In the Forums

Register

Today's Posts

Search


Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter





Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads


 
Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree284Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2010, 05:57 PM   #481
neglecting the kids and housework
 
sewsplendidstamper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Fund raising
Posts: 62,033
Default

wadIdo?
__________________
Victoria
~Made of awesome
~Bras For The Cause
sewsplendidstamper is online now  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 07:28 PM   #482
Pearl-ExPert
 
tigerlily55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 2,766
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewsplendidstamper View Post
wadIdo?
See post 438 and 439
__________________
Martha

tigerlily55 is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 07:29 PM   #483
Impoverished Gymnastics Mom
 
charlalei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Frankfort, KY
Posts: 21,946
Send a message via AIM to charlalei
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily55 View Post
See post 438 and 439
If she wouldn't drink so heavily she wouldn't have these memory lapses.
__________________
Proud Mom to an 9YO Level 7 gymnast
charlalei is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 07:33 PM   #484
Pearl-ExPert
 
tigerlily55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 2,766
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlalei View Post
If she wouldn't drink so heavily she wouldn't have these memory lapses.
__________________
Martha

tigerlily55 is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 07:43 PM   #485
Pearl-ExPert
 
tigerlily55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 2,766
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stampin Wrose View Post
I love how Barker discusses the "probability" theory - when theists say "but what are the odds that this earth would have developed this way" etc. He pointed out that it's like a lottery winner saying (and I quote from his book), "It was highly unlikely that out of the millions of entrants I could have picked the right ticket, therefore someone must have caused me to win."

Indeed while it is highly unlikely for any one person to win, it is not at all unlikely that nobody will win.

I'm really enjoying the book. It's making me exercise my brain.
Reading about skepticism and atheism has brought back Philosphy 101, rhetoric and logical fallacies. Note: some folks do not like being told that their argument is for example an "argument from authority, "It's always been that way", so it's not a valid argument. They don't like hearing, "that's a straw man argument" and not logical when they make a "fact" about science and then pretend to refute (or refudiate?) the argument.

The think that's worrisome is people are getting their science education from their ministers and their history lessons from Glenn Beck!
__________________
Martha

tigerlily55 is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 07:58 PM   #486
neglecting the kids and housework
 
sewsplendidstamper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Fund raising
Posts: 62,033
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily55 View Post
Tis true. I have FIVE glasses of ice water today...can you believe?
__________________
Victoria
~Made of awesome
~Bras For The Cause
sewsplendidstamper is online now  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 07:59 PM   #487
neglecting the kids and housework
 
sewsplendidstamper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Fund raising
Posts: 62,033
Default

is it wrong that the word fallacy makes me giggle?
__________________
Victoria
~Made of awesome
~Bras For The Cause
sewsplendidstamper is online now  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 07:59 PM   #488
neglecting the kids and housework
 
sewsplendidstamper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Fund raising
Posts: 62,033
Default

So my big kid starts school tomorrow. Can't wait to start teaching him evolution
__________________
Victoria
~Made of awesome
~Bras For The Cause
sewsplendidstamper is online now  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 08:47 PM   #489
Pearl-ExPert
 
tigerlily55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 2,766
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewsplendidstamper View Post
Tis true. I have FIVE glasses of ice water today...can you believe?
They have a support group for that!
__________________
Martha

tigerlily55 is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 08:48 PM   #490
Pearl-ExPert
 
tigerlily55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 2,766
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewsplendidstamper View Post
is it wrong that the word fallacy makes me giggle?
It can't be wrong! Atheists have no morals, remember?
__________________
Martha

tigerlily55 is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 08:49 PM   #491
Pearl-ExPert
 
tigerlily55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 2,766
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewsplendidstamper View Post
So my big kid starts school tomorrow. Can't wait to start teaching him evolution
Congrats to the big kid! I think there's a child's version of Richard Dawkins available....
__________________
Martha

tigerlily55 is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 10:49 PM   #492
This reminds me of a Star Trek episode....
 
Stampin Wrose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Aboard the Enterprise, watching NCIS reruns!
Posts: 101,526
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlalei View Post
If she wouldn't drink so heavily she wouldn't have these memory lapses.
Bwa ha ha ha ha
__________________
Kathy Wrose

"Fun must be always." - Tomas Hertl, San Jose Sharks
Stampin Wrose is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 10:51 PM   #493
This reminds me of a Star Trek episode....
 
Stampin Wrose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Aboard the Enterprise, watching NCIS reruns!
Posts: 101,526
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily55 View Post
Reading about skepticism and atheism has brought back Philosphy 101, rhetoric and logical fallacies. Note: some folks do not like being told that their argument is for example an "argument from authority, "It's always been that way", so it's not a valid argument. They don't like hearing, "that's a straw man argument" and not logical when they make a "fact" about science and then pretend to refute (or refudiate?) the argument.

The think that's worrisome is people are getting their science education from their ministers and their history lessons from Glenn Beck!
There are a lot of people who are not learning critical thinking skills.

And most never get any education in logic or debate. I still have a bunch of my books from my college philosophy classes - required at a Jesuit University.

But they can tell you who won American Idol every year.
__________________
Kathy Wrose

"Fun must be always." - Tomas Hertl, San Jose Sharks
Stampin Wrose is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 11:02 AM   #494
Pearl-ExPert
 
tigerlily55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 2,766
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stampin Wrose View Post
There are a lot of people who are not learning critical thinking skills.

And most never get any education in logic or debate. I still have a bunch of my books from my college philosophy classes - required at a Jesuit University.

But they can tell you who won American Idol every year.
I went to Marquette, another Jesuit institution.
__________________
Martha

tigerlily55 is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 11:06 AM   #495
Pearl-ExPert
 
tigerlily55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 2,766
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubberTrucker View Post
Oh, I'm *glad* I found this thread. I was beginning to think everyone at SCS was "Bible-believing Xtian"!! Whew!!!
Welcome Rubber Trucker! I felt the same way when I joined SCS. Yes, we have our own little godless corner of the world. Sometimes a stray Xtian wanders in and delivers a blistering comment about how shocked they are that this thread even exists but we just tell them to go away and they usually do.

Hope to see you here often!
__________________
Martha

tigerlily55 is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 12:28 PM   #496
Hardware Hotshot
 
parkes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 4,345
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubberTrucker View Post
Oh, I'm *glad* I found this thread. I was beginning to think everyone at SCS was "Bible-believing Xtian"!! Whew!!!
Hi and welcome from me too! I found this thread by accident and am just so grateful for a bit of sanity. Hope to hear from you again.
Stephanie
__________________
To live a creative life, we must lose our fear of being wrong. Joseph Chilton Pearce
my gallery
parkes is online now  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 12:41 PM   #497
neglecting the kids and housework
 
sewsplendidstamper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Fund raising
Posts: 62,033
Default

Wait waitwait...sanity? Oops I'm in the wrong thread
__________________
Victoria
~Made of awesome
~Bras For The Cause
sewsplendidstamper is online now  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 12:45 PM   #498
Hardware Hotshot
 
parkes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 4,345
Default

No, no don't go! I need you all!
Stephanie
__________________
To live a creative life, we must lose our fear of being wrong. Joseph Chilton Pearce
my gallery
parkes is online now  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 12:47 PM   #499
neglecting the kids and housework
 
sewsplendidstamper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Fund raising
Posts: 62,033
Default

I've got two very emotional kids here adjusting to kindergarten and being "alone" at preschool. I just walked by a mirror and my hair is crazy! I'm exhausted. The kids are pushing all the boundaries today. Sorry, you aren't gonna get sane from me this week LOL
__________________
Victoria
~Made of awesome
~Bras For The Cause
sewsplendidstamper is online now  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 01:06 PM   #500
Hardware Hotshot
 
parkes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 4,345
Default

Hmmm yes, I do see your point! Okay, you can have this week off!
Stephanie
__________________
To live a creative life, we must lose our fear of being wrong. Joseph Chilton Pearce
my gallery
parkes is online now  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 02:16 PM   #501
This reminds me of a Star Trek episode....
 
Stampin Wrose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Aboard the Enterprise, watching NCIS reruns!
Posts: 101,526
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewsplendidstamper View Post
I've got two very emotional kids here adjusting to kindergarten and being "alone" at preschool. I just walked by a mirror and my hair is crazy! I'm exhausted. The kids are pushing all the boundaries today. Sorry, you aren't gonna get sane from me this week LOL
Not to mention, it's 106°F in my back yard right now.
__________________
Kathy Wrose

"Fun must be always." - Tomas Hertl, San Jose Sharks
Stampin Wrose is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 02:17 PM   #502
This reminds me of a Star Trek episode....
 
Stampin Wrose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Aboard the Enterprise, watching NCIS reruns!
Posts: 101,526
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubberTrucker View Post
Oh, I'm *glad* I found this thread. I was beginning to think everyone at SCS was "Bible-believing Xtian"!! Whew!!!
Welcome!! Hope you enjoy our little corner!
__________________
Kathy Wrose

"Fun must be always." - Tomas Hertl, San Jose Sharks
Stampin Wrose is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 02:21 PM   #503
This reminds me of a Star Trek episode....
 
Stampin Wrose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Aboard the Enterprise, watching NCIS reruns!
Posts: 101,526
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily55 View Post
I went to Marquette, another Jesuit institution.
LOL! They did teach us to think!!!
__________________
Kathy Wrose

"Fun must be always." - Tomas Hertl, San Jose Sharks
Stampin Wrose is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 08:45 PM   #504
Mad Swapper
 
nickelini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 1,755
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily55 View Post
Reading about skepticism and atheism has brought back Philosphy 101, rhetoric and logical fallacies. Note: some folks do not like being told that their argument is for example an "argument from authority, "It's always been that way", so it's not a valid argument. They don't like hearing, "that's a straw man argument" and not logical when they make a "fact" about science and then pretend to refute (or refudiate?) the argument.

The think that's worrisome is people are getting their science education from their ministers and their history lessons from Glenn Beck!
Sigh ....your post is like a long, cool drink of water. Thank you. There are way too many people around here (well, not this particular thread, but SST in general) who think a good argument is the one that says what they think using the best words. Ah, no, that can still get you a D in philosophy 101. I see the straw man argument used so often over on CE that I think some people are married to him. This is a nice little corner of the internet . . .
__________________
~ Children nowadays are tyrants. They contradict their parents, gobble their food and tyrannize their teachers ~
(attributed to Socrates 470-399 BC)

View My Gallery
nickelini is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 06:07 AM   #505
Pearl-ExPert
 
tigerlily55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 2,766
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickelini View Post
Sigh ....your post is like a long, cool drink of water. Thank you. There are way too many people around here (well, not this particular thread, but SST in general) who think a good argument is the one that says what they think using the best words. Ah, no, that can still get you a D in philosophy 101. I see the straw man argument used so often over on CE that I think some people are married to him. This is a nice little corner of the internet . . .
Ack! I just realized I should have said "it's always been that way" is an argument from tradition, not from authority. But you knew what I
meant.
__________________
Martha

tigerlily55 is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 08:49 AM   #506
Mad Swapper
 
nickelini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 1,755
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily55 View Post
Ack! I just realized I should have said "it's always been that way" is an argument from tradition, not from authority. But you knew what I
meant.
Tradition, authority -- we see them all misused!
__________________
~ Children nowadays are tyrants. They contradict their parents, gobble their food and tyrannize their teachers ~
(attributed to Socrates 470-399 BC)

View My Gallery
nickelini is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 05:35 PM   #507
This reminds me of a Star Trek episode....
 
Stampin Wrose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Aboard the Enterprise, watching NCIS reruns!
Posts: 101,526
Default

It is nice to have this thread to come to.
__________________
Kathy Wrose

"Fun must be always." - Tomas Hertl, San Jose Sharks
Stampin Wrose is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 05:52 PM   #508
Embossing Fanatic
 
pattylt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Colorado
Posts: 52
Default

I never took a philosophy class and I completely regret it. I have, however, learned a tremendous amount by self study and joining in debate type forums (fora?). Anyone can learn to think rationally and critically if they are willing to spend some time at it. It isn't as hard as I thought it would be and is much more fun than most TV reality shows. What gets hard is coming to a social forum and biting my tongue (fingers?) to not point out all the fallacies!

Welcome Rubber Trucker. Jump in! The water's lovely here.
pattylt is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 08:49 PM   #509
Insane Embellisher
 
Mrs.Q's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: In the good ole' U.S. of A.!
Posts: 985
Default

Hello ladies, just poking my head in to say "hi". I've been following this discussion for quite some time now and think it's great! So I finally decided to check in just in case I ever get brave enough to post here, then I won't be a total stranger!
Mrs.Q is online now  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 08:51 PM   #510
This reminds me of a Star Trek episode....
 
Stampin Wrose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Aboard the Enterprise, watching NCIS reruns!
Posts: 101,526
Default

Welcome, Mrs. Q.!!! Are you on my coast (West) or just another late nighter??

I'm always ratting around looking to chat late at night!!!
__________________
Kathy Wrose

"Fun must be always." - Tomas Hertl, San Jose Sharks
Stampin Wrose is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 08:54 PM   #511
Hardware Hotshot
 
parkes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 4,345
Default

Hi Mrs. Q, pleased to make your acquaintance! Do chip in any time you feel moved to. I am from New Zealand so have a few more daylight hours after the US has gone to sleep!
Stephanie
__________________
To live a creative life, we must lose our fear of being wrong. Joseph Chilton Pearce
my gallery
parkes is online now  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 09:10 PM   #512
This reminds me of a Star Trek episode....
 
Stampin Wrose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Aboard the Enterprise, watching NCIS reruns!
Posts: 101,526
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkes View Post
Hi Mrs. Q, pleased to make your acquaintance! Do chip in any time you feel moved to. I am from New Zealand so have a few more daylight hours after the US has gone to sleep!
Stephanie
Yeah I have to stay up really late to keep up with you!!!
__________________
Kathy Wrose

"Fun must be always." - Tomas Hertl, San Jose Sharks
Stampin Wrose is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 09:30 PM   #513
Insane Embellisher
 
Mrs.Q's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: In the good ole' U.S. of A.!
Posts: 985
Default

Thanks for the quick welcome! I am here on the West coast. It's getting late, but I'm a night owl!
Mrs.Q is online now  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 09:33 PM   #514
Polyshrink Goddess
 
virtualyvonne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Olympia, WA
Posts: 701
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stampin Wrose View Post
There are a lot of people who are not learning critical thinking skills.

And most never get any education in logic or debate. I still have a bunch of my books from my college philosophy classes - required at a Jesuit University.

But they can tell you who won American Idol every year.
I SO love and appreciate this thread but this is why I don’t post here very often – I don’t make use of ‘critical thinking skills’. I went to private christian school – logic and debate were certainly not encouraged much less taught! I lead w/ my heart on my sleeve and an anger for all the cruelty and suffering in the world. And total frustration w/ anyone who believes in a smug, happy god lounging on a cloud randomly handing out said cruelty and suffering.

But I have no idea who has ever won American Idol!

I will not budge on the fat man in the red suit though. Hey, a girls got to believe in something!
__________________
It's all fun & games until someone gets a paper cut.
virtualyvonne is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 09:46 PM   #515
This reminds me of a Star Trek episode....
 
Stampin Wrose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Aboard the Enterprise, watching NCIS reruns!
Posts: 101,526
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.Q View Post
Thanks for the quick welcome! I am here on the West coast. It's getting late, but I'm a night owl!
I'm a night owl too, in fact, I have on occasion crossed paths with a friend on the east coast who's up early.

That's always weird. LOL!!!!
__________________
Kathy Wrose

"Fun must be always." - Tomas Hertl, San Jose Sharks
Stampin Wrose is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 09:55 PM   #516
This reminds me of a Star Trek episode....
 
Stampin Wrose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Aboard the Enterprise, watching NCIS reruns!
Posts: 101,526
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by virtualyvonne View Post
I SO love and appreciate this thread but this is why I don’t post here very often – I don’t make use of ‘critical thinking skills’. I went to private christian school – logic and debate were certainly not encouraged much less taught! I lead w/ my heart on my sleeve and an anger for all the cruelty and suffering in the world. And total frustration w/ anyone who believes in a smug, happy god lounging on a cloud randomly handing out said cruelty and suffering.

But I have no idea who has ever won American Idol!

I will not budge on the fat man in the red suit though. Hey, a girls got to believe in something!
Awwww!! Well logic and debate shouldn't be necessary at all times, especially here, but it does come in handy in CE. I never had any debate training. Not my thing.

Let's see, I had a Jesuit University education and while they didn't focus on logic or debate, they did make us think. And sometimes, that's all you need. We all know really shallow people, right? I have some wonderful friends who are just not deep thinkers. And that's okay too.

I think I got my of my logic thinking from watching Star Trek. Never got into the original series, but the ones after it....

So whatever provokes your mind, whatever tickles your brain, is good.

Oh and I have an atheist friend who's extremely well-educated, well traveled, and very smart. She doesn't know much at all about atheist authors or their thoughts or anything. She said she never bothered, she's ALWAYS been an atheist and has no need or urge to read about it or anything. I found that fascinating.


And if you want to believe in that fat guy, ha ha ha, he's all yours. LOL!!! You are so funny.
__________________
Kathy Wrose

"Fun must be always." - Tomas Hertl, San Jose Sharks
Stampin Wrose is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 07:52 AM   #517
Stazon Splitcoast
 
SophieLaFontaine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: my heart remains in France
Posts: 21,707
Default

I dunno anything about philosophy or atheist authors either. I DID read "Sophie's World" (??) just because it had "Sophie" in the title. But I don't remember much of it. My atheist brother has tried to get me interested in his atheist authors and atheist videos on Youtube and such. But really, the Bible is the only thing I needed to read to decide NEVER to worship God even if he's real (I'm technically not an atheist; just an agnostic who doesn't care whether there really is a god or not). That book there got me all bent out of shape and convinced me NEVER again to have anything whatsoever to do with Christianity if I could help it.

I used to debate Christians a lot (and used a bit of logic there) but that was just to work through the self-loathing that had built up during years and years of being a hypocrite (pretending to be a Christian). I used to spend HOURS composing novel-length "response" emails to brave family members who USED to try to convert me. I remember once, a co-worker invited me to her church and I went, BUT I took notes at the sermon, went home, refuted each point the pastor made, and printed out maybe five pages (single-spaced!) worth of arguments against what her pastor said. I tell ya, I wasted SO. MUCH. TIME. <sigh>

Mostly, I'm through with debate. The therapeutic power of debate is no longer necessary for me.
__________________
Thank you all so much for all the cards for SCS member Ladybug91743 Marie-alice. She is recovering nicely from surgery now. She loves the cards!!
SophieLaFontaine is online now  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 07:59 AM   #518
neglecting the kids and housework
 
sewsplendidstamper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Fund raising
Posts: 62,033
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stampin Wrose View Post
Welcome, Mrs. Q.!!! Are you on my coast (West) or just another late nighter??

I'm always ratting around looking to chat late at night!!!
sometimes she's rattling too

Hey there. Welcome. Pop on in whenever the mood strikes
__________________
Victoria
~Made of awesome
~Bras For The Cause
sewsplendidstamper is online now  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 12:35 PM   #519
This reminds me of a Star Trek episode....
 
Stampin Wrose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Aboard the Enterprise, watching NCIS reruns!
Posts: 101,526
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewsplendidstamper View Post
sometimes she's rattling too

Hey there. Welcome. Pop on in whenever the mood strikes
Bwa ha ha ha ha

Yeah I really should remember to wear my computer glasses when I sit here, I might catch more typos.
__________________
Kathy Wrose

"Fun must be always." - Tomas Hertl, San Jose Sharks
Stampin Wrose is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 07:48 AM   #520
Mad Swapper
 
nickelini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 1,755
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLaFontaine View Post

I used to debate Christians a lot (and used a bit of logic there) but that was just to work through the self-loathing that had built up during years and years of being a hypocrite (pretending to be a Christian). I used to spend HOURS composing novel-length "response" emails to brave family members who USED to try to convert me. I remember once, a co-worker invited me to her church and I went, BUT I took notes at the sermon, went home, refuted each point the pastor made, and printed out maybe five pages (single-spaced!) worth of arguments against what her pastor said. I tell ya, I wasted SO. MUCH. TIME. <sigh>

Mostly, I'm through with debate. The therapeutic power of debate is no longer necessary for me.
Sophie - I hope you're not being too hard on yourself over the so-called wasted time. This was probably a healthy and helpful process that was needed for your development. I think those inner debates can be quite important for figuring out what exactly we believe or don't believe, and why. It sounds like you recognized when you reached the "enough!" point and no longer need visit those thoughts. But I suspect that it was an important activity for your growth. Because you've come through it, you might look back on it as a waste of time, but I'm sure it was important at the time.

Or not--hey, I don't know you, after all. But I recognize that behaviour in myself, and for a while I scolded myself for being "angry." But after more reflection, I realized it wasn't anger so much as passion. And I like passion!

At least we're thinking and not just brain-dead sheep-following-types.
__________________
~ Children nowadays are tyrants. They contradict their parents, gobble their food and tyrannize their teachers ~
(attributed to Socrates 470-399 BC)

View My Gallery
nickelini is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Reply





Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off