Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-27-2010, 03:37 PM   #1
Crimping Master

Default Staff Appreciation Ideas

I am SO glad I found this thread! I am looking for ideas of stuff to give to our teachers for our appreciation. We feel that we don't want to show our appreciation just during "teacher appreciation" but all through the year
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 10-29-2010, 05:23 AM   #2
Her Royal Awesomeness of Shiner Bock PTA Pirate Land

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candice96 View Post
I am SO glad I found this thread! I am looking for ideas of stuff to give to our teachers for our appreciation. We feel that we don't want to show our appreciation just during "teacher appreciation" but all through the year
we do gifts each month for our teachers. we have 100 staff on board at our elementary school.

there's a group of 3 of us that make birthday cards - very simple - normally about 4 -5 different designs.

then give simple candy treats from ideas from here. i'll have to get a list of what all we did last year but like spiced tea with stamped tags, york patty creatures. sour cream boxes. we made some nugget boxes. i can't remember what else.

2013 Scrapping Goal 48 pages
To date 20 completed!

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid. - Albert Einstein
Old 10-29-2010, 04:47 PM   #3
Pearl-ExPert

This is what we are doing (this is my 3rd year on the committee).

Oct: Catered luncheon; Candy day
Nov: Chili luncheon; Snack cart (delivered to classroom)
Dec: Coffee bar and breakfast; Carline covered
Jan: Pasta luncheon; Cookie day
Feb: Hug day (with chocolates); Potato bar luncheon
Mar: Brownie day; Meal basket to go
Apr: Fruit cart (delivered to classroom); Herb garden
May: Staff Appreciation Week - Dessert cart; Flowers, Note of appreciation from their students; covering carline, recess, and lunch, etc.
Old 11-03-2010, 05:03 PM   #4
Polyshrink Goddess

Here's a little something I made last year during Teacher Appreciation Week for the teachers at my son's school...super easy!!

Teacher Appreciation Week by JJ Rubberduck - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers
Old 11-04-2010, 12:14 PM   #5
Stazon Splitcoast

Wow! Wish I worked in your schools!

As a teacher my most favorite appreciation was the day each child brought in a flower for us. The PTA provided the vases and had extra flowers for kids who forgot. It was just lovely to have a huge bouquet of flowers on my desk. Some were flower store flower, some from the grocery store, some from gardens. Didn't matter - it was beautiful!!! The bouquets were so big I'd bring some home to brighten my apartment!
Old 11-04-2010, 03:56 PM   #6
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

In one of the schools I worked at, the parents had a car wash. Staff left their car keys in their mailboxes in the office with a piece of paper with their licence plate/car make and model on it. Parents set up outside the school with buckets, hoses, sponges, and a radio and washed cars all afternoon. The parents who did it said they had a great time--and I loved driving home a shiny, clean car.

Another appreciation gift they gave us was paying for our water cooler for a year. They gave each staff member a cup with a lid and a note saying that the PTA would be providing the water service.
Old 11-04-2010, 04:00 PM   #7
Stazon Splitcoast

Which reminds me of the upper grade male teacher we had - he used to get the kids together on days when it was snowing and we were in school ( we never got off!) and the kids would clean off all the teachers' cars. It was awesome!! Kids were happy to do it too!!! What could be better than playing in the snow??!!
Old 11-07-2010, 07:49 AM   #8
Pearl-ExPert

Dang it, typed up a huge response and then lost it. Anyways here are a few ideas I've done in the past:

Apron:
troopersma's Teacher's Tool Belt by troopersma - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

Coffee Mugs:
Staff Appreciation by troopersma - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

Pumpkin Poop:
Lots of Poop (Pumpkin Poop that is!) by troopersma - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

Movie in a Can:
Teacher Appreciation Gift by troopersma - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

Halloween Bags:
Jane's Creative Process: Halloween Happiness (after making these I added cello bags filled with candy and a stamped tag but didn't get a picture)

Covered notebooks/cards:
Jane's Creative Process: Beginning of Teacher Gifts

In general, here is the section from my blog that is non-card ideas. A lot of the ideas for coworkers could also be used for teachers:
Jane's Creative Process: other than a card

I did staff appreciation at our school for a year. Had a minimal budget so did lots of little candy bags w/toppers. Coffee/donuts once a month (all donations). Only expensive thing as a luncheon for teacher appreciation day. That was a catered mexican food lunch. Got a ton of items donated to raffle off to the staff and a pinata that we stuffed with candy and school supplies.

Jane
Old 11-25-2010, 05:58 PM   #9
Mad Swapper

As a teacher, one of my most favorite things was the "cookie shop"...Our wonderful PTA parents cooked their favorite cookies and each teacher got a cute container was able to fill it up with a dozen or two cookies....yummy!
Old 12-01-2010, 05:07 PM   #10
Vee
Hardware Hotshot

I love the car wash ( never have time to wash my car) But the cookie shop sounds fun too.
Old 12-01-2010, 05:09 PM   #11
Vee
Hardware Hotshot

Rust lip balm by Vee - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers
Rust lip balm-inside by Vee - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers
I teach special ed. and last year I had 7 assistants. I tried to make something every month for them. I made these lip balm cards in Jan.
Old 12-03-2010, 06:56 AM   #12
Glitter Queen

i'm not a teacher, my mother is but, can i just say "WOW!!!!!" here in s. florida home made food is not usually allowed in public schools to be brought in for classroom treats and not suggested for teacher gifts. the private school that my dd is at not does not allow nuts of any kind on the campus for any reason. with that being said most schools do teacher appreciation for one week out of the year and most everything is bought. my mother would be in heaven if she got some of the gifts you guys are talking about.

StS 2010 Earned: $635.50 Spent: $162.47 Difference: $473.03
Old 12-04-2010, 03:18 PM   #13
Insane Embellisher

Skip To My Lou has TONS of neat ideas for Teacher Appreciation!

I've heard that the flower thing our schools do go over really well as do the days when the kids are asked to make their teachers a card!
Old 02-02-2011, 02:27 PM   #14
Matboard Maniac

Wow, I wish I worked at some of these schools. I would love to get some of these gifts just to feel like I was appreciated. We get a luncheon once a year and got a bottle of hand lotion for Christmas this year. That is the extent of it. Receiving something homemade means you cared enough to spend the time. I make many small gift to give to the other teachers on my grade level just to tell them I enjoy working with them and they all love it. So, ladies keep up the good work. We teachers really appreciated it!

Kim
Old 02-15-2011, 08:16 AM   #15
Hardware Hotshot

These are amazing ideas that I can't wait to try out on my co-workers
Old 07-01-2011, 09:33 AM   #16
Glitter Queen

I am reading all of these and am especially pleased to see the comments from appreciative teachers. Here in the UK, we dont have teacher appreciation day, but we often supply little gifts at Christmas and at the end of each year. I do a little choc pressie for each of the kids in my son's class at Christmas, Easter and Summer.

However, the real point of this reply, is that a friend of mine said that her teacher friend ends up throwing away most of her pressies - she gets so many key-rings, mugs etc that she cant possibly keep them all - she feels terrible but because they have "fave teacher" "No1 teacher" etc on them she cant even donate them.

This has made me think - I always try to supply something that will be consumed quickly, rather than something to be kept and "viewed". But it does make me a little "jaded" about the gifts I supply. This year I will be giving a bottle of wine with a small bar of choc hanging on it for each of my son's main teachers. I am hoping that this means it will be consumed relatively quickly!!!

Do other teacher's experience the same issues with receiving gifts - I mean, how many nasty smelling bubble baths can you house when you only have showers???

Are there any words of wisdom that teachers can supply re the gifts they would really, really appreciate - or are my bottles of wine and choc ok???
Old 07-04-2011, 09:07 AM   #17
Forum Fanatic

I'd love a bottle of something alcoholic! LOL If a student brought it on campus, however, he would be in a lot of trouble due to "no substance policies." I think it is a great idea as long as you know the teacher drinks wine. I don't. Although, it could be shared with guests in the home or regifted. Honestly, for me, it is the thought that counts, regardless of the gift!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruthgedalovitch View Post
I am reading all of these and am especially pleased to see the comments from appreciative teachers. Here in the UK, we dont have teacher appreciation day, but we often supply little gifts at Christmas and at the end of each year. I do a little choc pressie for each of the kids in my son's class at Christmas, Easter and Summer.

However, the real point of this reply, is that a friend of mine said that her teacher friend ends up throwing away most of her pressies - she gets so many key-rings, mugs etc that she cant possibly keep them all - she feels terrible but because they have "fave teacher" "No1 teacher" etc on them she cant even donate them.

This has made me think - I always try to supply something that will be consumed quickly, rather than something to be kept and "viewed". But it does make me a little "jaded" about the gifts I supply. This year I will be giving a bottle of wine with a small bar of choc hanging on it for each of my son's main teachers. I am hoping that this means it will be consumed relatively quickly!!!

Do other teacher's experience the same issues with receiving gifts - I mean, how many nasty smelling bubble baths can you house when you only have showers???

Are there any words of wisdom that teachers can supply re the gifts they would really, really appreciate - or are my bottles of wine and choc ok???
Old 11-13-2011, 12:21 PM   #18
Cardstock Collector

I work at an innercity school, so quite honestly we don't get very many appreciation gifts from parents and due to budget cuts very little from administration. On the other hand, my students are always making cards and pictures for me. Occassionally, I will get a flower they picked or a handful of fall leaves. I treasure them because they come from the heart.
Old 01-23-2012, 10:03 AM   #19
Stazon Splitcoast

Back in the day (way back!) when my kids were in Elementary School, a friend and I took over Teacher Appreciation Week. The first year we did it wasa tough year as the teachers were on stirke almost 3 weeks in Febrauary over a contract dispute. Many of the parents were not feeling too generous at the time and the teachers returned without resolution so there were some bitter feelings on both sides. We new we had a difficult task that year.

We planned a week of activities and every day we had a theme. Some of themes we did that year and in subsequent years. Parents donated food and we used the money from our budget to purchase prizes.

1. Garden Day: all food items had ingredients grown in gardens. (salads, zuchini bread, etc)
2. Desert Day: No explanation needed an always a hit!
3. Italian Day: Italian food only.

The biggest hit of all were our contests. Each day depending on the theme we raffled prizes:

On Garden Day, we raffled off gift certificates to our local garden store.
We had "Crazy Hat Day" and challenged the teachers to wear a crazy hat. Gift certificates were awarded to the top 3 winners and they came up with some hilarious hats.

Another big hit was Teacher Trivia Day. We handed out quizzes with multiple choice questions about the faculty. We even included a trivia question about each of us!

Almost all the staff contacted Kathy and I at the end of the the week that first year and told us what fun they had. They really appreciated it after what had transpired that Winter.

Now that my kids are out of school, except for one in high school, I really miss those days. For the HS teachers Staff Appreciation I donated herb plants last year with matching cards from the SU Herb Expressions set. The teachers liked those as well.
Old 01-23-2012, 07:13 PM   #20
Compulsive Stamper

Send a message via Yahoo to patriciao73

Wow! I wish I worked at some of these schools too! But my school is not bad. We have TGIF every two weeks on Friday mornings, where a group/grade level of people is responsible for bringing breakfast items for those who participate! And recently along with our students of the week, our admin has been picking an employee/faculty member of the week and we get to pick out a prize; so far it has been $5 gift cards to like Subway or a smoothie place or coffee shop! Our PTO helps out with those prizes.
Old 02-29-2012, 02:39 PM   #21
Glitter Queen

I was reading some of these posts...I am a retired teacher. I would have loved the stuff that you area all doing for teachers. All that I can say is...please...no more apples...unless I can eat it. When I retired, I had a huge apple collection. It is all in a box in the closet. It was cute when I was new...but then it got old in a hurry. So...keep doing what you are already doing and cut back on the apples...LOL!
Old 03-01-2012, 08:46 AM   #22
Polyshrink Goddess

Teacher appreciation week is in Feb here and our home and school was a little blindsided by that as it seems everywhere else is in may.
So we chose the week before March break to really do it up
We are doing...

Class pictures where the kids are holding a sign (can't remember what the sign says exactly). The picture is mounted to bristle board and all the kids get to write a message around it.

3 days of the week have home cooked lunch one is meatballs and rice
one is soup and sandwiches and the other is a Indian korma.

I have made a mailbox treat for each day of the week.
with cute sayings on them.
thanks for putting your heart into teaching is on a chocolate heart on a stick that looks like a flower
candy coins with a tag that says your work with our children is more precious than gold
peppermint patties with a sign you're worth a mint to us
and werthers originals with we didn't know werther or not you realized how much we appreciate you
the last one is tags that go in bags of popcorn that say you add POP to our school.

I found all of these on splitcoast years ago and have had them saved in my computer.
Our teacher moral seems to be down lately hopefully this will help a little.

after reading this thread washing cars in June might be a good idea!
Old 05-05-2012, 06:02 AM   #23
Stazon Splitcoast

I'm making a few gifts today for Staff Appreciation Day today at DS high school. HS teachers don't seem to get as much recognition as our Elementary staff.

In any case, the Staff Appreciation organizers get food donations for a lunch and they raffle small door prizes. I purchsed 3 herbs (lavender, Basil and Thyme) and I'm outting them in a little basket. With each herb I am putting matching note cards from the Stampin Up! Herb expressions set. Hope they like them!
Old 06-09-2012, 02:56 PM   #24
Matboard Maniac

I'm so fortunate..I teach in a small private school and our TEacher Appreciation committee is fabulous. This year we got cute stamped coasters with our initials, candy, cookies, note cards, Starbuck's cards, and lunches. At the end of the year luncheon all parents in the school contributed what they wanted to or could .ast year and we got tote bags with insulated cups, note cards, stickers for the coming year, memo pads, markers, etc....anything that we could use. Some parents donated nail polish, sugarless gum, etc. It was so fun to see our goodie bags and every one was different!
Old 06-09-2012, 09:46 PM   #25
Stazon Splitcoast

I really wanted to make treats for all 43 certified teachers at our middle school this year, but I only managed to get it done for 4 of the 5 days. While the "store bought" rule applies to items for classrooms, the teachers love my home baked goods. The first day I made homemade "Hostess" cupcakes. The second day I made Lemon Bars. The third day I made mini Tollhouse cookies and put them into new, empty pint milk cartons that I was able to obtain from a local store. Afterward, I wished I had bought the half-pint cartons instead...haha! The fourth day I had started to make homemade caramel popcorn mixed with Craisins, M&M's, and drizzled with milk chocolate but I couldn't get it all done so they got that treat for day 5. My day 5 treat was going to be a cupcake that looks like an apple.
I was disappointed that I didn't get all 5 days done, but I certainly knew I had done my share. I can't even remember how many pounds of butter I went through... and eggs. Lots of eggs.

Oh, and just a funny to share... about 2 months ago, I had to pick my son up from school early. When I signed my name to check him out, the lady working the desk (not the usual person) said, "Oh, you're the cupcake lady!" haha.
Old 07-15-2012, 08:11 AM   #26
Cardstock Collector

For my son's teachers I keep my eye out for cute little TRAVEL PACKS; ie: bath & shower lotion, hand cream, soap, etc CRABTREE & EVELYN especially when they're on sale I have also made up some mini mug hampers with a mug (of course), different tea sachets and a variety of coffee sachets too.