Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-20-2011, 08:57 PM   #1
Polyshrink Goddess

Default Spanish teachers: Crafting ideas for Dia de los Muertos

I'm a high school Spanish teacher and October is my favorite month for so many reasons. In class we get to talk about one of the coolest Hispanic holidays....Dia de los Muertos (forgive the lack of accent marks). For other Spanish teachers out there, in Spanish I we're creating little 3D ofrendas by cutting the face out of a cereal box, covering the box with paper and creating 3 interior shelves where they will put minitures or paper cutouts of papel picado, cempazuchil, pan de muerto, candles, etc. The shadow boxes hang in the hallway for a few weeks using 3M command strips.

For Spanish II I bought some medium sized plastic skulls on clearance (tis the season) and I'm spray painting them white or black (each student chooses) Using puff and glitter paints to create calacas like the sugar skulls that are a staple of the holiday. These will also go on display. Can't wait to see what the kids come up with!

As my best friend says, "Stamping....it's cheaper than therapy" to which I add, "Not by much".

My mom was the proud recipient of my first handmade card. Cost $200.

~My Gallery~
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 01-22-2012, 08:36 AM   #2
Mad Swapper

This is one of my favorite celebrations. I'm sorry I'm late to this but just saw it and wanted to comment. I'm so glad you are doing this with your class as I feel it's something that is first misunderstood, and second being lost among our young people in an effort to Americanize ourselves.

Really appreciating and celebrating the lives of those who have passed on before us is such an important part of our heritage.

That you are not only sharing by teaching a younger generation the true meaning behind it but also having them create alters in rememberance is very cool. The more we appreciate those we've lost, the more we can appreciate those who are in our lives today.

I do have a suggestion on the ofrendas for future, altoid tins or similar type candy tins make great alters that are easily stored and can be kept for future rememberances. They are small, compact and sturdy. Perhaps asking for donations of these from students and teachers would enable you to use those in the future. Also much less time consuming than cutting out alters from cereal boxes. That takes a lot of dedication on your part and again I think you are top notch!
Old 02-23-2012, 01:16 AM   #3
Mad Swapper

I completed this project with third-graders this year: Day of Dead Mask

I know it is simple for high-school, but there decorations could be more detailed (also could probably be completed in 1 class period with high-school students).
Old 02-29-2012, 06:51 AM   #4
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by monicas silcott View Post
I completed this project with third-graders this year: Day of Dead Mask

I know it is simple for high-school, but there decorations could be more detailed (also could probably be completed in 1 class period with high-school students).
what an excellent idea! Your students will love this class, I bet you are an amazing teacher!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!