Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-23-2013, 04:12 AM   #81
Die Cut Diva

This catalog transition was the first time that they removed all of the seasonal/holiday stamps from the big catalog and moved them into the holiday catalog. I don't think the number of stamps that were retired is that much different than in previous years, at least it didn't feel like it at the time. (Another way to look at the removal of the holiday stamps from the main catalog would be to picture Target with empty shelves for nine months of the year, just waiting for the christmas season. SU decided to just tear those shelves down . . . rather than have those shelves taking up space the rest of the year.)

Stampin' Up! (like most businesses) are working hard to figure out the best way to stay in a strong position. While SU works on this, there is quite a bit of transition and new ways of doing things. I think it's just good muscle movement for all parties involved.

Again, welcome!
solechis likes this post.
Old 09-23-2013, 05:50 AM   #82
Cardstock Collector

Thank you again! but yes, even the holiday catalog doesn't have as many Christmas, not as much variety or as much as in the past. That's what it seems like? Are they trying to come up with new different stuff?
I am still excited to sign up next month! Just trying to understand how it all works.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 06-06-2014, 11:27 AM   #83
Inking Addict

Anybody want to add to this? It's been almost a year and I'm still having a hard time making the jump to becoming a demo...mostly because I know hardly a soul who does paper crafting outside myself....

I'd appreciate any comments/ideas/etc.
Old 06-06-2014, 01:34 PM   #84
Hardware Hotshot

You don't need to know a bunch of papercrafters to jump in! Currently it's $50 to join and you get to pick out $55 worth of products, plus get your business supplies kit. You then get until the end of third quarter to meet the sales of $300, which you could buy or sell to others. Basically that means you have several months to make some contacts through parties, classes that you post on your website (people can search by zip code), or make sales through finished cards and wedding papercrafts.

Let us know if you have specific questions!
Old 06-06-2014, 01:41 PM   #85
Inking Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makalah View Post
You don't need to know a bunch of papercrafters to jump in! Currently it's $50 to join and you get to pick out $55 worth of products, plus get your business supplies kit. You then get until the end of third quarter to meet the sales of $300, which you could buy or sell to others. Basically that means you have several months to make some contacts through parties, classes that you post on your website (people can search by zip code), or make sales through finished cards and wedding papercrafts.

Let us know if you have specific questions!
I guess I'm just apprehensive about getting customers and sells...I'm a bit worried too that I'm not sure what itemsI'll need for my first workshop...or I'll need additional business supplies. What do you mean by making sales through finished cards and wedding papercrafts?
Old 06-06-2014, 01:54 PM   #86
Hardware Hotshot

Not everyone is a cardmaker themselves but many buy cards. You could make sympathy, thank you, birthday cards to sell in local stores or craft fairs. You could find a bride to be who wants custom wedding invites and help create them for her. Both of these would help get your name out there and ordering paper helps your sales, then you sell the finished products to others.

I have only done one event so far and that was a vendor fair. They didn't provide much so I bought cheap stuff for it and still sold enough used items to cover my costs.

Your first events could be not based - like the Everyday Occasions cardmaking kit. You wouldn't need to buy a bunch. It's also ok to use non SU products like scissors or clear blocks at your first couple events while you build your stash.
Old 06-06-2014, 04:28 PM   #87
Die Cut Diva

Snc, when you think about joining stampin up, what gets you excited or makes you think about wanting to do it? If you can share that, it may be easier to offer thoughts that are helpful. When I joined, it was purely to get the discount. So I didn't even consider whether I knew anyone else who crafted. I was able to meet the sales minimum on my own for a while. I went a different route for a while...and am now back to making my own purchases again. If I don't buy the required minimum...I get thirty extra days to catch up. If I don't catch up then I simply no longer get the discount. There is nothing wrong with that...I am not banned from joining again and I don't have to return anything. It is a very flexible program/opportunity. I am happy to answer questions.
Old 06-06-2014, 05:31 PM   #88
Inking Addict

Just signed up and am very excited, I do hope this can help bring extra income for our family and meet new friends!!!!
madameplushbottom likes this post.
Old 06-07-2014, 01:41 AM   #89
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snc914 View Post
Just signed up and am very excited, I do hope this can help bring extra income for our family and meet new friends!!!!
Good luck!

Join the demo forums here. There's lots of helpful info and it's a great place to ask questions.
Old 01-06-2016, 06:33 PM   #90
Cardstock Collector

Question To Become or Not Become a SU! Demonstrator

Okay, it's time to revive this conversation. It's a good topic that never gets old.

I've loved stamping for 20+ years, and have a large collection of "stuff" that I don't use as often as I'd like. I like to make cards or small papercrafted gifts, but am not into Scrapbooking or Memory Keeping. I have products from a variety of manufacturers, but by far the most from Stampin' Up!

I am in a club that meets six times a year, with the minimum purchase $25 and we take turns being the "hostess" although it's always held at my demonstrator's home. I'll admit, I buy more stuff than I ever use. It's really been a challenge to give myself time to get messy and play. Instead, I've been watching YouTube for my "fix."

Over the past few years I've spent thousands of hours watching card-making videos. Although I appreciate Jennifer McGuire, Kristina Werner, Sandy Allnock, Nicole Magourik, etc., by far my favorite videos are ones using Stampin' Up! products. All the SU! demonstrators out there who do videos - BLESS YOU!!!!

There are lots of cute stamps and neat products out there, but I just keep coming back to SU! because I love it the best. I was tempted to become a demonstrator last year during Sale-a-Bration, but didn't want to commit. Over the past year I've thought about it more, and learned more, and I probably will do it this year.

My questions:
1) Upline
Serene Stamper gave wonderful ideas for what to consider when interviewing an upline. My demonstrator is really a hobby demo, and just has the club to maintain enough sales to keep the discount. I've hesitated to sign-up under her because I want an active upline mentor if I do this business. On the other hand, I've hesitated to sign-up under anyone else because it feels disloyal to a friendship. Any thoughts?

2) Income
I should sign up just to get the discount, since I buy so much. However, I'm unhappy in my job and considering a change. I'm 56 and age discrimination is very real in my work world. I'm smart and a good learner, but opportunities to grow and be more valuable have been withheld by my current supervisor. I'm not excited about changing jobs within my work world (government employment), because after 20+ years I understand the drawbacks and office "politics" too well. I also need to maintain my wage, as we have debt to pay off before I can take a lower-paying job. What would be a realistic net income goal for doing the business part-time? If I could build up to one event a week, how much might I reasonably earn in say the first six month period? I realize it depends on a lot of factors, but if anyone can give me a realistic ballpark idea it would be appreciated.

3) Online Business
There are so many wonderful SU! demonstrators out there with online stores and offering videos, etc. that I wonder if there's really room (or need) for one more. Crafting is my joy, and I'd love to be able to make it pay, but what are the down-sides to running an online business?

Thanks for any help you can offer.
Old 01-07-2016, 02:29 AM   #91
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianaRae View Post
Okay, it's time to revive this conversation. It's a good topic that never gets old. You're right that the topic never gets old and it's very timely for me to see this bumped up as I'll be meeting with someone later today to talk about the opportunity.

I've loved stamping for 20+ years, and have a large collection of "stuff" that I don't use as often as I'd like. I like to make cards or small papercrafted gifts, but am not into Scrapbooking or Memory Keeping. I have products from a variety of manufacturers, but by far the most from Stampin' Up! You know you're in good company here.

I am in a club that meets six times a year, with the minimum purchase $25 and we take turns being the "hostess" although it's always held at my demonstrator's home. I'll admit, I buy more stuff than I ever use. It's really been a challenge to give myself time to get messy and play. Instead, I've been watching YouTube for my "fix." If you really don't use what you have, do you see yourself changing things up if you become a demonstrator? If not, you might want to keep going with your club. If, however, you can get yourself motivated to "use" some of those YouTube videos to create some cards, etc., you might find that you get on a roll. You still have nearly 3 months before SAB ends to decide about signing up -- and, of course, you can sign up after that as well.

Over the past few years I've spent thousands of hours watching card-making videos. Although I appreciate Jennifer McGuire, Kristina Werner, Sandy Allnock, Nicole Magourik, etc., by far my favorite videos are ones using Stampin' Up! products. All the SU! demonstrators out there who do videos - BLESS YOU!!!! Agreed! Don't forget about the SCS gallery, though. No videos (except for the techniques) but certainly many great project ideas.

There are lots of cute stamps and neat products out there, but I just keep coming back to SU! because I love it the best. I was tempted to become a demonstrator last year during Sale-a-Bration, but didn't want to commit. Over the past year I've thought about it more, and learned more, and I probably will do it this year. You do realize that your "commitment" lasts only as long as you want it to, right? If you sign up and decide never to do a workshop/party or even buy anything else for yourself beyond the starter kit, you haven't lost a thing (but you have gained $155 in products you love for just $99).

My questions:
1) Upline
Serene Stamper gave wonderful ideas for what to consider when interviewing an upline. My demonstrator is really a hobby demo, and just has the club to maintain enough sales to keep the discount. I've hesitated to sign-up under her because I want an active upline mentor if I do this business. On the other hand, I've hesitated to sign-up under anyone else because it feels disloyal to a friendship. Any thoughts? Before you decide not to sign up with your demo, how about having a frank conversation with her? It may be that, like Lela, she does not want to have a team and she may be able to suggest someone who is more active. Also, just because she is simply maintaining enough sales to meet her minimums, it may be that she is looking for that first team member to get her motivated. Anyhow, it won't hurt to ask her. Yes, if you do decide to sign up with someone else, it may sting a bit; but she may at least understand that you need/want something different from what she can offer.

2) Income
I should sign up just to get the discount, since I buy so much. However, I'm unhappy in my job and considering a change. I'm 56 and age discrimination is very real in my work world. I'm smart and a good learner, but opportunities to grow and be more valuable have been withheld by my current supervisor. I'm not excited about changing jobs within my work world (government employment), because after 20+ years I understand the drawbacks and office "politics" too well. I also need to maintain my wage, as we have debt to pay off before I can take a lower-paying job. What would be a realistic net income goal for doing the business part-time? If I could build up to one event a week, how much might I reasonably earn in say the first six month period? I realize it depends on a lot of factors, but if anyone can give me a realistic ballpark idea it would be appreciated. I can't really help you here in terms of SU! income and I'm not so sure anyone else can, either. Your sales can depend on so many different factors...market saturation, "craftiness" of family and friends, your own "sales personality", etc. I will say that if I had a government job of 20 years, I would be loathe to give it up. Remember those fringe benefits like health insurance and time off that you won't get from a home business and may not get at the same level if you start in a new industry. Also, things change all the time -- maybe your current supervisor won't be your supervisor forever.

3) Online Business
There are so many wonderful SU! demonstrators out there with online stores and offering videos, etc. that I wonder if there's really room (or need) for one more. Crafting is my joy, and I'd love to be able to make it pay, but what are the down-sides to running an online business? The downsides? Well, I think mostly the time involved. I find that I manage to keep my SU! website updated with classes and I try to post regularly on my FB business page. But I rarely post cards and certainly don't make videos. I know I am not as good with words* as so many of our talented demos are but I do enjoy all the classes I teach in person.

*I'm talking about the writing that these bloggers do beyond talking about their creations. So many are very entertaining.

Thanks for any help you can offer.
Anyhow, lots for you to think about. Good luck with your decision!
Old 01-08-2016, 09:21 PM   #92
Cardstock Collector

Thank you, Linda, for all the food for thought.
Old 01-09-2016, 04:14 AM   #93
Mad Swapper

DianaRae,

Demo for 30 months here - planned to only be a hobby demo, but I have 10 regular customers and five down line now. I'm retired and have a pension/social security and a spouse with the same, so not dependent on my income from Stampin' UP! and it's a good thing!

In my view, the right upline is very important. My former demo, in my former hometown, is very talented artistically, but has no business sense, and no follow-through. I chose to sign up under a demo with a very active team support reputation, and a strong on line presence, and she is the right person for me. I would not have grown to the extent I have, without her leadership, and the knowledge base in my fellow demos on her team.

I'm still trying to continue to grow my customer base and it is NOT easy. It took me a year to grow beyond my initial 3 customers. I choose to do some activities that do not generate an income stream - for example - teaching at the local senior center, and making cards for charities. Due to physical limitations, I also choose to limit my events (except for the senior center and larger group demonstrations) to those I can hold in my home.

My goals were - to get the discount. To create a customer base to help meet my minimums. To meet people and find like-minded crafty friends with whom to stamp. To have an incentive to stamp regularly, and finally to grow creatively and as a stamper.

Of the 8 or 10 women who have become "million sellers" MOST have a big on line presence. Likewise, most of the top 100 sellers. Imo, one needs to have a wider reach than just local workshops and stamp camps to make a 'real' income. And remember, if you are self employed, you will have to make enough to cover your own insurance, social security payments, and fund your own retirement.

MY advice (from the advanced age of 68, retired 8 years) is to keep your day job, however unrewarding, until you can retire with full pension and health insurance, while starting a Stamping UP business on the side.

I would (and did) clear out the non-su product from my workroom before signing up (because it's easier to demo SUO if that's all I have on hand). Generate your own goals and plan. Take a demo business class - there are several. Order intelligently, with your business goals in mind. Take time to visit potential upline's websites to see who's personality meshes with yours.

Good Luck!
Sweetsea likes this post.
Old 01-09-2016, 08:24 AM   #94
Cardstock Collector

Thank you so much, LindaBabe. Those are all really good ideas and tips. My original plan was to work from till age 68, for full retirement benefits. My original plan was to work from till age 68, for full retirement benefits. I will keep my day job no matter how unrewarding, as long as my day job keeps me. My current job is winding down and I see a layoff coming my way. They posted a new position at a much higher level, and I really think that's so my supervisor can get somebody else in place of me to do the stuff I could do if she'd let me. I have strengths in data management and analysis, and she knows that, but the new position description was written with qualifications she knows I don't have. It's just depressing, and hard to get the energy to do other stuff when I feel beaten down each day at work.

I don't mean to sound so sorry for myself, I'm just being honest. I normally have a very upbeat and cheerful, cooperative, positive attitude about things. This last year has been really, really tough on my self esteem. That's a big part of why am not sure any kind of self-employment is a good idea. But regardless of what I do for employment, I think signing up as a demo and trying to develop a sideline business, is wise. Thanks again