Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2004, 04:30 PM   #1
Kookie Creator

Default Anyone watch Oprah today?

What a great diet plan. After seeing that lady's kitchen I have been unable to even THINK about food. I feel so much better about my housekeeping ( or lack of ) skills. Had been thinking about how messy my house was while working on cards for Regionals when my DD said, "Wow, am I glad I don't live THERE!" Guess my house isn't so bad after all
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 11-18-2004, 04:39 PM   #2
Kookie Creator

Yes! I watched it with my 17 year old son and his friend. Even they were disguested - and it takes a lot to disgust them! I'm feeling pretting good about my own house right now though!
Old 11-18-2004, 04:49 PM   #3
Stampin' Fool

Default Oprah

I saw it! I was shocked that someone could actually live in that condition. That was so unhealthy. Oprah seemed to be giving it to her pretty good at one point though. I could tell she was upset with this lady. I love Oprah!

We're adults. When did that happen? And how do we make it stop? ~ Dr. Meredith Grey, Grey's Anatomy
Old 11-18-2004, 04:57 PM   #4
Compulsive Stamper

It was pretty shocking! Oprah wasn't letting her off the hook so easily. I was surprised the lady continued to make excuses even about the dogs and all their poo. Yuck!
Old 11-18-2004, 05:02 PM   #5
Polyshrink Goddess

We just moved and my mom came over today to help me organize 'cause I've been feeling so overwhelmed with the mess from unpacking, and we watched together while cleaning. Sure did make my own house feel alot less overwhelming!!! Yuck!
Old 11-18-2004, 05:07 PM   #6
Stampin' Fool

Do tell - I didn't see it, but I heard a blurb about it on the radio. How bad was it???

The Blog

The Gallery
Old 11-18-2004, 05:14 PM   #7
Compulsive Stamper

Trust me, you really don't want to know the details. Just thinking about it makes my stomach turn. Just a few of the high points include: More doggie poo on the floor than you can imagine. She just couldn't ever find the time to pick it up. REALLY! Also, "black stuff" was actually growing inside her pots that she cooked in and left out for an untold amount of time, still with leftovers in them, of course. Oh, and let's not forget about the several containers of strawberries out on the container, that were so old, they were black and crunchy. Enough already. I can't bring myself to think about it any longer. Oh, one more, the inside of her toilet looked about like the inside of the pot with black stuff growing. EEEK!
Old 11-18-2004, 09:24 PM   #8
Polyshrink Goddess

Don't forget that the pots had been sitting for so long there were maggots inside of them, and the bathroom floor was covered in dog poop, 'cause she never cleaned it up! And there was dog poop inside her dresser drawer and they found more bacteria on her dining room table than in the dog poop.... just gross!
Old 11-18-2004, 09:41 PM   #9
Die Cut Diva

I can't imagine living in such filth. Really...how could you let things get to that level? I think there was more going on with that woman than the show let on...she must have some deeper issues than just being a mess. YUCK!

Raising children is like being pecked to death by a chicken.
Old 11-18-2004, 10:45 PM   #10
Stazon Splitcoast

Send a message via Yahoo to ReindeerTrout

As disgusting as that was, I agree with Oprah... it's very sad and the woman is obviously very depressed. Her protestations were just more evidence of her being in denial. She even said her house was starting to slide again after the cleaning crew had cleaned it up. Oprah did get her to promise to get help, but somehow I don't think that's going to happen.

Like the rest of you, I'm feelin' pretty darn good about my house right now! lol
Old 11-18-2004, 11:43 PM   #11
Pearl-ExPert

I now feel like I'm a house-cleaner extraordinaire!

That house was so gross (now, that's an understatement!)!! And, those women were, unfortunately, good at describing what they were experiencing so, I ended up sitting here plugging my nose. I know that smells don't come through the tv but that's how unbelievably, shockingly, overwhelmingly disgusting that place was!! I had to look away when they were doing the refridgerator exploration! It may be days before I can eat again - and I can tell you I won't be eating beef or chicken for an extended period of time. Thankfully, it's not strawberry season cause that stuff on the dining room table would have totally ruined the whole berry picking and eating experience for me!!

Along with Oprah and the others here that have already commented, I agree that woman is seriously messed up. I could maybe, kind of understand some of the mess if she was soooooo depressed that she couldn't get out of bed but that she voluntarily went back in there day after day - well, that just freaks me out!

Okay, I have to stop now - I'm starting to squirm and feel like I've been contaminated and need a shower.

I hope that everyone who saw the show or even heard about it will say at least one prayer for that woman!
Old 11-19-2004, 07:07 AM   #12
Stampin' Fool

I didn't watch the show, but my daughter was telling me about it. I'm surprised the Animal Protection people don't take her pets away! I sure wouldn't want my pets to live in a place like that!

So very blessed and so very thankful.
God is good.
Old 11-19-2004, 07:30 AM   #13
Polyshrink Goddess

Send a message via Yahoo to GolfCat69

Gee, I think that was my husband's ex-wifes' place!! LOL
Old 11-19-2004, 07:53 AM   #14
Glitter Guru

I missed the first 1/2 hour, but the other videos they showed of CLUTTER looked a lot like my home. My husband is a hoarder (my boys are 19 & 23 and we still have empty formula canisters in the garage for his "stuff")...the whole house is packed with "stuff" - OK, I'm responsible for the SU! and Longaberger stuff, but the junk is all his!

I don't know how this woman was able to live like that...and then she says that she's starting to slip back into clutter? She has yet to clean up after her dog that is lifting his leg on the toilet? I would love to have someone come with a couple of dumpters and throw out all the unnecessary (to me) stuff, then I'd LOVE to clean. I get home from work every night and just sit - I'm too exhausted to think about it.

It is an illness - it was a great show, and opened my eyes to some solutions. I think Oprah mentioned that Lifetime is having the show by the 2 "cleaning" women on next Monday? Have to check that out.

I'm going to start the local chapter of HA (Hoarder's Anonymous) - anyone in North Western NJ interested?

Lori Hanna
Old 11-19-2004, 11:03 AM   #15
Kookie Creator

I wish people were more sensitive and compassionate to those who have mental illness or going through a very difficult time.

Yes, her house is disgusting. Yes, she still needs a lot of help. The road in front of her is long.

The woman has a mental illness that began with her perfectionist obsession.

She needs prayer, not everyone telling her how disgusting her home is or how disgusting she is. She's no different from an alcoholic, drug abuser or food abuser. Only her abuse is different.

I, too, could feel her loneliness and pain.
Old 11-19-2004, 12:17 PM   #16
Pearl-ExPert

yummyummy - Taking in to account that the point of the show was to inform the audience (studio and tv) that the problem is a very serious - health risks, etc. - and it's more common than anyone would think, just what would you have liked to happen differently? I didn't hear anyone say the woman was disgusting. They definitely and repeatedly stated that her condo was - and that the mess is part of the reality of the condition. I heard Oprah stress more than once that she thought there was something behind all of it and the woman needed to get professional help. I think she even made the woman promise that she would. It's my understanding that you can/should only give a person so much and they need to take ownership of their illness/condition/problem and do what they need to do to take care of themselves. I'm not saying anyone should cut off all support cold turkey but I think there's definitely a point where it's up to the person themself. I also think the woman on the show was still, at least partially, in denial. For some people, the only thing that opens their eyes is an abrupt, 2x4 upside the head kind of thing. It's definitely unpleasant but sometimes necessary. Are you wondering what do I know about any of this? I've had a problem depression most of my life (only diagnosed 6.5 years ago) - which is why I said I could kind of understand the mess if she couldn't get out of bed but that she went back in just freaked me out.

As I stated in my first post, I hope that everyone says at least one prayer for her. She's definitely at the beginning of an arduous journey and will need lots of encouragement along the way, but taking the steps is pretty much up to her.
Old 11-19-2004, 12:33 PM   #17
SCS Moderator

Hmmm-well today's show should be interesting-it's about swingers.
I'm off to watch
(and no, not to get any pointers, LOL I just always think it is so interesting that people who swing look so "normal for lack of a better word! I can barely have my DH looks at my thighs in a swimsuit much less someone else! LOL)

Old 11-19-2004, 01:19 PM   #18
Kookie Creator

Pam - As I mentioned in my post I just wish people could be more sensitive and compassionate to those who have mental illness. It is one of the most misunderstood diseases in this and other nations.

I don't know what was wrong with that statement.

I surely am for people getting help and everyone is responsible for getting that. But we are all people and sometimes we need a gentle push... and sometimes we need a hard push... and sometimes we need to be left to our own devices.

I'm happy Oprah had this show and the one about manic depression. It definitely opens the eyes of many out there.
Old 11-19-2004, 01:31 PM   #19
Polyshrink Goddess

I'm always thankful for these shows about people and their clutter -- it always makes me feel better about my own. I have a long way to go before I'm as bad as all that. That poor woman's home turned my stomach, but it also made me feel incredibly sad. I can't imagine the kind of denial she is in to actually LIVE that way. I hope she takes Oprah's advice and gets some help.

On a lighter note -- could you imagine having to do a workshop there?
Old 11-19-2004, 03:28 PM   #20
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by yummyummy
Pam - As I mentioned in my post I just wish people could be more sensitive and compassionate to those who have mental illness. It is one of the most misunderstood diseases in this and other nations.
I don't believe I said there was anything wrong with your statement. I just wanted some clarification as to what it was you saw or heard on the show that you found objectionable. Plus, I expressed my own opinions on the discussion at the end of the show.
Old 11-19-2004, 03:53 PM   #21
Stazon Splitcoast

Ya know, I've never been into the whole talk show thing, so I haven't watched Oprah very much. But I may have to start watching the show with all the chatter this episode produced.
Old 11-19-2004, 04:00 PM   #22
Pearl-ExPert

NiceRAK - you'll probably want to block out 2 hours in your daily schedule since Dr Phil is on right before Oprah. Well, at least here it is.