Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2005, 10:25 PM   #1
Pearl-ExPert

Send a message via Yahoo to Ronda Nix
Default Any parents of diabetic children? UPDATE: the test was neg!

I'm just curious b/c we are waiting to hear about my DD. She has had some bathroom issues and the doctor is testing her urine. I'm a little nervous b/c it never crossed my mind that she may have this. Any advice or info I may need? We have an appointment next week. She is on antibiotics right now. I am praying that it is just a bladder infection. Thanks for your help.
Ronda

UPDATE is at the bottom. Thanks!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 01-07-2005, 10:42 PM   #2
Stazon Splitcoast

Not a parent, but the older sibling of a Type I diabetic diagnosed 13 years ago. Feel free to PM me with any questions you might have!

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
Old 01-07-2005, 10:50 PM   #3
Pearl-ExPert

Send a message via AIM to otter005 Send a message via MSN to otter005 Send a message via Yahoo to otter005

My 2 yo dd was diagnosed 11-11-04. It really seems scary, but is a very manangeable disease. Great website is www.childrenwithdiabetes.com/index_cwd.htm
We are adjusting. My dd has done fantastic! We are on insulin 4 times a day. Please feel free to PM or email directly for questions or just to chat! We have been the bladder infection route also...same dd had surgery the year before to correct a bladder condition. She got frequent UTI's so I may be able to help with that also. Will be thinking about you.

SCS member #7026
Old 01-07-2005, 11:22 PM   #4
Pearl-ExPert

Thanks ladies! I am nervous about finding out, but I know if that this is her condition, it is better to know now. I also know that this disease is manageable and there are many more serious afflictions out there. I am just a little shocked that diabetes is a possibility. Aside from a few colds and a throat infection, Georgia has been so healthy. We find out on Thursday, so a prayer or two would be very appreciated.
Ronda
Old 01-08-2005, 06:50 AM   #5
Stazon Splitcoast

Unlike Type II (formerly "adult onset"), Type I is not related to health or diet issues like being overweight, and as my sister loves to point out, is NOT from "eating too much sugar". It is an autoimmune disorder where the body attacks the insulin-producing cells of the pancreas.

One thing that happens when first developing Type I is that the level of sugar in the blood spikes -- I mean, really soars, because the body no longer produces any insulin to break it down. I'm talking 8 or 9 times the normal pre-meal level. This will cause behaviors like fatigue or listlessness. If it stays that way long enough, deposits in the urine called ketones will develop as the body tries to flush out the extra sugar, and you'll notice a strange fruity smell. You haven't mentioned any of these symptoms in your daughter, which is defintely cause for hope!

Keep us posted!

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
Old 01-08-2005, 07:19 AM   #6
Insane Embellisher

Send a message via Yahoo to scrapyme

My oldest son is type 1 diabetic, as a teenager(16), diabetes post some problems as the hormonal changes make a big difference on sugar levels ,but today we have so many choices to give them than you will hardly notice .How old is your daughter? My son was diagnosed on his 10th birthday and almost lost him, he was in an IPC unit for a week on a coma... long story but if you need help feel free to ask, at this point I learned a lot.Good luck

I love to stamp, what a stress reliever!
Old 01-08-2005, 07:51 AM   #7
Stazon Splitcoast

Send a message via MSN to stampinthyme

My son Drew is a diabetic! He was diagnosesed when he was 4 , he is 10 now. Almost 11, he handles it very well. But we still have many out of control days. Stress effects him, excitement effects him.

I'm kinda shocked at your doctor making you wait, they tested Drew's urine in the office and told us that minute. His blood sugar when they did the bood test was 58. He was one sick little puppy. We were in the hospital for a week. He was in a coma, the doctors were very surprised that he didn't have organ damage. Yes diabetes is treatable but it is still a serious illness.

Some tell tale signs that something was up we missed, he had lost 10 lbs. His little arms were like sticks. He was sleep walking at night (having lows) Peeing his bed. He had been dry at night for 2 years. Behavior changes, my litttle angel turned to a monster. Only after the insulin kicked in did that change. I was pregnant with # 5 when all this happened.

If your worried there are strips that you can dip urine for sugar and ketones. Ketones BAD. They are what destroys normal tissue.

A note diabetics usually do really well the first year of diagnosis. Don't be fooled, their bodies are still making some insulin so everything works better. We were so diappointed when drew's sugars bounced around.

You can imagine what it's been like this past year, with what our family has been through.

I can't imagine a doctor not testing the urine for sugar and just putting her on antibiotics and saying let's see. If it is diabetes this week is crucial.

Rhonda if you need to talk or more info, pm me. I will pray for your Daughter and your family. It is so hard when your children have issues. Believe me I have 5 and they either have a serious health issue or a learning diability. Some days I just want to cry, then I get back on the bus and count my many , many blessings.

Thinking of you,

Lisa

My life in a blogshell

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground the devil say's "Oh Crap, she's up!"
Old 01-08-2005, 09:49 PM   #8
Pearl-ExPert

Thanks for the additional responses. I think my doctor wasn't overly alarmed b/c he did do a stick test, but it wasn't the one that is normally used, so he didn't get a satisfactory measurement, and he did a protein test also and that looked ok. He has been my family physician since I was 6 years old and has delivered both of my children as well as my sisters', so I trust his judgement. If he felt the results he got in the office needed immediate attention, I'm sure he would have sent us on to the hospital. (He made me quit work a week early when I was pregnant b/c my blood pressure went up a bit. I had only left work for an hour to go to my appointment and had to go back to work and say I was done then and there. Needless to say, my boss was a little surprised, but very understanding.)
Anyway, I think he is just erring on the side of caution, since Georgia hasn't displayed the other key symptoms like thirstiness, weight loss, listlessness, etc. She is a little firecracker who I have a hard time keeping up with some days! Thanks again to everyone for their advice and concern. I will be calling the office on Monday to see if the test came back yet. I'll keep you posted.
Ronda
Old 01-08-2005, 10:27 PM   #9
Embossing Fanatic

Default Diabetic

Hi Rhonda,

If you need anything please send me an email. I feel for you. I know how stressful the waiting can be.

I have had childhood diabetes for the last 24 years. If there is anything you need or if you just need a ear to listen please send me an email, I would be happy to be hear for you.

THinking of you and praying for the best for you and your daughter.

Kirsten
stampinwithkirsten@msn.com
Old 01-09-2005, 07:26 AM   #10
Stazon Splitcoast

That is great news Ronda. I'm praying for your family. I'm sure she'll be fine. It is a big worry. Sounds like you have a fantastic Doctor. Your DD is in my thoughts and prayers. Take care.

Lisa

My life in a blogshell

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground the devil say's "Oh Crap, she's up!"
Old 01-10-2005, 09:11 PM   #11
Pearl-ExPert

Great news! I called my doctor today and the test came back negative! I was so relieved. Thanks to everyone for their posts. It's nice to know there are so many people here who are willing to help out.
Ronda
Old 01-11-2005, 11:54 AM   #12
Stazon Splitcoast

YAHOO!!!!!!!! I'm happy for all of you. Hope your DD is feeling great again soon.

Lisa

My life in a blogshell