Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2013, 01:29 PM   #1
Watercolor Wizard

Default Anyone try a Thunder Vest for their dog?

HI,

We adopted a dog a year ago, an older dog, probably about 9 years old. She has a horrible fear of thunder, and I do have a vet prescribed med to take the edge off. The thing with the med is that it takes an hour to work at all, and even then, it's not a perfect solution. Plus, it can be a long hour for us all! I was wondering if anyone has tried those Thunder Vest things and if they work. I realize it is a dog to dog issue, but I am looking for general comments on them. They are almost $40 at Bed, Bath and Beyond, with a coupon I could get it for around $32, but that's still a lot for a gamble. BTW, our dog is a 12-lb. shih-tzu.

Thanks, in advance,

Cindy
Old 04-12-2013, 01:33 PM   #2
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

I have tons of family and friends who swear by them. They do have a guarantee I think. My aunt's golden retriever has been totally transformed by it. Good luck. Poor baby.

My 2014 Retreat
My Gallery |My Blog | My Store
Love Splitcoast?
Help us love our volunteers by shopping at Amazon

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 04-12-2013, 01:39 PM   #3
Watercolor Wizard

Oh, that is GREAT to hear!!! It's one of those things you wish you could "try before you buy" but I don't know anyone that has one in a smaller size like that, or anyone that would be willing to share, LOL!! I feel so bad for her, and at this point, with storms almost every night this week, and am so sleep deprived I can't remember my own name!
Old 04-12-2013, 04:05 PM   #4
Polyshrink Goddess

How great that you posted this!
We are currently caring for a 12 lb. Havanese that my mom got from a rescue. He had spent the first 6 years of his life in a nasty puppy mill. And he is terrified of storms. Well, it is storming every night here so after two nights of NO SLEEP I went to PetSmart and bought a thundershirt. You can be sure I have the receipt, box, and sack in a safe place because there is a 45 day money back guarentee. Well, the first night was great. It is REALLY snug on him but he settled right down. I slept all night. My husband said he heard him panting a couple times but it was much improved. We need a couple more nights of storms to make a decision but I say go ahead and get one and keep everything. If it doesn't work, take it back within 45 days. Let us know how it works for you!
Old 04-12-2013, 04:58 PM   #5
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by westiemom View Post
How great that you posted this!
We are currently caring for a 12 lb. Havanese that my mom got from a rescue. He had spent the first 6 years of his life in a nasty puppy mill. And he is terrified of storms. Well, it is storming every night here so after two nights of NO SLEEP I went to PetSmart and bought a thundershirt. You can be sure I have the receipt, box, and sack in a safe place because there is a 45 day money back guarentee. Well, the first night was great. It is REALLY snug on him but he settled right down. I slept all night. My husband said he heard him panting a couple times but it was much improved. We need a couple more nights of storms to make a decision but I say go ahead and get one and keep everything. If it doesn't work, take it back within 45 days. Let us know how it works for you!
That's something! I am glad to hear at least it works so far. I think I will go to BBB and get it tomorrow. We have another lousy week of weather coming it seems, and it is that time of year. Amazing, too, about the dog's history. Our Tulip is from a puppy mill in Arkansas. We rescued her through a shih tzu rescue organization. She was a "mill mom" so heavens knows what's she's been through, you know? Our vet gave us these little pink pills, she takes half. They DO work. She doesn't completely get over it, but she settles down enough so you can sleep and she's not overly stressed. It's like she is just dazed, not worried. The thing is, they take an hour to work, so unless you are SURE it's coming, that is a long hour. Also, I hate seeing her so out of it so I hate giving them to her, even though I do feel it's better than her having a full blown anxiety attack. She does that panting thing, too, an shakes like nothing I have ever seen... then she wants to get behind something... the TV stand, the sofa, whatever. Worse yet, she will scratch and scratch and scratch, and she got the wall behind the sofa pretty good before I figured what was going on.

Keep me posted if you have other experiences with the vest... I'll let you know how it goes once I get one. OH... did you get the Extra Small? Tulip is about that exact weight, so I was wondering. They had an Extra Small at BBB.

Thanks!

Cind
Old 04-12-2013, 05:59 PM   #6
Polyshrink Goddess

we got the extra small. I warn you, it is TIGHT. I actually went to the computer and looked up how tight it should be.... really tight but the dog should be able to breathe. Let me know how your Tupil does.....
And I am in Iowa so we are experiencing your exact same weather!~
Old 04-13-2013, 07:06 AM   #7
Pearl-ExPert

We have a thundershirt for our border collie mix and it works wonders. It's the same principle as swaddling a baby so if your fur baby gets comfort from being close to you when scared or having you hold them, it will probably work. We use it in conjunction with some natural calming treats from our holistic pet store.
Old 04-13-2013, 07:28 AM   #8
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by katestamps716 View Post
We have a thundershirt for our border collie mix and it works wonders. It's the same principle as swaddling a baby so if your fur baby gets comfort from being close to you when scared or having you hold them, it will probably work. We use it in conjunction with some natural calming treats from our holistic pet store.
What are the holistic treats you use? I would be up for those. We don't have a store super close, but there is one like that in the town I go to when I need to get tea.
Old 04-13-2013, 07:29 AM   #9
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
we got the extra small. I warn you, it is TIGHT. I actually went to the computer and looked up how tight it should be.... really tight but the dog should be able to breathe. Let me know how your Tupil does.....
And I am in Iowa so we are experiencing your exact same weather!~
Thanks for the warning on that because I have read that other places, too! And I feel so dumb, it's actually a THUNDER SHIRT, oh well! Isn't this weather miserable? It is 39 degrees here and snow in the air!!! My son went to the Cubs game Thursday and said it was of course FUN, but also totally miserable!!!
Old 04-15-2013, 07:24 PM   #10
Watercolor Wizard

I ended up getting the XS Thunder Shirt for our dog. I was surprised how easy it was to put on .... thought it might be tricky. She is OK with it, thank heavens. She's been really anxious lately, not sure why, even when it's not storming. It was a weird week with three nights of thunder then dog sitting my mom's dog. Plus, I think she's got a little bug... not eating much besides her treats. The shirt does seem to calm her. It almost seems like she just doesn't quite know what is going on... looks kind of confused, but it seems to work at least to a degree, but it can take time... and it will take a storm to see how that goes, at which point I will give her the medicine, too. We are supposed to have some bad weather Thursday and Friday. That might be my chance. I'll let you all know how it goes, but keep the stories coming!

Thanks,

Cindy
Old 04-15-2013, 08:49 PM   #11
Polyshrink Goddess

I will be excited to find out how it goes...... here is a tip for you: put the thundershirt on BEFORE the storm if possible. Apparently if you put it on during the storm, it takes the dog longer to settle down.
Old 04-16-2013, 07:07 AM   #12
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
I will be excited to find out how it goes...... here is a tip for you: put the thundershirt on BEFORE the storm if possible. Apparently if you put it on during the storm, it takes the dog longer to settle down.
Yeah. I believe that. I put it on her a couple of times when she was spooked about something else on Sunday and it did take a lot longer it seemed. With the bad storms, and five inches of rain we are supposed to be getting Wed and Thurs, I am crossing my fingers!!!
Old 04-17-2013, 09:39 AM   #13
Rubber Obsessor

Send a message via Yahoo to jwoobiekins

We never had any luck with the shirt or cape or anything else with my Jack Russell terrier. Usually I'd just get a cool wash cloth and wipe him down and ride out the storm, sometimes he'd hide under the bed, or behind the toilet. A girlfriend did try the calming spray - and eventually found a plug in at Drs Foster and Smith that worked for her - might look into that too.

Picture of my two adorable Jack Russell Terriers...Abby and Howard
Old 04-18-2013, 04:19 AM   #14
Polyshrink Goddess

Quiet night last night (HOORAY!) not even a whimper! We put the thundershirt on Louie right before bed (knowing the storm was likely) and he slept like a baby.

Thinking I love that thundershirt!
Old 04-18-2013, 03:52 PM   #15
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
Quiet night last night (HOORAY!) not even a whimper! We put the thundershirt on Louie right before bed (knowing the storm was likely) and he slept like a baby.

Thinking I love that thundershirt!
Well, I can't imagine a Thunder Shirt getting more of a workout than ours did yesterday and last night!! It started storming (again) at about 3:15 p.m. Wed. afternoon and did not stop til 4 a.m. Thursday here in Chicago. OMG, it was AWFUL!!! She did a lot better, but there is still room for improvement. Seems the TV needs to be on for her to really drown it out. The flashes of light, too, were bothering her. Finally, with the meds in her and the shirt on her, and lots of thunder outside, I put her in the soft travel kennel thing and covered the front with a blanket and she was FINE. I think she needs to be able to totally have it go away. But this was like the mother load of storms! I mean, how often does that happen?

Overall, still happy with it. She seems to like it on. Hope I don't need it anytime soon, LOL!