Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree138Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2011, 12:43 PM   #1041
neglecting the kids and housework

Ah you know, 2 jobs, 2 kids, volunteering, fund raising, no band SU work LOL

I was trying to see who was in your avi but no luck. I'm sitting here today while DH plays football and the kids are playing trying to churn out cards to sell for a big fund raiser event I'm trying to get together in April.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 03-26-2011, 12:47 PM   #1042
This reminds me of a Star Trek episode....

Quote:
Originally Posted by corrosive69 View Post
oh ya the whole reason i came back to this thread...which i should never leave...a lady i work with is a born again christian. I work at McDonalds. Around the holidays its policy to not say "merry christmas" or "happy easter"...so we don't offend anyone. Well this lady and i got in a fight about merrry Christmas. I said to her...what if a jewish person came through, don't you think that would offend them? Or what about an Atheist..she says...everyone believes in god. I laughed...she said what you are a christian aren't you? I laughed again and said i didn't believe in god. I have never seen anyone get so offended in my life!! I said i am not offended that you believe in god, so why are you offeneded that i don't? She really had nothing to say to me. It hasn't been talked about since.

I never talk about religion or politics...gets me in trouble everytime...but sometimes you just have to!!!

ok i should get some work done....
hugs
Ahhh, so your best attempts to avoid the subject went for naught!! I'm like you, I wouldn't bring it up, but heck, if asked outright, yeah, I'd answer!!!

Oh well.... hopefully it was "consciousness raising" for her to realize that there ARE people around her who are atheists, and she doesn't even know it, because there are no overt signs, no Satanic symbols popping off our foreheads, no evil rituals on coffee break, etc. ROFL

"Fun must be always." - Tomas Hertl, San Jose Sharks
Old 03-26-2011, 01:04 PM   #1043
Gallery Gazer

Send a message via MSN to corrosive69 Send a message via Yahoo to corrosive69

Oh that is a guy named Joel who plays bass in a band called Evile!! You sound as busy as me!!!!!!!!!! lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by sewsplendidstamper View Post
Ah you know, 2 jobs, 2 kids, volunteering, fund raising, no band SU work LOL

I was trying to see who was in your avi but no luck. I'm sitting here today while DH plays football and the kids are playing trying to churn out cards to sell for a big fund raiser event I'm trying to get together in April.
Old 03-26-2011, 01:06 PM   #1044
Gallery Gazer

lol well she probably things i am a satan worshipper because of my taste in music...lol if i want to scare people i will start talking about satan to mess with them!! lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stampin Wrose View Post
Ahhh, so your best attempts to avoid the subject went for naught!! I'm like you, I wouldn't bring it up, but heck, if asked outright, yeah, I'd answer!!!

Oh well.... hopefully it was "consciousness raising" for her to realize that there ARE people around her who are atheists, and she doesn't even know it, because there are no overt signs, no Satanic symbols popping off our foreheads, no evil rituals on coffee break, etc. ROFL
Old 03-26-2011, 01:07 PM   #1045

I'm being decidedly unbusy today. Got a bit of laundry done, some dishes and other than that nothing
Old 03-26-2011, 05:26 PM   #1046
Glitter Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewsplendidstamper View Post
I'm being decidedly unbusy today. Got a bit of laundry done, some dishes and other than that nothing
Sounds pretty busy to me!

I've been sick for a week (bronchitis, and ear infections - how does an adult end up with double ear infections?!?!?!?!), so today, I got up at 10 am after taking a nice dose of cough syrup with codeine last night, then slept again from 1-4, then have been just sitting watching college hockey and b-ball and surfing (and trying to get things moving over on CE).

Now I think I'm going to pop in a DVD of White Collar and view some of the delicious eye-candy known as Neal Caffrey
Old 03-28-2011, 05:21 AM   #1047
Gallery Gazer

I had bronchitis for a week too!! just getting over it now!!!! Hope you are feeling better!!
Old 03-28-2011, 07:01 AM   #1048

Quote:
Originally Posted by sma499 View Post

I've been sick for a week (bronchitis, and ear infections - how does an adult end up with double ear infections?!?!?!?!), so today, I got up at 10 am after taking a nice dose of cough syrup with codeine last night, then slept again from 1-4, then have been just sitting watching college hockey and b-ball and surfing (and trying to get things moving over on CE).

Now I think I'm going to pop in a DVD of White Collar and view some of the delicious eye-candy known as Neal Caffrey
Not normal busy how bout that. Like today...
8:00 leave to take kid to school in a few blocks away
take other kid to school 25 miles away
come back
rush to get food, changed, pee
9:50 back to first school to run art station for K/1 class
11:35 class over take my kid home
snack, pee, check here , unload dishwaher back in car at
12:20 drive to get other kid
home (sometimes we run an errand but nothing pressing today)
set up kid lunches, go thru mail, log on here to do my mod shift, get my lunch, start laundry, fill dishwasher, break up fights, tell kids 37 times they can't have any treats (candy), handwash dishes
3:30 start clean up time. Pick up stuff on the floor, any accumulated dishes, straighten beds, snack for the kids if they are hubngry
4:00 off mod shift and attempt to sneak away for a few minutes to watch one case on Judge Judy
4:02 am not successful at sneaking LOL
4:30 start dinner prep, pull out ingredients and stuff

5:15 DH home, kids go crazy, dinner started (spring and summer we push back dinner and do family walk at this time..too rainy and cold still)
6:30 dinner
7:00 final picking up, baths if needed, pajamas, kisses, a little tv with the kids and then tuck them in
8:15 DH and I watch tv after I've showered and chilled and then I try to mak it to 9:30...sometimes I don't LOL
Old 03-28-2011, 08:41 AM   #1049
NwP
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by sma499 View Post

I can't remember which was worse: pink-eye or ear infections. I seriously am too old for that.
Old 03-28-2011, 04:36 PM   #1050
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by NwP View Post
I can't remember which was worse: pink-eye or ear infections. I seriously am too old for that.
Both suck. Also, head lice. Last time they went around the elementary school, DH and I got them, too. Ick.

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing it is stupid. - Albert Einstein
Old 03-29-2011, 05:38 PM   #1051
Glitter Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdjkssss View Post
Both suck. Also, head lice. Last time they went around the elementary school, DH and I got them, too. Ick.
Ick to this and the pink eye. I'll stick with the ear infections, even though one ear still feels plugged and I'm still coughing like crazy, and it's been over a week now.
Old 04-18-2011, 08:27 AM   #1052
Mad Swapper

Here is a compilation of some of Christopher Hitchens appearances that I found interesting. I am off to the library tonight to get some of his books.

Blog Paper Rocks!
Old 04-18-2011, 11:05 AM   #1053

Kim - thank you. I don't usually listen to long clips, but I did this one.

Old 04-18-2011, 12:12 PM   #1054
Mad Swapper

Quote:
Kim - thank you. I don't usually listen to long clips, but I did this one.
You know I am the same way, things like that don't often hold my attention long enough for me to stick with it but this one was so compelling that I watched the whole thing as well. What an astute individual CH is!

Blog Paper Rocks!
Old 04-20-2011, 07:30 AM   #1055
Pearl-ExPert

Default For good people to do evil that takes religion

Hitchens borrowed that quote from Steven Weinberg. It's still a good one! Hitchens is such a good writer and seems to have a prodigious memory for history and literature. I love to listen to him.

His book, God is Not Great, is well worth reading. I read his diatribe on Mother Teresa. It has hardly any foot notes so I don't know where he got his information from. I don't find it hard to believe what he wrote but I wish he would have had a more scholarly approach. It was news to me that she wasn't spending all the money she collected and didn't even give people pain medicine. Suffering for sufferings sake? No thanks.
Old 04-20-2011, 12:52 PM   #1056
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily55 View Post
Hitchens borrowed that quote from Steven Weinberg. It's still a good one! Hitchens is such a good writer and seems to have a prodigious memory for history and literature. I love to listen to him.

His book, God is Not Great, is well worth reading. I read his diatribe on Mother Teresa. It has hardly any foot notes so I don't know where he got his information from. I don't find it hard to believe what he wrote but I wish he would have had a more scholarly approach. It was news to me that she wasn't spending all the money she collected and didn't even give people pain medicine. Suffering for sufferings sake? No thanks.
I copied this segment from Wikipedia's article on Mother Theresa.
'She has also been criticized for her view on suffering. She felt that suffering would bring people closer to Jesus.[44] Sanal Edamaruku, President of Rationalist International , criticised the failure to give pain killers, writing that in her Homes for the Dying, one could “hear the screams of people having maggots tweezered from their open wounds without pain relief. On principle, strong painkillers are even in hard cases not given. According to Mother Teresa's bizarre philosophy, it is ‘the most beautiful gift for a person that he can participate in the sufferings of Christ’.”[45]

This segment and the rest of the article is well referenced so it was a pity Hitchens didn't use footnotes as well, although I have no doubt his work was well researched.
Stephanie
Old 04-20-2011, 02:07 PM   #1057
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkes View Post
I copied this segment from Wikipedia's article on Mother Theresa.
'She has also been criticized for her view on suffering. She felt that suffering would bring people closer to Jesus.[44] Sanal Edamaruku, President of Rationalist International , criticised the failure to give pain killers, writing that in her Homes for the Dying, one could “hear the screams of people having maggots tweezered from their open wounds without pain relief. On principle, strong painkillers are even in hard cases not given. According to Mother Teresa's bizarre philosophy, it is ‘the most beautiful gift for a person that he can participate in the sufferings of Christ’.”[45]

Stephanie
Should have thought about Wiki. I guess I shouldn't be all that surprised about the suffering angle. We were always told as children to "offer up" our pains and disappointments to god. I have no doubt she went out with the best modern medicine had to offer as far as pain relief.
Old 05-02-2011, 12:26 PM   #1058

Interesting article:
Cheating and Benevolent God: How A Mean God Makes Better People

more details here:

Tell Your Students That if They Cheat, God Will Smite Them - Tweed - The Chronicle of Higher Education

Old 05-02-2011, 12:27 PM   #1059

That study kind of tells me that just maybe religious leaders have historically used the fire and brimstone god to keep people in line.

Old 05-02-2011, 04:39 PM   #1060
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
That study kind of tells me that just maybe religious leaders have historically used the fire and brimstone god to keep people in line.
I have no doubt they did. If you can threaten people with eternal damnation you have a huge amount of control over them.
Stephanie
Old 05-04-2011, 07:36 AM   #1061
Pearl-ExPert

Sort of reminds me of studies I've read about that say that very sick serious Christians will want to expend every effort toward life-saving measures as opposed to less religious, non-religious people. If heaven's so great, what's the problem with dying?

Well, now that I read it again, maybe it's not really germane to the topic but I still find it interesting!
Old 05-04-2011, 12:04 PM   #1062
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Sort of reminds me of studies I've read about that say that very sick serious Christians will want to expend every effort toward life-saving measures as opposed to less religious, non-religious people. If heaven's so great, what's the problem with dying?

Well, now that I read it again, maybe it's not really germane to the topic but I still find it interesting!
I also find that interesting - thanks for sharing.
Stephanie
Old 05-05-2011, 04:56 PM   #1063
Glitter Guru

If you joined me in constant eyerolls listening to the revisionist Christianist historical propaganda spewed by David Barton on The Daily Show last night, you might be interested in this post and free e-book download from Chris Rodda: Chris Rodda: Do Well By Doing Good
Old 05-05-2011, 05:26 PM   #1064
Polyshrink Goddess

So I was checking my facebook newsfeed and saw this gorgeous card from our very own Sophie LaFontaine
Yay, Sophie! You do such beautiful work!
Old 05-05-2011, 05:28 PM   #1065
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlysonRR View Post
If you joined me in constant eyerolls listening to the revisionist Christianist historical propaganda spewed by David Barton on The Daily Show last night, you might be interested in this post and free e-book download from Chris Rodda: Chris Rodda: Do Well By Doing Good
Yep, I was annoyed. What a tool!
Old 05-05-2011, 06:35 PM   #1066
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Oh Alyson! I was afraid to watch because that guy makes me so mad! Did Stewart make any points or was he not up on all the cherry-icked quotes etc. that Barton uses? I love Chris Rodda!
Old 05-05-2011, 06:44 PM   #1067
Glitter Guru

Quote:
Oh Alyson! I was afraid to watch because that guy makes me so mad! Did Stewart make any points or was he not up on all the cherry-icked quotes etc. that Barton uses? I love Chris Rodda!
Stewart made a few good points but was hampered by his politeness, IMO. Barton spoke over him constantly, interrupting and making irrelevant responses. Very annoying!
Old 05-05-2011, 06:50 PM   #1068
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Stewart made a few good points but was hampered by his politeness, IMO. Barton spoke over him constantly, interrupting and making irrelevant responses. Very annoying!
That's too bad. Sometimes Stewart is too polite and sometimes not really prepared enough. It makes me so mad that this guy is spewing his drivel on Glenn Beck's show and people take it as, oh, you know -gospel!

I almost wished that Stewart hadn't even had him on. Why give the guy another platform?
Old 05-05-2011, 09:27 PM   #1069
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by bksjones View Post
So I was checking my facebook newsfeed and saw this gorgeous card from our very own Sophie LaFontaine
Yay, Sophie! You do such beautiful work!
<grin> Thanks Barb!!
Old 05-05-2011, 09:32 PM   #1070
Stazon Splitcoast

My sister's family and in-laws (actually, I'd say, her entire community) all think Dave Barton's view of history is correct!! I don't know enough about history to argue with them. My sister thinks Jefferson WAS a Christian though, and thinks we (atheists) just mis-interpret his quotes.
Old 05-05-2011, 09:41 PM   #1071

Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLaFontaine View Post
My sister's family and in-laws (actually, I'd say, her entire community) all think Dave Barton's view of history is correct!! I don't know enough about history to argue with them. My sister thinks Jefferson WAS a Christian though, and thinks we (atheists) just mis-interpret his quotes.
Ask her if she's read the Jefferson Bible, the one where he took out all the miracles because he believed Jesus was a good inspiration without the supernatural stuff.

Old 05-05-2011, 10:18 PM   #1072
Stazon Splitcoast

I'll try to remember to ask, but right now I'd venture to say she has NOT read it. She'd probably agree with Jefferson that Jesus WAS a good inspiration without the supernatural stuff though. She'd probably argue that Jefferson's Bible doesn't mean Jefferson wasn't a Christian.

Actually, I try not to discuss religious stuff with her, since she's not going to change her mind (about history - America's or the Earth's [she believes the Earth is only 6000 years old!!!!!!!]) and I'm not going to change mine (based on anything she says).
Old 05-09-2011, 12:25 PM   #1073

How's this for a Facebook posting by a friend of mine?

"For the fourth time in less than a week, <my daughter> is cooking dinner. I am SO blessed. Thank you, God!"

Really? How about, You're a great parent to have raised a daughter that will cook, and enjoys it. How about "thank you daughter"??

This kind of thinking is so weird to me!!!!! Unless the child was raised by others, why on earth would you not accept that you planted good seeds and watered them and are now seeing the fruits of your own labors?

Is there something wrong with that?

I kind of think "blessed" could be reserved for things like, oh winning the lottery.......

Old 05-09-2011, 12:30 PM   #1074
Mad Swapper

I just don't get why when good things happen god gets credit (she was so blessed) but when bad things happen "he" doesn't get cursed

Blog Paper Rocks!
Old 05-09-2011, 12:59 PM   #1075
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by jknath View Post
I just don't get why when good things happen god gets credit (she was so blessed) but when bad things happen "he" doesn't get cursed
I agree - this doesn't make any sense.
Stephanie
Old 05-09-2011, 01:18 PM   #1076
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

"For the fourth time in less than a week, <my daughter> is cooking dinner. I am SO blessed. Thank you, God!"

Really? How about, You're a great parent to have raised a daughter that will cook, and enjoys it. How about "thank you daughter"??

This kind of thinking is so weird to me!!!!! Unless the child was raised by others, why on earth would you not accept that you planted good seeds and watered them and are now seeing the fruits of your own labors?

I kind of think "blessed" could be reserved for things like, oh winning the lottery.......

And conversely, couldn't her daughter be doing this without a god existing to credit for it?
Old 05-09-2011, 02:49 PM   #1077
NwP
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

This reminds me of a girl I knew in high school. She was quite buxom (and we were envious) and liked to say that she had been 'blessed'. [snort]
Old 05-10-2011, 09:23 AM   #1078
Mad Swapper

I stumbled on THIS blog and found the following quote
"Debating creationists on the topic of evolution is rather like trying to play chess with a pigeon; it knocks the pieces over, craps on the board, and flies back to its flock to claim victory."

- Scott D. Weitzenhoffer
totally cracked me up, I want it on a t-shirt

Blog Paper Rocks!
Old 05-10-2011, 10:58 AM   #1079
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by jknath View Post
I stumbled on THIS blog and found the following quote
"Debating creationists on the topic of evolution is rather like trying to play chess with a pigeon; it knocks the pieces over, craps on the board, and flies back to its flock to claim victory."

- Scott D. Weitzenhoffer
totally cracked me up, I want it on a t-shirt

Your slightest wish.... Women's - Playing chess with pigeons | Become an Evo-T devotee!

Looky Looky
Old 05-10-2011, 11:30 AM   #1080
Mad Swapper

Awesome and it even comes in pretty colors! Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen Trueman View Post

Blog Paper Rocks!