Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2012, 12:06 AM   #1
Mad Swapper

Default Any recommendations on a vacuum?

I have an OLD Electrolux that my mother in law gave me a couple years ago. I never really cared for it, but I needed a vacuum back then (plus low on $$$) so I took it. She had one and loved it. Then she decided to buy a NEW Electrolux but didn't like it. She said it didn't work as well as the older ones. So she gave her daughter the new one and went back to using her older one. That's when she decided to go to the vacuum store to purchase another old one and gave it to me.

Anyhow, I just don't like it. She thinks it's the best thing since sliced bread but I don't like that there doesn't seem to be much suction on it. No matter how many times I change the bag, it just doesn't seem to do what I need it to do. My mother in law has Pergo flooring throughout her house and the vacuum doesn't have any problems picking up stuff on the floors. I, however, have tile in the kitchen & bathroom, Pergo flooring in my room and carpeting throughout the rest of the house (living room, hallway and 2 other bedrooms). I does an okay job on the floors, but it seems to need a better suction on the carpets.

Any suggestions? I'd prefer a canister, don't really care for uprights. I've had the older Electrolux, a Sears Kenmore, a Meile upright, and I think 2-3 others that I really don't remember what they were.

Splitcoast Member #5361 HEY LOOK WHAT I CAN DO!!! :D
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 10-09-2012, 08:49 AM   #2
Stampin' Fool

DYSON is the best I have ever used in my whole life--long long time--Love no bags to deal with--I, like you have floors and carpet in my home--does an excellent job on both. LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT!!!! ( but is upright. )
Old 10-09-2012, 09:33 AM   #3
Stazon Splitcoast

I have had a Miele cannister for 15 years and it is still going strong. It was suggested by my allergist because of the filters it uses, but it cleans really well too. They are pricey, but IMO worth it. I still use it even though we now have all laminate flooring.

My blog: Tails in the stamp room
Old 10-09-2012, 09:40 AM   #4
Pearl-ExPert

Dyson!! I tried the upright and didn't like it but the Animal is AWESOME! Defiantly worth the $$. Btw - I didn't like my mil's electrolux either.
Old 10-09-2012, 09:51 AM   #5
Forum Fanatic

I tried no-bag vacuums and hated them. I didn't try a Dyson (it gets mediocre reviews from CR if you follow that) but tried the Shark and a Eureka. The lack of bags were the only things I hated. It's impossible to buy a bagged vacuum locally so I ordered one and got the Hoover Windtunnel Pet. I love it. It's bagged and it really sucks. lol

I also tried a canister, after having uprights, and hated it too. It was like dragging a dead pig through the house and it got caught on everything.

my blog -- my recipes ♥ Victoria's Avon Walk for Breast Cancer site ♥
Old 10-09-2012, 12:40 PM   #6
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by gale View Post
I didn't try a Dyson (it gets mediocre reviews from CR if you follow that) but tried the Shark and a Eureka.
In addition to getting mid-range reviews in CR, I have heard several stories from people who've bought them and the Dyson lasted two years! Um, no, not for that kind of money.

We have an old Kenmore canister that's going strong, the suction is good. Consumer Reports recently did a vacuum round up and some of the Kenmores did pretty well. My only con is that I usually have to order the bags online--the closest Sears is not convenient--but I get them from Amazon and they're a decent price.
Old 10-10-2012, 09:04 PM   #7
Stazon Splitcoast

I like my yellow Dyson, and I've had it for way more than two years. However, now I hear some squeaking when it is on carpet mode and I run it back and forth. Also, there is something wrong (maybe it's me) with the way the hose detaches, so I have given up on using the attachments. Also, I don't like the height of the front part of the vacuum - I can't get it right up to the edge, under the edge of the kitchen cabinets. I woulda just used the attachment hose to get those, but ...I can't get the hose to come off. But, other than those issues, I like it. It sucks up everything on the first try, which is a HUGE convenience, after working with a horrible little Eureka (the Boss) which did not suck up anything, not even after the eighth roll-over (I hated that vacuum, BUT I knew how to detach its hose).
Old 10-15-2012, 09:16 AM   #8
Die Cut Diva

I have had my dyson over 7 years, I have the Animal and I love it, not bags and I even clean the unit by running washing up soap and water through it and I have never (touch wood) had a problem.
Old 10-17-2012, 10:44 AM   #9
THE
Cardstock Collector

I have had a Miele canister for that last 10 years.......I love it! I have horrible allergies and it works beautifully. It is great for carpet, tile and hardwood. It is a little pricey, but so is buying a cheap one and replacing it every 2 years!
Old 10-17-2012, 02:33 PM   #10
Stampin' Fool

I also tried a canister, after having uprights, and hated it too. It was like dragging a dead pig through the house and it got caught on everything.[/QUOTE]

I've been giggling for the last 10 minutes thinking of this!! I've been there. My Mom had a canister when I was a kid and dragging that dead pig was my job! Thanks for the laugh!

Looky Looky
Old 10-21-2012, 08:01 AM   #11
Hardware Hotshot

We've had our Dyson animal (sorry, yes, it is an upright) for more than 6 years now, and love it. Still going strong. Before that, we were replacing vacuum cleaners every couple of years. We were paying about $200 for them before, and I think we paid $500 for our Dyson, but it's been well worth it.
Good luck!
Old 10-23-2012, 05:31 PM   #12
Pearl-ExPert

I've been keeping house for almost 30 years and I will NEVER buy anything but a Dyson. I have two Dyson Animals (one for the upstairs bedroom floors and one for the main floor & basement). I've had the first one for about 5 years and it's still great. I only bought the second one about a year ago when my son went away to college and I started having to lug the original up and down the stairs all the time. The Dyson Animal is far better than any other vacuum I've ever owned.....including a Hoover.
Old 01-07-2013, 02:05 PM   #13
Kookie Creator

We have the Dyson upright and the cannister and love them both.