mean to be a shill for WW, because I don't work there or anything, but I went with it because it's flexible. We eat out a lot and I wanted to be able to do that and still lose weight and keep it off. But it's also good, probably even easier, if you love to cook at home. You can really do well if you eat healthy non processed foods for the most part.

It's still work, as I can't eat whatever I want when I want. They do emphasize exercise a lot more than they used to. They've tweaked a lot of little things, you no longer are compelled to drink enough water to sink a submarine. That was always hard for me (can you tell?). Sure water is still great, but almost any liquid counts. Coffee, tea, diet coke, yes with caffeine, all count. WW is generally slow to change compared to fad diets but they do follow the research and it has been found that it doesn't have to be water.

But if you don't want to pay for WW, basically the main thing is portion control. I still weigh my cereal every morning.
__________________
Kathy Wrose

"Fun must be always." - Tomas Hertl, San Jose Sharks
Stampin Wrose is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 09:43 PM   #1637
This reminds me of a Star Trek episode....
 
Stampin Wrose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Aboard the Enterprise, watching NCIS reruns!
Posts: 99,972
Default

The other evening, a pretty bad movie, "The Mist," was on TV and DH left it on. One of the characters was a Christian. When the people were holed up in the grocery store while monsters were in the mist, she started preaching about how it was fulfilling the OT etc. etc. Okay, fine. But they really harped on this character, and I really ended up feeling bad for some of the Christians I know because of how this character was portrayed - she was a crazy OT fundie, and just over the wall nuts. And she got way too much screen time. (I did say it was a bad movie.)
__________________
Kathy Wrose

"Fun must be always." - Tomas Hertl, San Jose Sharks
Stampin Wrose is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 11:04 PM   #1638
Stazon Splitcoast
 
SophieLaFontaine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: my heart remains in France
Posts: 19,219
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stampin Wrose View Post
she started preaching about how it was fulfilling the OT etc. etc.
I had an argument/debate with a co-worker. He was saying stuff about predictions from the Old Testament and Revelations. It was my personal theory that ANY prediction, if there is no time limit on it, and if it is general and cryptic enough, it will eventually come true, or at least NOT be proven false (one could always say it hadn't come true YET). I said that I could make up a whole bunch of predictions (with no set date as to their occurrence) as well, and claim to be a prophet.

There will always be those people who take predictions and events and say "well, THIS was obviously referring to THAT in the prediction; therefore it is true". And if there is not even one remotely "matching" event in all of our history, then it simply hasn't come true yet.
__________________
Faites l'amour, pas la guerre, ...ou alors, faites les deux : mariez vous !
Cards for troops and kids
SophieLaFontaine is online now  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 11:50 PM   #1639
This reminds me of a Star Trek episode....
 
Stampin Wrose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Aboard the Enterprise, watching NCIS reruns!
Posts: 99,972
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLaFontaine View Post
I had an argument/debate with a co-worker. He was saying stuff about predictions from the Old Testament and Revelations. It was my personal theory that ANY prediction, if there is no time limit on it, and if it is general and cryptic enough, it will eventually come true, or at least NOT be proven false (one could always say it hadn't come true YET). I said that I could make up a whole bunch of predictions (with no set date as to their occurrence) as well, and claim to be a prophet.

There will always be those people who take predictions and events and say "well, THIS was obviously referring to THAT in the prediction; therefore it is true". And if there is not even one remotely "matching" event in all of our history, then it simply hasn't come true yet.
Yep. People with no critical thinking skills - we humans have evolved to see patterns. We see faces in everything, even the moon.


But you probably can't mention evolution to these people either.
__________________
Kathy Wrose

"Fun must be always." - Tomas Hertl, San Jose Sharks
Stampin Wrose is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 02:44 AM   #1640
Mad Swapper
 
cerridwen3301's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: on the edge
Posts: 1,994
Default

AAAARRRRGH!!! hahahha! i had forgotten all about this group but this is where i should have been! if i hear one more preachy fundamentalist christian spouting of bible crap i might go lay in traffic!!!!

can you tell i have had enough? why is it freakin' everywhere and WHY do i need to be concerned about expressing my opinion? if they can express theirs why can't i express mine?

*breathe*

i know lots of practicing christians might be good people but i tell you i can't see ANY of jesus's teachings in the loudest ones. since when were intolerance & hypocrisy christian values??? i am hoping it will slow down after the election but wow. scares the daylights out of me that some of these people are and could be in government positions and in control of our world. i don't see them as any better than the guys who crashed the planes on 9/11.

i don't care what they believe i just want them to quit trying to push it onto everyone else!

ok back to work for me i just really neeeded to connect with some folks who think like i do!
__________________
my blog: http://pezadoodle.blogspot.com
cerridwen3301 is online now  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Reply





Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off