Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2015, 11:29 AM   #1
Cardstock Collector

Heart Advice needed for mailing greeting cards

I searched the USPS website on mailing restrictions because I get such different mailing restrictions from different post offices. Some make me pay extra if I include any type of hard bling & some don't. Or sometimes it's just a bow that might make them charge more. I didn't really find anything specific to cards.
Someone recently told me to turn the card inside out (I included a note explaining why) & 'padded' the bling a little with a tissue & it went through with no problems.
What do you all do? Any advice?
Thanks!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 02-03-2015, 03:31 PM   #2
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii

I am sure if you post your question in General Stamping you should get some answers.

"The quickest way for a parent to get a child's attention is to sit down and look comfortable.

Practice safe eating - always use condiments.
Old 02-27-2015, 09:56 PM   #3
Die Cut Diva

If the card has lots of extra embellishments, sometimes I cut a plain piece of white card stock to lay over the front of the card before I put it in the envelope. Honestly I don't think there is any rhyme or reason to it. Some post offices seem to be more lenient than others. I put one stamp on them and toss them in the mail. I haven't received any back recently. But my sister had 5 returned to her last week. Different PO than me. So who really knows "the rules".

MY PINTEREST BOARDS MY BLOG MY WEBSITE
Old 03-24-2015, 08:57 AM   #4
Polyshrink Goddess

I found it is all about who is interpreting the "rules". I have gotten to the point that I only use a $.70 stamp anymore because our post office guys are super sticklers. Case in point - I put a bunch of stuff in a padded flat rate envelope and sealed it. Took it to the post office and the guy said that it was too stuffed. I said "no, your commercial says if it fits, it ships". He said that the envelopes were not meant to be for bulky items, just flat ones. I again repeated the tag line and asked him if what I put in there fit. He said "technically yes but..." I said "then it ships." He finally gave in.

Postal rates have become increasingly arbitrary. It is like spinning a wheel!
Old 03-25-2015, 06:22 PM   #5
Die Cut Diva

I'm with you on the part about "if it fits, it ships". I had one VERY stuffed flat rate box that bulged, but was securely closed, and they argued with me about it. I also repeated their line back to them. Don't advertise it and then try not to honor it.
Mostly, they are very nice at my PO.
Old 03-25-2015, 06:24 PM   #6
Die Cut Diva

And I usually put a piece of CS over any blingy card front, and have never had one come back.

Although, when I sent a card to my mother in law in England, she emailed and said she had gotten an empty envelope. They know me now at the PO as the lady who tapes EVERY edge on her envelopes going to the UK.