Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree156Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2010, 07:20 AM   #121
Stazon Splitcoast

I spoke to my witch co-worker a bit more. I think most of what he says can be summed up by natural human behaviour. For example, he said he doesn't believe in harming animals - well, who does? I asked him if he killed insects and he said no. I asked if he saw a cockroach in his house, what would he do. He said he'd kill it, but he wouldn't go outdoors just looking to kill insects for the heck of it. Well, who does?

Also, he said that some charms that he does can influence one or two people, but can't change a ton of people. Well, that's just like any usual person - can influence one or two people but probably can't influence an entire group of people.

He also said he can see auras, and that he could see mine. I asked what colour it was, and he said the lighting was too bright for him to tell what colour it was.

He also said the Pentagram was actually a sign of the human race and a symbol of protection. Also he drew two other symbols and said those belonged to other races; one of which was called the Elders and the other was called the Watchers. I asked him where'd he'd learned all of this, and he said from "The Book of the Dead". I asked who the author was, and he said there isn't one.

At this point I was thinking he was just as nutso as my parents who believe in God and Jesus being in their hearts and who also believe that their prayers actually have power (like this guy and his charms and spells), but he's very nice and I like him so I didn't say anything. Also, he was very nice to answer all the questions I had asked.

No flames please - I accept that I might be the one who's nutso instead of him or my parents.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 02-16-2010, 07:24 AM   #122
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by bksjones View Post
Do you remember that movie, Supersize Me? That guy had a show on FX called 30 Days where people spend a month with other people who have a belief or lifystyle that is different from theirs. They are really fascinating, and DH and I watched some of the first season episodes (the minimum wage one is heartbreaking).

Well, I am developing a pretty strong Hulu addiction and I found that they have the entire series, and that there was an episode where an atheist spent a month with a christian family. The episode is really interesting, and I found myself talking to the computer several times during the show. The episode is 45 minutes and you do have to have a username because it is for mature audiences (I'm not sure why), but it is really interesting if you have the time to watch it.

You can find it here
http://www.hulu.com/watch/56912/30-d...heistchristian
I love Hulu! It's where I watch the Office every week.

On the 30 Days show I think the only one I am allowed to watch (don't want to give them my real last name) this anti-illegal-immigration guy lived with an actual illegal immigrant family!!! He came to like them a lot. He was still anti-illegal-immigration, but did say that if the daughter of that family got paperwork to be here legally, he'd sponsor her. He also visited the spot in Mexico that they came from, and was taken aback by the horrific living conditions there (their drinking water was just from a dirty pond for example).
Old 02-16-2010, 09:58 AM   #123
Kookie Creator

Hello again all,

It's been awhile. Just wanted to get subscribed to the new thread.

Oh and.....I am very seriously thinking of going to the CHA Supershow in Chicago this summer. Anyone else going? Thinking of going? If so, would love to meet up with some like-minded crafty people
Old 02-17-2010, 03:47 PM   #124
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLaFontaine View Post
At this point I was thinking he was just as nutso as my parents who believe in God and Jesus being in their hearts and who also believe that their prayers actually have power (like this guy and his charms and spells), but he's very nice and I like him so I didn't say anything. Also, he was very nice to answer all the questions I had asked.
Thanks, Sophie. I actually laughed out loud at this statement. I have that thought so often about so many people, many of whom I love dearly. It just amazes what some people believe.

Did you tell you all that my uncles (who I talked about earlier--spirit guides and all that) think that I was Mary Queen of Scotts in a former life? My dad was John the Baptist, I believe one aunt who was Marie Antoinette. Must be some strange karma in my family to have so many of us lose our heads. Uh oh...have I revealed too much again?

Last edited by bksjones; 02-17-2010 at 03:53 PM.. Reason: making a d an s
Old 02-17-2010, 03:52 PM   #125
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
I love Hulu! It's where I watch the Office every week.

On the 30 Days show I think the only one I am allowed to watch (don't want to give them my real last name) this anti-illegal-immigration guy lived with an actual illegal immigrant family!!! He came to like them a lot. He was still anti-illegal-immigration, but did say that if the daughter of that family got paperwork to be here legally, he'd sponsor her. He also visited the spot in Mexico that they came from, and was taken aback by the horrific living conditions there (their drinking water was just from a dirty pond for example).
I can't remember what I entered to sign up...could you tell them your last name was LaFontaine? I didn't register for a while, but then I found Dead Like Me, and I couldn't resist any longer. I've watched all of them, plus a few movies that I had to log in to see. I hope it remains a free service. My DH is still a bit skittish about me having an account. He has some issue about watching TV on the computer, but he doesn't know why. Silly.
Old 02-17-2010, 03:56 PM   #126
This reminds me of a Star Trek episode....

Quote:
Thanks, Sophie. I actually laughed out loud at this statement. I have that thought so often about so many people, many of whom I love dearly. It just amazes what some people believe.

Did you tell you all that my uncles (who I talked about earlier--spirit guides and all that) think that I was Mary Queen of Scotts in a former life? My dad was John the Baptist, I believe one aunt who was Marie Antoinette. Must be some strange karma in my family to have so many of us lose our heads. Uh oh...have I revealed too much again?
Isn't it funny how few people were just ordinary people???

"Fun must be always." - Tomas Hertl, San Jose Sharks
Old 02-18-2010, 05:00 AM   #127
Stampin' Fool

I'm going to have a big hole in my tongue if I keep biting it. It's all I can do sometimes, because questioning my family on some items is near impossible. My aunt sent out another chain email saying we all need to pray to God to "guide someone to find a cure for cancer." And I though, hey, if the dude's omnipotent and all, can't he just take out cancer on his own?

So God has known all along this particular doc would be able to cure cancer since before the doc was conceived? (I knew you before I formed you in the womb? / predestination) So the hundreds of thousands, or however many people died from, were afflicted with or affected by cancer before this Doc was conceived until he discovers a cure, were what?
If God knew everything about the doc, then didn't God know the answer to cancer? Is this where we are just to suppose to have faith and not question "the Plan"? or is this where the "we have free will" comes in? or the part where we just accept that we can't/aren't supposed to understand God's will?
It makes no sense to me at all.
Old 02-18-2010, 05:37 AM   #128
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by frosted_gorilla View Post
I'm going to have a big hole in my tongue if I keep biting it. It's all I can do sometimes, because questioning my family on some items is near impossible. My aunt sent out another chain email saying we all need to pray to God to "guide someone to find a cure for cancer." And I though, hey, if the dude's omnipotent and all, can't he just take out cancer on his own?

So God has known all along this particular doc would be able to cure cancer since before the doc was conceived? (I knew you before I formed you in the womb? / predestination) So the hundreds of thousands, or however many people died from, were afflicted with or affected by cancer before this Doc was conceived until he discovers a cure, were what?
If God knew everything about the doc, then didn't God know the answer to cancer? Is this where we are just to suppose to have faith and not question "the Plan"? or is this where the "we have free will" comes in? or the part where we just accept that we can't/aren't supposed to understand God's will?
Oh, there you go being all logical and sensible, Lol!

I haven't been visiting SCS too much lately but I do like to visit this thread!
Old 02-18-2010, 06:42 AM   #129
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
I can't remember what I entered to sign up...could you tell them your last name was LaFontaine? I didn't register for a while, but then I found Dead Like Me, and I couldn't resist any longer. I've watched all of them, plus a few movies that I had to log in to see. I hope it remains a free service. My DH is still a bit skittish about me having an account. He has some issue about watching TV on the computer, but he doesn't know why. Silly.
Well...I could, but since it isn't really my last name, it would violate their Terms and Conditions. I read the fine print to see if I HAD to enter a real name. I hope it remains a free service too!! I think it will, 'cause of the ads that are on there before the episodes and during the programmed commercial breaks.
Old 02-18-2010, 06:52 AM   #130
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

My husband loves reading English history so he knows a lot about Mary Queen of Scotts!

You were royalty - how 'bout you think of it like that? *grin* Your family was either royalty or very influential (like John the Baptist).
Old 02-18-2010, 06:59 AM   #131
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Makes no sense to me either.

I always throw the "free will" thing back at my mom when she says that she prays for me to become a Christian. As long as I have free will (that her God gave me), I won't, and I say that that IS God's answer to her prayer; a big NO.

Also whenever she says anything like "thank God for our health (or whatever)", then I think what about people who DON'T have health?? Do they thank God for their crappy health?? Well, of course not, but they still pray to this God (who did NOT give/bless them with good health) to help them get through it. I sooooooooo do not understand.

And about God taking out cancer on his own, I read a quote when I was a kid: the only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing. Well, if God's real, that's basically what I think he's doing - nothing.
Old 02-18-2010, 12:53 PM   #132
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Well...I could, but since it isn't really my last name, it would violate their Terms and Conditions.
I knew it wasn't--that's why I asked. Is it wrong that I keep thinking, "how would they know? Just say it's Jones."? It's not like you're stealing it.
Old 02-18-2010, 06:32 PM   #133
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
I knew it wasn't--that's why I asked. Is it wrong that I keep thinking, "how would they know? Just say it's Jones."? It's not like you're stealing it.
How would they know? Well *chuckle* they could always read this thread...

Nah, I don't feel comfortable doing that. I have enough secrets to keep track of.
Old 02-18-2010, 08:02 PM   #134

Quote:
How would they know? Well *chuckle* they could always read this thread...

Nah, I don't feel comfortable doing that. I have enough secrets to keep track of.
Geez, you have morals and don't believe in God? How is that possible?

Old 02-18-2010, 08:41 PM   #135
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stampin Wrose View Post
Geez, you have morals and don't believe in God? How is that possible?

No no *shocked look* Don't go spreading that around!! I've worked very hard to get a reputation for not having any morals!
Old 02-19-2010, 10:32 AM   #136
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Also whenever she says anything like "thank God for our health (or whatever)", then I think what about people who DON'T have health?? Do they thank God for their crappy health?? Well, of course not, but they still pray to this God (who did NOT give/bless them with good health) to help them get through it. I sooooooooo do not understand.

And about God taking out cancer on his own, I read a quote when I was a kid: the only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing. Well, if God's real, that's basically what I think he's doing - nothing.
Hey Sophie and everyone,
What really gets me is that I have a "friend" and every Holiday letter I get, she says that God has blessed her family that they have been kept healthy. Hmmm...why is her family any better in God's eyes than mine. We have been crapped on. So does her God have a master plan that some children are supposed to be raed, abused and killed? Nope, I don't think so. Is his plan that bad people live a healthy life and the good peope suffer?

I think it is just plain bad luck and God has nothing at all to do with anythig.

When you get in a tight place and everything goes against you, till it seems as though you could not hold on a minute longer, never give up then, for that is just the place and time that the tide will turn. -- Harriet Beecher Stowe
Old 02-19-2010, 10:47 AM   #137
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samantha View Post
Hey Sophie and everyone,
What really gets me is that I have a "friend" and every Holiday letter I get, she says that God has blessed her family that they have been kept healthy. Hmmm...why is her family any better in God's eyes than mine. We have been crapped on. So does her God have a master plan that some children are supposed to be raed, abused and killed? Nope, I don't think so. Is his plan that bad people live a healthy life and the good peope suffer?

I think it is just plain bad luck and God has nothing at all to do with anythig.
I remember this about your "friend"!

I totally agree about it being just plain bad luck!!!!!!!!
Old 02-19-2010, 12:14 PM   #138
Stampin' Fool

Quote:
Hey Sophie and everyone,

I just went through the condolence cards and notes from my mom's death 30+ years ago (dad recently unearthed them). I have always thought of her accident as an accident - a random tragedy that happened to affect our family. I have been told it was because of God.
In one of the condolence cards, someone wrote that "Sometimes, God needs to call one of his angels home, unfortunately, this time it was one of yours."
And my first thought was, "well that was mighty selfish of Him." I mean, we could have put mom to better use than cloud hopping and harp-plucking.
Old 02-27-2010, 12:00 AM   #139
Glitter Guru

An interesting post about the Obama adminstration's meeting with some non-theist organizations:
http://friendlyatheist.com/2010/02/2...dministration/

edited to add - I'm not sure why all my posts have thumbs down right now - I've updated my internet security and I have several barriers to posting, and it seems like one of them is automatically adding the thumbs down icon to my SCS posts without my participation...

Last edited by AlysonRR; 02-27-2010 at 04:13 AM..
Old 02-27-2010, 05:13 AM   #140
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlysonRR View Post
An interesting post about the Obama adminstration's meeting with some non-theist organizations:
http://friendlyatheist.com/2010/02/2...dministration/

edited to add - I'm not sure why all my posts have thumbs down right now - I've updated my internet security and I have several barriers to posting, and it seems like one of them is automatically adding the thumbs down icon to my SCS posts without my participation...
I like the friendly atheist. I really like his advice columns. For such a young guy he is really insightful in his responses.

Maybe you should put a post in the site improvements forum so they can address your thumbs down issue?
Old 02-27-2010, 05:42 AM   #141
Directionally Challenged Parrothead

Quote:
Hey Sophie and everyone,

Um... and is God just super-impressed by her sensitivity in firing this note off to someone who's had an incredibly tough battle with cancer? Nice.

It's funny because I've always loved the St Francis quote Alyson shared with me: 'Preach the gospel at all times. When necessary, use words.' Someone who would do that to you, Sammie, just preached that they believe their religion entitles them to rub their good fortune in the nose of someone who doesn't share it. If that truly embodies the humility and compassion Jesus preached, well, I wish people would quit asking why I feel so much fellowship with agnostics and doubters.

I do very deeply appreciate that you all tolerate me so warmly.

I have to say that I have an incredibly hard time with people who'd say things like this, Sammie, but if they themselves suffered misfortune, as Wrose noted, they'd undoubtedly gloat that God picked them for this to bring them closer to Him. It's not the closeness to God or the gratitude for the good things in their lives or the prayer in difficult times that disturbs me, but the smugness about boasting about how everything becomes a sign of how special and righteous they are for believing so much.

Sigh. I wonder when dressing nicely and not complaining while you fast, or doing good deeds quietly went out of style. I know it hasn't for many believers but the ones who seem to feel not only entitled to boast, but who consider it some essential part of 'witnessing' make me very sad and discouraged about religion.
Old 03-05-2010, 08:44 AM   #142
Pearl-ExPert

Christopher Hitchens revises the 10 Commandments HERE.

Not a bad rewrite.
Old 03-05-2010, 09:52 AM   #143
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily55 View Post
Christopher Hitchens revises the 10 Commandments HERE.

Not a bad rewrite.
That was fun to read! Did you see the link to Amazon on his site? I'll go to Amazon through his site from now on, unless SCS does another "support our site"-Amazon thing again like they did during Christmas...
Old 03-06-2010, 08:42 PM   #144
Polyshrink Goddess

Red face Late to the prom

I recently saw the Hitchens video on his comments/remake of the ten commandants and realized I hadn’t heard anything from this thread in months. My first thought was Wrose must have ran off with Santa and the thread had shut down in protest. Second thought was there must be some fantastic new religion/cult that had won you all over. I finally went looking and was happy to discover I was wrong on both counts! Just me late to the prom as usual!

I’m looking forward to getting caught up with where everyone’s at.
Old 03-06-2010, 08:55 PM   #145

Still hanging out with Santa.

DD is going to school and working, DS is getting ready to go to Univ. in the fall. Stamping, did valentines, St. Pat's, and have been working on next year's Christmas cards. You know those felt snowflakes SU! had last year? Well I could never figure out what to do with the large snowflakes, but finally came up with a card. Used those things up. ha ha ha

Old 03-12-2010, 10:44 AM   #146
Polyshrink Goddess

Default Update

My son and DIL left the day after Thanksgiving to travel to the Ukraine to adopt a little girl. They made it back home on Christmas day (w/ said new daughter) in time for dinner w/ the rest of the family. Now, granted, that is pretty amazing – they didn't even miss a holiday at home. But they give credit for the success and relative ease of their journey to god and prayer. Hmmm, I'm going w/ careful planning, dogged persistence, knowledgeable people helping them, and me paying the change fee for the return airline tickets
Old 03-12-2010, 10:08 PM   #147

Why didn't you let god pay the change fee?

Old 03-12-2010, 10:16 PM   #148
Polyshrink Goddess

HA! I know! But above all, I love my family. (and Santa!)
Old 03-13-2010, 05:56 AM   #149
Stazon Splitcoast

How is the new baby girl? What is her name? Did your son and daughter-in-law get to name her? Or did she already have a name? Anyway, glad everything went okay, even if you had to shell out the change fee (instead of God). *grin*
Old 03-13-2010, 09:50 AM   #150
Stampin' Fool

In today's newspaper: "Devotees of a Miami man who claims to practice a traditional African religion said they were sickened when they drank the mucus of a giant African snail."

EWWWWW. So glad I don't go to church with that guy! When is drinking snail slime ever a good idea?
Old 03-13-2010, 10:14 AM   #151
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
In today's newspaper: "Devotees of a Miami man who claims to practice a traditional African religion said they were sickened when they drank the mucus of a giant African snail."

EWWWWW. So glad I don't go to church with that guy! When is drinking snail slime ever a good idea?
Oh gosh, I googled this to make sure it wasn't from the Enquirer or something like that!!
Old 03-13-2010, 10:09 PM   #152
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Seriously, this needed a warning! I actually gagged when I read it. How 'devoted' (read brainwashed) do you have to be to drink the mucus of anything???
Old 03-13-2010, 10:57 PM   #153
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
How is the new baby girl? What is her name? Did your son and daughter-in-law get to name her? Or did she already have a name? Anyway, glad everything went okay, even if you had to shell out the change fee (instead of God). *grin*
Anastasia is her ‘given’ name. She’s going to be 5 at the end of this month and had been in the orphanage since birth so I’m not sure who named her. We call her Ana. She is a delightful, loving little girl and has adjusted extremely well. A stranger viewing the family would not be able to pick out the adopted child. Those of you who read my posts from last year know that my issue was not with adoption or adoption of special needs, it was with the basis of the adoption – god told them. Ug. If there is some ‘supreme being’ why would he/she allow children to be tossed away, left to emotional neglect and physical/sexual abuse? Some have actually said ‘god’ had Ana waiting for my son and DIL – really? What possible sense does that make??? That a child would be in those conditions for almost 5 years with the ‘divine plan’ of someone adopting her? That’s crazy. I’m just enjoying my newest granddaughter and the joy she brings to our family.
Old 03-13-2010, 11:59 PM   #154

The easy explanation is that no matter what happened, they see it as God's Will.

It's a no-lose position.

I guess what amuses me is that so many people *know* God's will.

Old 03-14-2010, 03:06 AM   #155

Forgot about the time change. Basketball at 10 a.m. so in six hours.

Goodnight.

Old 03-14-2010, 06:45 AM   #156
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by virtualyvonne View Post
Anastasia is her ‘given’ name. She’s going to be 5 at the end of this month and had been in the orphanage since birth so I’m not sure who named her. We call her Ana. She is a delightful, loving little girl and has adjusted extremely well. A stranger viewing the family would not be able to pick out the adopted child.
Awwww. I'm glad she's doing well.

Quote:
Those of you who read my posts from last year know that my issue was not with adoption or adoption of special needs, it was with the basis of the adoption – god told them. Ug. If there is some ‘supreme being’ why would he/she allow children to be tossed away, left to emotional neglect and physical/sexual abuse? Some have actually said ‘god’ had Ana waiting for my son and DIL – really? What possible sense does that make??? That a child would be in those conditions for almost 5 years with the ‘divine plan’ of someone adopting her? That’s crazy. I’m just enjoying my newest granddaughter and the joy she brings to our family.

Yeah, that makes no sense. The stuff I hear out of some Christians' mouths make me think that at best, God is an incompetent fool with good intentions, and at worst, he is evil and intentionally malicious.
Old 03-18-2010, 01:31 PM   #157
Insane Embellisher

I'm new here; I just found the thread. Thought I'd introduce myself and tell you about my "spiritual journey," just as it is.

When I was young, I though I'd be a rabbi. I majored in philosophy and religion, and I went to a small liberal arts college in Pennsylvania that was affiliated with the United Church of Christ, so I did a fair bit of comparative religion. I fell in love and married an Irish Catholic boy from Boston who was educated for 8 years by nuns and 4 years by Jesuits. We both came from devout-ish families, and we were married by a Jesuit priest and a Reform rabbi in a beautiful ceremony that mixed parts of both faiths that were meaningful to us. We celebrated lots of holidays with both our families and exposed our son to enough of both faiths to allow him to make his own decisions. For a couple of years we attended a Unitarian Universalist church as a family.

Several years ago, it occurred to me to reflect that over thousands of years of human history, virtually every single culture has had a creation myth and a code of ethical behavior. What makes us so certain that the one we ascribe to -- the Judeo-Christian one -- is the only one that is "true?" We've all seen that ghastly bumper sticker -- God said it, I believe it, That settles it. Well, that *doesn't* settle it. That's how I became an atheist.

Penn Jillette, the taller and more talkative member of Penn and Teller, did an essay for This I Believe a couple of years ago in which he laid out his core philosophy that people should be good because they are good people, not because of fear of some god or some eternal punishment. I think he's right. Thanks for reading this far.
Old 03-18-2010, 01:33 PM   #158
neglecting the kids and housework

Love it Carol. Welcome

Hey everyone I'm still reading but not posting much. You all talk about religion too darn mush
Old 03-18-2010, 01:35 PM   #159

Oh and Carol, I never believed in God. I mean I was in second grade saying the pledge of allegiance and thinking "one God? wow don't we things we're special."
Old 03-18-2010, 01:39 PM   #160

Ok so I'm reconnecting (thanks FB!)with some cousins that I was very close to when I was little. And I have to say the God is GOOD spiel is getting to be too much. One cousin had a kid out of wedlock, then married another guy, had three kids, he's in jail, she divorced him, they had both had drug issues early on and she's a grandmother in her early 40s, course her oldest is going to Tulane next fall so good things too.

Well I'm chatting with her and she mentions she sells Avon because we were talking about my participation in the Avon Walk. She has been doing it to keep her head up as a second job since she doesnt' get child support and she says God is GOOD! Um what about just you working hard and being responsible to get as many jobs as it takes to support your family? How is God in any way helping?