Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2012, 03:15 PM   #1
Glitter Guru

Default Am I the only one?

So, it's holiday gift giving time, and the Pinterest boards are LOADED with cute and clever gifts to give your friends and family. But if we're all being honest here, cute and clever rarely equates to useful, practical, or really wanted. So, I have to wonder...

Am I the only one who...

...has never made a mix of anything that someone gave me in a jar. Ever. It sits on a back shelf of my pantry until I remember to clean, and then it gets thrown out a year later.

...looks at some of the clever holiday food gifts (i.e.powdered donut snowman on a stick, reindeer poop,. snowman poop, etc.) that are carefully wrapped and presented and thinks "Well, I bet that tastes disgusting."

...thinks that if I gave elaborately and expensively wrapped candy bars or Hershey nuggets, the recipient would think I'm a complete nutcase. (Really, the packaging cost more than the thing it's wrapping!)

I know that many of you will say it's the thought that counts. But I have to wonder, did we think at all if the recipient would really want it or need it, or do we only think "I want to make that and appear clever"?

Am I just being a Scrooge? Because personally, I'd rather receive...

...a bread that's already been baked.

...an invitation to come over and eat soup.

...a plate of homemade Christmas cookies.

...a hot cup of Starbucks when I least expect it.

...a crafty thing that's useful to me.

...canned preserves like salsa, jams, or apple butter.

So tell me, what's on your list of "who really wants this present", and "I wish I'd gotten this instead".
Old 12-15-2012, 04:51 PM   #2
Kookie Creator

Very insightful post! I for one am that person who looks at craft sites with your mentioned examples and think "wow, very clever" and wonder of I could copy it and think that everyone I know would be so impressed and show all their friends and they would be so jealous! In reality they think I'm cheap or feel sorry for me because they think I'm counting my pennies (yes we all know that crafting is expensive but a lot of people don't).

So now I resolve to un-pin all of my "wish I had time to make" gifts and forgive myself for not making 2012 the year I make all my gifts. I'll concentrate instead on my "will never get around to" handmade decorations.

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 12-16-2012, 09:39 AM   #3
Glitter Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeann34 View Post
Very insightful post! I for one am that person who looks at craft sites with your mentioned examples and think "wow, very clever" and wonder of I could copy it and think that everyone I know would be so impressed and show all their friends and they would be so jealous! In reality they think I'm cheap or feel sorry for me because they think I'm counting my pennies (yes we all know that crafting is expensive but a lot of people don't).

So now I resolve to un-pin all of my "wish I had time to make" gifts and forgive myself for not making 2012 the year I make all my gifts. I'll concentrate instead on my "will never get around to" handmade decorations.

Great! I've freed us from the burden of cleverness!

Hey, if it saves one poor Ralphie from getting a clever bunny suit for Christmas, then I think we've done our job!
Old 12-16-2012, 09:58 AM   #4
CBC Lady Violet

I like pinterest, and I like looking at the ideas, and I've pinned more than a few.
But I also think it is possible to do both the cute/clever & the practical in one. You just have to be choosy in what you do.
I also think you have to "know your audience" IYKWIM? Giving a baking "gift in a jar" to someone you know doesn't bake, is probably a bad idea, no matter how cute it is.
I have given some of those cutesy things (like the kisses in a whisk) and had them be a huge success.
Old 12-16-2012, 10:17 AM   #5
Rubber Obsessor

One year a long time ago, I made cookie-mix-in-a-jar gifts for everyone I knew. I worked very hard on finding a recipe that actually tasted good, had lots of interesting things to layer, and didn't have complicated instructions. They came out very nicely.
That said, I doubt anyone ever mixed them up. I know I found the one I had given my Mom in her cupboard a couple of years after the fact.

I've never understood decorating candy. At the holidays I'd rather buy something special in the way of candy, that is only available at that time. I think I'd only decorate something if it was for someone in my family, and their favorite, just to make it a little bit more special. Along the lines of decorating peppermint patties like a snowman, if peppermint patties were their favorite. Not just giving it to them for the sake of giving them something decorated like a snowman.

I did a craft fair with the decorated bags of candy like ""grinch pills" and "snowman poop", and they sold well. I think some people like the novelty of these items. But I don't have anyone I'd give things like this too.

Who needs tattoos? I already have ink in strange places...
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!