Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree183Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2011, 06:18 PM   #1241
NwP
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stampin Wrose View Post
Yes it does. You can type "Double U Tee Eff" though.

How about UUTF?
How about 'double V'? VVTF?
Old 11-06-2011, 03:04 PM   #1242
Glitter Guru

Default Which Presidents might have been non-believers?

I thought this was an interesting article:

Illini Secular Student Alliance: Top Four Presidents That Probably Shouldn't Have Sworn in on the Bible

I think it will be another generation before we see an openly atheist/humanist (even non-Christian!) President, and then I saw this:

Memo to FFRF: I Found a New Batch of Lawyers for You | Friendly Atheist

Given the number of lawyers who end up running for office, these statistics show some potential for an upcoming generation of secular politicians.
Old 11-06-2011, 03:59 PM   #1243
This reminds me of a Star Trek episode....

Interesting reading, Alyson! Thanks.

"Fun must be always." - Tomas Hertl, San Jose Sharks
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 11-07-2011, 08:48 AM   #1244
Crimping Master

Quote:
Yes it does. You can type "Double U Tee Eff" though.

How about UUTF?
WHAAAATTTT???? When did that happen? I know I haven't been around much, but sheesh. I had an interaction with another member of this site a year or so ago b/c I did not recognize "WT_". She kindly PMed me and explained what was up (apparently even the acronym offends some ) and then said I must not curse much since I didn't recognize it. I was laughing, heartily, to myself b/c I have a major potty mouth, and am VERY familiar with the actual acronym. And the word.

And where is the "twisted" smilie??

And I am giggling right now at the "Religious Studies" ad at the bottom of the page right now.
Old 11-07-2011, 08:51 AM   #1245
Crimping Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewsplendidstamper View Post
See I'm a horrible horrible HORRIBLE person and while I'd say nothing and sort of cringe in my head I'd be thinking really loudly "Well there was a lot of 'Oh god oh god oh god' in the bedroom but I don't think he was there"
Brilliant!
Old 11-08-2011, 04:29 PM   #1246
Embossing Fanatic

I'm so happy to have found this thread! Thanks Wrose! I think living in the Midwest makes it even stickier for us. I avoid the topic of religion whenever possible so I don't offend anyone (and to avoid having someone try to "save" me!) Only three people know how I feel about religion, and I even watered it down for two of them, so it's nice to find a place to connect with like-minded people. I know there are millions of sites out there, but I like that we have other common interests, too.

[/I]
Quote:
Along those lines, isn't it interesting how American Christians usually have Jesus with very white skin and blue eyes?
I found that amusing even before I came over to "the dark side" lol
Old 11-08-2011, 07:34 PM   #1247

Welcome!!! I wanted to say Michele but I'm not sure that's your name! LOL

Old 11-08-2011, 07:34 PM   #1248

Quote:
Originally Posted by bksjones View Post
WHAAAATTTT???? When did that happen? I know I haven't been around much, but sheesh. I had an interaction with another member of this site a year or so ago b/c I did not recognize "WT_". She kindly PMed me and explained what was up (apparently even the acronym offends some ) and then said I must not curse much since I didn't recognize it. I was laughing, heartily, to myself b/c I have a major potty mouth, and am VERY familiar with the actual acronym. And the word.

And where is the "twisted" smilie??

And I am giggling right now at the "Religious Studies" ad at the bottom of the page right now.
Can we say STFU?

Why yes, yes we can.

Old 11-08-2011, 08:37 PM   #1249
Mad Swapper

Quote:
Can we say STFU?

Why yes, yes we can.
How do you type that laugh that mostly comes out of your nose? Or is there an emoticon for it? It definitely was an Out Loud. Snort Out Loud (SOL) perhaps?

View My Gallery
Old 11-08-2011, 09:01 PM   #1250
Hardware Hotshot

SOL!! I love it!
Stephanie
Old 11-08-2011, 09:31 PM   #1251
Glitter Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschele64 View Post
I'm so happy to have found this thread! Thanks Wrose! I think living in the Midwest makes it even stickier for us. I avoid the topic of religion whenever possible so I don't offend anyone (and to avoid having someone try to "save" me!) Only three people know how I feel about religion, and I even watered it down for two of them, so it's nice to find a place to connect with like-minded people. I know there are millions of sites out there, but I like that we have other common interests, too. l
Welcome, mschele! I remember being a new mom, trying to connect with people in a new town, going to scrapping, then stamping, events and wondering (amongst the overwhelming religiousness) if there was anyone like me who also enjoyed scrapping and stamping. I was very happy to find this community, and to find atheists/humanists/nonbelievers/heathens, etc., who enjoyed the same things I did. I'm glad you've found us
Old 11-08-2011, 10:08 PM   #1252
Embossing Fanatic

Thanks, Alyson & Kathy. And yes, it is Michele. I can already tell I'll be spending a good deal of time here!
Old 11-08-2011, 10:47 PM   #1253

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkes View Post
SOL!! I love it!
Stephanie
Except for me, SOL means something else, specifically, "Sh__ Out (of) Luck."

I can hear my brother saying it, "You're S-O-L!"

I always type that laugh as

*snort*

Although that seems somewhat inadequate.

Old 11-08-2011, 11:32 PM   #1254
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschele64 View Post
I'm so happy to have found this thread! Thanks Wrose! I think living in the Midwest makes it even stickier for us. I avoid the topic of religion whenever possible so I don't offend anyone (and to avoid having someone try to "save" me!) Only three people know how I feel about religion, and I even watered it down for two of them, so it's nice to find a place to connect with like-minded people. I know there are millions of sites out there, but I like that we have other common interests, too.

[/I]

I found that amusing even before I came over to "the dark side" lol
Hi Michele and welcome from New Zealand. I was thrilled to find this site too as I found the SCS forum in general to be much more 'Christian' than I expected. Religion is much less of an issue in NZ than in the US - no one will ask you what church you go to or assume you are Christian. Anyway I am glad you have found us!
Stephanie
Old 12-06-2011, 01:53 PM   #1255

So how is everyone doing in the midst of the religious holidays?

Our Christmas is pretty secular. DH believes in God (so he says), but is not and never has been active in any religion. He never talks about God or anything. So really you can't tell whether he believes or not, just from knowing him.

I think I'll put some lights around the fireplace this year and that's it. Wow, that will be easy. No furniture moving or anything.

Old 12-06-2011, 09:00 PM   #1256
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
So how is everyone doing in the midst of the religious holidays?

Our Christmas is pretty secular. DH believes in God (so he says), but is not and never has been active in any religion. He never talks about God or anything. So really you can't tell whether he believes or not, just from knowing him.

I think I'll put some lights around the fireplace this year and that's it. Wow, that will be easy. No furniture moving or anything.
We have a Christmas tree because we think it's pretty. Not too many religious things on it - heavy on the stars, birds, and hearts. A few angels and nativity type ornaments that were gifts from family members. That's about all the decorating we do. I play lots of Christmas music this time of year.

Our Christmas is also secular. Hubby, one daughter and I are all atheist. The other daughter is undecided, but doesn't seem bothered that the rest of us know what we don't believe. Actually, all she really is is scared not to believe because some of her friends have terrified her with tales of what will happen to her if she doesn't. Grrr.

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing it is stupid. - Albert Einstein
Old 12-06-2011, 09:25 PM   #1257
Diversified Multicultural Postmodern Deconstructionist Philogian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily55 View Post
I think it could also be a form of evanglizing or witnessing. Isn't goat wonderful for creating this beautiful child?

I'm sure your child is very beautiful in the way we conventionally attribute beauty. I wonder what this woman says if a child has Downes Syndrome or CP. Does she share the wonder of goat then?

What do you say? Thanks but I thank my husbands and my genes for giving us a beautiful child? Or We were just lucky, god really didn't have anything to do with it? I can think of a few more confrontational responses but I decided not to go there

Come on people! Let's give her some viable alternatives!
The proper response is, "And what would you say to me if my child were ugly?"

Then walk away.

Rainsong
Old 12-06-2011, 09:43 PM   #1258

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdjkssss View Post
We have a Christmas tree because we think it's pretty. Not too many religious things on it - heavy on the stars, birds, and hearts. A few angels and nativity type ornaments that were gifts from family members. That's about all the decorating we do. I play lots of Christmas music this time of year.

Our Christmas is also secular. Hubby, one daughter and I are all atheist. The other daughter is undecided, but doesn't seem bothered that the rest of us know what we don't believe. Actually, all she really is is scared not to believe because some of her friends have terrified her with tales of what will happen to her if she doesn't. Grrr.
When we have done a tree, it's like yours!!! There's a Star Wars section and Star Trek, and Disney and birds and ... well you get the idea. I love having Darth Vader on the tree, and you push the button and he talks. HAHAHA And tie fighters and Spock's voice in the shuttle, and Seven of Nine, and the Doctor from Voyager..... what a mix!!!!

And an angel on top - my sister gave me that.

I have set up the manger too, I don't have a problem with it, got it when I still believed, but I figure, the holiday is supposedly to celebrate that particular birthday, whether or not the person was supernatural.... it's still a pretty scene.

I guess it can be interesting how we deal with the juxtapositions.

Old 12-06-2011, 09:44 PM   #1259

Quote:
Oh and I'm sorry our daughter has been scared. Hopefully she will grow out of that. I would hate to be someone who believed only out of fear!!!

Old 12-06-2011, 10:17 PM   #1260
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Yeah, that's why _I_ tried to believe and be a Christian. It didn't last. As Yoda says, "Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate". I know he is just a cute fictional muppet, but it rang true for me! Fear of hell did NOT lead me to love of God. I think only those who love God (as opposed to being scared of Hell) can stick with their religion.

As for my own Christmas, I am having a good time making Christmas cards! My energy level is waaaay too low to do any decorating.
Old 12-06-2011, 10:51 PM   #1261
Glitter Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLaFontaine View Post
As Yoda says, "Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate". I know he is just a cute fictional muppet, but it rang true for me! Fear of hell did NOT lead me to love of God. I think only those who love God (as opposed to being scared of Hell) can stick with their religion.
I had to read this twice to make sure Yoda was the fictional muppet to whom you referred...

We have a secular Christmas/Solstice/xmas (depending on who I'm talking to). Tree, lights, ornaments from my childhood and one every year for each person so the kids will have some to take with them when they setup their own home.

We have xmas eve at Grandma's (though she never makes the glogg great-grandma did - whew, baby, that was strong!) then the 25th (presents, brunch, dinner) at our house. DH's family has an entirely different (NOT leftovers) huge meal for boxing day, but I usually talk him into leftovers.

The kids usually make gingerbread houses, but the mold is my ex-SILs so I need to look for one of my own now.

Thankfully, no family drama re: religion in our family. My dad's never gone, and my mom worked her way to atheism/humanism around the same time I did. DH's family are also not particularly religious.

Hope everyone has a nice holiday season without any grumpy people getting offended if you say "Happy Holidays!", LOL. I shopped mostly online this year so I haven't had any of those issues this year - last year there were a couple, though. Maybe the War on Christmas is over?
Old 12-06-2011, 10:57 PM   #1262
Stazon Splitcoast

Oh sorry Alyson! I guess he is really NOT a muppet!! Only, I have ever thought of him as a muppet ever since Weird Al wrote the song "Yoda" (after the original "Lola"?), which became my favourite song for years afterwards. One of the lyrics in that song was "A guy who looks like a muppet, but he's wrinkled and green".
Old 12-06-2011, 11:10 PM   #1263

Yoda - wise he is!

Old 12-06-2011, 11:11 PM   #1264

We have a Yoda ornament too. And Ewoks.

Old 12-07-2011, 09:12 AM   #1265
Embossing Fanatic

My DH is kind of like Kathy's-pretty much the way I used to be too. Except I did actually go to Mass from time to time. I haven't been in years now, except for Midnight Mass on Christmas, and I haven't even done that for the past two years. And that was just for the tradition. The music and lighting and everything is so beautiful. But the incense will kill ya! Or at least make you sick--it really gets my asthma going and my 22 year old passed out the last time we went! Too little oxygen & too much kneeling. He slumped over onto MIL so my brother & I rushed over. We're trying to get him seated & straighten his legs a little and she's trying to stand him up! This is the same woman who grabbed his arms, held them over his head, and started shaking him to dislodge the lifesaver her daughter gave him when he was about 15 months old. I don't know where she thought it was going to go! Every time I took him from her she'd snatch him back and do it again. I finally got him away & laid him across my lap. One little slap on his back and it popped right out!

But I digress....hahaha! Anyway.... We don't even do Midnight Mass anymore. Still do the tree (with lots of stars and snowflakes and sparkly baubles) and cards. DH made some remark about buying into the pc "season's greetings" on this year's card, but when I challenged him to find one that I had sent that said "Merry Christmas," he dropped it. He doesn't want to talk about my beliefs any more than he wants to talk about his own. I have a friend who is very committed to a pretty radical (IMO) fundamentalist Christian church--the kind that teaches that anyone who does not believe and practice their way will go to hell. Since the bible doesn't say "celebrate Christ's birth on Dec 25," they don't celebrate it religiously. It's all about gifts and Santa. Never thought I'd have anything in common with that church! Lol
Guess I'm feeling chatty today!

personallycreated.blogspot.com/

Last edited by mschele64; 12-07-2011 at 09:16 AM..
Old 12-07-2011, 09:37 AM   #1266
neglecting the kids and housework

This is a religious holiday? I thought it was a sponsored holiday by all of retail land LOL

We have a tree, and snowmen and a bazillion lights and family and Santa comes, fills the kids stockings and leaves an ornament in Natalie's stocking. We exchange gifts and eat and laugh and list4en to music and enjoy days off and being together.

I say Happy Holidays because I can't assume to even come close to knowing who celebrates what and to me Christmas is Dec 25 not Dec 8 when I'm at the grocery getting milk but I want to give someone a smile. Happy Holidays to you! Especially since there are many holidays from late November to Early January. Not my problem if you get bent over my well wishes.
Old 12-07-2011, 10:50 AM   #1267
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Happy Holidays, everyone!

I love this time of year and we definitely celebrate Christmas. My youngest is turning 3 this month, so this year, we didn't have to surround the tree with a giant, gray child gate! Lol, It's much more festive without it!

We do presents, Elf on the Shelf, and Santa brings the big gift and fills stockings on Christmas morning. We do a little travel and spend time with my family and DH's family. We've trimmed down our present-buying list to our immediate family and a few nieces and nephews. It's so nice to not be so busy shopping and really get to enjoy spending time with family and friends, which is what this holiday is all about for us.

I hope that if, or however you celebrate, it's a happy time for you and your family!
Old 12-07-2011, 11:31 AM   #1268
Pearl-ExPert

Default Solstice?

Well, I like the idea of not having a tree, Wrose. In fact that's what I planned for this year unless my grown up daughter insists on it. It's just that no one is around to help take it down! What's up with that?!

I think I had a period of mourning when I definitely decided I didn't believe any more. It is a loss - of community, of comfort, of ritual. But now I'm totally ok with being the only one not praying at the holiday table.

So I guess I'll put up a few little treasures here and there and call it good.
Happy Solstice everyone!
Old 12-07-2011, 02:11 PM   #1269
Glitter Guru

Quote:
Oh sorry Alyson! I guess he is really NOT a muppet!! Only, I have ever thought of him as a muppet ever since Weird Al wrote the song "Yoda" (after the original "Lola"?), which became my favourite song for years afterwards. One of the lyrics in that song was "A guy who looks like a muppet, but he's wrinkled and green".
LOL, that wasn't what I meant - I saw fictional muppet and god in my first skimming, and thought, hmmm.
Old 12-07-2011, 03:50 PM   #1270

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlysonRR View Post
LOL, that wasn't what I meant - I saw fictional muppet and god in my first skimming, and thought, hmmm.
Ha ha ha ha ha!!!!!

Old 12-07-2011, 03:52 PM   #1271

I love reading how you all celebrate the holidays.

V, I have to agree with you about Happy Holidays. Maybe in the south, you can assume that 90% are Christians, but certainly not out here! And the last place I lived, southeast Florida, the Jewish population was very large.

I would love to assume that people who get their panties in a knot about it, maybe live in a small town and don't have the diversity some of us enjoy.

Old 12-07-2011, 04:31 PM   #1272
neglecting the kids and housework

I had a very lazy sort of depressing day (just too tired really) and read this thread thru. What a wonderful funny group of ladies. Thanks for the support, the information, the views and the fun.
Old 12-07-2011, 06:10 PM   #1273
Diversified Multicultural Postmodern Deconstructionist Philogian

Quote:
Not too far off, though. Yoda was the creation of Wendy Froud, who worked for Jim Henson and who is also the creator of the characters in Labyrinth. Oh, and she's also the mother of Toby, the little boy in the same movie.

Her husband is also an artist who does the most wondrous Faeries ever.

Rainsong--I'm sorry! I have all these useless tidbits rattling around in my head and they simply must come out!
Old 12-09-2011, 10:13 AM   #1274
Matboard Maniac

Quote:
I love reading how you all celebrate the holidays.

V, I have to agree with you about Happy Holidays. Maybe in the south, you can assume that 90% are Christians, but certainly not out here! And the last place I lived, southeast Florida, the Jewish population was very large.

I would love to assume that people who get their panties in a knot about it, maybe live in a small town and don't have the diversity some of us enjoy.
Based on my Facebook feed, there are plenty of non-small town people who believe there is a war on Christmas. It is my opinion that a certain number of them like the idea of it. It gives them something to fight.

Tis the season to be snarky over "Happy Holidays" vs "Merry Christmas". The fight brings everyone so much joy.

"Yet dawn is ever the hope of men." Aragorn in The Two Towers by JRR Tolkien
Old 12-09-2011, 02:12 PM   #1275
Hardware Hotshot

Here is it is summer (New Zealand) so for me the summer holidays, sunny days, picnics, and the general holdiay feeling is much stronger than Christmas which I have not celebrated since leaving home 30+ years ago. Christmas day is just another day for me.
New Year's day is much more special to me. I write New Years cards on that day and enjoy putting the date with the new year on each one. During each year my partner and I put things that are special to us like cards, concert tickets, letters and postcards etc in a large envelope and on New Years day we tip them out and I stick them into a scrap book. Then we go over the scrapbook together and are reminded of the things that happened to us over the year. So that is our ritual.
Stephanie
Old 12-09-2011, 09:32 PM   #1276

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnDoings View Post
Based on my Facebook feed, there are plenty of non-small town people who believe there is a war on Christmas. It is my opinion that a certain number of them like the idea of it. It gives them something to fight.

Tis the season to be snarky over "Happy Holidays" vs "Merry Christmas". The fight brings everyone so much joy.
Even Rick Perry - well not specifically Christmas - but attacked Obama's non-existent war on religion.

In a new ad,
Quote:
Perry bravely comes out as a follower of Christ. “I’m not ashamed to admit that I’m a Christian,” he says, before vowing that “as President, I’ll end Obama’s war on religion.”
and the truth?

Quote:
Anyone who has paid attention to Obama’s speeches and language would have to concede that the charge is false. Obama’s remarks at the White House Easter prayer breakfast this year–in which he spoke of Jesus’ “unfathomable gift of grace and salvation through his death and resurrection”–are arguably the most explicitly Christian that any President has uttered at an official White House event. Similarly, before the lighting of the National Christmas Tree last week, Obama spoke about the Christmas story and the teaching “at the heart of my Christian faith.”
Why Rick Perry’s New Ads Are Wrong on Religion–And Obama | Swampland | TIME.com

And then there are the stores.....
Best Buy likes to be inclusive. From 2006:
snopes.com: Best Buy Christmas Ban
And Home Depot was incorrectly attacked in 2008:
snopes.com: Home Depot Christmas

Old 12-09-2011, 09:32 PM   #1277

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkes View Post
Here is it is summer (New Zealand) so for me the summer holidays, sunny days, picnics, and the general holdiay feeling is much stronger than Christmas which I have not celebrated since leaving home 30+ years ago. Christmas day is just another day for me.
New Year's day is much more special to me. I write New Years cards on that day and enjoy putting the date with the new year on each one. During each year my partner and I put things that are special to us like cards, concert tickets, letters and postcards etc in a large envelope and on New Years day we tip them out and I stick them into a scrap book. Then we go over the scrapbook together and are reminded of the things that happened to us over the year. So that is our ritual.
Stephanie
I really like that!

Old 12-14-2011, 12:17 AM   #1278
Glitter Guru

Default You *have* to see this - tree decorations for atheists!

The first one is yours, Wrose And there's another one for Sophie!

How to Decorate Your Tree Like a Good Atheist | Friendly Atheist

Oh, and check out the comments - people have added their suggestions

We have a star on top, but since the tree is tall and me and the kids are short, we're waiting for DH to come home Friday to do the rest of the decorating (we can't wind the lights...).

That hasn't stopped DD from decorating the open spaces with all her Pokemon, though - a tree full of plush Pokemon - very cute!

Last edited by AlysonRR; 12-14-2011 at 08:11 AM..
Old 12-14-2011, 01:46 AM   #1279

Love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 12-16-2011, 01:51 AM   #1280

Just wanted to mention that Christopher Hitchens died. I read his book, "God is not Great, how religion poisons everything." He'd been battling cancer.