Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree155Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2011, 07:53 AM   #961
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post
YouTube - Ricky Gervais on Atheism

Another one from Ricky Gervais~
"You can't believe in something you don't."

"If there was a God, why did he make me an atheist?"

Thanks, ladies!!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 01-23-2011, 04:29 PM   #962
This reminds me of a Star Trek episode....

Before DS sent me that video yesterday, I barely knew anything about Ricky Gervais, even tho I'd seen the name a lot.

"Fun must be always." - Tomas Hertl, San Jose Sharks
Old 01-23-2011, 08:51 PM   #963
neglecting the kids and housework

<---has a major dirty crush on Ricky!
Old 01-24-2011, 06:09 PM   #964
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I just received an advertising offer to promote a chocolate company on my blog. I was looking at the company and found that they print scripture on the chocolate wrappers.

Not so much a perfect opportunity for me, I had to pass. It made me chuckle, though!

Also, what about gluttony?
Old 01-25-2011, 07:45 PM   #965
Mad Swapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewsplendidstamper View Post
Well, then you need to see this! I had no idea he was an 80s pop star. I've been a big fan of his since seeing him in the British version of The Office. There are lots of great clips of him on YouTube, but I've never seen this:

Ricky Gervais In Seona Dancing: Star's Forgotten 'Bittersweet' Music Past

Watch both the videos.

"Formed in 1982 during his senior year at University, Gervais and friend Bill Macrae got together to create the band, which would go on to be signed to London Records and release two singles: 'More To Lose' and 'Bittersweet,' the video for which is below. 'Bittersweet' climbed to number 79 on the British charts.

In fact, in 1985, a year after 'Bittersweet' came out, it suddenly climbed to the top of the Filipino charts -- though the DJ who started the trend played it without identifying the group. Gervais, speaking with David Letterman in 2008, said that he was too handsome at the time to get laughs, so getting fat helped him make his fortune."

View My Gallery
Old 01-26-2011, 12:49 AM   #966
Impoverished Gymnastics Mom

Send a message via AIM to charlalei

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily55 View Post
Anybody having any good ideas for celebrating Solstice, please post them here!
I know this isn't timely but since I celelbrate Solstice, I thought I would share.

After dark, Bella and I drive around and look at the christmas lights that people have up. I like the light/dark aspect of it.

Then I have to explain to her again what solstice is (she's 6 and has a hard time with concepts like longer/shorter days). Then we go home and she opens her Solstice present. I usually get her new pajamas and warm socks. Funny enough....she has caught on that her Solstice present is usually PJs but she can't ever remember what a solstice is.

This year she came home with the information that christmas is Jesus' birthday...."or Santa's, I can't remember which, Mom."

I just smiled and said not a word.....
Old 01-26-2011, 01:12 AM   #967

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlalei View Post
I know this isn't timely but since I celelbrate Solstice, I thought I would share.

After dark, Bella and I drive around and look at the christmas lights that people have up. I like the light/dark aspect of it.

Then I have to explain to her again what solstice is (she's 6 and has a hard time with concepts like longer/shorter days). Then we go home and she opens her Solstice present. I usually get her new pajamas and warm socks. Funny enough....she has caught on that her Solstice present is usually PJs but she can't ever remember what a solstice is.

This year she came home with the information that christmas is Jesus' birthday...."or Santa's, I can't remember which, Mom."

I just smiled and said not a word.....
The way the brain develops in children is fascinating!

She sounds so cute, Char.

Old 01-27-2011, 04:56 PM   #968
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Since we're sharing secret dirty crushes, I have one on John Mayer. According to the media he is a creepy jerk, but he has the sexiest voice (and I don't often use that word!). "Daughters" came on the radio on the way home from class, and , well, just ahhh. I have Say on my iPod and I play it twice--everytime. And his version of Human Nature during Michael Jackson's memorial service--amazing.
Old 02-27-2011, 10:21 PM   #969

I just wanted to pop in and say hi.

I attended a funeral mass this month, actually a double funeral. I did NOT burst into flame when I stepped into the church.

It was a nice ceremony, lots of talk by the priest about the deceased having moved on to a new life. It was different for me to hear it and not be a participant. And during the mass, I knew all the responses in my head, but again, just didn't participate. No big deal - I wasn't the only non-Catholic there; as with most funerals, they realize that.

How is everyone else doing?

Old 02-28-2011, 06:37 PM   #970
NwP
Polyshrink Goddess

I went to a baptism yesterday. Same here - no flames. I think the priest was about 15 years old.
Old 02-28-2011, 07:43 PM   #971
Glitter Guru

My mom's rehab center roommate (she spent a few days there in recovery from a knee replacement) watched television evangelists on their shared tv for *hours* each day...

My mom was a very polite atheist and did not ask to watch "The Daily Show". I don't know if I could have been as polite. But on the plus side, Mom was very motivated to work hard in OT/PT so she could come home as fast as possible!
Old 02-28-2011, 07:49 PM   #972
Polyshrink Goddess

I've been reading Charlaine Harris's Southern Vampire series (love vampire stories!) and like them so much I decided to check out the show, True Blood, which is based on the books. Watched the first season this weekend and started season two. I was expecting a hot, wild vampire soap opera, and that is exactly what I got! What I wasn't expecting, but was pleasantly surprised to find, was a satire of fanatical American Christian cults who condemn those who are different. Fabulous!
Old 02-28-2011, 07:56 PM   #973

OMG Barb I love your siggy!

Nothing new here
still keeping busy with the kidlets, fund raising, volunteering, living green as best I can.

Still not believing, trying to roll my eyes less than normal.
Old 03-04-2011, 08:59 PM   #974
Glitter Guru

Default Rock Beyond Belief is cancelled

Rock Beyond Belief

I'm not sure if any of you were aware of or interested in this project, but there was a planned event at the Fort Bragg base "Rock Beyond Belief". After being told they would receive the same support as a previous evangelical Christian event ("Rock the Fort" - see FFRF for more info), the base commander basically made the non-believer event impossible to produce by *not* providing the same logistic and monetary support.

I remember when the evangelical Christian event happened I was really ticked that my tax $$$ went to support an event that was blatantly held to proselytize and add members to local evangelical Christian churches. I remember the stories of soldiers in basic being told they could attend this event or sit in their barracks without leave. I remember that there were military performers and a military-provided kiddy-area with bounce houses. Vendor sites were provided to help cover the costs of the event, etc., etc.

Hopefully the denial of similar concessions to the non-believer event is because the military realized they should not be offering any monetary, logistical, or physical concessions to a particular religious (or non-religious) group.

If not, I see a lawsuit coming soon...
Old 03-04-2011, 11:29 PM   #975

Wow, Alyson.

Christians in this country say they are persecuted. Trying being a non-Christian.

Old 03-05-2011, 09:44 PM   #976
Glitter Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stampin Wrose View Post
Wow, Alyson.

Christians in this country say they are persecuted. Trying being a non-Christian.
Yup.
Old 03-05-2011, 11:00 PM   #977

I have a little question.

How do you respond to people who say things as though they assume you are a Christian? Sometimes no response is the best path. Other times, you might want to respond but you don't want to insult anyone, really.

If you look at my current siggy, do you make any assumption either way about my beliefs?

Old 03-05-2011, 11:26 PM   #978
Mad Swapper

Billboards encouraging life without God to ring I-465 | The Indianapolis Star | indystar.com

I don't participate in this thread but I do check in occasionally and enjoy what you girls have to say. I am originally from Indiana and I thought you might be interested in this:

Billboards encouraging life without God to ring I-465

Written by
Associated Press Filed Under
Communities

A monthlong billboard campaign set to begin in Indianapolis on Monday will tell motorists they "don't need God" to live fulfilling lives.

A secular humanist group, the Center for Inquiry, has bought space on four billboards targeting the Interstate 465 loop around Indianapolis. The Amherst, N.Y.-based group said it selected Indianapolis for its location in the nation's heartland. A similar multimedia ad campaign already has begun in Washington, D.C., and one is set for Houston, the largest city in the Bible Belt.

One of the messages reads: "You don't need God -- to hope, to care, to love, to live."

"With this campaign, we are aiming to dispel some myths about the nonreligious," Ronald Lindsay, the center's president, said in a statement. "One common myth is that the nonreligious lead empty, meaningless, selfish, self-centered lives. This is not only false, it's ridiculous. Unfortunately, all too many people accept this myth because that's what they hear about nonbelievers."

The center says that about 16 percent of Americans have no religious affiliation, according to the American Religious Identification Survey, and about 10 percent reject belief in God, based on surveys conducted in association with the Pew Forum on Religion and Public Life.

The Center for Inquiry says it wants to reach out to the non-religious in a positive way.

"We're not trying to get other people to give up their religion. We're just saying that there's a misunderstanding that some people think if you're not religious, you can't even be a good person," the center's Indiana director, Reba Boyd Wooden, told WTHR (Channel 13), The Star's news-gathering partner.

Edward Wheeler, president of Christian Theological Seminary in Indianapolis, said he disagreed with the message but that people who believe in God should accept others' opinions.

"Part of what allows us to get our message across is the freedom to allow other people to have their messages across," Wheeler told WRTV-TV.

At New Harmony General Baptist Church on Indianapolis' south side, not far from one of the billboard sites, Courine Lyles said she disagreed that a person could live a fulfilling life without God.

"If I believed that message, I wouldn't be sitting in church right now," Lyles told WTHR.

Fellow church Mark Graves said the ad campaign was "a crying shame for the religious world."

"Our nation's supposed to be founded under God and you got people trying to take it away," Graves said.

The title of this is strongly misleading, but not really a surprise . The billboards are not encouraging life without God, they are just saying that non-believers are good people too.
Old 03-07-2011, 02:13 PM   #979
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

How do you respond to people who say things as though they assume you are a Christian? Sometimes no response is the best path. Other times, you might want to respond but you don't want to insult anyone, really.

If you look at my current siggy, do you make any assumption either way about my beliefs?
I'm still working up the courage to email my friend who prayed for my son. I think she'll be ok with it, but I'm still concerned. I'll let you know how that goes.

When someone assumes I'm Christian, I always want to say something, not sarcastic, but something.

Your sig line says you are a thinking person. I don't think it necessarily casts you as atheist but it sure opens the window for some conversations. Have you had anyone PM you about it?
Old 03-07-2011, 02:18 PM   #980

Quote:
I'm still working up the courage to email my friend who prayed for my son. I think she'll be ok with it, but I'm still concerned. I'll let you know how that goes.

When someone assumes I'm Christian, I always want to say something, not sarcastic, but something.

Your sig line says you are a thinking person. I don't think it necessarily casts you as atheist but it sure opens the window for some conversations. Have you had anyone PM you about it?
No, I haven't, but someone recently commented that I was "blessed" (over something clearly genetic, to me). I wanted to say, then my poor believing brother is not blessed, but his heathen sister is?

Old 03-07-2011, 02:27 PM   #981

Are you trying to say you have bigger boobs than your brother?
*confused*
ROFL

Well I'm the family b itch so I tell people. I figure it wither weeds people out or answers some questions. I recently found out that my neighbors new SIL had a skidoo accident and that lead to his testicular and lung cancer being found and treated. Yes that's incredible but is it divine intervention? (not saying she was telling me it was) I in no way feel that it is. If so then this young very smart man who is a fireman SHOULD NOT have had cancer to start with. You know if divin intervention worked logically then people like Quidalfi (is that spelled right this week?) or Hitler would have had cancer at 25.
Old 03-07-2011, 02:42 PM   #982
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
*confused*
ROFL

Well I'm the family b itch so I tell people. I figure it wither weeds people out or answers some questions. I recently found out that my neighbors new SIL had a skidoo accident and that lead to his testicular and lung cancer being found and treated. Yes that's incredible but is it divine intervention? (not saying she was telling me it was) I in no way feel that it is. If so then this young very smart man who is a fireman SHOULD NOT have had cancer to start with. You know if divin intervention worked logically then people like Quidalfi (is that spelled right this week?) or Hitler would have had cancer at 25.
Yeah! Not much positive divine intervention these days. Couldn't he make the wars end?
Old 03-07-2011, 03:47 PM   #983

Quote:
*confused*
ROFL

If big boobs were a blessing, I wouldn't be on the waiting list for reduction surgery!

No it was something else, oh I remember. Insomnia. My mom has it, got it as she got older, my brother, same thing.

Me? I got my ability to fall asleep anywhere from my dad.

Old 03-07-2011, 03:48 PM   #984

Quote:
Yeah! Not much positive divine intervention these days. Couldn't he make the wars end?
Or let us discover dilithium so we could get off oil, or something....

Old 03-07-2011, 04:51 PM   #985
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Typically, on the first question, I make a non-committal answer then try to change the subject. The people I work with are mostly overtly religious and I am not comfortable discussing atheism with them. I have a co-worker in California who I have talked to about his (and my) lack of belief. Other than that, I don't discuss it with anyone.

As far as your sig line, myself, I would maybe assume you are either a questioning believer or an agnostic, not necessarily an atheist. However, to believers, I would think your sig line suggests your lack of belief.
Old 03-07-2011, 04:56 PM   #986
Glitter Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy'sFancy View Post
Billboards encouraging life without God to ring I-465 | The Indianapolis Star | indystar.com

Edward Wheeler, president of Christian Theological Seminary in Indianapolis, said he disagreed with the message but that people who believe in God should accept others' opinions.

"Part of what allows us to get our message across is the freedom to allow other people to have their messages across," Wheeler told WRTV-TV.
Great story. I would guess the part I bolded is a very radical comment for a seminary president, but perhaps it's a more liberal one.

Last edited by sma499; 03-07-2011 at 04:58 PM.. Reason: Correct Typos
Old 03-07-2011, 04:58 PM   #987
Glitter Guru

Anyone catch the 60 Minutes piece on Christopher Hitchens last night?

It was an excellent profile, IMO, though I did not know he was so gravely ill. He seems like he would be a great person to know in real life.
Old 03-07-2011, 05:37 PM   #988

Quote:
Originally Posted by sma499 View Post
Anyone catch the 60 Minutes piece on Christopher Hitchens last night?

It was an excellent profile, IMO, though I did not know he was so gravely ill. He seems like he would be a great person to know in real life.
Ahhh no, I did not. And it doesn't seem to be "On Demand," unfortunately.

Old 03-07-2011, 05:39 PM   #989
Compulsive Stamper

Default siggy

Quote:

I generally hold my tongue when other clearly assume I am Christian (which I think is an indirect way to seek my confirmation) but I wish I had the fortitude to say what I'm thinking.

Your siggy suggests to me that you are a thinking person who is curious and is open to discuss their beliefs and the beliefs of others without judgement (as I do). However, I live in the bible belt and I suspect that most Christians would consider those words to be inflammatory at best.
Old 03-07-2011, 05:41 PM   #990
Matboard Maniac

This a crafting website. What does this thread have to do with that?
Old 03-07-2011, 05:43 PM   #991
Glitter Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmbutler View Post
About as much as some of the other threads do, like the ones about the Bible or chat threads, etc. You're in the non-stamping forums; if you don't like a thread, don't read it.
Old 03-07-2011, 05:48 PM   #992

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhirrill View Post
I generally hold my tongue when other clearly assume I am Christian (which I think is an indirect way to seek my confirmation) but I wish I had the fortitude to say what I'm thinking.

Your siggy suggests to me that you are a thinking person who is curious and is open to discuss their beliefs and the beliefs of others without judgement (as I do). However, I live in the bible belt and I suspect that most Christians would consider those words to be inflammatory at best.
I do wonder how I'd be acting if I still lived in the Atlanta area. I spent about 7 years then, mid twenties to early thirties. I was a very inactive Catholic there. Now, I'm in one of the most liberal pockets of humanity on the planet, 40 miles from San Francisco!

Old 03-07-2011, 05:50 PM   #993

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmbutler View Post
Have you also complained on the threads about cars, weight loss, birthday parties, etc. or are we just special because we're atheists/agnostics?

Old 03-07-2011, 06:02 PM   #994
Compulsive Stamper

Default Amen

Quote:
Originally Posted by sma499 View Post
About as much as some of the other threads do, like the ones about the Bible or chat threads, etc. You're in the non-stamping forums; if you don't like a thread, don't read it.
Amen to that!
Old 03-07-2011, 06:07 PM   #995

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhirrill View Post
Amen to that!
werd!
Glad I wasn't drinking anything.

Now back to sacrificing virgins and drinking goat blood.....
Old 03-07-2011, 06:07 PM   #996

or was it sacrificing goats and....well I get confused
Old 03-07-2011, 06:07 PM   #997

So does my siggy make you think I'm a Christian?
Old 03-07-2011, 06:14 PM   #998

Quote:
So does my siggy make you think I'm a Christian?
You're giving us all a bad name, or a good name, or ... something....

Old 03-08-2011, 05:18 AM   #999
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

I set them straight right away. Just something direct and blunt, like "Oh, I'm not a Christian." Or "I'm not religious." If I want to soften the impact, I'll add something like "but I can understand why you thought I was one; most people ARE Christians/religious". I never let it go at no response. Well, I guess to a stranger whom I would never see again, I would let it go.

No assumptions about your current siggy.
Old 03-09-2011, 08:48 PM   #1000
Embossing Fanatic

Hmmm, I was just going to mention that we haven't had a "Christian" visitor in quite a while. Seems they just can't leave well enough alone.

Perhaps she will return to clarify her indignity at our posting both non-crafting and non-Christian discussions. Who knew you could even DO that?