Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2012, 05:27 AM   #1
Cardstock Collector

Default 80s/90s hair?

Do you remember the smell of your favorite hairspray? As a child of the 1980s and early 1990s, the smell of Rave and Aqua Net bring back horrible images of gigantic, crunchy bangs. You know, the kind that wouldn?t budge for 3 days if you were walking through 80 mph winds in a rainstorm. My mom called my bangs ?The Claw,? and, unfortunately has many photographs to prove how unflattering and ridiculous the hairstyle was. But, oh, on school picture day, how the girls? bathroom smelled like Rave. We?d be lined up in a row, much like a firing squad, only our weapons were a can of aerosol hairspray in one hand and a pick in the other. Teasing our bangs until they stood up on end, we would have competitions to see who could get their bangs off of their forehead the highest. What was your spray of choice and how high was the highest hair in your school!?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 10-02-2012, 06:15 AM   #2
Polyshrink Goddess

Oh man, you just brought back so many memories. I too am a child of the 80 and early 90s. (Graduated high school in 1991) My bangs were high, but not as high as others in my class. One girl had the teased out bangs that I think were atleast 6 inches tall and the sides of her hair were teased out too.

Oh and we had to pin our graduation caps to our heads, so we did not mess up the bangs. I know one girl had about 30 bobby pins in her hair since her cap was on the back of her head.

Thanks for the fun memory.

Trish
Old 10-02-2012, 10:14 AM   #3
Die Cut Diva

I remember a hair spray in a can that smelled like melon. I think it was Rave? If I smelled it today I would recognize it immediately.

I had a friend with sky-high bangs. People sitting behind her in class would tap on her desk to make her bangs jiggle. They must have been 6" high.
Old 10-04-2012, 02:42 PM   #4
Mad Swapper

I remember using this mousse that had like gold in it! I think it was by Loreal. It made my hair all gold and shimmery
Old 11-03-2012, 05:02 AM   #5
Rubber Obsessor

That smell was Salon Selectives.

HEY I just gave myself bangs, last week. I haven't had them since 1991.

Someone with Autism loves me!
Old 11-03-2012, 10:06 AM   #6
Polyshrink Goddess

By junior high (1990) I discovered Aussie and I still love that stuff. Prior to that it was Rave. I never really got into the big, high hair, but I had the sausage curled bangs; bottom half rolled under, top half rolled up and back with minimal teasing. I did however have 3 ft of spiral permed hair. Took three boxes of perm solution at the salon to do it. Did you spray the sides of your hair and then hold them out under the hand dryer to get the sides to wing out?

As my best friend says, "Stamping....it's cheaper than therapy" to which I add, "Not by much".

My mom was the proud recipient of my first handmade card. Cost $200.

~My Gallery~
Old 11-05-2012, 10:22 AM   #7
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by raquelita_uno View Post
Did you spray the sides of your hair and then hold them out under the hand dryer to get the sides to wing out?
I totally had "wings" like that, LOL!
Old 11-08-2012, 05:54 AM   #8
Rubber Obsessor

Location: Antelope, Ca...Not exactly Kaua'i where my heart is & would love to be

I never had the patience for the teasing, hairspray and hairdryer routine to do my hair...so mine was short and was a one length bob with variations of length too, but mostly the simple Molly Ringwald bob and wave look. LOVED GEL and mousse for the wave and faux spiral perm look. When I did let my hair grow long, I had the full on spiral perm and would pull it up half and half most of the time. I was lucky enough to have a hairdresser that had product to make my hair keep the spiral for a year to a year and a half as long as I went for my trims every six months...and that is with hair that is straight as a nail and finer that the thinnest needle, otherwise it would have been a fortune to maintain. Loved my short hair the best. I often think about chopping my hair from the length it is now to a shorter length but with dancing and often having to pull it into a bun, I don't have the patience to fight with "adding" a bun to my head. LOL
Old 11-08-2012, 03:06 PM   #9
Rubber Obsessor

Oh my goodness. I had the perm with the bangs and the hairsprayed, dried with a hair dryer sides. I loved the smell of all the different hair sprays. I went through Rave, Suave, Aussie, and Finesse. You always knew when someone shelled out a lot of money for hair spray when you'd smell that fruity smell of Paul Mitchell. I could probably still name all of the those different brands with a blind sniff test. I've wondered if the permed, teased bangs look would come back with skinny jeans and neon colors. They would make it look all new and revamped of course. Does anyone also remember the rollers that were made out of sponge and you set each one on a steamer before you put them in your hair? What were they called? I loved them.
Old 11-08-2012, 03:41 PM   #10
Crimping Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by raquelita_uno View Post
Did you spray the sides of your hair and then hold them out under the hand dryer to get the sides to wing out?
Oh my, yes! Me and the guy from A Flock Of Seaguls! hahaha!!
Old 11-22-2012, 02:32 PM   #11
Mad Swapper

The hair product I miss most from the 80s? Agree shampoo and conditioner!

They revived the brand for a few years around 2000-2005, and I bought it a few times at Walmart. Then they changed the fragrance, and seemed to have dropped it entirely. I loved the smell of that stuff!
Old 11-22-2012, 04:32 PM   #12
Kookie Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraftyMel2 View Post
Oh my, yes! Me and the guy from A Flock Of Seaguls! hahaha!!
LOL!! I had the other Flock of Seagulls hairdo -- the one that was super short over one ear with long bangs dipping down over the other. I was soooo !

My Little Gallery -- which I am hoping to update this year!
http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/ga...&ppuser=167664
Old 11-24-2012, 05:21 PM   #13
Kookie Creator

My daughter was a little girl then and I loved to hold her and smell the Agree conditioner I used on her hair. I miss that whole thing.
Old 01-13-2013, 08:33 AM   #14
Rubber Obsessor

Send a message via Yahoo to diecuts4u
Default Give me a head with hair long beautiful Hair

The foam rollers were HOT Rollers. Now for my trip down hair memory lane my fav. product was Clairol SHORT & SASSY conditioner OH it did wonders for my hair...........I too remember the heavy hitting Aqua Net hairspray and all the nights in high school I slept in rollers so I would have the perfect Page boy for school..........................Where is my blow dryer !!!
Old 01-13-2013, 08:35 AM   #15
Rubber Obsessor

Send a message via Yahoo to diecuts4u
Default Almost forgot to add about Short and Sassy

It was promoted during the Olympics when Dorothy Hammil Had the fantastic wedge hair cut, they featured her on the Short &Sassy conditioner bottle.