Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree207Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2010, 06:41 PM   #361
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stampin Wrose View Post
Hey Sharon, you were gone for awhile! Glad to see you back!
Thanks! I'm glad to be back too.
Old 04-27-2010, 04:12 PM   #362
Hardware Hotshot

Is it just me or are there a lot more overtly religious cards on the main gallery's page recently? There seem to be prayers and blessings everywhere I look.
Stephanie
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 04-27-2010, 04:15 PM   #363
neglecting the kids and housework

Lots of Easter cards till in the mix. I really don't notice them cuz they aren't on my radar just like those faceless kids ones...not my style I don't notice them.
Old 04-27-2010, 04:22 PM   #364
Hardware Hotshot

I hadn't thought of that. I'll wait until Easter has worked its way out of everyone's system. Thanks Victoria!
Stephanie
Old 05-03-2010, 06:40 PM   #365
Crimping Master

Last night on the Simpsons Ned was playing god in town ("the worst sin of all, thought I don't know why") and the people rebelled by acting out in a blind spot where Ned couldn't see them. In trying to figure out why they were so much worse there than normal Ned realized that "God created the devil, too." Homer says, "Oh yeah. That's the only cool thing God has done."

I'm really paraphrasing, but it was hilarious!
Old 05-03-2010, 07:21 PM   #366

Um hey Janet? I still have that stamp but I haven't forgotten about you. SOrry.
Old 05-06-2010, 12:39 PM   #367
Polyshrink Goddess

If this is done in the same vein as South Park it would be hilarious.

http://tv.msn.com/tv/article.aspx?news=498014
Old 05-06-2010, 12:46 PM   #368
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by bksjones View Post
Last night on the Simpsons Ned was playing god in town ("the worst sin of all, thought I don't know why") and the people rebelled by acting out in a blind spot where Ned couldn't see them. In trying to figure out why they were so much worse there than normal Ned realized that "God created the devil, too." Homer says, "Oh yeah. That's the only cool thing God has done."

I'm looking forward to that episode of the Simpsons! I think New Zealand maybe a few months behind you.
Stephanie
Old 05-06-2010, 01:06 PM   #369
Gabfest Goddess

Send a message via MSN to corrosive69 Send a message via Yahoo to corrosive69

Hey no prob...i just donated...i forgot too!! lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by sewsplendidstamper View Post
Um hey Janet? I still have that stamp but I haven't forgotten about you. SOrry.
Old 05-21-2010, 07:12 PM   #370
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

I just noticed your post, and I had a quick question (maybe 2!) for you: first, why is someone (even a fictional character) attempting to impersonate the one true God something to be laughed at? Second, why is the devil the only 'cool thing' that God has done? Isn't the devil the reason for all wars, sickness, and trouble around the world?

I hope that doesn't come across as harsh - I just really wanted to see why that Simpsons episode struck you as being so funny.
Old 05-21-2010, 07:16 PM   #371
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyfullyhis View Post
I just noticed your post, and I had a quick question (maybe 2!) for you: first, why is someone (even a fictional character) attempting to impersonate the one true God something to be laughed at? Second, why is the devil the only 'cool thing' that God has done? Isn't the devil the reason for all wars, sickness, and trouble around the world?

I hope that doesn't come across as harsh - I just really wanted to see why that Simpsons episode struck you as being so funny.
Rebekah, please read first post of this thread.

Thanks.
Old 05-21-2010, 08:32 PM   #372
This reminds me of a Star Trek episode....

Quote:
Originally Posted by sma499 View Post
Rebekah, please read first post of this thread.

Thanks.
You made me go read it again too!!!!

You know I didn't write that whole post, but it was good enough to repost as our OP. But I liked this part....

Quote:
Theists make the presumption that atheists/agnostics are "lost". We are going to address this, probably over-and-over again, amongst atheists/agnosics. Just as you celebrate your faith as theists: we will be celebrating our freedom as atheists/agnostics.
It is also worth bringing up, again, the fact that some people still seem to believe it's difficult to make good moral choices if you don't believe in God.

Of course, this is hogwash.

"Fun must be always." - Tomas Hertl, San Jose Sharks
Old 05-21-2010, 08:37 PM   #373
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
You made me go read it again too!!!!

You know I didn't write that whole post, but it was good enough to repost as our OP. But I liked this part....

It is also worth bringing up, again, the fact that some people still seem to believe it's difficult to make good moral choices if you don't believe in God.

Of course, this is hogwash.
I did the same thing, Wrose! The only problem with being good without god is you can't say, "The devil MADE ME do it!"

Old 05-22-2010, 07:51 AM   #374
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Well, I'll jump.

For me, all the Simpsons episodes are hilarious. The more irreverent, the funnier. Same with South Park. Hilarious.

Second, no the devil is NOT the reason for all wars, sickness, and trouble around the world. Humans are. Just are we (humans) are responsible for the good in the world as well (not God).

You gotta remember we're more or less atheists here (in this thread).
Old 05-23-2010, 07:38 PM   #375

Has anyone been following the story of the cross in the Mohave Desert? I read about it on Snopes, and saw a current update.

Here's the Snopes article: http://www.snopes.com/politics/religion/mojave.asp

I'd love to cut and paste some highlights but it won't let me. Basically a cross was erected on public land, and shouldn't have been. Lawsuits went back and forth for awhile, at one point, a transfer of land was made, creating a small circle of "private land with a cross" in the middle of public land. More lawsuits.

Then the cross was covered, and most recently stolen. A communication to the Desert Dispatch revealed some of the reasoning for the theft.

http://www.desertdispatch.com/articl...us-letter.html

Quote:
1. The cross in question was not vandalized. It was simply moved. This was done lovingly and with great care.

2. The cross has been carefully preserved. It has not been destroyed as many have assumed.

3. I am a Veteran.

4. A small non-sectarian monument was brought to place at the site but technical difficulties prevented this from happening at the time the cross was moved to its new location.

5. The cross was erected illegally on public land in 1998 by a private individual named Henry Sandoz. Since then the government has actively worked to promote the continued existence of the cross, even as it excluded other monuments from differing religions. This favoritism and exclusion clearly violates the establishment clause of the US Constitution.

6. Anthony Kennedy desecrated and marginalized the memory and sacrifice of all those non-Christians that died in WWI when he wrote: 'Here one Latin cross in the desert evokes far more than religion. It evokes thousands of small crosses in foreign fields marking the graves of Americans who fell in battles — battles whose tragedies are compounded if the fallen are forgotten.' The irony and tragedy of that statement is unique.

7. Justice Kennedy’s words in particular and others like them from the other Justices caused me to act.

8. At the time of its removal there was nothing to identify the cross as a memorial of any kind, and the simple fact of the matter is that the only thing it represented was an oddly placed tribute to Christ. This cross evoked nothing of the sort that Justice Kennedy writes of, it was in the end simply a cross in the desert.

9. Discrimination in any form is intolerable, as is hatred.

10. Discrimination or hatred based upon religion should be despised by all Americans, and offering that this event was caused by hatred or malice is simply ignorance of the actual intent.

11. Despite what many people are saying, this act was definitively not anti-Christian. It was instead anti-discrimination. If this act was anti-Christian, the cross would not have been cared for so reverently. An anti-Christian response would have been to simply destroy the cross and leave the pieces in the desert.

12. We as a nation need to change the dialogue and stop pretending that this is about a war memorial. If it is a memorial, then we need to stop arguing about the cross and instead place a proper memorial on that site, one that respects Christians and non-Christians alike, and one that is actually recognizable as a war memorial.

13. If an appropriate and permanent non-sectarian memorial is placed at the site the cross will be immediately returned to Mr. Sandoz.

14. Alternatively, if a place can be found that memorializes the Christian Veterans of WWI that is not on public land the Cross will promptly be forwarded with care and reverence for installation at the private site.

15. In short this has happened because as Abraham Lincoln said: 'To stand in silence when they should be protesting makes cowards out of men.' Perhaps this was an inappropriate form of protest if so I humbly request your forgiveness and understanding for the actions that I have taken here."
I especially like numbers 11 - 15.

Old 05-24-2010, 10:53 AM   #376
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Has anyone been following the story of the cross in the Mohave Desert? I read about it on Snopes, and saw a current update.

Here's the Snopes article: http://www.snopes.com/politics/religion/mojave.asp

I'd love to cut and paste some highlights but it won't let me. Basically a cross was erected on public land, and shouldn't have been. Lawsuits went back and forth for awhile, at one point, a transfer of land was made, creating a small circle of "private land with a cross" in the middle of public land. More lawsuits.

Then the cross was covered, and most recently stolen. A communication to the Desert Dispatch revealed some of the reasoning for the theft.

http://www.desertdispatch.com/articl...us-letter.html

I especially like numbers 11 - 15.
I think in the oral arguments Scalia said something along the lines of " Is a cross representative of only the christian religion?" The attorney something like, "Well yes your honor. I've been in Jewish cemeteries and there aren't any crosses there!"

Old 05-24-2010, 12:04 PM   #377

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily55 View Post
I think in the oral arguments Scalia said something along the lines of " Is a cross representative of only the christian religion?" The attorney something like, "Well yes your honor. I've been in Jewish cemeteries and there aren't any crosses there!"
*sigh*

Old 05-24-2010, 06:24 PM   #378
Crimping Master

Quote:

From dictionary.com: Irony--an outcome of events contrary to what was, or might have been, expected.

As I hope you noticed when you clicked the link to read this thread, the regulars here are non-theists. We either do not believe that there is a god (atheists) or we doubt the existence of god and believe that people cannot know for sure (agnostics). We are bombarded by assumptions that all Americans are Christians and those who are not are bad people who are to be feared. It is refreshing to most of us (myself included) that alternative views are being presented in mainstream media.

To answer your questions directly: 1. he was not impersonating god, he was guilting people into doing the right thing, causing the people to rebel, and it was hilarious. (again, we do not believe that there is a "one true god" here) 2. I feel safe in saying that if we do not believe that there is a god, we certainly do not believe that there is a devil. As Sophie so eloquently put it, the devil is not the cause of suffering in the world--people are. The episode was ironic and that is why it was hilarious.
Old 05-24-2010, 07:02 PM   #379
Hardware Hotshot

Well put, Barb.
Stephanie
Old 06-07-2010, 03:30 PM   #380
Crimping Master

Seen on a local church sign: Want to know how to fix the oil leak? Ask God.

I just love living in the Bible Belt!
Old 06-07-2010, 04:22 PM   #381
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:
[COLOR="Purple"]Seen on a local church sign: Want to know how to fix the oil leak? Ask God.
Well, that's good way to absolve oneself of any responsibility. Wonder why BP hasn't thought of that?
Stephanie.
Old 06-07-2010, 04:30 PM   #382

How bout asking him why it started in the first place? Why didn't he give them the foresight? Why isn't he speaking to them and telling them how to fix it?
Old 06-07-2010, 04:48 PM   #383

Quote:
Seen on a local church sign: Want to know how to fix the oil leak? Ask God.

I just love living in the Bible Belt!
Funny. Just the other day, I asked the family where all the Superheroes and Wizards were.

And for me, God is in the same category. Nice to believe in but not around when you really need them for something specific.

I know I know, people who see God will find some good to blame him for, but I'm sorry, I think anything like a "Q" in Star Trek should just fix the darn thing.

Old 06-08-2010, 08:24 PM   #384
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
How bout asking him why it started in the first place? Why didn't he give them the foresight? Why isn't he speaking to them and telling them how to fix it?
That is exactly how I think too!
Old 06-15-2010, 08:59 AM   #385
Polyshrink Goddess

Speaking of irony http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_lightn...s_jesus_statue

This is creepy and funny. I can't imagine having to drive by that thing every day. The guy said it was erected to 'help' people; 250k certainly could have been put to much better use to help people rather than building a freaky statue.
Old 06-15-2010, 09:52 AM   #386

Yeah I did hear about that. I really have a problem with huge displays like that. Heck, it bothered me when I was a kid, and occasionally would go to Mass at the Cathedral instead of my little parish church, and there was so much artwork, and stained glass, and statues with gold on them. Then they'd ask for money.

WTH? I wondered why they didn't sell some of that "stuff" if they needed money....

Old 06-15-2010, 09:55 AM   #387

And this quote: "Travelers on Interstate 75 often were startled to come upon the huge statue by the roadside, but many said America needs more symbols like it."

I sure many did because many don't understand that America is not composed of only Christians.

So why do Christians "need" symbols and fear of hell to behave?

Old 06-15-2010, 10:02 AM   #388

Why does ANYONE need something outside of themselves to believe.

I believe in evolution. I don't need to tuck a chat showing the pathway of man into my purse.

Nor do I need to go talk to my neighbors about it.
Old 06-15-2010, 10:03 AM   #389

Dang I just realized when the mormons were over the other day and asked if there was anything they could do for me I should have had them do my dump run.
Old 06-15-2010, 10:47 AM   #390
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Dang I just realized when the mormons were over the other day and asked if there was anything they could do for me I should have had them do my dump run.
I know! I live on an acre in the woods and there's always some sort of manual labor that needs to be done but I never quite had the nerve to actually take them up on their offer. Now I just open the door and let my hounds from hell bark their fool heads off.

Laughed outloud at this comment to the falling of the jesus statue: Stop imposing your superstitions on the rest of us with your gigantic crosses and statues along the highways. Keep it to yourselves and get the hell off my porch.

I wonder where the money came from to build that eyesore. Would church members (and they claim 4,000 members) really designate donations for such a thing? I know I wouldn't. Even if I was a 'believer' and had a home church, I would think it was a waste of money.
Old 06-15-2010, 11:31 AM   #391

Quote:
Originally Posted by virtualyvonne View Post
I know! I live on an acre in the woods and there's always some sort of manual labor that needs to be done but I never quite had the nerve to actually take them up on their offer. Now I just open the door and let my hounds from hell bark their fool heads off.

Laughed outloud at this comment to the falling of the jesus statue: Stop imposing your superstitions on the rest of us with your gigantic crosses and statues along the highways. Keep it to yourselves and get the hell off my porch.

I wonder where the money came from to build that eyesore. Would church members (and they claim 4,000 members) really designate donations for such a thing? I know I wouldn't. Even if I was a 'believer' and had a home church, I would think it was a waste of money.
From the link: "former horse trader Lawrence Bishop and his wife. Bishop said in 2004 he was trying to help people, not impress them, with the statue. He said his wife proposed the Jesus figure as a beacon of hope and salvation, and they spent about $250,000 to finance it."

There's a HUMONGOUS white cross right next to I-40 in Texas, too. I remember driving past it on our cross country trip. Yeah, Bible Belt.

Old 06-15-2010, 11:48 AM   #392
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
From the link: "former horse trader Lawrence Bishop and his wife. Bishop said in 2004 he was trying to help people, not impress them, with the statue. He said his wife proposed the Jesus figure as a beacon of hope and salvation, and they spent about $250,000 to finance it."
There's a HUMONGOUS white cross right next to I-40 in Texas, too. I remember driving past it on our cross country trip. Yeah, Bible Belt.

So you think that literally means Bishop and his wife footed the bill themselves? I don't care how much money you have that's insane! And irresponsible.
Old 06-15-2010, 11:57 AM   #393
Stazon Splitcoast

I just read this and had to come here of course!

That "statue" is ridiculous! I would hate to drive past it everyday.

I think I was more bothered by the following statements:

Kevin Jones said, "I'm thinking it's a sign from Jesus that we need to learn something, as Christians, as a whole, we're not doing something right."

Ashley Morgan said, "It scares me, it really does, I think about what that symbolizes, to me that's a sign and not a good one."

http://www.whiotv.com/news/23901668/...=cmg_cntnt_rss

It was hit my lightening which causes fire on something made of flamable material!
Old 06-15-2010, 12:02 PM   #394

Wow a sign from God?
That is was a waste of money? Or perhaps that it was the tallest thing in an area that was being hit by lightening? LOL
Old 06-15-2010, 12:11 PM   #395
Insane Embellisher

Hey, does everybody know about the Freedom From Religion Foundation www.ffrf.org? I'm a faithful employee of Our Federal Government, and the FFRF is one of the organizations we can designate as a recipient of donations to the Combined Federal Campaign. (CFC is the US Government's version of United Way and the only authorized charity drive run in government offices.) I designated part of my donation to go to them, and I get really interesting publications from them in return. They work to keep religion out of the public realm, including schools, courts, other separation of church and state issues, etc. Check it out!
Old 06-15-2010, 12:23 PM   #396

Quote:
Wow a sign from God?
That is was a waste of money? Or perhaps that it was the tallest thing in an area that was being hit by lightening? LOL
If it's a sign, that's what it looked like to me. God smote the graven image, yes?

Old 06-15-2010, 12:25 PM   #397

Quote:
Originally Posted by virtualyvonne View Post
So you think that literally means Bishop and his wife footed the bill themselves? I don't care how much money you have that's insane! And irresponsible.
Yeah I don't know. But really, it is amazing how much money goes into organized religion and other religious endeavors that are unrelated to "charity."

No wonder people hungry for power are attracted to organized religion.

Old 06-15-2010, 12:57 PM   #398

Quote:
Originally Posted by meloleary View Post
Hey, does everybody know about the Freedom From Religion Foundation www.ffrf.org? I'm a faithful employee of Our Federal Government, and the FFRF is one of the organizations we can designate as a recipient of donations to the Combined Federal Campaign. (CFC is the US Government's version of United Way and the only authorized charity drive run in government offices.) I designated part of my donation to go to them, and I get really interesting publications from them in return. They work to keep religion out of the public realm, including schools, courts, other separation of church and state issues, etc. Check it out!
Carol, thanks. My library has Dan Barker's book so I have reserved it.

Old 06-16-2010, 09:02 PM   #399
Crimping Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyStamper View Post
I just read this and had to come here of course!

That "statue" is ridiculous! I would hate to drive past it everyday.

I think I was more bothered by the following statements:

Kevin Jones said, "I'm thinking it's a sign from Jesus that we need to learn something, as Christians, as a whole, we're not doing something right."

Ashley Morgan said, "It scares me, it really does, I think about what that symbolizes, to me that's a sign and not a good one."

http://www.whiotv.com/news/23901668/...=cmg_cntnt_rss

It was hit my lightening which causes fire on something made of flamable material!
Here's my favorite quote from the yahoo article:
"It will be back, but this time we are going to try for something fireproof," she said.

Perhaps god should have told them to build it from something fireproof the first time!
Old 06-17-2010, 06:13 AM   #400
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by meloleary View Post
Hello Meloleary! I am also a member of FFRF. It is so nice getting their monthly newsletter. I read the whole thing cover to cover usually in one sitting. Sometimes I think their efforts are a little too in-your-face but mostly I am happy to send them my yearly dues. I wish I lived in Madison (WI) I would totally do volunteer work for them!

Both of Dan Barker's books are worth the read.