Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree168Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2012, 08:05 PM   #1521
This reminds me of a Star Trek episode....

Wow. That's horrible. And nothing like the "God is Love" that I learned about way back in my late teens. How do some people get so hateful in the name of a God that many see as a God of Love??? Sad.

"Fun must be always." - Tomas Hertl, San Jose Sharks
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 05-23-2012, 12:11 PM   #1522
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by raquelita_uno View Post
Charles Worley, North Carolina pastor, faces backlash, outrage over call for gays to be put behind electric fence

This story and video is so very disturbing and such an abuse of power in the name of God. Horrendous! It makes me so glad to be able to follow my own sense of right and wrong and not have to rely on a "messenger" to tell me what to think. Not only were the Pastor's words inflamatory and disgusting, but he may have broken the law.

From a Huffington Post article

The New Civil Rights Movement's David Badash also noted, "Like all churches, Pastor Worley’s Providence Road Baptist Church doesn’t pay taxes. And by advocating for a specific political candidate he could (and should) lose his tax-exempt status."
Hear hear! Praise God in His infinite wisdom, for having appointed a man of such greatness to lead His flock. "I ain't gonna vote for no baby killer and a homosexual lover!" LOL
Oh, sorry, I couldn't help myself. I giggled through the whole soundbite of that part of his sermon, imagining my mom's and sister's (and her family's and her in-laws') delight at his words.
Maybe it's the mood I'm in, but it IS kind of refreshing to hear what people REALLY TRULY think instead of hearing idiocies like "hate the sin, love the sinner". Yeah, gimme a break. I've ALWAYS secretly thought they meant "hate the sin, hate the sinner" when the "sinner" is a homosexual.
My seven-year-old nephew has referred to Obama many times as a "baby killer", and on my last visit, looked shocked when he asked me who I was voting for and I proudly and unapologetically said "Obama".
Old 05-23-2012, 12:13 PM   #1523
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stampin Wrose View Post
Wow. That's horrible. And nothing like the "God is Love" that I learned about way back in my late teens. How do some people get so hateful in the name of a God that many see as a God of Love??? Sad.
God is Love only if you're a heterosexual male.
Old 05-24-2012, 09:26 AM   #1524
Crimping Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLaFontaine View Post
My seven-year-old nephew has referred to Obama many times as a "baby killer"
SEVEN year old? Don't take this personally but I would hate to meet the parents of a seven year old who calls ANYONE a baby killer.
Old 05-24-2012, 11:55 AM   #1525
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraftyMel2 View Post
SEVEN year old? Don't take this personally but I would hate to meet the parents of a seven year old who calls ANYONE a baby killer.
Oh, he's seven now, and quite articulate. But this started when he was four - in his baby voice to me: "Did you know that Obama kills babies?"

His parents are nice people; his mom is my sister. Their world view is just... different from mine. Uh, vastly different. They believe the earth is only 6000 years old, and that humans existed alongside dinosaurs, and that global warming is a hoax, and that Obama was NOT born in the US. They believe that NO gays are EVER born gay (I know some aren't, but many ARE), and that certain contraception is a no-no because it prevents the implantation of a baby (fertilized egg). Oh, I have not yet ceased to be amazed. Every time I visit (about twice a year), I find something new to be amazed at. Two times ago, I was amazed to find that my nephew thought of the Confederates as the GOOD guys (he has this historical comic book about the Civil War) - though I know that is probably due more to the region that they live in, which is the South, and NOT due to religion.

His father is NOT a fan of the Yankees, and to my sister's great irritation, my nephew has picked up on this sentiment and hates the Yankees. While I was there, he started disparaging the Yankees, and my sister rebuked him sharply, saying "the Yankees were ALSO made in God's image!" The look on my nephew's face was priceless. I was amazed that this was still an issue over there. Or maybe it is just an issue in their family. I really dunno. I'm really oblivious.

No really, if you met them and everyone refrained from speaking of religion and politics, you'd probably think they were nice (normal) people. Even with their views, they ARE nice; they're just...uh, wacky. They're not violent or anything. AND, they never try to force their views on me, or initiate debates with me (I, on the other hand, sometimes start a debate with THEM). Every now and then my nephew can't help himself and tries to witness to me, but always my sister stops him cold and warns him to respect me by NOT witnessing to me. I really, REALLY appreciate that.
Old 05-24-2012, 02:34 PM   #1526
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily55 View Post
I didn't even want to watch the video. Way to be a Xtian, Pastor!
I've been away for a few weeks and I come back to find the contents of my brain spread across the last few pages! Have I told you lately how much I Love YOU Gals!!!?

PS. SophieLaFontaine, are you my long lost sis? My in-laws are related to your family.
Old 05-24-2012, 03:08 PM   #1527
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaBabe View Post

PS. SophieLaFontaine, are you my long lost sis? My in-laws are related to your family.
LOL For your sake, I hope we are not related!!
Old 05-24-2012, 03:15 PM   #1528

Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLaFontaine View Post
LOL For your sake, I hope we are not related!!
Okay now that made me laugh!!!!

Old 05-25-2012, 08:43 AM   #1529
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
Maybe it's the mood I'm in, but it IS kind of refreshing to hear what people REALLY TRULY think instead of hearing idiocies like "hate the sin, love the sinner". Yeah, gimme a break. I've ALWAYS secretly thought they meant "hate the sin, hate the sinner" when the "sinner" is a homosexual.
I don't like the phrase "hate the sin, love the sinner" because people frequently seem to use it as an excuse to be nasty. There is no love in their attitude.

If the Bible says that homosexuality is a sin or immoral, then the Bible is just wrong.

"Yet dawn is ever the hope of men." Aragorn in The Two Towers by JRR Tolkien
Old 05-25-2012, 09:12 AM   #1530
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnDoings View Post
I don't like the phrase "hate the sin, love the sinner" because people frequently seem to use it as an excuse to be nasty. There is no love in their attitude.

If the Bible says that homosexuality is a sin or immoral, then the Bible is just wrong.
I totally agree!!! I disagree vehemently with a great deal of what the Bible says!!! It is the only book I needed to read to turn away from Christianity.
Old 05-25-2012, 09:17 AM   #1531
neglecting the kids and housework

GOOD MORNING!

It's a glorious day lol

Ok ferreals tho it's pretty good. I've got kids at school, no morning job and coffee!
I as always read along here. You all make me feel like the dumbest nonbeliever out there but I'll deal
Old 05-25-2012, 09:24 AM   #1532
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by raquelita_uno View Post
Charles Worley, North Carolina pastor, faces backlash, outrage over call for gays to be put behind electric fence

This story and video is so very disturbing and such an abuse of power in the name of God. Horrendous! It makes me so glad to be able to follow my own sense of right and wrong and not have to rely on a "messenger" to tell me what to think. Not only were the Pastor's words inflamatory and disgusting, but he may have broken the law.

From a Huffington Post article

The New Civil Rights Movement's David Badash also noted, "Like all churches, Pastor Worley’s Providence Road Baptist Church doesn’t pay taxes. And by advocating for a specific political candidate he could (and should) lose his tax-exempt status."

Okay, I found this from the Human Rights Campaign:
NC Town Condemns Pastor
If you read the article, there's a link in the middle of it to a petition chastising Worley. I don't know how to link the petition directly here because when I click on the link, my personal information is already all filled in the fields (I'm on their email list).
I doubt the petition will have any effect.
Old 05-25-2012, 09:25 AM   #1533
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewsplendidstamper View Post
GOOD MORNING!

It's a glorious day lol

Ok ferreals tho it's pretty good. I've got kids at school, no morning job and coffee!
I as always read along here. You all make me feel like the dumbest nonbeliever out there but I'll deal
Good morning Victoria! I could use some coffee!
Old 05-25-2012, 09:28 AM   #1534

Come on over!
Old 05-26-2012, 04:31 AM   #1535
Embossing Fanatic

Wink

Hello All,
Thank you. Never expected to find this gem of a discussion on a hobby site, but what a treat!
Have been saving up things to post as I enjoyed your many intelligent and thought provoking insights.

In regard to what it says in the bible, did you know...
1. The Bible says:
• Slavery is acceptable. (Skeptic's Annotated Bible, n.d.).
• You should kill your child if he strikes you (Exod. 21:15).
• If you work on the Sabbath, you should be put to death(Exod. 35:2-3).
• If you curse, you should be stoned to death (Lev. 24:14-15).
• Happiness is smashing children upon the rocks (Psalms 137:9).
• Women should be subjugated by their husbands (1 Pet. 3:1-7).
References:
1. Brewster, Edwin Tenney. 1927. Creation: A history of non-evolutionary theories. Indianapolis: Bobbs-Merrill Company.
2. Skeptic's Annotated Bible. n.d. Slavery. SAB, Slavery and the Bible

What a pleasure it has been to read your thoughts.
I am an Ex-Catholic who didn’t gain many of your insights until later in my life. On the topic of questioning religion, some books that I have found useful: Two by Joseph Campbell - "Hero With A Thousand Faces", and "The Power of Myth" plus Dr. Robert Buckman's "Can You Be Good Without God". I also have enjoyed the writings of American Bishop Spong.
As an agnostic, I pretty much followed what Buckminster Fuller expressed when he said "I put a capital "N" on nature and make it my church. Eventually, as I dealt with the big ethical challenges of life , I felt the need to learn from others who had similar ethics and values. I actually found such a group. Everyone is equal, no dogma, run democratically, questioning is encouraged and as you grow and learn, you are welcome to change what you think and believe (I have evolved into an Atheist)! I became a Unitarian 20 years ago and it has been a true enrichment in my life. Since we do not , proselytize , this is just meant to inform you of the existence of this group – you can check it out for yourselves if you have a mind to.
I am also a Canadian and don't think we can afford to be too sure about our politicians as they have been heading in the frightening direction of putting our civil liberties in jeopardy. Our politics are getting dirtier all the time!

Think for us ;o)
lilactime
Old 05-26-2012, 08:59 AM   #1536
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilactime View Post
Hello All,
Thank you. Never expected to find this gem of a discussion on a hobby site, but what a treat!
Have been saving up things to post as I enjoyed your many intelligent and thought provoking insights.

In regard to what it says in the bible, did you know...
1. The Bible says:
• Slavery is acceptable. (Skeptic's Annotated Bible, n.d.).
• You should kill your child if he strikes you (Exod. 21:15).
• If you work on the Sabbath, you should be put to death(Exod. 35:2-3).
• If you curse, you should be stoned to death (Lev. 24:14-15).
• Happiness is smashing children upon the rocks (Psalms 137:9).
• Women should be subjugated by their husbands (1 Pet. 3:1-7).
References:
1. Brewster, Edwin Tenney. 1927. Creation: A history of non-evolutionary theories. Indianapolis: Bobbs-Merrill Company.
2. Skeptic's Annotated Bible. n.d. Slavery. SAB, Slavery and the Bible

What a pleasure it has been to read your thoughts.
I am an Ex-Catholic who didn’t gain many of your insights until later in my life. On the topic of questioning religion, some books that I have found useful: Two by Joseph Campbell - "Hero With A Thousand Faces", and "The Power of Myth" plus Dr. Robert Buckman's "Can You Be Good Without God". I also have enjoyed the writings of American Bishop Spong.
As an agnostic, I pretty much followed what Buckminster Fuller expressed when he said "I put a capital "N" on nature and make it my church. Eventually, as I dealt with the big ethical challenges of life , I felt the need to learn from others who had similar ethics and values. I actually found such a group. Everyone is equal, no dogma, run democratically, questioning is encouraged and as you grow and learn, you are welcome to change what you think and believe (I have evolved into an Atheist)! I became a Unitarian 20 years ago and it has been a true enrichment in my life. Since we do not , proselytize , this is just meant to inform you of the existence of this group – you can check it out for yourselves if you have a mind to.
I am also a Canadian and don't think we can afford to be too sure about our politicians as they have been heading in the frightening direction of putting our civil liberties in jeopardy. Our politics are getting dirtier all the time!

Think for us ;o)
lilactime
Welcome, lilactime,

I enjoy reading this thread, although I don't post too often. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

I don't attend/belong to anything organized these days, but years back our family attended the local Unitarian Church and enjoyed the fellowship.

I've always loved a saying I heard: "A Unitarian addresses their prayers "To Whom It May Concern."

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Old 05-26-2012, 10:57 AM   #1537
Compulsive Stamper

I enjoyed reading your post, lilactime. IF, and it's a big if, I ever go back to church, it will be Unitarian. I wonder how the people who claim the bible is inerrant explain some of what it says. Maybe that explains the ugliness and lack of love some show. Where I live is very "conservitive" and I hear and read so much ( lettErs to the editor in the local paper) oh my. I just keep my mouth shut.
Old 05-26-2012, 12:30 PM   #1538

Welcome, lilactime! You sound like me, raised Catholic, de-converting (?) to atheism late in life. I remember when I said to my DD, "I think I'm an atheist!" and she looked at me for a minute, and said, "That's not something one usually hears from their 55 year old mom."

Old 05-26-2012, 12:42 PM   #1539
Die Cut Diva

Hi lilactime and welcome from New Zealand. We athiests come from all over! I'm glad you have found our thread.
Stephanie
Old 05-26-2012, 12:42 PM   #1540
Insane Embellisher

Sophie, I would be honored to be related to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suber View Post
I enjoyed reading your post, lilactime. IF, and it's a big if, I ever go back to church, it will be Unitarian. I wonder how the people who claim the bible is inerrant explain some of what it says. Maybe that explains the ugliness and lack of love some show. Where I live is very "conservitive" and I hear and read so much ( lettErs to the editor in the local paper) oh my. I just keep my mouth shut.
THAT's one of my biggest problems - I get to the point where I *can't* keep my mouth shut any longer.

Usually, I throw out junk mail. Today, I got a piece of mail inviting me to become a member of an organization whose bumpersticker is "good without a god" - The American Humanist Association. It's in my pending pile. I might actually send them a donation!
Old 05-27-2012, 02:42 AM   #1541
Embossing Fanatic

Thank you all for the warm reception to my post.
The fellowship is key for me and also it is refreshing to be able to discuss things from an atheist's point of view without worrying if someone is going to jump out and burn you at the stake for being a heretic. Sometimes I think this is what it must have felt like in the inquisition and it seems to be worse in the States.
It does take a long while to shuck the Catholic indoctrination. I only just gave up Guilt for Lent a few years back ;o)
I find most Atheists are smart and brave - you need to be to figure out and "come out".
Still in most social circles, a lot of people freak out if you say you are an Atheist.

Rob Buckman who wrote "Can You Be God Without God" was an Oncologyst but also the president of the Canadian Humanist Association. His talks were great and he had a well developed sense of humour having worked with John Cleese and other comedians in England when he was a student. Reading books by other atheists is sort of validating as is this string of posts. Thank you. Lilactime
Old 05-27-2012, 07:02 AM   #1542
Pearl-ExPert

Smile Welcome!

Quote:
The fellowship is key for me and also it is refreshing to be able to discuss things from an atheist's point of view without worrying if someone is going to jump out and burn you at the stake for being a heretic. Sometimes I think this is what it must have felt like in the inquisition and it seems to be worse in the States.
It does take a long while to shuck the Catholic indoctrination. I only just gave up Guilt for Lent a few years back ;o)
I find most Atheists are smart and brave - you need to be to figure out and "come out".
Still in most social circles, a lot of people freak out if you say you are an Atheist.

Rob Buckman who wrote "Can You Be God Without God" was an Oncologyst but also the president of the Canadian Humanist Association. His talks were great and he had a well developed sense of humour having worked with John Cleese and other comedians in England when he was a student. Reading books by other atheists is sort of validating as is this string of posts. Thank you. Lilactime
Lilactime, perfect time for your name to show up! They are blooming here in Wisconsin. Another late bloomer here. Bishop Spong was one of the first people I was introduced to as having non-traditional views. Frankly, I'm surprised he was allowed to stay a bishop. I saw him speak twice. Imagine a bishop saying he couldn't believe in intercessory prayer.

Thanks for the other book suggestions. I always love to read more. Hope to see you here often.
Old 05-27-2012, 07:30 AM   #1543
Pearl-ExPert

Default Help

My brother and SIL read that book about the 3 yr old who had an NDE(Near Death Experience) There Really is a Heaven. The 1st time they mentioned it, I said I didn't believe in that; scientists can reproduce those sensations by stimulating different parts of the brain. At that time they hadn't read the book.

Friday night it came up again in conversation. They really thought the book was amazing. Everyone else was eating it up. I said I had read about Hindu's NDE's and that they saw Hindu gods and that they weren't sent back because "they still had important work to do" or it wasn't "their time" as Christians were told. The Hindus were told it was a mistake or a clerical error! I guess I should have taken it farther and said, how could everyone be going to the one heaven if they're having different experiences?

Anyway, now that I'm actively looking for stuff to refute NDEs I seem to be finding more in favor of them than not. Anyone got some good links for me?
I won't expect quick answers due to the holiday weekend but any help is appreciated.
Old 05-27-2012, 11:07 AM   #1544
Embossing Fanatic

@sewsplendidstamper-- Hah, I feel the same way you do. Every once in a while I'll chime in here with some variation on a simple "yeah, how about that", then promptly wish I hadn't. But that's self-censoring, not anything coming in from this board. Which is more than I can say for the types of people we here collectively shake our heads about.
Old 05-27-2012, 11:29 AM   #1545

Good morning.

OK so I'm a huge fan of Kathy Griffin. She is me but thin and rich lol. I totally agree with most sh3e says in her acts and most she says about life in general. I would classify her as an agnostic, she has never to my knowledge claimed to be religious and pokes fun at it and her mom for her mom's catholic upbringing. Well I'm watcher her talk show last night and as usual something tickles her and she thanks baby Jesus for the hug. So I'm thinking to myself (this was late mind you and I just got home from work) so we hear about baby Jesus, and the adult Jesus but what about the 7 year old Jesus? Or the teenage Jesus? Are there stories about those ages in the bible or in any teachings? Or is it like in the soaps where someone has a baby, later that season the kid is five and goes to camp and comes back 14?
Old 05-27-2012, 11:31 AM   #1546

Yeah so things like that might be why I don't pipe up much lol
Old 05-27-2012, 11:39 AM   #1547

Quote:

I do think it's worse in the states because for some reason people feel the need to share. Just like you don't want to hear everything I think (or you'd be following me on Twitter) I don't want to hear every thing you think. I live in a very liberal area and am not afraid to say I don't believe in god or that I'm an atheist. Some people have said "Really?" when I tell them, not sure what they expect one of us to look like. I do tease my hair to cover the horns lol Others say nothing. I don't mock their belief, sometimes we chat about both theirs and mine. My elderly neighbor once came over with Easter candy for my kids. SHe leans in and whispered "I was raised jewish but I don't believe in god but wanted to give the kids a treat" To which I reply "GASP! HAHAHAHA We don't believe in god either. We celebrate the season change and eat tons of candy"

Out here I don't even feel like it's assumed I'm Christian. Actually here I think people would assume I'm Catholic first. It's just more private here I think. Of course I'm so mouthy and tell it like it is anyway I'd have no problem telling someone I don't buy into their brand of crazy. So is that who I am or a product of where I was raised?
Old 05-27-2012, 12:58 PM   #1548

Quote:
I do think it's worse in the states because for some reason people feel the need to share. Just like you don't want to hear everything I think (or you'd be following me on Twitter) I don't want to hear every thing you think. I live in a very liberal area and am not afraid to say I don't believe in god or that I'm an atheist. Some people have said "Really?" when I tell them, not sure what they expect one of us to look like. I do tease my hair to cover the horns lol Others say nothing. I don't mock their belief, sometimes we chat about both theirs and mine. My elderly neighbor once came over with Easter candy for my kids. SHe leans in and whispered "I was raised jewish but I don't believe in god but wanted to give the kids a treat" To which I reply "GASP! HAHAHAHA We don't believe in god either. We celebrate the season change and eat tons of candy"

Out here I don't even feel like it's assumed I'm Christian. Actually here I think people would assume I'm Catholic first. It's just more private here I think. Of course I'm so mouthy and tell it like it is anyway I'd have no problem telling someone I don't buy into their brand of crazy. So is that who I am or a product of where I was raised?
HAH! Next time I see you, I'm looking for the horns! ha ha ha

V and I live relatively close to each other - about a 45 minute drive, depending on traffic. So is everyone jealous now?

Old 05-27-2012, 01:33 PM   #1549
Crimping Master

Quote:
what about the 7 year old Jesus? Or the teenage Jesus? Are there stories about those ages in the bible or in any teachings? Or is it like in the soaps where someone has a baby, later that season the kid is five and goes to camp and comes back 14?
Just guessing here, but I bet teenage Jesus was probably hanging out of the back of a chariot with a bottle of wine and wolf whistling at Mary Magdeline. But I could be wrong.
Old 05-27-2012, 01:54 PM   #1550

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaBabe View Post
Sophie, I would be honored to be related to you.

THAT's one of my biggest problems - I get to the point where I *can't* keep my mouth shut any longer.

Usually, I throw out junk mail. Today, I got a piece of mail inviting me to become a member of an organization whose bumpersticker is "good without a god" - The American Humanist Association. It's in my pending pile. I might actually send them a donation!
I've found some spots on FB that I have "liked" and mostly enjoy their feed, usually just pictures.

Although I tend to look at FB only ever few days. I also greatly enjoy George Takei's site photos and every few days look at all of them. Makes me laugh.

Old 05-27-2012, 02:08 PM   #1551

Quote:

I love reading things too. Interestingly, I have a friend who's always been an atheist. I remember asking her something once about Richard Dawkins, and she said, "who?"

She simply never felt the need to read about it. She "knew" her whole life, never believed. She's very intelligent, very bright. I knew her for a year before I asked one day, out of the blue, if she went to any church. She quietly said, "no, I'm an atheist."

I wasn't, at the time, but I wasn't religious either. We talked about it a little.

She homeschooled her kids, because she said public schools are too Christian oriented. When they did world cultures, she taught them in depth about China and their culture and religion, India, and others, and then Europe and Christianity. Presented it the same as all the others. Another culture, another religion.

Amazing, huh.

Old 05-27-2012, 02:09 PM   #1552

Quote:
Just guessing here, but I bet teenage Jesus was probably hanging out of the back of a chariot with a bottle of wine and wolf whistling at Mary Magdeline. But I could be wrong.
LOL!!!!

I know there is the one story of him getting "lost" - having stayed behind to teach the Pharisees or something. I can't quite remember now. But he was a little older then, wasn't he? Not a baby but not an adult?

Old 05-27-2012, 02:22 PM   #1553

I just reserved this at my library. They didn't have anything but cancer books by Buckman, but I came across this one.

Amazon.com: Good Without God: What a Billion Nonreligious People Do Believe (9780061670114): Greg Epstein: Books

Old 05-27-2012, 02:24 PM   #1554

And then I ran across this totally cool article!

As atheists know, you can be good without God - USATODAY.com

Old 05-27-2012, 03:09 PM   #1555
Crimping Master

I just found something out that I am not quite sure how I feel about it. I don't know if I have mentioned it before but I live in a pretty small town that has a very large specific religious population. This religion is known in many circles as being VERY discrimanatory and quite separatist in their practices. There are children in my town who, when my daughter was young, told my daughter point blank that they did not hang out with kids that did not go to their church. (Just giving some background on the place I call home.)

While looking through my daughter's yearbook, I noticed items in the "timeline" were mostly taken from, what I have always thought to be, a religious newspaper. I could be wrong. Anyway, it prompted me to go to the schools website to see if there are things on there that I had not noticed before and would you believe...this was taken right off the website: [insert name] High School does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, or qualified disability. Nowhere does it say religion...interesting.

Please understand, I am not one of those who believes that "Under God" should be removed from The Pledge...and I have no problem with crosses being put up somewhere honoring anyone who has died. I don't march, I don't sign petitions and I really don't care what goes on in anyones home; just don't shove it down my throat and don't condemn me because I don't agree with your philosophies. That just kind of bothered me a little because I am not of the majority here and have witnessed horrible behavior in the name of religion right here in my own backyard. Am I wrong to feel this way? Over sensitive?
Old 05-27-2012, 07:14 PM   #1556

Quote:
I just found something out that I am not quite sure how I feel about it. I don't know if I have mentioned it before but I live in a pretty small town that has a very large specific religious population. This religion is known in many circles as being VERY discrimanatory and quite separatist in their practices. There are children in my town who, when my daughter was young, told my daughter point blank that they did not hang out with kids that did not go to their church. (Just giving some background on the place I call home.)

While looking through my daughter's yearbook, I noticed items in the "timeline" were mostly taken from, what I have always thought to be, a religious newspaper. I could be wrong. Anyway, it prompted me to go to the schools website to see if there are things on there that I had not noticed before and would you believe...this was taken right off the website: [insert name] High School does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, or qualified disability. Nowhere does it say religion...interesting.

Please understand, I am not one of those who believes that "Under God" should be removed from The Pledge...and I have no problem with crosses being put up somewhere honoring anyone who has died. I don't march, I don't sign petitions and I really don't care what goes on in anyones home; just don't shove it down my throat and don't condemn me because I don't agree with your philosophies. That just kind of bothered me a little because I am not of the majority here and have witnessed horrible behavior in the name of religion right here in my own backyard. Am I wrong to feel this way? Over sensitive?
Oversensitive because people are mean in the name of religion????

No way! It sounds to me like you are way more tolerant than those around you.

Old 05-28-2012, 02:54 PM   #1557
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stampin Wrose View Post
And then I ran across this totally cool article!

As atheists know, you can be good without God - USATODAY.com
Did you read any of the comments? "Atheist dogma?!?" Lol! Love it.
Old 05-28-2012, 09:17 PM   #1558

No critical thinking skills, no logic. Sigh.

You can say anything is true if you don't THINK about it too much. Even Santa Claus.

Old 05-29-2012, 04:02 AM   #1559
Embossing Fanatic

The times they are a changin' Tigerlily, even if ever so slowly. There was a moderator of the United Church of Canada a few years back who said publicly that he did not believe in God. (The United Church is the largest Protestant denomination in Canada and the most liberal.) That caused an "almighty" uproar, but brought people who thought as he did out into the light. Since then they have had more staid moderators, but every once in a while, they have the courage to elect a "live one".
Bill Phipps was his name. "A theological liberal, Phipps engendered controversy when shortly after becoming moderator he said "I don't believe Jesus was God", that he didn't consider the resurrection a scientific fact, and that he was agnostic on the question of an afterlife. What is important, Phipps argued, is not notions of the afterlife but fighting poverty and suffering on earth. "Your soul is lost unless you care about people starving in the streets," according to Phipps. He said that what is important is not so much whether or not the Bible is a literal historical record but the teachings and example of Jesus. This sparked great debate in the church, with some congregations passing motions asserting their faith in Jesus' literal resurrection."
There is a woman minister in the United Church with a parish in Toronto by the name of Gretta Vosper who is extremely popular and has attracted a huge congregation. She has written several books, the one I read was "With or Without God".
So, little by little, progress is being made to make non-believers a respected option within churches. Whether people choose to attend or not is not what is important to me, but fostering respect for this option is!
Old 05-29-2012, 04:12 AM   #1560
Embossing Fanatic

Hi Sewsplendid,
I saw a program on National Geographic that mentioned that Jesus spent a good few years in India.
There is information on Wikepedia here Lost years of Jesus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Some of the time lines coincide with your questions.