Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree138Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2010, 08:58 AM   #561
Pearl-ExPert

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 09-15-2010, 08:59 AM   #562
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickelini View Post
That's funny. My favourite line is: "A spokesman for the Atheist Brotherhood in Australia was quoted as saying: ''We feel strangely unaffected and will seek revenge by raising our eyebrows and shrugging our shoulders"."

Here's something interesting that I came across this morning: Editorial Staff - An audience with the Pope | New Humanist

Apparently the Pope is set to visit the UK (at the cost of 12 million of the tax payers' pounds). This is what some prominent Brits would say to him.
Too bad real journalists don't ask the Pope stuff like that, eh?
Old 09-15-2010, 09:12 AM   #563
Mad Swapper

Great article, thanks!

Blog Paper Rocks!
Old 09-15-2010, 11:00 AM   #564
Polyshrink Goddess

Atheists, who hadn't been expected to come out in pick-up trucks with gun racks on their rear windows and circle his church with their engines revving like goaded Rottweilers, didn't. Yeah for rational, thinking people not prone to zealot behaviors!

And I love the fact that the incendiary was 'moonshine'. Pastor Jones would have been more productive by having a belt or two of moonshine and a good read .
Old 09-16-2010, 12:11 AM   #565
Glitter Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickelini View Post
That's funny. My favourite line is: "A spokesman for the Atheist Brotherhood in Australia was quoted as saying: ''We feel strangely unaffected and will seek revenge by raising our eyebrows and shrugging our shoulders"."
I think that was my favorite line, too.

I have mixed feelings about the proposed Koran (I can never remember where to put the apostrophes in the Q version) burning and the similarly provoking, yet IMO not as ill-intentioned "Draw Mohammed Day" (Everybody Draw Mohammed Day - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia). Both actions are allowable under US law, yet both have the potential to further radicalize Muslims who are leaning that way anyway, or to offend Muslims who have no radical tendencies.

As an atheist/humanist who doesn't think there's anything sacred about either a book or drawing a historical figure (even if no one knows what he looked like - my favorites were the stick figures), all the fuss seems silly. Yet I hate it when conservative groups burn books they think shouldn't be in schools or libraries.

So I guess I can justify my antipathy toward burning the Koran by relating it to my antipathy toward burning any book that offends people: books are to be read, not burned. And I guess even though I think the idea of drawing Mohammed should not be offensive (because I find that particular sacredness silly), I can justify not doing it out of respect for other people's beliefs, which is something I always want to have (do unto others...).

But I do think it's the part of religion that I have the most trouble with - respecting the feelings of people who hold things sacred that I don't. But I can still be nice, because I want them to respect my feelings, too

(addendum: that doesn't keep me from being happy when a "kiss-in" featuring homosexual couples is held at a college whenever a particular anti-gay street preacher comes to visit, or cheering when Phelps' church is kept from troubling people at a funeral. I respect their feelings, but they make no attempt to respect anyone else's - boo to them)

Last edited by AlysonRR; 09-16-2010 at 12:14 AM..
Old 09-16-2010, 12:44 AM   #566
Die Cut Diva

My feeling is that Pastor Jones should have been laughed at, not taken seriously. The single most powerful force for social change is not protest but laughter.
Stephanie
Old 09-16-2010, 06:15 AM   #567
Glitter Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkes View Post
The single most powerful force for social change is not protest but laughter.
Should be a bumper sticker! Good thought.
Old 09-16-2010, 08:27 AM   #568
Inking Addict

"The single most powerful force for social change is not protest but laughter."

True in so many cases! Not sure we can laugh our way through all civil rights issues...

And sometimes what we need to change in society causes so many tears we can't muster up much laughter.

But laughter is definitely a powerful force - Archie Bunker and others are proof.

http://blinkthinkink.blogspot.com
Old 09-17-2010, 04:32 PM   #569
Glitter Guru

Fave line: "Leading atheists called for calm … and atheists everywhere delivered it, showing themselves to be compliant minions"

If I ever get to pick my own SCS title, I will be "Compliant Minion"
Old 09-17-2010, 04:40 PM   #570
neglecting the kids and housework

Patience young padawan...simply forgo all meaningful real life interaction and post post post LOL
Old 09-17-2010, 05:06 PM   #571
Glitter Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewsplendidstamper View Post
Patience young padawan...simply forgo all meaningful real life interaction and post post post LOL
You're right . . . I really should spend more time on SCS!
Old 09-17-2010, 05:40 PM   #572
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampinmutt View Post

Not sure we can laugh our way through all civil rights issues...

And sometimes what we need to change in society causes so many tears we can't muster up much laughter.
You are right here. I was a bit sweeping in my comment. I was thinking of laughter more as a sign of derision rather than humour. Protests can often steel an antagonist's resolve, but they perceive themselves as being ridiculous - well, no one likes to lose face.
Stephanie
Old 09-17-2010, 05:45 PM   #573

Quote:
Originally Posted by sma499 View Post
You're right . . . I really should spend more time on SCS!
shouldn't we all?
Old 09-17-2010, 06:40 PM   #574
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
The single most powerful force for social change is not protest but laughter.
Stephanie
This is exactly why I love Jon Stewart, Stephen Colbert, and Bill Maher so much. They are hilariously full of what I see as truth, but make light of the crazy intensity sweeping our country from the right. I love the idea of a million moderates march (see here) and would really think about going if it weren't Oct. 30. Being a good heathen I must celebrate Halloween!
Old 09-17-2010, 07:28 PM   #575
Glitter Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bksjones View Post
TI love the idea of a million moderates march (see here) and would really think about going if it weren't Oct. 30.
Makes me wish I still lived in MD - I'd definitely go to those rallys!
Old 09-21-2010, 07:40 AM   #576
Pearl-ExPert

Default Banner Ad

Love the "Catholic Books Megasale" banner ad as I caught up on A&A! Cookies and website ads are weird things some times.
Old 09-21-2010, 06:37 PM   #577
Polyshrink Goddess

Sharon, hilarious that your avatar is now a minion!
Old 09-21-2010, 06:53 PM   #578
Polyshrink Goddess

Yesterday one of my yahoo home page stories was about a "Pray for Hitchens" day, discussing a day that people are supposed to (ironically) pray for atheist author Christopher Hitchens, who is battling terminal cancer. Well, I did not know about his work and the last "atheist" book I tried to read was The God Delusion which was just above me and too sciency () so I never made it through. But I thought that the title..well, the subtitle...of Hitchens's most "famous" work was great (God is not great: how religion poisons everything) so I checked the audio book out of my library. I "read" the first disc on my way to and from worok today and it is great!

Here is today's epiphany: I don't know if there is a god or not, and I really don't care. It does not impact my everyday life either way. I am a good, caring person trying to be better everyday, because of the people in my life, not because of a cosmic "maybe". However, religion is a bad, bad thing. It is interesting believers' fear and loathing of atheists and the assumption that atheists have no morals and are evil, but how many atheist wars have there been? How many genocides in the name of non-belief? How many groups of people have been opressed and suppressed because their atheist dogma said so?
Old 09-23-2010, 06:56 PM   #579
Glitter Guru

If anyone is planning to go to the Million Moderate March in DC (there are now other rallies planned in other cities), there will be a pre-event party hosted by the American Humanist Association: American Humanist Association Info | Facebook
Old 09-24-2010, 11:07 AM   #580
Glitter Guru

Hey, if any of you have artsy kids age 4-12, there's a kid's art contest at Charlie's Playhouse: Evolution and Art Contest - About - Charlie's Playhouse It's a really cool concept. They're supposed to imagine an extant animal species is plopped onto an island, then illustrate what adaptations that species made over a long period of time.

This is the kind of thing my daughter really enjoys. She's already planning her drawing around the pink fairy armadillo, and her island has no ants and no predators - I'm interested to see what the evolved critter looks like
Old 09-26-2010, 09:48 PM   #581
Polyshrink Goddess

Default Religious beliefs = get out of jail free?

I'm watching the first show of 'Sister Wives' (yes, I'm a TV *****!). I'm so flummoxed by the whole concept of plural marriage. How is it not just a man wanting to have his cake and eat it too??? So though I don't agree w/ it, I can understand the mans point of view. But what the heck is wrong w/ those women??? They believe their god wants a man to have several wives? Ug. Common sense would rule that out. I thought bigamy was illegal, yet this TV show exists. Crazy.
Old 09-27-2010, 04:56 AM   #582
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by virtualyvonne View Post
I'm watching the first show of 'Sister Wives' (yes, I'm a TV *****!). I'm so flummoxed by the whole concept of plural marriage. How is it not just a man wanting to have his cake and eat it too??? So though I don't agree w/ it, I can understand the mans point of view. But what the heck is wrong w/ those women??? They believe their god wants a man to have several wives? Ug. Common sense would rule that out. I thought bigamy was illegal, yet this TV show exists. Crazy.
I wondered about the illegal part myself although I have read that parts of some western states have just sort of ignored the existence of these families. I suppose the women might have been raised that way themselves so they see nothing unusual?

Also, I know of some women whose husbands are ok with them having other partners - polyamory. Had never heard the term until a year ago.
Old 09-27-2010, 07:05 AM   #583
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily55 View Post
Also, I know of some women whose husbands are ok with them having other partners - polyamory. Had never heard the term until a year ago.
I know two women who went along with this idea. They're both divorced now. Just sayin'. (One of them even let hubby's barely-out-of-her-teens "friend" move in with them and their three young sons.)

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing it is stupid. - Albert Einstein
Old 09-27-2010, 08:02 AM   #584
Polyshrink Goddess

From what little I've read polyamory is touted as a different lifestyle choice, not a religion. But thinking back to last nights 'Sister Wives' I don't think there was any mention of their polygamy being religion based. I think I just assumed polygamy equaled morman. My bad. Dang, I hate it when I jump to conclusions and then post them!
Old 09-27-2010, 02:02 PM   #585

So today after taking my younger son to preschool, my older son to kindergarten, myself to get my TB test read, then myself back to kinder school to volunteer, then me and the big boy to lunch, then to preschool to get the little one we're almost home (sigh...exhausted much?) and in front of me the car has a license plate border that reads something to the extent of "If you're living like there's no God you better be right"

Really?
like you mean how I volunteer, fundraise, PTA, recycle, reduce , reuse, help my neighbors, smile at strangers, live within my means and support my community?

No that's not what you mean is it? Yeah I didn't think so

YES I'm angered by it. I don't know why I took it to heart but I'm so hurt that people would think so little of me simply because I don't buy into the story that they do.
Old 09-27-2010, 03:10 PM   #586
Directionally Challenged Parrothead

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlysonRR View Post
If anyone is planning to go to the Million Moderate March in DC (there are now other rallies planned in other cities), there will be a pre-event party hosted by the American Humanist Association: American Humanist Association Info | Facebook
I'm trying to talk DH into it...
Old 09-29-2010, 12:45 PM   #587
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by virtualyvonne View Post
From what little I've read polyamory is touted as a different lifestyle choice, not a religion. But thinking back to last nights 'Sister Wives' I don't think there was any mention of their polygamy being religion based. I think I just assumed polygamy equaled morman. My bad. Dang, I hate it when I jump to conclusions and then post them!
I saw them on the today show and they said it was based on their faith. Also, generally, the first marriage is the only one that is legally recognized. The subsequent "marriages" are not legal anywhere in the United States. This is one of the arguments against gay marriage. Opponents claim that if we legalize gay marriage that will open the door to all kinds of marriage choices, like polygamy and people marrying their pets and plants.
Old 09-29-2010, 12:48 PM   #588

Sometimes when I talk to my hubby it's like being married to a plant
Old 09-29-2010, 01:58 PM   #589
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
<guffaw>

This was the first thing I saw as I opened this thread from my email and I let out a squawk of laughter.
Old 09-29-2010, 02:02 PM   #590

He keeps telling me to leaf him alone
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Old 09-29-2010, 02:22 PM   #591
Stazon Splitcoast

<giggle> Victoria, you are so silly.
Old 09-29-2010, 02:50 PM   #592
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
He keeps telling me to leaf him alone
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Clearly he feels nettled by you (sorry - couldn't resist!)

Stephanie
Old 09-29-2010, 02:54 PM   #593

I was stalking him trying to get him to talk so we could get to the root of the problem and let our love bloom

*HAHA take that!
Old 09-29-2010, 03:13 PM   #594
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
I was stalking him trying to get him to talk so we could get to the root of the problem and let our love bloom

*HAHA take that!
I acknowledge defeat, and crown you the head of DBP (dreadful botanical puns!)

Has anyone seen this survey? Below is a New Zealand link although the survey was done in the US.
Atheists top religious knowledge survey | Stuff.co.nz

Stephanie
Old 09-29-2010, 03:19 PM   #595

I saw a link about it in CE. I missed 2 on the quiz. I found it more of a "I paid attention in school" quiz than a religious teaching quiz. Heck I even took a world religions course in college...about 14 years after I knew I didnt' believe in God.
Old 09-29-2010, 04:43 PM   #596
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Perfect! Absoutely perfect!
Old 09-29-2010, 04:45 PM   #597
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

*HAHA take that!
...and then it all went downhill.
Old 09-29-2010, 04:55 PM   #598
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
YES I'm angered by it. I don't know why I took it to heart but I'm so hurt that people would think so little of me simply because I don't buy into the story that they do.
I've really been avoiding doing my homework lately and have been reading lots about atheism and religion, and it has led me to many insights and "ahas" about faith and about myself. It seems to me that many people of faith are deep down so afraid that if they acknowledge that there is a glimmer of untruth in their stories, then they will have to start questioning all of it. It's just easier to try and convert all non-believers than to admit that they do not have all the answers.

I realize that this is a gross generalization, but so was that bumper sticker!
Old 09-29-2010, 05:55 PM   #599

Quote:
Originally Posted by bksjones View Post
...and then it all went downhill.
yeah DH decided he just wants to be fronds

*seriously it's a gift
Old 09-29-2010, 05:58 PM   #600
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Has anyone seen this survey? Below is a New Zealand link although the survey was done in the US.
Atheists top religious knowledge survey | Stuff.co.nz

Stephanie
I think it is so interesting that people know so little about their own religions, although I am not surprised that they don't know other religions. I took the quiz and got them all right, although I guessed on the one about the Great Awakening...I do not know what that is, but I am sure going to look it up.

I think in the US we generally know lots about Christianity and a bit about Judaism, but very little about Eastern religions (is Islam an Eastern religion?). I have explained to two different people in the past six months that the fat, happy Buddha is not an image of the original Buddha...they both had no idea that the thin meditating statues with pointy heads were even buddhas. In college Western Civilization was a requirement, but Eastern Civilization was an elective.