Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By shazsilverwolf
  • 1 Post By Tinamello
  • 1 Post By Cartermrc
  • 1 Post By Katscards
  • 2 Post By PinkKitty

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2013, 04:04 AM   #1
Inking Addict

Default Any parents of a preemie

I wasn't sure where to post so I posted in the "start here" forum. But think this one might be better.

Are there any other parents of preemies. My daughter is now 10 months old but I had her 11 weeks early
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 11-13-2013, 11:02 PM   #2
Stazon Splitcoast

Well, I'm not a parent, but I'm an aunt of a preemie! She was due around February, but was instead born in November, nearly a year ago! So now she is almost one year old!
Old 11-14-2013, 03:52 AM   #3
Inking Addict

Hi Sophie!!

You may not be a parent but that's close enough I'm sure you understand a lot about preemie development etc. the babies would have probably been in the nicu together. My daughter was due march 1st but I had her December 20th. We were in the nicu until February 13th! What state do u like in?
Old 11-14-2013, 04:07 AM   #4
Stazon Splitcoast

Well, I live in a different state than my niece; she lives in VA though... I don't think she was in nicu as long as yours! She just had to convince the doctors that her lungs had finished developing, and could get rid of the jaundice. She was born on Thanksgiving Day!!!
Old 12-01-2013, 05:52 AM   #5
Mad Swapper

I'm in the UK, and just so you know they grow up fine, my youngest son was 26 this year, and he was born 13 weeks and one day early! Nowadays, he's taller than me, and as fit as an ox, lol. his most frequent complaint in life is that his birthday falls on Valentines day- my amused reply is always the same- its your own fault for turning up early
Brenda71 likes this post.
Old 12-01-2013, 06:08 AM   #6
Stazon Splitcoast

Well, good!! I'm glad to hear your son is fine! I just returned from visiting my preemie niece. I've got the details clearer in my memory now. She was only six weeks early (though that seemed like a LOT to me), and spent about ten days in NICU. Her first birthday just recently passed, and she's fine; she's catching up to all the normal milestones. She can't crawl yet, but she can move FAST, by rolling around on the floor and propelling herself away from furniture and walls with her feet. If she sees something that she wants and it is directly in front of her, she will use mainly her two arms to move herself forward in a slithering manner. Very amusing to watch!!
Old 12-01-2013, 05:38 PM   #7
Mad Swapper

It can be amazing how fast they actually catch up, and I was told that by the time they get to preschool, you can't tell them apart any longer. My son came home with us 3 weeks before his due date! He spent 6 weeks in a special babycare unit for prems, then the next four in a neo natal unit, which is for babies just a few weeks early over here.
I can still remember my astonishment, when as a newborn, he would curl his hand around my thumb, and the whole of his hand fitted onto my thumbnail. It seems impossible now to visualise exactly how tiny he was. When he was born he weighed 2lb and half an ounce, which dropped to 1lb 12 oz over the next week. I can also recall that even disposable nappies for prem babies came up to his armpits!
Old 12-02-2013, 05:45 AM   #8
Stazon Splitcoast

Wow, that is tiny!!
My sister said in general people would stop to look and to make conversation, would ask how old the baby was. She said only one person was astonished by the answer...it was a new mother who had her own 3-month-old baby with her (to easily compare baby sizes). So when my sister said the baby was three months, this lady's eyes popped out and she said "REALLY??" lol, so my sister quickly explained that she was born 6 weeks early. At three months, she looked more like a newborn. I remember my first visit with Autumn (the preemie). She would drink and drink and drink, and then vomit. But the vomiting didn't bother her. She never cried after throwing up; she would often quickly fall back asleep. What bothered her was her hunger. She would get SO ANGRY and her face would turn SO red if one tried to trick her with a pacifier instead of a bottle! Then she would drink and drink, fall asleep, wake up suddenly and then projectile-vomit. I always made sure I had a huge towel covering all of me whenever I would feed her the bottle. My sister was always either bottle-feeding her, pumping milk, or breast-feeding her. Wow!! SUCH a huge difference this time (my second visit with her)!! She was eating solid foods and could support herself in a Bumbo (?) seat!! And no vomiting!! Yay!!
Old 12-02-2013, 07:00 AM   #9
Mad Swapper

My son Mikey went through the projectile vomiting stage too- apparently its common in prems. He had to have surgery to fit a little piece of pipe into his stomach to cure it. the problem was called Pyloric Stenosis- the Pyloric muscle jams shut, so any food they take in goes down, hits the closed muscle, and as you saw, comes back like an express train, lol.
I also remember when Mikey was moved to the neo natal unit, at about 8 weeks, a new born 'normal' sized baby came into the unit due to jaundice. He looked HUGE in the incubator next to Mikey- almost like he was jammed into a tiny space!
I think they take so much feeding as being so tiny they don't have the same amount of energy as a full size baby, so tire more easily. I used to have to hold Mikey away from me to feed him, or he'd fall straight to sleep.
Old 12-23-2013, 05:28 PM   #10
Pearl-ExPert

My son was born between 6-7 weeks early. He was about five pounds when he was born. He is now 10 years old, has feet bigger than mine and in a year will be taller than me. Leaving him in the NICU was the single most difficult thing I've ever done in my life. But I'm very grateful for a happy ending.
Old 12-24-2013, 08:08 AM   #11
Stazon Splitcoast

I'm so glad to read about all these preemies who are now normal and healthy!

My sister described leaving her baby in the NICU. She is fortunate to be a stay-at-home mom, so she was there with her baby everyday. One day, she noticed that it was unusually busy, with many, many parents visiting their babies. Only then did it dawn on her with horror, that the other parents had jobs and COULDN'T stay with their babies on the weekdays! I think it would have been a great deal harder for my sister if she too had a job and could not be in the NICU as often as she was.
Old 12-24-2013, 08:09 AM   #12
Embossing Fanatic

I too had a premie. She was due on Halloween and made her appearance Aug 1st. She weighed in at 1lb 11oz, and was 12 inches long. She is now 23 and doing great. By the time she was 3 she had caught up to her full term peers. She went to college and is engaged to be married. The down side, she had to move to another province to get a job in her field...but we have a nice place to visit in the summers...lol
Old 12-24-2013, 10:32 AM   #13
Die Cut Diva

How about the wife of a premie?
My husband is 46 and was I think 6 weeks early. He is taller than his 4 brothers and sister and still passes his Air Force physical fitness tests in the top 90%. Technology has so improved since then too.

A good friend of mine had premie twins 15 years ago, they also are very healthy.

I know it is a rough road, but we can be thankful for good medical technology. I just said a prayer for you, because I remember how hard it was for my friend.
Old 12-27-2013, 02:29 AM   #14
Stazon Splitcoast

I happened on this article about a preemie - now two and a half years old:
Britain's littlest shepherd, aged two, a lamb called Twinkle | Mail Online
The youngest shepherd! Very cute!
Old 01-02-2014, 02:55 PM   #15
Inking Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
I too had a premie. She was due on Halloween and made her appearance Aug 1st. She weighed in at 1lb 11oz, and was 12 inches long. She is now 23 and doing great. By the time she was 3 she had caught up to her full term peers. She went to college and is engaged to be married. The down side, she had to move to another province to get a job in her field...but we have a nice place to visit in the summers...lol
Oh my gosh that is do great to hear! My daughter just had her first birthday. I know for preemies they are given until 5 years to catch up by my daughter is already in like the 50th percentile for size for full term babies!

She is doing great. Already pulling to stand, starting to go side to side along couch and crawling super fast everywhere!

Thanks for sharing!
shazsilverwolf likes this post.
Old 01-02-2014, 02:58 PM   #16
Inking Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplewinkle View Post
How about the wife of a premie?
My husband is 46 and was I think 6 weeks early. He is taller than his 4 brothers and sister and still passes his Air Force physical fitness tests in the top 90%. Technology has so improved since then too.

A good friend of mine had premie twins 15 years ago, they also are very healthy.

I know it is a rough road, but we can be thankful for good medical technology. I just said a prayer for you, because I remember how hard it was for my friend.
Thank you so much! I love and truly appreciate all prayers!! Medical has come a long way. I thank god every day for my daughter and she was born at women and infants hospital in Rhode Island which has one of the best nicu's in the country. I am actually doing a walk for the march of dimes, and participating in a "preemie plunge"!
Old 01-03-2014, 07:10 AM   #17
Mad Swapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinamello View Post
She is doing great. Already pulling to stand, starting to go side to side along couch and crawling super fast everywhere!

Thanks for sharing!
I well remember my Health Visitor coming to my home to do my sons (I think) 16 week check up to see how he was doing. She got to the end, and started saying he was a little late doing this, that & the other. I pointed out that as he had been premature, by 13 weeks, he was technically only 3 weeks old! ( The hospital said they judge them from due date, not actual birth date). She then re- read his file, (I would have expected her to do that first!), then says, OK, so he's ahead on this, that & the other, lol.
Old 01-22-2014, 02:26 AM   #18
Crimping Master

Just happened onto this thread. I'd like to suggest you visit kaylaaimee.com. She has wonderful resources, information, and first-hand experience with preemies. Kayla is a wonderful writer and story-teller. Check out Scarlette' s story. I'm sure you will find the resources & info you're looking for.
Old 01-27-2014, 10:31 PM   #19
Insane Embellisher

Our son was 11 weeks early at 3 pounds 4 oz and then our daughter was 9 weeks early at 4 pounds. I went into labor too early each time, they were both healthy, just not "done" enough. Our son was in the NICU for 5 weeks and our daughter for 3 weeks. They were so tiny! I just knew from the instant I saw them that they'd be OK, but we missed out on baby showers and Lamaze classes.

They are now 36 and 33 and have had no major health problems and met all the milestones within normal ranges. Our son has 2 little girls who were both full term.

My late MIL was a preemie back in 1921 and they kept her in a box by the wood stove! She did get a large burn on her hip because of that stove, no NICU's then. She was a slender woman her entire life. and if she hadn't been a smoker since she was 16, she likely would have made it past 73 when she passed away.
SophieLaFontaine likes this post.
Old 02-16-2014, 06:11 AM   #20
Cardstock Collector

Hi!..I am a mom of a premee!..I had my wonderful son (emergency delivery) 7 1/2 weeks early and he weighed in at 4 pds!..Smaller then a bag of sugar!..Even premee clothes did not fit my little boy...He was diagnosed with a touch of Autism at 4 and when he was 6 he was tested again and turned into a diagnosis of Aspergers. He is Socially behind is peers by 1 1/2 years and had a hard time making friends, he was speech impaired (first full sentences were barely understood by 4 yrs old, comprehending life skills and has a few minor health issues severe Asthma RAD and Allergies, his allergist told me out of a normal testing range on allergies people test between 20-40 (normal allergies) my son tested at 272, which meant he was allergic to everything! However my son is now A Junior in HS, 6 ft 1 and about 175 pds, allergies have dropped and his asthma has dropped to a normal range (no longer severe) he has a HUGE circle of friends, a girlfriend and is a social butterfly! He is a wonderful caring loving teen...I have been proud to be his mom, his friend and advocate, every day is a learning experience for him ....My Life has truly been blessed with him!

Last edited by Katscards; 02-16-2014 at 06:19 AM..
SophieLaFontaine likes this post.
Old 03-19-2014, 05:06 PM   #21
Insane Embellisher

My daughter will be 22 the end of the month. She is a Physics major at Virginia Tech, and makes the Dean's List (mom's bragging a little here ). She travels by herself and has had paid internships. That said, she was born at 24 weeks, that's 16 weeks early. She was born in March and due in July. She weighted about 1 1/2 lbs. She was in the hospital 4 months. It wasn't always easy, but we taught her she could do anything anyone else does. And she does! She has grown up to be a beautiful young woman. Her only problem is that she is blind. But that is not a problem to her, just an inconvenience.
Love your daughter, teach her what's right and what's wrong, and treat her the same as you treat other children. Don't make the prematurity an issue. She will grow up fast and make you proud.
Brenda71 and SophieLaFontaine like this post.