Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2004, 03:56 PM   #1
Insane Embellisher

Send a message via Yahoo to melissa724
Default Advice About Becoming a Stampin up Demonstrator

I have been stamping with Stampin up products for about 2 years and I am thinking about becoming a demonstrator. I would love any information or advice you guys could give me? I have hundreds of questions so as much as you can tell me would be great! Thanks All!!!

Melissa
mfeatherly@sbcglobal.net
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 05-16-2004, 03:57 PM   #2
Gallery Gazer

Send a message via Yahoo to Brownee
Default Demostrating

Melissa, What did you need to know? I have been a demo for almost a year. Just ask....

Keva
Old 05-16-2004, 04:04 PM   #3
Insane Embellisher

Default questions

Is there a good earning potential?

Is there good company support?

Do they offer incentives based on your sales?

How hard is it to start a customer base?

How can you advertise the fact that you are a demonstartor in your area?

Do you think it is a good company?

What would you suggest having (material wise) when you start demo-ing?

Plus more that I can't think of right now. LOL

Melissa
Mfeatherly@sbcglobal.net
Old 05-16-2004, 04:28 PM   #4
Gallery Gazer

Send a message via Yahoo to Brownee

I think Stampin Up is an awesome company. They are very supportive and have always been very helpful in getting you on track as far as sales and keeping you motivated by having great promotions. They also give you lots of help and advice if you need it along the way through other demo's support and company to demo support.

I may not be the best person to talk to when it comes to a customer base because I have a base of about 5 regular customers. It all depends on how much time you are willing to put into it. For me, it is the fun that I have with it that keeps me going, not the earning potential. The potential to earn is there, but with my full time job-I just don't have the time all the time. I love to stamp, though, so it was worth it to me to join up. Financially, it is worth it because not only do you get your discount, but the starter set is way cool. You get to pick your own starter sets (based on price points) and your own inks, too.

They do have great incentives all of the time based on sales and/or recruiting, too.

As far as materials..well I would definetly get an alphabet set, a words set or two, a all-occasion set, and a floral set. But it really depends on what you are in to. They offer a kit already put together that has good sets-or you can choose. That goes for the inks, too. They have colors picked out, but you can choose any of the 48. I would truly get black, and at least one from each color family. You could also get ink spots so that you could have every color we have. There is so much to Stampin Up, but I will say this-I think it has been a wonderful company and I love every minute of it. You can email me if there are more questions, but I am sure there will be some great demos helping you answer your questions.
Old 05-16-2004, 04:55 PM   #5
Splitcoast Team Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Beate

Hi Melissa,

I have to totally agree with Keva. Stampin' Up! is an awesome company. I joined in August 2002 and my business almost automatically took off. I made my stampin' start both ways. That is one great incentive from Stampin' Up! to get you motivated right from the start. You have three full month to get $1,500 in sales and/or one recruit and you get to pick two sets of your choice from the catalog.
Right now is a great time to sign up because with your kit you will get a Level 3 hostess set from the next catalog. You can check that and the content of the starter kit out at www.stampinup.com.
Last summer I had to move. My husband is in the military and we move every three years. It took me about three month to get my business started again. From knowing no one. For the last three month I had 4 workshops scheduled each month and the last two month I had three recruits. There is definitely the posibility of making money of it...unless you are like me and youare a complete rubber addict. I just turn my profit into more accessories and stamps!

The support of the company is fantastic. You can call their 1-800 number and they help you out. They have a great website where they post all the news and new cards every day. And you will have an upline that will love to help you out any way she can.
There are regional seminars in all parts of the country where you get business tips and stamping instructions and of course once a year there is CONVENTION. Four days of stamping fun!!!! Unfortunately I haven't made it there yet. My husbands schedule never permitted it. I definitely want to go next year!!!
One more great help is the monthly Stampin' Success magazine you will be getting. In there are more information, samples, techniques.....an awesome tool.

Stampin' Up! offers great incentives depending on your sales. First of all you will get an override commission. That one depends on you sales. Plus there are certain times of the year where you will be able to earn sets! During Sell-A-Bration is such a time...another time is between March and May.
Also depending on your sales you can earn free Mini catalogs that the company sends directly to the customers of your choice!

Like I said before it isn't too hard to create a customer base. Just talk to everyone you know. When first starting out I would always recommend an open house. Have some kind of door prize and tell everyone that you would love to see them there. Have at least one make and take. And send out cards. Welcome to the neighborhood, Thank you cards, birthday cards....People will ask. I had a person working in the post office the other day ask me where she could get a cute book like my accordeon style card. I left her with my mini catalog! Always have those in your purse...or some stamped business cards.

Since you are stamping with Stampin' Up! products for over two years now...you will have enough things to start demoing. You don't really need that much. Plus you will have all the things from the Starter kit! That is plenty. With the starter kit comes a video that will tell you more about how to conduct a workshop. That really helped me out. I use a lot of it in my workshops. Not all....since I do THO (totally hands on) workshops where every customer gets to do three projects.

Man...that's long enough for now. You should do it. It is so much fun. And you will find so many friends this way. I love it, love it....love it.

If you can think of more questions, just ask. That's what we are here for!
Hugs and smiles.

my gallery - my blog
Old 05-16-2004, 05:08 PM   #6
Mad Swapper

I have a question....

What do you have to do to stay an "active" demonstrator? Are you required to place an order every month, very 3 months, every 6 months? Oops, that was 2 questions, sorry...

Cathy
Old 05-16-2004, 05:28 PM   #7
Insane Embellisher

Default Thank you so much!

Thank you both so much for your imput!! I am really excited about the prospects. Mostly it is my husband that is hesitant about it. We are expecting our second baby in early September so he doesn't want me to put too much on my plate. I think that I would start out slow... a lot of my family members are into stamping so I think I could start with them! I am also really glad that I found this website. You are all so nice and helpful! I will let you know when I decide. Thanks!

Melissa
mfeatherly@sbcglobal.net
Old 05-16-2004, 05:46 PM   #8
Splitcoast Team Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Beate

Hi Cathy,

All you have to do is put in $300 in orders every quarter (three month). That is usually super easy. $300 is the average workshop!!! So with one workshop your requirement is fullfilled. It is an awesome company with great rewards!

Hugs and smiles.
Beate

my gallery - my blog
Old 05-16-2004, 05:54 PM   #9
Insane Embellisher

Cathy, to stay active you need to have $300 in sales every quarter. This can be personal or customer sales. I've never had any problem meeting that (including the situation I describe below!)

Melissa, I know what you mean girl! I became a demo and found out I was pregnant a month later! Talk about crazy! But my uplines were so supportive. Especially when I had to go on bedrest for 2 months and had my daughter 2 months early. So basically I was out of commission for a little more than 4 months right after I started my business. And this was pre-Christmas, so I was quite busy with holiday workshops. I learned 2 lessons from this: #1 - a supportive upline is everything and #2 - you really CAN work around your family schedule and have a successful business. My son is 4, my daughter is 1 1/2 and life can move pretty fast. Recently my husband and I made a deal that I do one workshop a week. At first I was worried about how my customers would feel when I told them 'no' to a date (I have pleasing issues ) but my business is still growing great and I sometimes feel they respect that more!

Geesh! Sorry to babble on so. You've found a great group of women here to get all the info you need. So keep asking away!

Laura
Old 05-16-2004, 05:59 PM   #10
Mad Swapper

Thanks for the info! I'm seriously thinking about signing up. I really want to and my husband has agreed, but I don't want to hurt my demo's feelings. She's been super sweet and I'm her very best customer! Would she benefit from me signing up under her?

Once again, thanks for the info!

Cathy
Old 05-16-2004, 06:11 PM   #11
Rubber Obsessor

YES! She will benefit from you signing up under her! I can't imagine any demo who would not want to learn that their customer wants to be a demonstrator, too!

So talk to her. You've got nothing to lose!
Rhonda
Old 05-16-2004, 07:14 PM   #12
Kookie Creator

Melissa and Cathy,

I must agree with everyone here! I signed up about a year ago last year and have been having a blast ever since!

Just add a few things.... If you really want to help your upline/current demonstrator, there are certain times of the year that help us to have recruits. Right now is one of them and usually during the SAB. I love the fact that SU! always offers incentives for new recruits if they are offering us incentives for having recruits. It is like the best time for the new people to join is also the best time for the current demonstrators to have new recruits.

I have been with other direct sales companies before and I can say without doubt in my mind that SU! is the best company around! The demonstrator support is excellent and it is so easy to sell. Usually with direct sales companies, summer and January (after holidays) are literally dead months with little or no business. SU! has it planned out so that the retired sets and new catalo excite the summer slow months. SAB goes without saying. It is the best sales (and shopping) period for all of us!

I LOVE the fact that I do not have to be a sales person. I can just let people "play" and the products sell themselves. If you enjoy our products, you will definately enjoy being a demonstrator.

The hardest part is looking at all the beautiful creations posted here and fight the temptations of wanting them all yourself..... Yes, I am talking about you, Beate & Jenn!
Old 05-17-2004, 03:18 AM   #13
Glitter Queen

I had to add my 2 cents worth here! I have been a demonstrator for 3 years now. I think by now I have FINALLY figured out what works and what does not. I LOVE Stampin' Up! and all that it has to offer. I was just not wise in my business and now I have paid the price. Do I regret it all, no, because I had a BLAST, but I could have done much better business-wise. I did 72 in-home workshops this past year and several book parties and walked away with $2396 in my pocket. TERRIBLE profit margin. What did I do wrong? I gave away too much free and too many incentives and drove too much. I also was concentrating on my customer base instead of trying to get recruits. After 3 years of lots of hard work, I am just a Supervisor. I should be way on up there by now if I had of mentioned the business opportunity along the way. Take it from me, in order to really make great money at this, you must RECRUIT! Also, if you take credit cards, let them pay a portion of your fees. I paid over $450 in credit card fees alone last year. I had given the catalog away at my cost, $5. Charge a little more even if you don't feel comfortable with the total $9.95. I gave away countless $$ in incentive stamps for every $35 they spent. I do think this made them spend more, but maybe up that amount to $45 or so. I also would do 4-5 make and takes and always include a candy treat. This REALLY gets expensive. What have I done to remedy all of this? I have limited my driving distances to no more than 30 min. away with these high gas prices. (before my average party was about 45 min. away and I spent hours on the road). I have now cut my projects down to no more than 3. I now charge 3% if they want to use a credit card, I no longer give away 20% booking coupons and no longer give away incentive stamps. You may say by cutting out all of the free things that your business will really suffer. Look at it this way, SU offers very generous hostess gifts and rewards and the projects that they take home should really be incentive and gift enough from you. I mean, how many home parties do you go to and get to take home such wonderful projects? And NEVER pass up a chance at your workshop to offer the business opportunity. I just never did because I always hate hearing the spill at other home parties, BUT this is where you make the money if that is what you are going to sell SU for and also, there may be someone at that party that would just LOVE to make a little extra money and have as much fun as you do. Always remember to KEEP IT FUN. When you start getting too business minded about this, you loose your joy for it and it does become just a business. I have cut back and gone back to just having fun and trying to pay for my habit instead of dog eat dog lets see how many parties I can book and how busy I can stay. Truthfully, I have gone from doing about $2000 ++ worth of parties a month to about $600-$800, but I am having fun again and I don't feel totally stressed out and frenzied all the time. I might add, I do have 6 children that I homeschool and help run a poultry farm as well, so I really was adding a LOT to my plate by doing so many workshops. I hope this helps a little and doesn't discourage you from wanting to sell SU, just go at it carefully and wisely. I do NOT regret being a demonstrator at all, I LOVE IT! I am so excited about those new sets that are going to be in the new catalog that I can't stand it! Have you ever seen anything as cute as those new bugs!!?? Those of you that aren't demonstrators will just have to join up so you can go take a look at them on SU website! Happy day~ Jan
Old 05-17-2004, 03:35 AM   #14
Insane Embellisher

Default I think I am gonna do it!

Thanks so much everyone for your replies!!! It is good to know that I have a place I can come with questions and get honest answers. I was dying to talk to some other demonstrators (other than my own) to find out what other people thought of it. This website is the greatest!! Well.. I think I am going to sign up very soon. I am probally going to call my Demonstrator today to get the ball rolling. LOL I have been thinking about it for so long now that now that I finally made up my mind I want to be a demonstrator like right now!! I am just to impatient. Some of you are even busier than I am so I think I can handle it. I love you guys so much!!!
THANK YOU!!!

Melissa
mfeatherly@sbcglobal.net
Old 05-17-2004, 03:40 AM   #15
Glitter Queen

OOPS! One biggie that I should have mentioned in all my long spill was, my upline made about $1500 off of me, and this was only at 2nd level at 2%. How was that for not having to do anything but share a few ideas with me from time to time!? See, recruiting is where the $$ is!
Old 05-17-2004, 04:34 AM   #16
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Default Credit card fees

Hate to tell you this, Jan, but you can't charge fees on top of orders for credit cards. It's in the fine print of the agreement you signed with the credit card company. They can yank your ability to take credit cards, as well as possibly fining you (not sure about that one). Another no no is making a minimum charge necessary to use a credit card (like $10 mininum purchase).

Credit card fees are part of the cost of doing business. People who use credit cards typically buy more, so the fees work out in the long run. I'd hate to see anybody get in trouble over this, but in the end it's your business, so you need to be aware that if you take the risk, it's possible one of your customers will turn you in.

I agree with being cautious about how much you give away. I make my hostess gifts from the dollar store; it's not hard to have a nice present made from items that will only total around $2 when all is said and done.

As far as earning potential, it depends on what your goal is. Do you want to be full time and make a similar salary to what you might out in the workforce? Then you will have to recruit, recruit, recruit and do lots of workshops.

If you want to make enough to support your own stamp obsession, it can be much easier. Then it will depend on how much money you want to make. I do about 2 workshops a month and conduct 2 classes. My sales are around $1500 to $2200 a month, giving me a gross profit of anywhere from $350 to $550 per month. More than I make at my part time job as a church secretary most months. This doesn't include the incentives like free stuff through Great Rewards, free stamps from promotions and the hostess stuff I get free for placing large orders for myself. That's the one thing I recommend; whenever you order for yourself, save up enough "needs" to order as a hostess (meaning you need to order $150). That way you can get free hostess goodies when you order, boosting your earnings! I end up ordering a lot (I didn't make any profit last year because I spent it all, LOL), so I have a lot of extra level one sets. I trade these for sets I want, so I get things free that way too.

And whatever you order counts towards your sales. Some people sign up just for the discount, so if you can spend the $300 per quarter to order for yourself, you don't ever need to worry about staying active. If you've got family to order through you, you may end up spending very little yourself to stay active. And keep in mind that $300 is RETAIL, not the 80% that it actually will cost (plus shipping and handling).

Good luck! I've been in a year, and I've had a ton of fun.
Old 05-17-2004, 09:46 AM   #17
Glitter Queen

HELP! HELP!

I am getting swamped by emails saying that it is illegal to charge fees for credit cards or to say they have to buy a minimum before they can use their credit card. I was totally unaware of both of these facts (usually don't read the fine print!) and am so grateful for those who have pointed this out to me. YIKES! (haven't done it yet so I'm ok!)

Yes, I am fully aware that I can be my own hostess and earn freebies and have it count towards my quarterly quota. Yes, it does pay for my stamping habit. (which is quite a bad one!) Yes, I can count off my clothes that I may wear to a workshop and mileage and food and supplies and so on and so on. I have been doing this for over 3 years and I do have an accountant that guides me along the way. (he said I surely have a nice hobby)

All that I was saying is this:
If you really are in it to make a nice, big profit, really watch the amount of free things that you give away and how far you may drive and the key word, RECRUIT. Some of your ladies WILL take advantage, the more you give, the more they want and expect. Then there are those that just appreciate the socks off of everything you do! Now, I will rest my peace and probably shut up from now on, go take care of my kiddies and stamp to my heart's content! Remember, I love SU just as much as you do and I love to share my love of it with others, but one has to be wise in the process! WHEW!
Old 05-17-2004, 12:01 PM   #18
Stazon Splitcoast

Send a message via MSN to MSBetsyZ

If someone were to sign up now, though, wouldn't they be getting a box of catalogs that will only be good for a short time? Is there an advantage to waiting til after the catalogs come out?

Betsy
Old 05-17-2004, 12:15 PM   #19
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Default Hey, Jan, chill, LOL!

Okay, we all realize how much you love SU! I figured you didn't realize about charging fees or minimums...you see it done in many stores, also against the rules, so most people think it's okay. I'm glad you found out the easy way rather than the hard.

ANd I agree, it's possible to totally give away any profit by going overboard with incentives. I think a nice middle of the road is the way to go. As for the part about hostess bennies...that was really more for the original poster, sorry that wasn't clear. I have a variety of promotions that benefit my customers. I let them take $10 off for every $200 they spend...this only benefits my regulars who are spending every month and is only 5% of the sales I get from them. The gleam in their eyes when they realize they are only $10 away from getting that $10 is something to behold!

I also am generous with Inspiration sheets for my stamp club members and give away incentive stamps pretty much to hostesses or those who are particularly helpful when cleaning up. I put one in the door prize and one in the hostess gift and give them away as booking incentives. I NEVER spend more than $2 on hostess gifts or door prizes. And the rest of the goodies they get are from Stampin' Up! which has a great hostess benefits package after all.

My customers are, on the whole, great people, though I have run into a few users out there. People who don't know their own minds, apparently, when they book a workshop, then change their mind about it, making off with a catalog in the process. Those who will take every minute of your time and energy if you let them. I find, though, that the most demanding customers can also be the ones who order the most, so it depends on where you draw your line.

But, on the other hand, one of my customers showed up at the door yesterday. I just had surgery and about 4 of my customers who are teachers at a local elementary school had gotten together and given me a get well present and a card that had a twenty dollar bill attached to it so I could get a take out meal on them. Most of my customers are the best people in the world and I've been fortunate to be their demonstrator for the past year!

I've yet to recruit anyone, even though I talk it up...probably not as much as I should. A lot of my customers are already reps for other companies like Creative Memories or Pampered Chef and aren't looking to switch anytime soon. Others have tried something like Tupperware and have gotten burned because they couldn't sell much. Stampin' Up! is so different...because it's fun, it's really easier to sell...once you get some people who are really hooked on stamping, it isn't hard at all and its SO much fun! I always cringed during recruiting talks at other direct sales parties I'd been to, since I couldn't imagine selling things to my friends, pressuring them, etc. Now, it's not a problem because a) I adore all of the products and I'm just sharing my love of stamping with friends, not PUSHING it on them and b) it's the job that really uses all my talents and abilities and satisfies me the way no other job ever has! I like having my own hours and being able to play with stamps and call it "work"!
Old 05-17-2004, 12:19 PM   #20
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Default Catalogs

If you sign up now, you'll get this years catalogs in your kit and would have to buy the new ones when they come out. BUT you'll get that great level 3 hostess set they are offering.

If you wait to sign up until June 1st, you'll get the current catalogs in your kit but you'll also receive a box of the new ones when they are issued..you'd get them around July 15th.

As for me, if I have someone who really wants to sign up and get that level 3 set, but doesn't want to spring for a new box of catalogs, I would offer to buy their first box so they can have the best of both worlds!
Old 05-17-2004, 02:19 PM   #21
Stampin' Fool

Send a message via Yahoo to justheather

One more set of opinions...

Before you sign up as a demo, you really need to commit some time to making your business work. I've found that I really need to make phone calls at least one night every other week, even if it's just to say hello and make sure they got their stamps put together. I also need to have at least one workshop a month to keep the ball rolling.

My upline as well as many of my sidelines are in the process of either quitting or going inactive simply because they couldn't commit the time or buy the whole $300 themselves.

Beate was absolutely right in saying that an average workshop is over $300. Mine for the first quarter this year were about $425, on average. Some months it's easier to find a workshop host than others, but I make that part of my phone calls when my calendar is looking empty.

I'm going to have to scale back near the end of the year...I'm pregnant, but I've planned stamp clubs so my sales minimums are covered until January.

You really don't need much more than the kit to start, in fact, SU even includes a booklet to help you plan projects with the contects of the starter kit. I found having the other paper colors nice, as well as a Cropper Hopper (to carry stuff) and the Stampin' Scrub also a good purchase.

I've made a habit in the last year (I signed up last May) to buy only a few stamp sets, but more accessories because that's mostly what my repeat customers seem to buy- any new accessories I show. I'm fortunate that I'm only losing 6 stamp sets to retirement this year.

Anyway, if you restrain yourself and work a bit, you can make it a go, but don't expect to make a million bucks without any work...
Old 05-18-2004, 06:31 AM   #22
Mad Swapper

Thank you Melissa for starting this thread (and Congrats on signing up!) and thank you to all who have contributed with so much helpful information! I called my demo last night and told her that I would like to sign up and she was thrilled!! She's bringing the contract by this afternoon, so in the meantime, I'm trying to decide which starter kit to purchase. Therefore, I am asking once again for some help.

I've pretty much decided that the Memories kit is the one I want to go with. It seems to be the one with the best value, especially since most of my group are just getting into Scrapbooking or already are. Okay, my question is if you choose your own stamp sets, it states at the same or lower price of the ones listed. Is the option a total amount? For instance, can you buy any 4 that total the same price as the total of all 4 sets listed or do you have to choose one set that is $26.95 or less like the Quirky Alphabet Lower set, then another that is $16.95 or less like the Just Journaling 2 set? I hope that makes sense. Essentially what I'm asking is can I order a $32.95 set as long as the grand total is less than the amount for the 4 that are listed. Boy, that confused even me!

Plus, I would really like to know what sets you recommend. I already own the Brushstroke Alphabet and the Crayon Fun Alphabet Upper and Lower and just ordered the Bold Alphabet with numbers, so I don't think I need to order another alphabet set at this time.

Anyway, I appreciate all your input! Remember, I'm signing up this afternoon, because I want my order back ASAP!! Thank you!!

Cathy
Old 05-18-2004, 09:43 AM   #23
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Default Memories kit

I believe you have to choose one set of comparable value or below, not several sets that equal the one you are replacing.

Another thing to consider. In your kit, you will get 8 of the Memories catalogs and only one of the big ones. Which means you will have to purchase more of the big ones if you want them right away. In the standard kit, you get 8 of the big catties and one of the Memories catalogs. Just something to consider!
Old 05-18-2004, 10:44 AM   #24
Mad Swapper

Thanks for the info Jan. No I didn't realize that about the catalogs. I was planning on ordering the new ones anyway as soon as I can, but I can see your point. Hmmm....more decisions...

Thank you!
Cathy
Old 05-23-2004, 06:42 AM   #25
Mad Swapper

Send a message via Yahoo to kathat

I'm jumping in here late but just wanted to thank everyone for their advice. I just joined as a SU demonstrator last weekend at my friend's party and am anxiously awaiting my starter kit.

I'm just doing it to support my habit but if I do make extra income along the way, that's wonderful!

Kathy
Old 05-23-2004, 05:52 PM   #26
Stazon Splitcoast

Isn't that the way we all started? LOL. I love what I do! And I love even more that it can support my habit! Of course, what I earn goes right back into my collection, and I put my volume rebate in the same place. . .

I am still amazed that I started this as a hobby, then did "just one workshop" and then another and another, and it has just snowballed into a whirlwind of workshops and meeting new people, and introducing them to the fun of stamping and scrapbooking.

It clearly takes on a life of its own. And it's a good life.

So, welcome to all of you new demonstrators. Have fun with it. That's really what it is all about!

Jenn
Old 05-07-2009, 08:10 AM   #27
Rubber Obsessor

Smile

I came across this thread through a google search and would like to know if there are any new thoughts about becoming a demonstrator since this thread is almost 5 years old.

Thanks for the input.

My blog
Old 06-23-2009, 01:35 PM   #28
Kookie Creator

Just found this on google too and had the same questions?
Old 06-24-2009, 05:49 AM   #29
Rubber Obsessor

Subbing
Old 06-24-2009, 11:17 AM   #30
Kookie Creator

I have been a demo for about 16 months now. I'd say the previous comments are as true today as the day they were posted. Stampin' Up! is a great company to demo for and they are very responsible & stable financially - which is more than you can say about a lot of companies in today's economy!

Personally speaking, I don't think there is a more exciting time to be a demo. In a week we'll have a new catalog release and going back to 1 catalog a year with mini catalogs in between. This definitely makes it easier to keep track of current products. I found with 2 catalogs a year I was just getting familiar with a catalog when it was time to retire the old and bring in the new. SU! is very responsive (within reason) to feedback from customers and demonstrators.

Building a customer base CAN be challenging, especially with the current economy, but SU! is countering that by offering smaller "kits" and under $10 stamps for the budget stamper. SU! is constantly adding more things to help support demos in their business - demonstrator business web site, You Tube SU! channel, plenty of fliers that we can print out for each new promotion, partnerships with other companies like Country Living and Sizzix, and special advertising and promotional campaigns throughout the year. You'll get out of your "business" what you put into it, so if you're putting the time and effort in, there really is no reason not to be successful.

I'm happy to answer direct questions as well. Feel free to PM me. I always have time to talk about Stampin' Up!
Old 07-10-2009, 05:31 PM   #31
Rubber Obsessor

Andrea,

Thank you for your input.

My blog
Old 07-11-2009, 02:50 AM   #32
Forum Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryth View Post
You'll get out of your "business" what you put into it, so if you're putting the time and effort in, there really is no reason not to be successful.
:
This is so very true. The other thing that I would add, that I didn't really see mentioned in the thread is that you should investigate what kind of support your upline offers. That's no guarantee, of course, but if your upline (the person you go through to sign up) does SU only occasionally or doesn't really want a downline, then that's a red flag. If you want regular support in the form of meetings, etc., you should discuss that. Team meetings are not necessary for success (my upline didn't hold them), but if you are someone who needs that, then you should ask for it. As I mentioned, my upline never had meetings and I'm the type of person that doesn't need them, but there are several of my downline who benefit greatly from the meetings I hold and it really is just fun getting together.
Old 07-11-2009, 07:43 AM   #33
Crimping Master

Just gotta add- the original op asked her questions in 2004! I wonder if she decided and if she is currently still a demo! It's funny how some of the old thread get a new surge of life at times!
Old 07-17-2009, 01:01 PM   #34
Compulsive Stamper

I'm actually debating this right now too! I emailed my demo several days ago asking for her input... unfortunately I don't think she is the demo I want for my upline (I haven't been super impressed with her as a customer, so don't think I'll be impressed with her as a "supervisor" of sorts)

Does it help to have demo in the same area as you, or does having a demo in another state make any difference?
Old 07-23-2009, 11:15 AM   #35
Kookie Creator

I have been thinkingn about the same thing. I know I want to sign up with the new mini kit they are offering but how do I choose who to sign up with? I know a couple of people locally and have seen some awesome demo's via their websites and video's etc. Some demo's do great work and seem to offer alot for their customers and some extra's to folks who sign up with them to become a demo. I like the extra's. lol!
Old 07-31-2009, 10:41 PM   #36
Rubber Obsessor

For me I love having my upline close to me so that I can go to the events and meetings that she plans.

It's great also to know the rest of her team and to be able to share ideas with them as well.
Old 08-26-2011, 07:22 PM   #37
Cardstock Collector

I will revive this thread after 9 year since the OP poted it, lol

Anyways, I have never used SU! products because I don't know who sells them and I don't want to buy them online because they are more expensive than other products of imilar quality but now after reading this thread, I have the SU! bug and would love to feed the sta,ping addiction and to make some extra $ in the run.

My question is, how do you get customers when nobody around you is a stamper or even a crafter? I am a SAHM and don't have friends who share my passion and I am afraid I would never meet my sales goals, does SU! send leads to you for the demos too? Or is it totally and 100% up to you to advertise your demos?

Thank you in advance.
Old 08-30-2011, 12:05 PM   #38
Cardstock Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophie'smom View Post
I will revive this thread after 9 year since the OP poted it, lol

Anyways, I have never used SU! products because I don't know who sells them and I don't want to buy them online because they are more expensive than other products of imilar quality but now after reading this thread, I have the SU! bug and would love to feed the sta,ping addiction and to make some extra $ in the run.

My question is, how do you get customers when nobody around you is a stamper or even a crafter? I am a SAHM and don't have friends who share my passion and I am afraid I would never meet my sales goals, does SU! send leads to you for the demos too? Or is it totally and 100% up to you to advertise your demos?

Thank you in advance.
I'm going to answer, even though I'm not a SU! demo - I'm a SU! customer and my demo is a good friend. She actually started a stamping club through Meetup.com; we meet once a month, we have a $25 minimum order each month and we do three make-n-takes. One person is hostess each month, so everyone eventually gets the hostess benefits (there are six spots in our club, and we "club" for six months at a time) and I've made some great new friends this way. Do you have a Moms group that you could suggest a workshop to? You just never know - people can be very intimidated by crafting/stamping - I was very intimidated by stamping - but SU! stamps are such good quality that I just love them now and really look forward to my club each month. It's great that SU! also sells tools and accessories, not just stamps, so if you've got scrapbookers you'll appeal to them as well.

So my long-winded suggestion is to maybe try Meetup.com, ask at your Moms group (if you've got one), perhaps there are women at your church who would be interested? I already work full time so it would be a bit difficult for me to be a demo, but those are the ideas that came to me when I started reading this thread. Who knows, maybe in a couple of years I'll be a demo; when my daughter starts elementary school I want to work part time so that I'm home with her, and SU! might just be the answer. Good luck!
Old 08-30-2011, 02:06 PM   #39
Cardstock Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeSheepie View Post
I'm going to answer, even though I'm not a SU! demo - I'm a SU! customer and my demo is a good friend. She actually started a stamping club through Meetup.com; we meet once a month, we have a $25 minimum order each month and we do three make-n-takes. One person is hostess each month, so everyone eventually gets the hostess benefits (there are six spots in our club, and we "club" for six months at a time) and I've made some great new friends this way. Do you have a Moms group that you could suggest a workshop to? You just never know - people can be very intimidated by crafting/stamping - I was very intimidated by stamping - but SU! stamps are such good quality that I just love them now and really look forward to my club each month. It's great that SU! also sells tools and accessories, not just stamps, so if you've got scrapbookers you'll appeal to them as well.

So my long-winded suggestion is to maybe try Meetup.com, ask at your Moms group (if you've got one), perhaps there are women at your church who would be interested? I already work full time so it would be a bit difficult for me to be a demo, but those are the ideas that came to me when I started reading this thread. Who knows, maybe in a couple of years I'll be a demo; when my daughter starts elementary school I want to work part time so that I'm home with her, and SU! might just be the answer. Good luck!
Thank you, I will look for groups on meetup.com. I have a mommy group but they were adamant on the first meeting that we are not allowed to sell or demo anything because they had moms that would only go to the meetings to sell stuff and wouldn't participate on any other activities. I think I will join a club first and see how that works, it sounds like fun too.

Thank you!
Old 12-21-2011, 06:16 PM   #40
Rubber Obsessor

Hi, everyone!
I know this is an old thread, but I stumbled upon this 2 days ago, and I'm just wondering...do I need to sign up with a Stampin Up demonstrator in order to be one? Thanks in advance!